The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default The Shadewright, a shadow-conjuring gish with multifaceted archetypes

Hello, folks!
    So, this is a new class I've been working on called the shadewright. It's a gish-type class that, while lacking spellcasting, gets access to shadow conjuration as a spell-like ability and also gets to create weapons (and armor via an archetype) out of pure shadow-stuff. The class itself is fairly simple, but I created a whole slew of selectable abilities (called gloamings) as well as a whooping 9 archetypes to make the class more customizable.

This is a link to the Google Drive folder containing all the documents pertaining to the shadewright:

Shadewright Files

If changes are made in response to critiques of the class, all documents in that folder will be updated, so that link will perennially be the place to go to find the most up-to-date versions of everything regarding the shadewright.

That being said, I would obviously advice people who find this class interesting to start with the Shadewright document, moving on to the Shadewright Gloamings document, before taking a gander at the archetypes. I would love any feedback on both the main class and the archetypes, however, as the latter feel rather integral to the class as a whole. I have toyed with the idea of dissolving some or all of them into separate "disciplines" within the class that shadewrights can select, although as of right now I think they're fine being reviewed as merely archetypes. Here is a small description of each archetype to give people an overview:

Bleak Clerk - Based around the idea of having a magical bag full of "lost items" that replaces the call shadows ability. Also gets sneak attack and some weird bureaucrat/gentleman spy abilities.

Deceiver - Based around feinting and creating debilitating effects through the Bluff skill. Gains abilities based on lies, deceit and rumors.

Dusk Mage - A casting-focused version of the class that reduces its HD and BAB as well as nixing the shade blade ability to focus solely on shadow conjuring.

Horrorist - Fear- and intimidate-focused archetype that creates a fear aura, can smite people stricken with fear conditions and gains some terror-themed powers.

Mimeomancer - Gains a shadowy copy of themselves that they can control, replacing the shadow conjuring powers of a normal shadewright. Also gains access to various gloamings based on mimicry and copycat behavior.

Night Gardener - Shadow druid-esque archetype, uses umbral vines and thorns and similar to attack people, gaining an at-will damage-over-time ability by embedding shadow splinters in enemies. Can build hedge mazes.

Shadow Warrior - A more martial-focused archetype. Gains full bab with its shade blade attacks, can make shade armor, reduced shadow conjuring and a few martial-themed unique gloamings.

Tragedian - A sort of shadowy anti-bard that debuffs with its bardic performance and gains access to various sonic- and performance-based new gloamings.

Umbramorph - Based around donning an umbral costume to gain evolutions, as well as becoming more adept at shadow summoning than a regular shadewright. Can make shade strike attacks with semi-incorporeal "shadow limbs".

So that's it. I hope that might give people an idea of which archetypes they might want to explore. As I said, I appreciate any and all commentary. Hope you enjoy!
    Cheers,
    - Gears

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Shadewright, a shadow-conjuring gish with multifaceted archetypes

Let me be the first to say, I adore the concept and the flavor you have presented with these, and the formatting serves to emphasize this. From the flavor and presentation standpoint alone, I have become interested in this.

Im still looking over the class, and the diverse and wondrous archetypes along with it, but so far I don't see anything that requires fixing. The flavors presented within allow one to explore all sorts of things within shadow, and while not all of them dazzle me, I wouldn't change a single one of them.

That being said, there is one thing I would like to add. It is rather thrown together, so it may be too weak or strong, but its an additional option to consider.

Spoiler
    Show

Shadewright
    A character who chooses shadewright as her secondary class gains the following class features.
    Shade Blade (Su) At 3rd level, she gains the shade blade and shadow reservoir class features. These function as a shadewright of her character level -2.
    Gloaming At 7th level, she gains one gloaming. She treats her character level as her effective shadewright level when determining whether or not she can select a gloaming
    Call Shadows (Sp) At 11th level, she gains the call shadows class feature as a shadewright of her character level -4.
    Improved Gloaming At 15th level, she gains one additional gloaming
    Greater Gloaming At 19th level, she gains one additional gloaming

Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Shadewright, a shadow-conjuring gish with multifaceted archetypes

You are too sweet (although judging from that avatar you may just be an umbral infiltrator sent here lull me into a sense of false security :P). I'm elated you like the concept, and I'm glad you found the archetypes worth looking over. It feels a bit strange, creating a class where the archetypes become such an integral part of it, but I am very proud of them. They are indeed very quirky and niche at times, and I would hardly expect the same player type to find all nine of them interesting! I would be curious to learn which archetypes you like more and why, though. They obviously differ a fairish bit in terms of both flavor, power level and overall complexity, so I could see a plethora of reasons for preferring one or another.

That being said, I'm glad the class at least looks balanced at a glance. That tells me it might not contain any glaring errors. Some of the archetypes contain subsystems I think are balanced but which, being somewhat experimental in nature, are rather hard to determine the overall power level of. This class is fresh off the assembly line, so I have not had time to playtest it thoroughly yet.

I think your VMC (clearly following the mold of the magus') seems quite balanced, if a bit on the powerful side for VMCs. One thing to keep in mind is that gloamings tend, overall, to be a bit more powerful than magus arcanas. This is because I reckon the magus' other class features to be, on the whole, superiror to shade blade/shade strike + class shadows. I'm not sure if that means your suggestion needs altering, though. If so, I couldn't think of how, because it looks like how I think I would have done it. Possibly replacing some part of it with the shady ability? I'm not sure. I think it's good as is, overall.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look and I'm glad it tickles your fancy!
    Cheers,
    - Gears
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-18 at 12:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really like the shadewright, winds up being a sort of weird beguiler/soulblade//shadowdancer mash up.

I'm glad that the shadow bolt lets you apply the gloamings (just because flinging around entangling bolts of shadow is my kind of thing). I may have missed it in skimming over, but is there something that would let a shadewright get abjuration under their belt? I'm a fan of counterspells as a rule, but dispel magic is always the easiest way to deal with that, and destructive dispel is a fun idea.
    Last edited by Aergoth; 2015-09-18 at 02:30 PM.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thanks for giving the shadewright a look, Aergoth! I'm glad you seem to like it.

To answer your question, I did somewhat deliberately eschew granting too many defensive abilities to the shadewright, focusing instead on stealth powers or sheer debuffing offense (with a touch of damage). Thus they do rather lack abjuration powers, though I would be willing to look into some abjuration-themed gloamings.

As for dispelling, there is the umbral dispel gloaming, which lets you dispel any spell you'd be capable of mimicking via call shadows, and later on gives you a sort of improved spell-turning. This ability would not be usable to together with Destructive Dispel, but it is activated as an immediate action. At 12th level a shadewright with the dusk mage archetype could use this ability to counterspell and turn any conjuration (restricted to creation and summoning) and also either any evocation or any necromancy spell of a spell level equal to or lower than 1/2 her class level. At 13th level, via Extra Gloaming, she could spell-turn a spell from any of those three schools (subschool restrictions included) of the appropriate level.

Hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    - Gears
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-18 at 02:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I have been thinking and I do have two ideas to offer.

1. Healing and Shadewrights: I think it would be interesting to provide a way for shadewrights, of an archetype or in general, to draw spells off the cleric spell list with their call shadows. Namely, for call shadows to become able to produce conjuration (healing) effects, though others would be of interest too. Healing, the way I figure it, would result in x% healing with any amount beyond that be a sort of temporary hit points that don't exceed one's maximum and fade after x amount of time. It would be odd, all things considered, but it is a thought.

2. Shadewrights and the occult: While i've noticed at least one archetype draws something from occult adventures, and I think the content here would sit just fine as is with the content there, I would be interested in seeing more opportunities for integration with the tools there. Now, whether that means something that makes their (Sp) count as psychic in nature rather than arcane (the default, as I understand it, given they draw from the sorcerer/wizard list), or maybe they become a sort of umbrakineticist (maybe a "shadow burn" feature, turning them con based), or there are other things they can mimic or utilize, I don't know. Its a thought.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I actually like both yours ideas, Xuldarinar. Thanks for the input!

Since healing spells, as noted, are of the conjuration school, it would indeed make sense to create an archetype focused on quasi-real curatives. I do quite like that flavor, actually. I think I'll try creating an archetype rather than just a series of gloamings, although if I cannot come up with a combination of new class features that works, I may do gloamings instead. I'll try to get something like that uploaded in the next few days.

I'm not completely sure how to do a more "Occult Adventures"-themed shadewright archetype. Since spell-like abilities famously lack components (which would include thought and emotion components as well as the normal kind, I should say?), changing them from arcane to psychic would not actually have an impact. I do however like the idea of some kind of shadowy blaster, maybe not literally using the kineticist's burn mechanic (of which I have to say I am not a fan, though I otherwise like the class quite a bit), but certainly something along the lines of an "umbrakineticist" could work. However, the kineticist has the least purely "occult" feel of all the OA classes, at least in my view, so it might make sense to also create some kind of medium/psychic/seance/commune with spirits-themed archetype as well. If I come up with something for either one or both of these ideas, I'll post it here. I may even start on this one before the healing idea if I feel inspired. I'll let you know!

Cheers,
    - Gears

8. - Top - End - #8

As far as Xuldarinar's quasi-real healing idea what if you meshed it with rules from the alchemist's infusions/extracts?
    Quasi-real tonics distilled from the shadow plane.
    Personally I'd throw in shades of the vivisectionist and/or the hungry ghost monk (the way it steals ki and gains temporary hit points seems particularly appropriate).
    At higher levels you might be able to invert the effects of healing magic on a target (damaging people with positive energy, healing undead with positive energy).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aergoth View Post
    As far as Xuldarinar's quasi-real healing idea what if you meshed it with rules from the alchemist's infusions/extracts?
    Quasi-real tonics distilled from the shadow plane.
    Personally I'd throw in shades of the vivisectionist and/or the hungry ghost monk (the way it steals ki and gains temporary hit points seems particularly appropriate).
    At higher levels you might be able to invert the effects of healing magic on a target (damaging people with positive energy, healing undead with positive energy).
    While personally I see it more coming from a cleric approach, resulting in some sort of shadow based pseudo-cleric, the alchemical route could work integrated in. It could also be its own thing, but we'll see what gets done. What ever the case may be, I am certain it will turn out to be flavorful and contribute to fill yet another niche with shadow.

10. - Top - End - #10

Beholder

Awesome stuff! I haven't gotten though all the archetypes but everything looks good so far. One of my favorite touches is the Regardless of Race favored class bonuses. I'm totally stealing that concept for my home games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

@Xuldarinar & Aergoth: Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm definitely taking it all under consideration. I do think both a shadow healer and a shadow alchemist could potentially exist as two distinct archetypes. We'll see what I can come up with. I'll post here as soon as I have something.

@lunaticfringe: Thanks! Glad you like it. Yeah, all my homebrew classes follow that rule; favored class bonuses are never tied to race. I've just never liked that idea, if I'm honest. It seems way too hard to balance, and doesn't really add much flavor. I mean, why do half-elf summoners have stronger eidolons? Why do ratfolk alchemists learn more discoveries while human ones learn more extracts? It has no thematic anchoring, or said anchoring is flimsy at best. Anyway, that's a rant for another thread. Steal away! Spread the gospel of the non-racist favored class bonus! :P

EDIT: Right. I just wanted to mention I made a tiny update to the night gardener archetype, clarifying that any creature adjacent to another creature with a shadow splinter embedded in its flesh can attempt to pull it out; it's not just your own shadow splinters you can attempt to pull out.
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-19 at 05:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Two things:

1: What is the Save DC against an effect generated by Call Shadows?

2: I offer a gift. An archetype for the shadewright I threw together on the spot, integrating a brew of my own, for those who would be interested in having a more malevolent aspect to their shadewright.

Spoiler
    Show

Tainted Shadewright

Intrinsic Corruption: A tainted shadewright always possesses a Taint score. If a character begins play as a tainted shadewright, they start with a taint score of 1. If not, then a character must acquire a taint score of atleast 1 before being able to become a tainted shadewright. In order to advance as a tainted shadewright, she must possess a Taint score of atleast 1/3 their level, rounded up. This applies, even when her call shadows ability would be advanced by another class. Should their Taint score fall beneath the minimum for a range of levels, for the purpose of all class features they are reduced to the greatest level they could possess with that taint score until their Taint score is increased, including spell level and the size of their shadow reservoir. If the tainted shadewright's Taint score is reduced below 1, they lose access to all class features with exception to their weapon proficiencies until their Taint score is returned to 1.

Tainted Reservoir (Su): The tainted shadewright draws her power not from pure umbral energy but from a pool of tainted energy through which she uses to siphon energy from the Shadow Plane. The tainted reservoir functions in all regards as the shadow reservoir except that it utilizes the tainted shadewright's Taint modifier in place of her Charisma modifier. Additionally, any class feature that draws points from this pool takes on the [Evil] descriptor, becoming an evil act and increasing the tainted shadewright's Taint score by +0.1 points, up to a maximum of 1, +1 for every three levels the tainted shadewright possesses beyond 1st level.

This ability alters shadow reservoir.

Malevolent Surge: A tainted shadowwright gains Malevolent Surge as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Note 1: For information on taint rules pertaining to pathfinder, follow the following link to complete taint.

Note 2: This archetype is meant to be compatible with all currently existing archetypes of the Shadewright class. Given the diversity and the emphasis put upon these archetypes, the goal was to make something that could lend itself to any of them, rather than something to stand alone. If someone wanted to be a Tainted Horrorist, or a Tainted Umbramorph, they should be more than capable of doing so.

Edit: i added malevolent surge as a bonus feat at 1st level for consistency with other taint-centric archetypes. Given the potential drawbacks, I feel justified in doing it.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2015-09-21 at 12:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

First of all, I've finished one of three additional archetypes I am planning for the shadewright:

The Quacksalver

This is a disease- and healing-themed archetype that turns you into a sort of mixture between an umbral plague doctor and a tricksy shadowy snake-oil salesman. I hope people like it. The above is a direct link, but the archetype is located in the Google Drive folder linked to in the OP, and there's where people will always be able to find the most up-to-date version of the quacksalver, as with all other shadewright files.

The second archetype will be a kineticist-inspired blaster archetype called the Shadefire Adept, the third will be some form of ghost/seances/spirit channeling-themed archetype inspired by Occult Adventures, yet to be named. I'll hopefully get both of these done in the coming week or two.

Second, @Xuldarinar:

1. Because call shadows is a spell-like ability (and also because of the further specification right at the end of the call shadows entry in the main shadewright document), the DC would be equal to 10 + the maximum spell level the shadewright is capable of mimicking via call shadows + the shadewright's Charisma modifier. So that at 1st level the DC would be 11 + Cha, at 4th level 12 + Cha, at 7th level 13 + Cha, et cetera. Do note that Spell Focus works just fine with spell-like abilities in the PF rules and thus Spell Focus (illusion) would be able to boost call shadows' DC further.

2. That looks really interesting! It certainly adds a very interesting dimension to the class' flavor, and one I definitely approve of it having! I'll have to give your Taint system a more thorough read-through, but I like that you made a simple archetype that seamlessly functions with all the other ones, since I daresay all of mine could benefit greatly from an extra dash of evlulz! :)
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-21 at 08:22 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

I dig the flavour! Would love to see a gloaming to improve the quality of the healing provided though, maybe switching it up to half actual healing/half temporary?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Actually, Aergoth, I would posit that the umbral nostrum ability doesn't really need the sort of boost turning it into "true" healing would grant. Now, I wouldn't be averse to creating such a gloaming, even if I do feel the document is running a bit long as it is. But the way I see it, the quacksalver isn't really your standard healer. I.e., out of combat their healing might be rather nonexistent, but instead quacksalvers have the ability to cast healing spells as immediate actions at higher levels (even if they don't actually cure hit points), they can cast any healing spell spontaneously, and get up to 9th-level spells, and their pseudo-healing instead grants far more temporary hit points than even Greater False Life, and for the same duration. On top of this, they can provide it all for other party members to drink in potion form. Obviously, gaining hour-per-level relief from blindness is not actually as good as getting that blindness permanently removed, but in the pinch in combat it's the same thing, and a quacksalver can do this on the fly for any condition that has a (healing) spell to cure it. With all these benefits in mind (and I may well be overestimating them!) I am a bit leery of also granting the archetype access to "true" healing.

Sorry if that got a bit ramble-y. Just wanted to explain my thinking thoroughly. I'll mull it over. Glad you like the overall feel of the archetype at least. I did end up going for trying to combine Xuldarinar's idea of a traditional cleric-style healer with your more alchemist-tinged suggestion, and I think it turned out alright.

Cheers,
    - Gears

16. - Top - End - #16

It's lovely, and I think it's as good as meshing those two concepts are going to get without losing some from one or the other.

The option for a quacksalver to function as a secondary healer along the lines of a bard, witch or paladin would help the shadewright and archetypes mesh into groups a little better. They don't have strong dedicated healing, but my concern is more with the ability to use actual magical healing which would stop certain effects that merely granting temporary hit points don't (ie. bleed).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That is a fair point about bleed damage. I hadn't thought of that actually. I'll see if I can cobble together some simple gloaming to allow them to make their healing a bit more real at a cost. I'll post here when I figure something out.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quick update: I think I found a rather neat way to go about granting the quacksalver some "real" healing, while simultaneously granting them another ability Aergoth asked after earlier, namely the ability to heal undead with positive energy. I've added the following to the Quacksalver document in the Google Docs folder:

Spoiler
    Show
    Umbral Remedy (Su)

By spending 1 additional shadow point as part of conjuring an umbral nostrum, the shadewright can will a bit more of both reality and warping shadowy energies into it, transforming it into an umbral remedy. An umbral remedy functions exactly like a regular umbral nostrum of the same spell, except as follows: if the umbral remedy would ordinarily grant temporary hit points, it only grants half as many temporary hit points. The rest of its healing instead functions like normal magical healing. An umbral remedy of a "cure" spell does not deal damage to undead creatures, but instead grants temporary hit points to and heals them just as it does living creatures. A shadewright must possess the umbral nostrum ability to learn this gloaming.

We'll see if anything about hurting living creatures with positive energy comes up later; this felt more relevant for the nonce, however.

Cheers,
    - Gears
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-21 at 10:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So, I am getting some feedback on the Paizo boards (where I have another Shadewright thread); the idea is being floated of making shade blades (and similar abilities granted via archetypes) last for 4 hours at 1st level, plus 1 additional hour at every class level after 4th (or something similar). Also considering dropping the two gloamings that give access to evocation and necromancy spells via call shadows (biting shadows and necrotic shadows) to be available at 6th level rather than 9th.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So, after mulling a few things over, I've made the following changes: the shade blade ability, and similar abilities possessed by archetypes that require a 10-minute ritual to complete (shade mail, umbral costume etc.), have had their durations changed to 4 hours plus one hour per class level after 4th.

I lowered the level prereq of biting shadows and necrotic shadows from 9th level to 6th level. I also lowered the prereq for the dusk mage's boundless shadows gloaming from 12th to 9th level.

Lastly, I extended the duration of the portable shade gloaming from 1 minute per class level to 10 minutes per class level.

All these changes are now reflected in the Google Docs files in the link in the OP.

Hopefully the shadefire adept (blasty archetype) and the twilight mystic (occult adventures-y archetype) will be done before the week runs out!

Cheers,
    - Gears

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alright, here it is:

The Shadefire Adept Archetype

As always, if changes are made, the most up-to-date version can be found in the Google Docs folder linked to in the OP.

EDIT: Someone at the Paizo boards caught the fact that, as written, improved and greater shadow familiars (gained via the gloamings so named) can technically create spawn. This is not intended, so I'll be editing the Gloamings doc to reflect this.
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-22 at 03:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Gears View Post
    Alright, here it is:

The Shadefire Adept Archetype

As always, if changes are made, the most up-to-date version can be found in the Google Docs folder linked to in the OP.

EDIT: Someone at the Paizo boards caught the fact that, as written, improved and greater shadow familiars (gained via the gloamings so named) can technically create spawn. This is not intended, so I'll be editing the Gloamings doc to reflect this.
    I gotta say, this is actually something i'd use before using kineticist, and I actually really like the kineticist class. I simply love it, and I do look forward to seeing the twilight mystic.

I think the edits you have made have been sound, not without good reason. I do wish I had perceived the level prerequisite issue, but it isn't that massive and it has been changed so.. big deal.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

@Xuldarinar: Glad you like it. I think both it and the Quacksalver posted above came out quite alright. I've created a lot of warlock-y blastery classes and archetypes over the years, but this one does have a sort of unique feel because of the shadow thematics. Anyway, the twilight mystic will probably require some more work and time than the shadefire adept, as I have in mind something a bit more experimental and unique mechanics-wise, but I'll post as soon as it's done!

Cheers,
    - Gears
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-22 at 03:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alright, so I have now finished the twilight mystic, and here is the direct link:

Twilight Mystic

I feel like it changes the class more than almost any archetype to date, so I hope it still balances out. Any comments would be appreciate. I thought this would be the last one, but I am now considering also creating a kyton-themed archetype that can graft bits of slain enemies onto itself to gain various abilities. I might do that one if people think it sounds cool. I'd also be open to any suggestions if people feel there are any shadow-themed niches missing that could be adequately filled by a shadewright archetype.

Cheers,
    - Gears

25. - Top - End - #25

Ranger/rogue-like archetype that makes semi-real traps from shadowstuff. This could replace the ability to gain most spells with emulating the create pit line, glyphs (maybe) and similar spells. Or heck, emulate knock with a skeleton key made of shadowstuff. (I might find myself writing this and I already have three projects on the go!)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Gears View Post
    Alright, so I have now finished the twilight mystic, and here is the direct link:

Twilight Mystic

I feel like it changes the class more than almost any archetype to date, so I hope it still balances out. Any comments would be appreciate. I thought this would be the last one, but I am now considering also creating a kyton-themed archetype that can graft bits of slain enemies onto itself to gain various abilities. I might do that one if people think it sounds cool. I'd also be open to any suggestions if people feel there are any shadow-themed niches missing that could be adequately filled by a shadewright archetype.

Cheers,
    - Gears

What do I think of the Twilight Mystic? Well, unhelpful as it may be, my first thoughts were "Ooooooo".

Now to elaborate;

Shadow Seance is a flavorful and interesting class feature. This sets the stage for the archetype being medium-like in nature, and it is something I feel suits it well. The ability to cast psychic spells arguably opens feat opportunities, and even if it doesn't it still permits one to utilize skill unlocks while they have their umbral spirit. The choice in spell lists it can utilize is something I think works in its favor, and while it is this aspect that sets it apart in some ways far more than others, it isn't something I think drifts too far from the spirit of the shadewright class. I cannot speak for the balance of it, only that I don't see anything broken or that makes this a strictly superior/inferior choice in relation to the other archetypes.

Given my overt fondness for the fiends of the shadow plane, I have one thing to say: I look forward to seeing what the archetype looks like, and the spray of gore that follows in its wake.

A shadow(trap)smith type archetype is one niche not filled, and it would be an intriguing notion to see explored.

Another niche is not unlike that of a monk, be it the ascetic aspect or the punching people rapidly in the face. I do think this may best be accomplished, not with an archetype but a few gloaming, not that I oppose the notion of a unique archetype for it. Here is one gloaming though:

Spoiler
    Show

Shadow Ki
    The shadewright may use points from his shadow reservoir and ki points from a ki pool granted by another class interchangeably.

Another might be to instead of forge a blade of shadowstuff, to envelop one's hand in it. Not sure the precise mechanics to it, but its an idea.

Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2015-09-24 at 10:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I could probably take a stab at a sort of thief/cat burglar/shadow infiltrator-style archetype, unless you'd rather do it, Aergoth?

I'm also going to add Xuldarinar's VMC suggestion to the main shadewright document.

EDIT: Xuldarinar's reply snuck in while I was writing mine. No, I think the twilight mystic is fine. Or, at least, the more I look at it, I don't feel like I would feel overly compelled to play one over a regular shadewright based on pure power level, or vice versa.

I actually think an "ascetic" archetype could be rolled into my kyton-themed idea, as kytons have this weird monk/nun/hermit-theme running through their names and such. I'll try to do one like that, adding in Xuldarinar's ki gloaming, and then some sort of shadow burglar (with traps!), again, unless someone else really wants to do that one?

Cheers,
    - Gears
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-24 at 10:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

You should team up for later projects.

If you need more ideas, try theurging with homebrew classics.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That could definitely be fun! I have this massive backlog of more-or-less-finished homebrew stuff that I'm trying to post at some sort of reasonable rate, though some of it has been obsoleted a bit by recent Paizo and 3pp releases (goodbye elementalist class, we hardly knew ye!)

I do feel like I have to cap the number of archetypes somewhere, though: a ranger/rogue/trapper/thief one and a kyton/creepy umbral monk/hermit one are both good ideas. After that I may shift my focus from the shadewright for a while.

Cheers,
    - Gears

EDIT: Agh! I just noticed the Nightblade 3pp class! Well, it does seem to be a rather different take on shadow magic from the shadewright, at least. Less weird. We'll always weirdness! :P
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-24 at 10:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

I'd love to take a crack or two at the trapsmith, just to provide idea fodder if nothing else.