New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default 1001 Fun and Optimized(Or just nonsuckish) character ideas!

Let's list 1001 optimized (Or just non-suckish) builds that will be fun to play as! Sure, uber-high numbers are cool, but what is it like to play the game using them?

Starting level 6, no books disallowed, maximum cheese accepted, but minimal cheese and acceptance from the GM preferred. Post what the build will be like at 10, 15, and 20, too. It'd be neat to make a competition like this, but for now, let's focusing on getting a whole bunch of fun characters together.

>inb4 "level 20 commoner, skill focus: tumble, playable Tarrasque, lel"
    >inb4 "The other contest is better"
    >inb4 OP cant inb4
    >tfw you see the pony thread simulators and accidentally learn how to type like this
    >mfw

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 1001 Fun and Optimized(Or just nonsuckish) character ideas!

Spoiler: 1. A Giant Goes Bowling
    Show
    Race: Half-Minotaur Goliath
    Classes: Warblade 5/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Hulking Hurler 2/Master Thrower 5/Fighter 2.
    Necessary Feats (other than pre-reqs): Natural Heavyweight
    Items: Belt of the Earth, Armbands of Continuous (Arms of Stone), +1 Adamantine pointy improvised object, +1 Adamantine Bowling Ball

At level 13 and onward, you're working with Str 42 including items; combined with Full BAB and a magic weapon, this makes for a devastating full attack even without improvised weapons. For your entire career (from the very beginning), you can wield an object as a weapon as long as it's less than 40 lbs according to the rules in Complete Warrior (since you're Large sized and have the Powerful Build feature; we'll assume your DM is operating on RAI rather than RAW for this); such an object deals 4d6 base damage (assuming it's pointy; make sure it's pointy). So that way, you can get multiple attacks with that powerful weapon; you can get even more attacks, if you go the TWF route. At ECL 11, you can start attacking with your pointy object at range, making you more versatile in-combat. Finally, if you're not facing multiple opponents, or opponents who can mitigate up to one attack a round (such as by using Wings of Cover, or some sort of Missile Deflection ability that works on small boulders, like a Giant's rock-catching ability), you can whip out your magical adamantine bowling ball.

This little baby, like your normal weapons, is enchanted through an interesting path of loopholes: normally, improvised weapons can't be enchanted, because only masterwork weapons can be enchanted; however, any object can be made out of adamantine, and any adamantine weapon (including improvised weapons) counts as masterwork for the purposes of enchantment. You now have a +1 Adamantine Boulder Bowling Ball weighing up to your Medium Load; for real play, I suggest actually making it weigh a good deal less than your actual Medium Load, in case the enemy tries to shrink you or zap your Strength. Assuming you're Large instead of Huge, and have a 30 Str instead of a 42 Str, we end up with an 8512 lbs adamantine bowling ball; assuming adamantine weighs about as much as steel, your big bowling ball is roughly 38 inches in diameter...and, when you take a full round action to toss it, deals 45d6 damage, plus bonuses. That's an average of 157.5 damage per hit, or over 300 on a crit. Add on layers as your Strength increases over the levels...or just start with it bigger and assume your allies will keep you safe from those nasty effects.

BTW, if you find a way to make sure your Str can't be drained and your size can't be reduced (likely through magic items or helpful allies), you can wield a much bigger bowling ball at all times...one weighing in at 88576 lbs. That sucker is just over 7 ft in diameter and deals 445d6 damage to whatever poor soul gets in its way...assuming they can't mitigate it once per round. Incidentally, allies finding ways of granting you extra full round actions could be very useful.
    Spoiler: 2. Shooting Stars (not to be confused with Meteor Swarm)
    Show
    This build is heavily dependent on one easy-to-make RAI decision by a DM: magic and/or adamantine ammunition is not automatically destroyed on a hit.

Race: Halfling
    Classes: Rogue 1/Halfling Paragon 3/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Master Thrower 5/Rogue 6
    Necessary Feats (other than pre-reqs and obvious ones): Weapon Finesse, Power Attack
    Items: 2 +something Adamantine Shuriken w/ TBD enchantments (4066.2 gp each for the equivalent of a +10 weapon)

Here's a link to the Shuriken Handbook. If your DM agrees that magic adamantine ammo is destroyed on contact with soft flesh, this doesn't work so well; if your DM is a bit more realistic, and doesn't mind giving nice things to non-mages, this works out just fine. With the TWF tree, Rapid Shot, and Far Shot, you'll be a right terror within 30, even without proficiency.

Let's say you're wielding a pair of +5 Adamantine Shurikens with the Distance, Seeking, Wounding, and Collision enchantments. Your attack routine against creatures larger than you that don't have a phenomenal touch AC is going to ignore miss chance, have no range penalties up to 40 ft, and attack Touch AC at +12/+12/+12/+7/+7/+2/+2, dealing 25 damage (+1d6 if SA) or 75 on a crit (again, +1d6 if SA). And that's all at 14th level, with a couple of very generic shuriken; with a Batman-esque utility belt full of shuriken tailor-made to take out your opponents, you get even deadlier.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-09-23 at 05:59 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Spoiler: 1. A Giant Goes Bowling
    Show
    Race: Half-Minotaur Goliath
    Classes: Warblade 5/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Hulking Hurler 2/Master Thrower 5/Fighter 2.
    Necessary Feats (other than pre-reqs): Natural Heavyweight
    Items: Belt of the Earth, Armbands of Continuous (Arms of Stone), +1 Adamantine pointy improvised object, +1 Adamantine Bowling Ball

At level 13 and onward, you're working with Str 42 including items; combined with Full BAB and a magic weapon, this makes for a devastating full attack even without improvised weapons. For your entire career (from the very beginning), you can wield an object as a weapon as long as it's less than 40 lbs according to the rules in Complete Warrior (since you're Large sized and have the Powerful Build feature; we'll assume your DM is operating on RAI rather than RAW for this); such an object deals 4d6 base damage (assuming it's pointy; make sure it's pointy). So that way, you can get multiple attacks with that powerful weapon; you can get even more attacks, if you go the TWF route. At ECL 11, you can start attacking with your pointy object at range, making you more versatile in-combat. Finally, if you're not facing multiple opponents, or opponents who can mitigate up to one attack a round (such as by using Wings of Cover, or some sort of Missile Deflection ability that works on small boulders, like a Giant's rock-catching ability), you can whip out your magical adamantine bowling ball.

This little baby, like your normal weapons, is enchanted through an interesting path of loopholes: normally, improvised weapons can't be enchanted, because only masterwork weapons can be enchanted; however, any object can be made out of adamantine, and any adamantine weapon (including improvised weapons) counts as masterwork for the purposes of enchantment. You now have a +1 Adamantine Boulder Bowling Ball weighing up to your Medium Load; for real play, I suggest actually making it weigh a good deal less than your actual Medium Load, in case the enemy tries to shrink you or zap your Strength. Assuming you're Large instead of Huge, and have a 30 Str instead of a 42 Str, we end up with an 8512 lbs adamantine bowling ball; assuming adamantine weighs about as much as steel, your big bowling ball is roughly 38 inches in diameter...and, when you take a full round action to toss it, deals 45d6 damage, plus bonuses. That's an average of 157.5 damage per hit, or over 300 on a crit. Add on layers as your Strength increases over the levels...or just start with it bigger and assume your allies will keep you safe from those nasty effects.

BTW, if you find a way to make sure your Str can't be drained and your size can't be reduced (likely through magic items or helpful allies), you can wield a much bigger bowling ball at all times...one weighing in at 88576 lbs. That sucker is just over 7 ft in diameter and deals 445d6 damage to whatever poor soul gets in its way...assuming they can't mitigate it once per round. Incidentally, allies finding ways of granting you extra full round actions could be very useful.
    Spoiler: 2. Shooting Stars (not to be confused with Meteor Swarm)
    Show
    This build is heavily dependent on one easy-to-make RAI decision by a DM: magic and/or adamantine ammunition is not automatically destroyed on a hit.

Classes: Rogue 1/Halfling Paragon 3/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Master Thrower 5/Rogue 6
    Necessary Feats (other than pre-reqs and obvious ones): Weapon Finesse, Power Attack
    Items: 2 +something Adamantine Shuriken w/ TBD enchantments (4066.2 gp each for the equivalent of a +10 weapon); Permanancy'd Reduce Person (? gp)

Here's a link to the Shuriken Handbook. If your DM agrees that magic adamantine ammo is destroyed on contact with soft flesh, this doesn't work so well; if your DM is a bit more realistic, and doesn't mind giving nice things to non-mages, this works out just fine. With the TWF tree, Rapid Shot, and Far Shot, you'll be a right terror within 30, even without proficiency.

Let's say you're wielding a pair of +5 Adamantine Shurikens with the Distance, Seeking, Wounding, and Collision enchantments. Your attack routine against creatures larger than you that don't have a phenomenal touch AC is going to ignore miss chance, have no range penalties up to 40 ft, and attack Touch AC at +12/+12/+12/+7/+7/+2/+2, dealing 25 damage (+1d6 if SA) or 75 on a crit (again, +1d6 if SA). And that's all at 14th level, with a couple of very generic shuriken; with a Batman-esque utility belt full of shuriken tailor-made to take out your opponents, you get even deadlier.
    I love you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixStone93 View Post
    I love you.
    It's well known that the game doesn't like mundanes, and likes ranged combatants even less; thrown weapon combatants get the short end of both sticks. As it's an underdog competing for worst place with things like Core!Monk and Core!Fighter, I've gained an appreciation for thrown weapon combat...and picked up a couple interesting tricks along the way. Neither of these builds will be breaking any particular records, even in DPR, but for actual gameplay, they're fairly decent combatants, and one of them has a pile of skill points as well. And of course, one of them fights with a magic bowling ball. The visuals that gives me are incredibly amusing.

Incidentally, I'm working on another thrown weapon build for this called "Meteor Swarm"; the basic idea is a halfling sling-master whose "sling bullets" are actually boulders with a continuous "Shrink Item" cast on them. It's wonderful. And if you've got any concepts of your own (even those unrelated to thrown weapon combat) that you'd like to see come to life mechanically, shoot them at me and I'll see if I can whip up a build skeleton for them.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Do you want complete builds, or do stubs satisfy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Do you want complete builds, or do stubs satisfy?
    I've been providing stubs, mostly because I think the things my builds do can be adapted to different games. Play-ability is something that seems a bit more important for this thread: sure, we could submit Pun-Puns and Hulking Hurlers whose DPR is most easily measured in scientific notation, but those are just thought experiments that will never see a game table unless Tippy's sitting at it. Partial builds that show off a char-op trick and showing the path to reach it, while still allowing for some personal touches and flexibility, could let somebody browsing this thread get an idea or two for their own build.

So uh...I guess whatever you feel is best. I'd say build stubs that are enough to show off what the build wants to do, while still having enough holes not filled in the build for others to adopt it, but if you want to provide a complete build with every GP and XP accounted for, that's great too. This thread could use the interest, honestly.

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The next one shall be about Clerics that become awesome without needing DMM!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The next one shall be about Clerics that become awesome without needing DMM!
    Clerics were awesome before DMM existed and they can be awesome without it. It's just that, with it, they're even more awesome than ever before!

EDIT: I'll see if I can whip up a couple interesting Cleric builds...
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-09-23 at 04:06 PM.

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It's not exactly a cleric build, and it's not a personal creation, but it bears mentioning, because it's awesome. The second one is definitely a cleric build, though...even if it spends a good deal of time punching things.
    Spoiler: 3. Rainbow Warsnake Weaver
    Show
    Race: Human
    Classes: Warmage 1/Rainbow Servant 10/Sacred Exorcist 1/War Weaver 5/X 3
    Feats (other than pre-reqs): Versatile Spellcaster, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell

Boost your Charisma into the stratosphere through all means available*. With this build, you are capable of using your slots to cast any spell on the Warmage and Cleric spell lists spontaneously, and have access to DMM: Persist cheese via Sacred Exorcist; furthermore, War Weaver lets you target a group of friends with single target buffs, and even drop several such buffs on the group in a single round if you're really good at it. If you want more Metamagic cheese, make those last 3 levels Incantatrix; if you want more War Weaver cheese, make them Uncanny Trickster levels. Incantatrix can make metamagic much easier, while Uncanny Trickster will let you drop single-target 6th and 7th level spells on the whole party...like Energy Immunity, Heal, or Superior Resistance. Combining standard DMM: Persist awesomeness with Warmage makes for a powerful combatant all-around; hell, the one thing Clerics aren't super-good at is blasting, and Warmage covers that just fine.

*: When I say all means available, I mean it. If your DM is willing to allow this, take Leadership for a Vermin Lord 10 cohort with Wasp Swarm familiars. Polymorph yourself into a Wasp (or Wasp Swarm, if possible), and join his swarms...right as he turns them (and you) into a hivemind. Enjoy your +three hundred and something bonus to Int and Cha.
    Spoiler: 4. The (Pimp) Hand Of God
    Show
    Note: this build is only really viable if you're playing with gestalt, tristalt, or LA buyoff. Here's the regular version using LA Buyoff:

Race: Venerable Human
    Templates: Telthor; Saint
    Classes: Monk 2/Cleric 4/Sacred Fist 10/X 4
    Feats (other than pre-reqs): Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Intuitive Attack

This works best if you're starting at least at level 6-8, and preferably at leve 11; at ECL 11, you've bought off the Telthor template, and can become a Saint. Saint's "Fast Healing" cancels out the damage you take from leaving your main haunting ground, letting you go adventure. At this point, you have 2*Wis mod to AC, Wis to hit, your fists of fury targeting Touch AC, VoP benefits, Fast Healing, Flight, Insubstantial-ness, a bunch of immunities, and casting as a Cleric 7...and that's just at ECL 11. By the time your reach ECL 18, your new Saint LA will be bought off, and you'll be a casting like a Cleric 16. It's a fairly powerful build that ultimately uses the cleric casting for group healing and buffing.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-09-23 at 07:32 PM.

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10

Heres a (few) fun one

Spoiler: 5. Housecats of murder
    Show
    I'll present three variations of this one, all use tibbit from dragon compendium as the race. Basic concept is that you are a cute little cat who unleashes the pain on unwitting enemies.
    First a dextrous build: Rogue 6 / Warshaper 4 / Rogue +10. Maybe take Psychic Rogue, Factotum, Swordsage or Daring Outlaw Swashbuckler instead of Rogue or maybe even some Monk levels with useful ACF's. You have a few natural attacks to deliver sneak attacks with which get better/more from warshaper. Key feats will be Underfoot Combat and Confound the Big Folk from Races of the Wild. Fairly standard rogue stuff otherwise.

Now a Strength based build: Ferocity or Whirling Frenzy Wolf Totem Barbarian 2 / Soulborn 2 / Warshaper 4 / X 12. Here X can be anything really, maybe more barbarian, a PrC of your choice or some ToB classes all work. The core of this build is the fact that when you turn into a housecat the reduction to strength is a penalty. And Soulborn 3 (with the right alignment) means you are immune to strength penalties. So you end up as a tiny creature with your standard strength. Rage and warshaper boost this up and along with the beefed up natural attacks of warshaper you can deal decent damage. You're probably going to want underfoot combat and confound the big folk as above but with the reach from warshaper this can be unnecessary.

Now a silly one: Soulborn 2 / Stoneblessed (Goliath) 3 / Goliath Barbarian 1 / Warshaper 4 / X 10.
    This is similar to the previous one but with one major adjustment. Stoneblessed qualifies you for the goliath substitution barbarian level. This gives you mountain rage which makes you large (note it explicitly says your size increases to large not you increase one size category) but only increases your size by ~1ft. So you are an angry tiny but large housecat who can shred enemies in combat. Consider finishing with War Hulk or similar.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

A couple of builds that caught my eye while trolling through the forums these past few years.

Spoiler: 6. Many sads, such grief.
    Show
    Level 13
    Classes: Hexblade 4 / Paladin of Tyranny 3 / Blackguard 3 / Binder 3
    Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Sunder, Improved Binding

A mobile debuffing fortress.
    At 4th level take the Hexblade ACF which gives you Dark Companion. Your shadow can now move around and gives adjacent opponents -2 AC and saves.
    3rd level of Paladin of Tyranny gives you Aura of Despair at 10ft, another -2 to AC and saves.
    3rd level of Blackguard opens up another Aura of Despair. Same name, same debuff, different class.
    And lastly we have Binder 3. With Improved Binding you gain access to Focalor. He gives exactly what you'd expect. A -2 to AC and saves aura.

A sudden bonus appears!
    Did I mention you get Charisma to saves three times? Admittedly, one of those times is only against spells and SLAs.
    And if that wasn't enough, Mettle from Hexblade gives you a sort of "rogue space" for Will/Fort saves by negating any lesser effects when you pass a save.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread_Head View Post
    Add Unseelie Fey template for the Winters Chill ability to reduce enemy saves by your Cha modifier.

Spoiler: 7. An actual, real-life Jedi
    Show
    Level 10
    Fighter 2 / Factotum 3 / Shadowcaster 5
    Feats: Combat Expertise, Able Learner, Improved Bullrush, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm, Favoured Mystery (Quicker than the Eye)
    Apart from Able Learner and Improved Bullrush I don't believe these are all needed. Just working off a build stub I have here

What does it look like you're doing?
    You're a Jedi using your mind powers. Alternatively you're Fus Ro Dah'ing a person.

What are you doing?
    Casting Umbral Fist and bullrushing people into walls.

Notes
    Umbral Fist substitutes the STR part of bullrush for INT, Dungeon Crasher's bonus damage can be argued to do the same.
    Ask if Practised Spellcaster gives you +4 CL to your shadow casting.

Spoiler: 8. It's like MLP, but then... unicorns
    Show
    Level 14
    Classes: Healer 8 / Knight of the Raven 3 / Prestige Paladin 2 / Beloved of Valarian 1
    Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Vow of Chastity, Mounted Combat, Wild Cohort, Exalted Companion, Leadership

You have ALL the unicorns!
    Healer 8 - Unicorn Companion
    Prestige Paladin 2 - Special Mount
    Beloved of Valarian 1 - Call Unicorn
    Feat - Wild Cohort transformed with Exalted Companion
    Feat - Leadership
    Spell - Valiant Steed (Santified Spell, Level 6)
    Spell - Summon Nature's Ally IV (I think this is the one)

Now, admittedly, Summon Nature's Ally won't work if you use the original Healer spell list. But I'm not a big fan of it, so in our games it's changed.

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    There might be a domain that could nab you SNA IV via Contemplative if your DM isn't agreeable with respect to changing the Healer Spell List.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    ... Extra Spell...
    Last edited by Red Rubber Band; 2015-09-29 at 07:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You could also go on an adventure for the magical strap-on, if you really want to make an adventure out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Wizard View Post
    Come at me scrublord I'm ripped

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Heres a (few) fun one
    My favorte Tibbit Soulborn build is CE Tibbit Spirt Bear Totem Barbarian 1/Soulborn 2/Binder 10 to bind Zagan giving you Improved Grapple and letting you Grapple as if large, then tacking on Weight Focus from the Fabulous Cats article for an extra boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rubber Band View Post
    Spoiler: 8. It's like MLP, but then... unicorns
    Show
    Level 14
    Classes: Healer 8 / Knight of the Raven 3 / Prestige Paladin 2 / Beloved of Valarian 1
    Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Vow of Chastity, Mounted Combat, Wild Cohort, Exalted Companion, Leadership

You have ALL the unicorns!
    Healer 8 - Unicorn Companion
    Prestige Paladin 2 - Special Mount
    Beloved of Valarian 1 - Call Unicorn
    Feat - Wild Cohort transformed with Exalted Companion
    Feat - Leadership
    Spell - Valiant Steed (Santified Spell, Level 6)
    Spell - Summon Nature's Ally IV (I think this is the one)

Now, admittedly, Summon Nature's Ally won't work if you use the original Healer spell list. But I'm not a big fan of it, so in our games it's changed.
    There might be a domain that could nab you SNA IV via Contemplative if your DM isn't agreeable with respect to changing the Healer Spell List.

Now for a few of mine.

Spoiler: 9. Blink Doggy Dogg
    Show
    Somewhat cross-setting, as Shadowlord has Faerun specific fluff and also Dragonmarks. Uses flaws though you could get around one with a Feat Rogue dip. Honestly, I'd just as soon go in the opposite direction and get some extra feats from somewhere to sneak in a few more (Craven if you can get a Sneak Attack dice from a class level somewhere, a 4th Momentary Alteration, etc.)

Human Swordsage 2/Cobra Strike Monk 2/Totemist 2/Hit-and-Run Fighter 2/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/Warblade 1/Shadow Sun Ninja 6
    1. Swordsage 1 - Shadow Blade, Darkstalker, Weapon Finesse, Least Dragonmark (Mark of Passage: Dimension Leap)
    2. Monk 1 - Improved Unarmed Strike, Dodge
    3. Monk 2 - Mobility, Momentary Alteration (Blink Dog)
    4. Fighter 1 - Blind Fight
    5. Totemist 1
    6. Totemist 2 - Lesser Dragonmark (Mark of Passage: Dimension Door)
    7. Fighter 2 - Spring Attack
    8. Swordsage 2
    9. Telflammar Shadowlord 1 - Sun School
    10. Telflammar Shadowlord 2
    11. Telflammar Shadowlord 3
    12. Telflammar Shadowlord 4 - Assume Supernatural Ability (Blink Dog's Dimension Door)
    13. Warblade 1
    14. Shadow Sun Ninja 1
    15. Shadow Sun Ninja 2 - Momentary Alteration (Blink Dog)
    16. Shadow Sun Ninja 3
    17. Shadow Sun Ninja 4
    18. Shadow Sun Ninja 5 - Momentary Alteration (Blink Dog)
    19. Shadow Sun Ninja 6
    20. Shadow Sun Ninja 7

The big trick here is that Momentary Alteration doesn't can get around the type restriction of Alter Self so long as you've assumed the form with Alter Self before. So you use a scroll of Polymorph or Displacer Form or whatever to gain the Magical Beast type, then a scroll of Alter Self to turn into a Blink Dog, and you can then set that as a permanent "Alter Self" form via Momentary Alteration. You then snag that sweet, sweet 1/round free action teleport with Assume Supernatural Ability and with various options to cover the usual swift/standard/move teleports you can pull off 4 Shadow Pounces/round. Relevant items include Dragonmark Shards and Channeling Rods of Quicken.

Spoiler: 10. The Clownfish Dragon
    Show
    NE Venerable Dragonwrought Aquatic Kobold Feat Rogue 2/Binder 8/Stalwart Sorcerer 1/Knight of the Sacred Seal (Paimon) 5/Crusader 1/Aquatic Ferocity Barbarian 1/Battle Dancer 1/Hit-and-Run Sneak Attack Fighter 1
    1. Kobold Feat Rogue 1 - Dragonwrought, Combat Reflexes
    2. Feat Rogue 2 - Expeditious Dodge
    3. Binder 1 - Mortalbane
    4. Binder 2
    5. Binder 3
    6. Binder 4 - Swim By Attack, Improved Binding
    7. Stalwart Sorcerer 1 - Weapon Focus (Rapier)
    8. Knight of the Sacred Seal 2
    9. Crusader 1 - Sahuagin Flip
    10. Knight of the Sacred Seal 2
    11. Knight of the Sacred Seal 3
    12. Knight of the Sacred Seal 4 - Maximize SLA
    13. Battle Dancer 1 - Improved Unarmed Strike
    14. Aquatic Ferocity Barbarian 1
    15. Knight of the Sacred Seal 5 - Extra Granted Maneuver
    16. Binder 5
    17. Binder 6
    18. Hit-and-Run Sneak Attack Fighter 1 - Craven
    19. Binder 7
    20. Binder 8

The important trick here is the Races of the Dragon spell Ghostly Tail, taken as our Draconic Rite of Passage SLA, which is just the gift of bad writing that keeps on giving. First off, as a 1st level it has an hour/level duration. The CL for your Draconic Rite of Passage SLA is your character level, so it won't take long for it to be lasting pretty much the whole adventuring day. Second, it explicitly works even if the person provoking does so when you aren't wielding a weapon that threatens them, so if the provoking action is attacking your allies after being Defensive Rebuked, that's fair game for (Maximized Mortalbane) Ghostly Tail, even if you're no longer there to dole out the punishment. To that end, we're looking to lay the rebuke on as many enemies as possible. Enter Paimon, whose Dance of Death ability lets you move your speed and attack anyone you pass by as a standard action. But wait there's more! Sahuagin Flip lets us Withdraw as a move action, moving double our speed. Swim By Attack lets us put our standard action Dance of Death anywhere during that move. Rapid Retreat, from the Kobold Rogue sub-level, increases move speed by 5 while Withdrawing (which, as the Dance of Death is happening during our move action, includes both the Withdraw movement and Dance of Death movement). We've also got a +10 to swim speed from Aquatic Barbarian's variant Fast Movement, and +30 from Wings of the Sea via the Sorcerer level or a wand. All totaled, the little guy moves 255ft slicing up people for 85ft of it, ends his turn in some patch of paralytic plant (for Clownfish flavor and to actually do something with the Dragonwrought paralysis immunity, might not be worth it relative to the extra feat being a vanilla kobold would give, honestly), then, should they attack anyone else, smacks them for 4d6 (maximized)+[Character level]+[Precision stuff which applies even from beyond 30ft, as it's technically a melee attack] Force damage.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2015-09-27 at 11:19 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    How about taking Extra Spell? Seems like it'd be easier.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Kung-Fu Kitty
    Show

Tibbit Fighter2/SwordsageX

Feats:
    1st: Don't Mind Me
    Fighter1 : Combat Expertise
    Fighter2:Improved Trip
    3rd: Twinning Step
    6th:
    9th: Underfoot Combat
    12th: Confound The Big Folk

You stay in cat form, and can walk up to any enemy you like and trip them forcing them to use Dex to resist the trip, and negating all positive size modifiers in their advantage. Comboing this with Setting Sun's throw maneuvers that run off of trip checks is mean. You can easily judo toss a Great Wyrm or Big T a considerable distance...as a house cat.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

A while back, in the Iron Chef round for the Assassin class, there was a Cat entry where the cat used its poison immunity to rub undetectable contact poison into its fur, then used those Cat rules to mind-control people into petting it.

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have one. I'd actually really like to play it sometime, too.

Spoiler: 12: Assassin Cleric
    Show
    Level: 20
    Cleric 1/Rogue 4/Ur-Priest 5/Black Flame Zealot 10
    Feats: Sacred Outlaw (slightly modified), Iron Will, Spell Focus (Evil)
    Cleric Domains: War (Kukri) and Trickery
    Note: This build may require a slightly flexible DM, for two reasons:
    1. They allow Sacred Outlaw to count Up-Priest levels as Cleric levels for sneak attack.
    2. They use the Pathfinder rule that Clerics are proficient with their deity's favorite weapon.

This build gives you 8d6 sneak attack, on top of 9th-level casting, plus a death attack, evasion, limited spell resistance against divine spells, rebuke undead to power divine feats, and a couple other minor tricks. It's full of flavor, something like "The gods have forsaken me (hence ex-cleric) now I take their power so that they BURN!" The Black Flame Zealot Levels can begin at any point after Ur-Priest 2, so it's up to the individual on how to about it. This build works with any other 10-level divine casting PrC, so long as it has its own spell progression, instead of +1 caster level. I chose Ur-Priest for the 9ths. The best part? After you start taking BFZ levels, you aren't progressing much slower (or any, depending on where you begin) compared to a normal Cleric.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Polar Barbearian
    Show
    Race: Human (or anything barbarian-appropriate with a flaw)
    Class: Wild Rogue (Any BAB+1 class) 1 / Barbarian 1 / Warblade 4 / Frostrager 2 / Bear Warrior 1 / Warshaper 4 / +4 Bear / +3 Frost
    (Bear Warrior and Frostrager levels gained after Warshaper's complete can be in any order, really)

The character is playable the whole way through as a competent melee combatant, and winds up turning into an icy brown bear of death with warshaper's bonuses making for a right proper abomination.

Warblade is for things like Iron Heart Surge, and because the recovery mechanic works quite well with the Polar Barbearian's advantageous full attack in bear form (three natural attacks with the bonuses from Frostrager and a good unarmed strike).

1: Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike
    3: Frozen Berserker
    6: Leap Attack (or if you're like my wife and give every character a high Charisma, Imperious Command)
    9: Extra Rage
    12: Superior Unarmed Strike
    15: Snap Kick
    18: Mad Foam Rager

Spoiler: Inspiring Paladin
    Show
    Race: Human (or any appropriate with a flaw; aasimar works pretty well. I took the flaw Chivalrous Courtesy to get a -4 penalty on attack rolls against women and the Mounted Combat feat with a human)
    Class: Divine Bard 2 / Paladin 5 / Divine Bard +2 / Fist of Raziel 10 / Divine Bard +1?

A reasonably competent backup spellcaster, he's also a good front-line fighter thanks to the fact that divine bard spells can be cast in heavy armor (because they're divine spells) and is pretty good at inspiring his allies. What he loses in BAB gets made up with bard casting and inspire courage - and of course, he has the paladin's iconic mount. I recommend a griffon, because they're awesome.
    The healing hymn ACF to replace fascinate isn't a bad idea, and is probably better in keeping with the theme of the class. Be sure that his ranks in Perform are in inspiring speeches.

A badge of valor (Magic Item Compendium p 208, 1,500 gp) is invaluable for boosting the effects of the inspire courage, as is the spell inspirational boost (Spell Compendium).

1: Power Attack, Servant of the Heavens
    3: Devoted Performer
    6: Song of the Heart (from Eberron Campaign Setting)
    9: Holy Mount (be sure to advance divine bard spellcasting with the Fist of Raziel so that the character has the mount of a 19th-level paladin)
    12: Divine Might
    Last edited by Solaris; 2015-10-01 at 08:39 AM.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

18. - Top - End - #18

Spoiler: 15. Beast Wars
    Show

Race: Warforged
    Classes: (1) Ranger (Wild Shape Variant) 5 / Master of Many Forms 6 or (2) Ranger (Wild Shape Variant) 4 / Crusader 1 / Master of Many Forms 6
    Feats: (1) Mithral Body or (2) Adamantine Body, Alertness (prereq), Endurance (prereq)

Apply Beastskin (+2) property to your armour, which happens to be your mithral/adamantine "skin".
    Wildshape into a T-Rex.
    You are a mithral/adamantine T-Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    I see this suggestion all the time except that people forget that Rangers are not proficient with heavy armors (which Adamantine Body counts as). It would work but a class proficient with heavy armor is needed (maybe Crusader) taken at Level 4 to get better maneuvers available. Either that or make the 1st level warforged feat be Mithral Body which counts as light armor which Rangers are proficient in.

Spoiler: 16. (PF) Barely recognisable fighter
    Show

Race: Orc
    Classes: Fighter 20
    Feats: Any that improve your trip capabilities.

You're taking two archetypes. Dirty Fighter and Mutation Warrior.
    Additionally, you're also taking the Barbarian Variant Multiclass option which is in the Unchained book.
    Mutation Warrior's Mutagen Discovery's: The stat increase (+2 AC, +4 physical, -2 mental); Feral Mutagen; Infuse Mutagen; Greater Mutagen; Grand Mutagen.

What happens
    You down a mutagen at the start of the day. With Infuse mutagen the effects of it are persisted. (It's been a while since I've looked at this, so I may be incorrect)
    You are a bit more buff/tough/agile than before. You also have claws and fangs.
    Entering combat you rage. Even more buff and tough!
    Trip someone and use their newly neutered CMD to Dirty Trick them into uselessness. Or just Dirty Trick them. I mean, have you seen your stats?

You can chose not to go Feral Mutagen, and try Spontaneous instead. This takes out a bit of the savageness of the build and replaces it with some healing.

Consider taking the Mutagen buffs that increase Dex, as this gives a neg to Wis, and go a Dex CMB based build. Infuse Mutagen gives you a -2 Int while persisting a mutagen. There's a limit to how high you want to put Int as a Fighter.

Spoiler: 17. Retribution!
    Show

This is more of a "hey that would be cool" thought.

Sorcerer 6 / Incantatrix 10 / Sorcerer +1 - Pros: Spontaneous casting (Also, if PF you get a feat (hence the +1 Sorcerer) and can Quicken Spells)
    Wizard 5 / Incantatrix 10 - Pros: Can Quicken Spells (if 3.5)

Feats: ALL the metamagic feats! Main one is Retributive Spell. Ocular Spell also keeps with the theme. Invisible, Still and Silent are needed. Explosive Spell is amusing. Oh, and Arcane Thesis will be needed too.

The theme is a divinely protected being. This doesn't really work against people who can see the flow of magic or True Seeing or any of that jazz.

Effectively the character will cast Retributive Spell on themself. They get in to combat and do nothing except look harmless. They get hit. Retributive Spell goes off and the person who hit them gets smacked in the face with your (Arcane Thesis'd) spell of choice. The character has an action ready that when they are struck they cast another Retributive Spell. Which is, of course, a Still, Silent, Invisible, etc spell. So they make no movements. Nothing happens. They continue to walk through battle until struck again. Rinse and repeat.

Perhaps they aren't doing nothing. Perhaps they are taunting everyone, or having a "FEAR ME MORTALS" moment.

Rapid Metamagic, Quicken Spell, etc will probably help. But I haven't done enough reading into the feats/spellcasters to actually put this all together.

Spoiler: 18. Fear my imaginary spells!
    Show

Another one that I've had written down for a while. So will be a bit rusty on what it does.

Sorcerer 4 / Dread Witch 3 / Nightmare Spinner 3 / Shadowcraft Mage 3
    I believe I went Sorcerer for the CHA synergy...
    Note that this will delay your 9th level spells til level 20.

Feats: Spell Focus (Illusion), Dreadful Wrath/Frightful Presence, Fearsome and Fearless, Fell-Frighten Spell

Now let me see if I can put it together...
    Cast a spell, add the fear descriptor, make it an illusion of a fireball (for arguement's sake), fell-frighten shakens them, it's a figment so it shakens the enemy, the illusory fireball deals damage, dealing damage causes a fear effect, and they take extra damage from being feared/shaken/etc each time.

I've probably missed a bunch of things, or doubled up. But the premise is that there is a tonne of fear hitting them and therefore a tonne of damage. There's also the possibility of a lockdown and not just on them. You've got a fear aura yourself from Dreadful Wrath/Frightful Presence (or two, por que no los dos?) so every time you do something you're scaring people.
    Last edited by Red Rubber Band; 2015-09-30 at 06:37 PM.
    You could also go on an adventure for the magical strap-on, if you really want to make an adventure out of this.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Some undead to liven things up (or, y'know, the opposite of that).

Spoiler: 19. Blood Drunk/You're a Tank Bro
    Show
    Gravetouched Ghoul Human Passive Way Monk 2/Warblade 8/Crusader 3/Drunken Master 5
    1. Warblade 1 - Contagious Paralysis, Dodge (Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Steel Wind) (Hunter's Sense)
    2. Monk 1 - Contagious Paralysis, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, Combat Expertise
    3. Monk 2 - Great Fortitude, Improved Trip
    4. Warblade 2 (Wall of Blades)
    5. Crusader 1 (Mountain Hammer, Crusader's Strike, Leading the Attack, Tactical Strike, Foehammer) (Iron Guard's Glare)
    6. Drunken Master 1 - Combat Reflexes
    7. Drunken Master 2
    8. Drunken Master 3
    9. Drunken Master 4 - Power Attack
    10. Crusader 2 (Thicket of Blades)
    11. Crusader 3 (Defensive Rebuke)
    12. Drunken Master 5 - Deceptive Dodge
    13. Warblade 3 (Iron Heart Surge, White Raven Tactics, or Mithral Tornado)
    14. Warblade 4 (Trade Wolf Fang Strike for Pouncing Charge) (Leaping Dragon Stance)
    15. Warblade 5 - Ironheart Aura, Stormguard Warrior (Iron Heart Surge, White Raven Tactics, or Mithral Tornado)
    16. Warblade 6 (Trade something for Manticore Parry)
    17. Warblade 7 (some maneuver)
    18. Warblade 8 (Trade something for Scything Blade)

If multiclass penalties aren't an issue, take Crusader 4 instead of Drunken Master 5 and get WRT that way. If LA buyoff is allowed, take two more levels of Warblade to get your Adamantine Hurricane on.

Wield a length of troll intestines as an improvised weapon. Outside of combat, chew on it with your bite constantly to keep it paralyzed and forestall the regeneration (it also freaks out other players and NPCs). Might also not be a bad idea to have a friendly caster lay down a few long term debuffs to its Fort save (Bestow Curse and the Greater version, etc) so it stays paralyzed and drain its Dex away as a fail safe. The Contagious Paralysis feat now lets you convey your Paralysis attack through it with iteratives and reach and everything. From there it's basically just a standard ToB AoO tripper but with a few neat wrinkles. Against natural attacks, use Deceptive Dodge or Manticore Parry to redirect an attack into an already paralyzed enemy or (more reliably and hilariously) your still alive length of intestine to make them trigger Contagious Paralysis. Stormguard Warrior also gets a good deal scarier when the touch attacks can paralyze.

Spoiler: 20. Good Day, My Name is Necropolis...
    Show
    Necropolitan Silverbrow Human Savage Bard 1/Psychic Warrior or Psion 1/Warblade 1/Thrall of Juiblex 4/Bard +3/Dirgesinger 4/Virtuoso 6

Practiced Manifester gets ML up to 5 for Metamorphic Transfer, granting access (Su) abilities from your undead Alter Self forms, like Create Spawn from Wights and Shadows for unlimited minions (not very good ones, but that's what all the Bard is for, the Shadows at least stay potentially threatening into high levels if you've got enough of them because of how badly Touch AC scales), Tomb Mote's Quickness (you need to take an intermediate small form, but you've got Alter Self at will, so whatever) to throw out multiple Bardic Music effects or whatever. Pick up Desecrate from Arcane Disciple (Evil) and the Corpsecrafter line might not go amiss either. Nab a Least Rod of Fell Energy Spell for your Desecrates.

Spoiler: 21. Keeping a Cool Mind
    Show
    Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold Dracolich Soulbound Weapon Psychic Warrior 16
    1. Dragonwrought, Zen Archery, Weapon Focus (Longbow)
    3. Point Blank Shot
    5. Rapid Shot
    6. Expanded Knowledge (Psionic Minor Creation)
    8. Linked Power
    9. Ability Focus (Paralyzing Touch)
    11. Metapower (Linked Hustle)
    12. Woodland Archer
    14. ?
    15. ?

The last two feats depend on some things, like whether you can voluntarily lower mind-affecting immunity for Schism, and what the hell actually happens when a Dracolich's Schismed mind attempts to possess a corpse. That's all weird grey area.

For most of the build, it's much simpler. The Dracolich Paralyzing Touch is awesome, and applies to any physical attack. That includes firing a bow. Proto-Dracolichdom preventz you from casting spells, but regular Transparency rules are insufficient for it to keep you from using powers. So if one body gets smashed, you just hop into a new one from your phylactery, manifest your fancy Soulbound Weapon version of Call Weaponry, and carry on shooting your Paralyzing arrows. Other magic items beside your bow are a little trickier to retrieve, but at least being able to reliably get the bow back is nice.

With the undead immunity to poison, free time to craft due to not sleeping, and ammunition being more efficient to apply poison to than regular weapons, I decided to throw in Psionic Minor Creation for some Black Lotus Extract as well.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler: 22. No Thunderbolt or Lightning, But Very Very Frightening
    Show
    A Naenhoon Dread Necromancer 8/Dread Witch 5 can Persist a Moilean Fell Frightened Aura of Terror, giving them a 15 foot Fear Aura that overcomes immunity to fear with a +2 to the save DC that auto-panicks anyone who fails their save.

21. - Top - End - #21

Spoiler: 23. Just say no (to magic)
    Show
    Race: Illumian (Krau Sigil is the important one here)
    Cleric 1 / Wizard 3 / Master Specialist 6 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7 / Archmage 1 / Master Specialist +2
    Feats: 1. Spell Focus (Abj), 3. Divine Defiance, 6. Arcane Mastery, 9. Spell Focus (Any), Skill Focus (Spellcraft) and Greater Spell Focus (Abj) from Master Specialist and the rest are up to you.
    Take the Inquisition Domain for the bonus on dispel checks. Obviously specialise as an Abjurer, consider focused specialist as well ditching Evocation, Enchantment and Necromancy.

Basically you focus in abjurations, particularly in dispelling. You can counterspell as an immediate action with a hefty bonus on the check in addition to whatever dispelling you do on your turn. Any opposed caster is going to struggle to achieve anything with you in the vicinity. You also have stellar defences from Iot7V and plenty of offensive power from your spells. At higher levels with Mastery of Counterspells and Kaleidoscopic Doom you add some offensive power to your counterspells/dispels but even at low levels you should be using Arcane Turmoil and Slashing Dispel for the rider effects.

Spoiler: 24. Whale I'll be damned; it's a dragon
    Show
    Half Dragon Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale.

Thats the main trick here tbh, you get most of a large dragons abilities (sans casting) for 3 RHD and 3 LA. A Huge bonus to Str, more moderate ones to Con and mental stats, immunity to an element, flight, bite/claw/claw/tail attack routine and an admittedly sucky breath weapon. Works best for emulating dragons with a swim speed as you get one from anthro baleen whale. Take the Dragon Breath feat to use your breath weapon more than once per day and the Dreadful Wrath feat for a frightful presence.

A build like RHD 3 / LA 3 / Duskblade 3 / Suel Arcnamach 10 with the above suggested feats would be a decent emulation of an adult black dragon.

A couple of builds that caught my eye while trolling through the forums these past few years.

Spoiler: 6. Many sads, such grief.
    Show
    Level 13
    Classes: Hexblade 4 / Paladin of Tyranny 3 / Blackguard 3 / Binder 3
    Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Sunder, Improved Binding

A mobile debuffing fortress.
    At 4th level take the Hexblade ACF which gives you Dark Companion. Your shadow can now move around and gives adjacent opponents -2 AC and saves.
    3rd level of Paladin of Tyranny gives you Aura of Despair at 10ft, another -2 to AC and saves.
    3rd level of Blackguard opens up another Aura of Despair. Same name, same debuff, different class.
    And lastly we have Binder 3. With Improved Binding you gain access to Focalor. He gives exactly what you'd expect. A -2 to AC and saves aura.

A sudden bonus appears!
    Did I mention you get Charisma to saves three times? Admittedly, one of those times is only against spells and SLAs.
    And if that wasn't enough, Mettle from Hexblade gives you a sort of "rogue space" for Will/Fort saves by negating any lesser effects when you pass a save.
    Add Unseelie Fey template for the Winters Chill ability to reduce enemy saves by your Cha modifier.

22. - Top - End - #22

Will add that in, thanks. I didn't think about it at the time because I currently am unable to use the source it's from. (Dragon Mag, isn't it?)

Spoiler: 25. In-Combat Healer *gasp*
    Show

I believe there will be a few edits to this, as I'm sure there's a lot more people can squeeze out of healing.

Even though it's considered a trap, in-combat healing can lead to some epic moments. Just make sure to mix it up with buffs/debuffs/control spells.

Class: Bard 1 / Cleric X
    Feats: Augment Healing, Magic of the Land, Melodic Casting (not needed, but nice)
    Skills: Knowledge Nature, Perform.

Take the bard ACF Healing Hymn. This gives a bonus equal to your perform check to heal spells cast by any who hear the song.
    Augment Healing gives you an extra 2 hit points per spell level of healing, as does Magic of the Land.

Using Cure Critical Wounds at level 10 (1 Bard / 9 Cleric) will heal: 4d8 + 9 (caster level) + 8 (Augment Healing) + 8 (Magic of the Land) + 10 (Perform). This averages out to be 53.
    Using spells like Mass Cure Light Wounds works wonders. Once again at level 10 you have 1d8 + 9 + 10 +10 +10 for an average of 43-44 to each person.
    Even a normal Cure Light Wounds is 1d8 + 5 + 2 +2 +10, an average of 23-24.

This is a 3.5 base, but if you can add PF it gets better as the Healing Domain for Clerics in PF increase any healing done by your Cure spells by 50% once you hit level 6. This doesn't stack with Empower.

If your DM accepts a Healer fix (running it purely off CHA, giving them Healing Domain) then Healing Hands is awesome and Cleric can be swapped out.

As expected, and holy hell I can't believe I forgot about Mastery of Day and Night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I prefer Bard 1 (Healing Hymn ACF)/Healer5/Healing Hand of Mishikal5/Combat Medic5/Contemplative4

Feats:
    Flaw: Dodge
    Flaw: Combat Casting
    Human:Extra Music
    1st: Dynamic Priest
    3rd: Magic of the land
    6th:Maximize Spell
    9th: Mastery of Day and Night

Gives CHA to heals twice, +ranks in perform, is auto empowered/Maximized/silenced, and carries either a sanctuary rider effect, +5 Reflex saves, or 13 temp HP. It eats 2 feats (dodge + combat casting), but is overall worth it.
    Last edited by Red Rubber Band; 2015-09-30 at 06:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Spoiler: 26. Mind Leech Bard
    Show

NE Azurin
    str: 8 dex:10 con: 16 wis: 12 int:14 cha:16
    Get infected by a mind leech From Fiend Folio.
    1: Bard: Shape Soulmeld (strongheart Vest) & Martial Study (moment of the Perfect Mind)

2: Bard
    3: Bard: Skill focus Concentration (Retrain at 10th Level into Negotiator (or skill focus diplomacy which you then retrain into Negotiator at level 11. Thus giving any free feat from Marshal)

4: Bard
    5: Bard
    6: Bard: Inspire Spell power

7: Bard
    8: Bard
    9: Bard: Music of the outer spheres
    10: Sublime Chord
    11: Marshal
    12: Evangelist Doomspeak
    13: Evangelist
    14: Evangelist
    15: Evangelist: Extend Supernatural ability (doomspeak lasts 2 rounds!)
    16: Evangelist
    17: sublime chord
    18:sublime chord (melodic casting)
    19: sublime chord
    20: sublime chord

Free dominate or suggestion every turn. + spells + debuffing.
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2015-09-29 at 09:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Will add that in, thanks. I didn't think about it at the time because I currently am unable to use the source it's from. (Dragon Mag, isn't it?)

Spoiler: 25. In-Combat Healer *gasp*
    Show

I believe there will be a few edits to this, as I'm sure there's a lot more people can squeeze out of healing.

Even though it's considered a trap, in-combat healing can lead to some epic moments. Just make sure to mix it up with buffs/debuffs/control spells.

Class: Bard 1 / Cleric X
    Feats: Augment Healing, Magic of the Land, Melodic Casting (not needed, but nice)
    Skills: Knowledge Nature, Perform.

Take the bard ACF Healing Hymn. This gives a bonus equal to your perform check to heal spells cast by any who hear the song.
    Augment Healing gives you an extra 2 hit points per spell level of healing, as does Magic of the Land.

Using Cure Critical Wounds at level 10 (1 Bard / 9 Cleric) will heal: 4d8 + 9 (caster level) + 8 (Augment Healing) + 8 (Magic of the Land) + 10 (Perform). This averages out to be 53.
    Using spells like Mass Cure Light Wounds works wonders. Once again at level 10 you have 1d8 + 9 + 10 +10 +10 for an average of 43-44 to each person.
    Even a normal Cure Light Wounds is 1d8 + 5 + 2 +2 +10, an average of 23-24.

This is a 3.5 base, but if you can add PF it gets better as the Healing Domain for Clerics in PF increase any healing done by your Cure spells by 50% once you hit level 6. This doesn't stack with Empower.

If your DM accepts a Healer fix (running it purely off CHA, giving them Healing Domain) then Healing Hands is awesome and Cleric can be swapped out.
    Spoiler
    Show

I prefer Bard 1 (Healing Hymn ACF)/Healer5/Healing Hand of Mishikal5/Combat Medic5/Contemplative4

Feats:

Gives CHA to heals twice, +ranks in perform, is auto empowered/Maximized/silenced, and carries either a sanctuary rider effect, +5 Reflex saves, or 13 temp HP. It eats 2 feats (dodge + combat casting), but is overall worth it.

Last edited by Azoth; 2015-09-30 at 03:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Needs more cowbell.

Can the next one utilize Anthropomorphic Cow in some way?

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler: 15. Beast Wars
    Show

Race: Warforged
    Classes: Ranger (Wild Shape variant) 5 / Master of Many Forms 6
    Feats: Adamantine Body, Alertness (prereq), Endurance (prereq)

Apply Beastskin (+2) property to your armour, which happens to be your adamantine "skin".
    Wildshape into a T-Rex.
    You are an adamantine T-Rex.
    I see this suggestion all the time except that people forget that Rangers are not proficient with heavy armors (which Adamantine Body counts as). It would work but a class proficient with heavy armor is needed (maybe Crusader) taken at Level 4 to get better maneuvers available. Either that or make the 1st level warforged feat be Mithral Body which counts as light armor which Rangers are proficient in.

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Spoiler: 26. Mind Leech Bard
    Show

NE Azurin
    str: 8 dex:10 con: 16 wis: 12 int:14 cha:16
    Get infected by a mind leech From Fiend Folio.
    1: Bard: Shape Soulmeld (strongheart Vest) & Martial Study (moment of the Perfect Mind)

2: Bard
    3: Bard: Skill focus Concentration (Retrain at 10th Level into Negotiator (or skill focus diplomacy which you then retrain into Negotiator at level 11. Thus giving any free feat from Marshal)

4: Bard
    5: Bard
    6: Bard: Inspire Spell power

7: Bard
    8: Bard
    9: Bard: Music of the outer spheres
    10: Sublime Chord
    11: Marshal
    12: Evangelist Doomspeak
    13: Evangelist
    14: Evangelist
    15: Evangelist: Extend Supernatural ability (doomspeak lasts 2 rounds!)
    16: Evangelist
    17: sublime chord
    18:sublime chord (melodic casting)
    19: sublime chord
    20: sublime chord

Free dominate or suggestion every turn. + spells + debuffing.
    Martial Study requires you to be able to take the maneuver based on your initiator level. At Level 1, a non-initiator has an initiator level of 0.5. Switch this feat out with the suggestion at Level 3 and you should be fine.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Needs more cowbell.

Can the next one utilize Anthropomorphic Cow in some way?
    I believe the Divine Minion template stated cow stats to be identical to bison stats, so anthropomorphic cow is definitely possible. You'd lose four levels (two if LA buyoff is allowed) but you wouldn't gain much from such a choice (unless you buy a herd of cows and use them to trample enemies).
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Feats:

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    Edited in both of your suggestions

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: 27: Easy-Bake Wizard (full build)
    Show

Race: Venerable Grey Elf
    Templates: Necropolitan (after level 3)
    Class: Wizard 20
    ACFs: Elf Wizard Racial ACF Level 1 (Races of the Wild); Eidetic Spellcaster ACF (Dragon Magazine #357)
    Stats (32 PB before adj.): 14/8/9/18/15/9
    Stats (Lvl 1): 6/4/1/23/18/12
    Stats (Lvl 20): 6/4/-/28/18/12
    Flaws: Feeble; Pathetic: Constitution
    Feats: Collegiate Wizard (ECL 1); Greyhawk Method (Flaw); Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Flaw); Nymph's Kiss (ECL 3); Extend Spell (Wizard 5); Eschew Materials (ECL 6); Vatic Gaze (ECL 9); Quicken Spell (Wizard 10); Extraordinary Concentration (ECL 12); Still Spell (ECL 15); Silent Spell (Wizard 15); Arcane Manipulation (ECL 18); Craft Wondrous Item (Wizard 20)

Eidetic Wizard means you have your "spellbook" memorized for free, and you can buy new spells by smoking incens; this gets rid of the top two liabilities a wizard faces: their physical spellbook, and their familiar. Collegiate Wizard changes your free Wizard spells to "6+Int mod" 1st lvl spells at 1st lvl, and 4 additional spells of whatever level you can cast at every other Wizard level. Elf Wizard Racial ACF means you get one extra spell in your "spellbook" at every wizard level, and can cast one additional spell of your highest level every day; this is an addition, so it stacks. Technically speaking, the RAW of Greyhawk Method is that you gain 4 additional spells from every Wizard level, not that it replaces the normal outright, so it stacks. Final result from all of this: at level 1, you have 17 first level spells in your mental "spellbook", and you add another 9 of any level you can cast at every subsequent Wizard level.

Faerie Mysteries Initiate lets you use your Int mod in place of your Con mod for HP, and Nymph's Kiss (which ties in thematically) grants an extra skill point at every level after you take it (inclusive). Necropolitan makes you undead; this gives you a stack of immunities (many of which are Fort save effects), and sets your Con to - (which, for anything that still uses your Con mod, counts as +0). Eschew Materials takes away the third-most common liability a wizard faces (his spell component pouch), Vatic Gaze is at-will Detect Magic, Extraordinary Concentration lets you cast spells while concentrating if you make a tough Concentration check, and Arcane Manipulation lets you change a high-level spell into multiple low-level spells. The rest are metamagic and item creation feats, so their use should be fairly obvious.

How effective this wizard is depends on the spells in your "spellbook" and what you prepare. A way to make this less of an issue is to pick up some rings: early on, a Ring of Sustenance turns your "re-prep spells" time frame to 2 hours; later on, Ring(s) of Wizardry give you lots of extra spells you can prepare each day.

EDIT: Also, OP: if you're still checking this thread, maybe it would be best to spoiler the builds into the first post, or maybe link to the posts they're in, if full copy-pasts would be too wordy?
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-10-12 at 05:06 PM.

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: 28: Bloody Bladestorm
    Show

Class Levels: Warblade 6/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Master Thrower 5/Warblade +5
    Flaws: Frail; Vulnerable
    Feats: Point-Blank Shot (ECL 1); Rapid Shot (Flaw); EWP: Crescent Knife (Flaw); Weapon Focus: Crescent Knife (ECL 3); Combat Reflexes (Warblade 5); Weapon Specialization: Crescent Knife (ECL 6); Precise Shot (ECL 9); Quick Draw (Master Thrower 1); Melee Weapon Mastery: Slashing (ECL 12); Slashing Flurry (ECL 15); Far Shot (ECL 18); Improved Initiative (Warblade 10)
    Relevant Class Features: Deadeye Shot; Palm Throw; Weak Spot
    Necessary Maneuvers: Raging Mongoose; Blood In the Water
    Necessary Items: (4) +1 Distance Wounding Kaorti Resin Crescent Knife; Boots of Speed; Gloves of Dexterity +6; Otyugh Hole+Dark Chaos Shuffle for TWF, ITWF, and GTWF

This build is only decent until level 10, when the blades you throw start auto-returning to you. Up until that point, you mostly use non-magic Crescent Knives, only busting out your magic ones when you need to. After that, you can go straight to two magic ones and never look back. Incidentally, the very next level, you can pick up Palm Throw; now you need 4 of them to operate at full capabilities, but what capabilities they are: with 4 +1 Kaorti Resin Crescent Knives at 11th level, after DCSing TWF and ITWF into your feats section, you're making 24 attacks every round (6 base attacks doubled twice over; because this is real numbers rather than abstract stuff like damage, two doubles make a quadruple). Sure, each attack doesn't do much damage, so DR can screw you over, but you're damage should be good enough that it doesn't totally negate your ability to contribute.

Later on (20th level), you've reached your pinnacle: every round, you're getting 36 attacks; each attack has a range increment of 40 ft, targets Touch AC unless the target is smaller than Medium, crits on a 19-20, deals x5 damage on a crit, and deals 1 Con damage on a hit/crit. If you're in your Blood In The Water stance, you've activated your Boots of Speed, and you use your Raging Mongoose maneuver, you get 48 attacks instead, and every crit you get adds +1 to your attack and damage.

GET REKT.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-10-14 at 02:44 PM.

My Homebrew