New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Planeside 2

1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside 2

[Traveling]

Keiko nods, stuffing in some more of the quite tasty if not very likely feast

Yes, it is really pretty and something worth seeing.

Pi stretches

Well, if your Highness has had her fill of food and sightseeing, we really should be getting on with our trip!

Ce starts to gather up the few small items he had taken from his pack. He also stows away some choice morsels from the food Keiko provided: once a fox, always a fox.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    [Lornesse - Castle Lobby]

((Pacing is good. I have a lot on my plate these days, so detailed posts from me will not be frequent.))

"I know, love." Ezra joins her in chuckling. He grins as he hears the exchange between the two guards. "She's very astute." He adds, nodding.

Then it's to

[Lornesse - Throne Room]

Ezra briefly wonders just how old this castle is, and why it hasn't been renovated. Surely, a palace fit for a king should be well maintained? The rusted armor of some of the other guards also comes to mind, and he makes a mental note of these things.
    ((Glad to hear from you!))

[Lornesse - Castle Throne Room]

Sitting atop a short flight of stairs is a large throne, embossed with gold and encrusted with gems. The gems sparkle just a little bit in the light from the torches lining the walls. After a while, it's apparent that a few gems are stained or outright missing.

Behind the throne, there is a thick black curtain that covers the entire wall. Ezra's blood vision might pick up on a human, who's a distance behind said curtain.

Mirlanda moves ahead to the curtain and pushes a small part of it aside, revealing a previously hidden tunnel. The tunnel winds around the corner and blocks line of sight, but it's easy to tell it leads to the human Ezra detected just now.

'The King instructed me to stay out of his inner chamber. But if you do anything funny with him...' she glares daggers at Ezra for a moment, then relaxes.

(Group) Nancy_KC: dont worry too much about her, shes just silly

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Ezra notes the human and the stained gems and carries on. When Miranda warns him, he flashes a dazzling smile back at her. "Have a little faith, darling. Your king is in safe hands."

(Group)E_Reyes: Safer hands, even. :p

He blows her a kiss and goes to meet the king, bowing before him in respect.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

(Group) Nancy_KC: =P

Mirlanda, being the uptight woman she is, is not impressed by Ezra's actions. She would've rolled her eyes if she realized he'd mentally mispronounced her name, even if Ezra is only one letter off

Ezra and KC walk through the tunnel, and into

[Lornesse - Castle Magic Room]

This room is a mess. Arcane symbols cover the stone floor and walls of this room, stretching all the way to the ceiling. Several candles are lit at various points in the room - there're even two candles stuck directly to the ceiling.

A large stone table sits in the middle, piled high with paperwork. Shelves and drawers equally full of documents are off to the sides of the room. Fortunately, these flammable things are a good distance away from the candles.

Ezra should be able to see that the human he'd detected earlier on is behind that table. Sure enough, the piles on said table move slightly to reveal a rather tired man in his late 30s, wearing a maroon silk robe underneath an ermine cloak. It's clear he's doing his best to look presentable. Upon seeing Ezra bow, he perks up.

'Thank goodness someone's here to help! Er...' The king looks around himself. 'Apologies for this awful mess. I've been rather busy, so many things to handle, everything's going south..' he says sheepishly as he rubs his forehead in pain, then waves a hand in the air.

'Let's cut to the chase. I've been recieving visions and prophecies, all saying Lornesse will turn into rubble if I fail to gather four artifacts. I know quite a bit about divination, and there's a fairly good chance I really am getting these messages from legit spirits. Here's where the problem comes in.'

The king pauses to take a breath.

'It's only a fairly good chance, which means there's an even bigger chance it's completely bogus. If I get the whole of Lornesse - which is already starting to fall apart, I can't even keep my own castle straight - chasing after some 'artifacts' due to a dream that isn't even true... well, Lornesse will really break down then.' The king will also become a laughing stock, but he considers that to be of relatively little importance. 'So-'

A candle detaches from the ceiling, bounces off the king's head, and lands on a parchment on the table. As expected, the parchment catches fire. He slams his palm on the small flame, snuffing it out and leaving a burned hole in the middle of the parchment.

'Not again! Why must these protective spells involve fire?' he sighs as his hair catches fire. He dealt with it by spitting into his hand and slapping his own head hard.

The king looks up, only to realise Ezra and KC are still there. 'Sorry!' he coughs.
    'As I was saying, I'm glad to have you brave people help find the four artifacts. Let me see if I have the list... I know I put it around here somewhere...'

The king shuffles the paperwork on his table a bit, then picks up the piece of parchment the candle fell on. 'Oh, er, here it is. Please come and get it,' he says in a really embarrassed manner as he holds out the parchment, free for Ezra to take.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-10-17 at 07:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Memento makes a noise, and the hole is ripped wider for Dena to fit through. Easy enough! Even if the hole in the wall is painfully obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Realm of Cats

"Well, the most catlike thing would be to just jump over all the obstacles, but since we don't really know where we're going it seems to be kind of a hard thing to do. Any ideas? Because if you have any ideas for skipping it, I'm open to it." he says.
    Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Gwen frowns as she glares at the ball, the smiles as she realizes the solution to the issue. Her body shifts and cracks as she drops to a form that is quite catlike, not quite a full quadruped, but definitely digitigrade, though she retains her thumbs to catch the ball if she gets close enough, then pounces yet again, hoping for victory.
    Realm of Cats

"Sweet." Dena remarks as she steps through the hole, shortly followed by Violet. "Now let's see if we can cut our way to the finish line. I don't suppose you got any idea where it could be?" She looks around for any clues, perhaps any tracks after that invisible cat? Momento should be able to detect it at least.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Realm of Cats

"Well, the most catlike thing would be to just jump over all the obstacles, but since we don't really know where we're going it seems to be kind of a hard thing to do. Any ideas? Because if you have any ideas for skipping it, I'm open to it." he says.
    "I was more referring to the flare," Cinnamon said, "This may be something instead left behind by that woman with dark skin. That said... this maze isn't terribly catlike, either. Why give the people a solid goal, when you can just toy with them until you get bored?"

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Gwen frowns as she glares at the ball, the smiles as she realizes the solution to the issue. Her body shifts and cracks as she drops to a form that is quite catlike, not quite a full quadruped, but definitely digitigrade, though she retains her thumbs to catch the ball if she gets close enough, then pounces yet again, hoping for victory.
    It's practically pushed out of her way at the last moment, rolling hard into a corner of the maze, where it hits the wall!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Realm of Cats

"Sweet." Dena remarks as she steps through the hole, shortly followed by Violet. "Now let's see if we can cut our way to the finish line. I don't suppose you got any idea where it could be?" She looks around for any clues, perhaps any tracks after that invisible cat? Momento should be able to detect it at least.
    Memento shakes it's head. It points at violet, and then points up in the air, and spins around.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Ezra listens attentively. "I understand fully." He nods knowingly as he takes the parchment and scans the list. "Your majesty, may I ask when these problems began?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

'The financial issues began about 5 months ago. Things just escalated from there.' The king shakes his head. 'I started getting the visions about 3 days ago. The latest one's just last night - Argh!'

All of a sudden, the king's eyes widen, just before he collapses to the ground on his knees and grabs his hair in pain. 'Yes, I know, Lornesse is in big trouble! Stop reminding me already!' he whimpers as he lowers his head to the floor, panting heavily.

After a brief moment, he relaxes slightly and gets up with the help of his table. 'Make that 'just now'. I'm afraid I can't help you with the quest beyond the list I gave you. However, I trust that you'll help me quickly, alright?'

Spoiler: List of Artifacts
    Show

• Blessing of the Forest
    • Tentacles of the Monster
    • Circlet of Magic
    • Blessing of Miad'bir

[Luckily, the candle burned a hole at an empty spot on the parchment]

((After your post, may I fast-forward travelling from the castle to the forest? There's nothing much to do in between anyway. Thanks!))

Seems that it's about time to leave the room to get the artifacts.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-10-19 at 07:20 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: List of Artifacts
    Show

• Blessing of the Forest
    • Tentacles of the Monster
    • Circlet of Magic
    • Blessing of Miad'bir

"Right away, sir." Ezra replies with a smile and a bow. Then they get teleported (or something) to the forest.

[Lornesse Forest]

Ezra Sharpe, formerly known as Ezra Reyes, walks alongside Kelcey and Peyton, his girlfriend and family penguin, respectively, in a forest, on their way to get the Blessings.

"Something about this whole thing sounds cheesy, oh my, yes! Blessings of the forest? Who calls it that?" He says with a chuckle. "Why not just 'Forest's Blessings'?"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Traveling]

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    Keiko nods, stuffing in some more of the quite tasty if not very likely feast

Yes, it is really pretty and something worth seeing.

Pi stretches

Well, if your Highness has had her fill of food and sightseeing, we really should be getting on with our trip!

Ce starts to gather up the few small items he had taken from his pack. He also stows away some choice morsels from the food Keiko provided: once a fox, always a fox.
    Cleo might be caught doing the same, stowing away unlikely fruit tarts. One never knows when they'll be out of food.

"We want to get there with light still out, don't we? Yeah, let's get going."

Once they're on the way again, she starts humming a lively marching tune, which has the curious effect of getting the group to move 1/6 faster.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Hello?" he calls out into the darkness. "Is someone there?"

Now there's an unsettling feeling.

The shivery, crawly sensation of fingers inching up the spine. Not the physical sort, of course. Maybe that would be better. That would mean there's at least something physical to react to rather than the nebulous, gnawing possibility of something. But then there would be someone poking him in the back with their fingers.

Which is clearly an invasion of personal space.

But a somewhat obnoxious prank would beat shadowed rows of bushes that may or may not be concealing an axe murderer.

You can laugh at pranks.

You can laugh at axe murderers, too.

Which happens to be a good way to get axe murdered.

"Hello?" he calls out again.

The only answer is the ghostly flash of fireflies and the distant squawk of a night heron.

He's sure he saw something, though.

Something ducking off into the hedge row.

He glances back toward the warmth and light of his home. He could just pretend he hadn't seen anything. He could turn around right now and get back to the pressing task of wasting time on the Internet. Surely no one would fault him for it. There's nothing cowardly about not wanting to be standing around outside in the dark.

But he's not going to follow his better judgement.

For one very, very good reason.

That figure he's sure he spied ducking off into the bushes?

The shadowy phantom apparently absconded with one of his favorite rocks. Because it sure isn't sitting on the little table on the back patio any longer. He had heard something fumbling around in the dark back there and had come to investigate. And sure enough, no rock.

And that sort of nonsense just isn't going to stand.

His grip tightens ever so slightly on the aluminum Hello Kitty baseball bat. He assures himself that in the event that the hoodlum jumps him, the last thing that punk will see is the cold, merciless face of Hello Kitty.

He edges closer to the hedge, garishly pink weapon raised-

-only for the weapon to fall to his side listlessly.

"What?"

See, there's a little arbor in the hedge. The wooden, arched sort. The hedge gets trimmed around it so the arbor serves as a little doorway through the leafy barrier. Only problem? The sidewalk isn't on the other side of the threshold. Oh no, certainly not. No, on the other side of the threshold is a forest cast in twilight illumination, the colors surreal and flowing. Ethereal wisps drift lazily the air, pulsing in tune with a stillness that's not quite music and not quite silence. Where the street should be, instead flows a river frothing up great white bubbles that dance up toward the canopy from water of such a deep turquoise that one might mistake it for paint. Little eddies and whirls of pastel and neon swirl along with the current, winding their ways around moss-covered boulders and splashing under fallen logs of truly incomprehensible size. Tittering laughter and the fluting of unseen pipes falls upon the glimmering air like the peal of crystal bells.

And in the midst of it all?

A large, ugly, three eyed, horned, hunched, toadish creature garbed in filthy rags is fondling a radiantly beautiful fire agate.

"Hey! That's mine!" he yells, leveling his bat at the goblin, all the previous anger now replaced with burning indignation.

Said goblin shrieks in surprise and goes bounding deeper into the Hedge with the bat-wielding young man close behind.

It probably would have been wiser to head back inside, really. It all would have been better if he had given up his treasure for lost and looked at memes and cat videos instead of chasing goblins.

Because, unknown to him, the threshold closes behind him.

[The Hedge]

He shoves a dangling bramble out of the way with his bat, wincing when one of its thorns scratches his arm. This should all be a dream. He's so sure of it. But the aches and pains feel all too real.

Whatever that impish thing had been, it's long gone now. It knew all the passages and secret ways he's ignorant of. And now he's well and truly lost in what can only be a dream.

It has to be a dream.

Because faeries aren't real...

...right?

With a huff he sits down on a lot that he's pretty sure is analogous to a bench several blocks from his home. Despite the fact that he's clearly in some kind of enchanted forest, everything seems to be laid out similarly to his neighborhood. But... try as he might he can't seem to find the way out again... "Maybe I'm hallucinating..." he mutters to no one in particular. "Maybe the super market has decided to start putting acid in their produce without telling anyone..."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hedge

"Well gosh, that'd be terrible. Everyone knows produce is best fresh." says a voice at the lad's foot. Sticking out of a hole is the upper half of a large rabbit-like person, rather short in general, and pretty much entirely black save for the colorful teal mane on the back of his head (and a white spot that isn't visible). His fur hangs a tiny bit loosely, almost like clothes, and he munches on a carrot held in one of his paws while looking up with feline eyes.

"What's up?"

Realm of Cats

"The goal is probably a trick, to be honest. We probably have to cheat to get anywhere. I just don't know how to do that!" says Lee, frustrated.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2015-10-19 at 10:48 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

13. - Top - End - #103

[The Hedge]

He looks down at the rabbit-like creature.

Then at the carrot.

Then at the creature.

"The fact that you didn't lead with 'what's up doc?' is the surest evidence I've run into so far that this isn't all in my head," he says.

Because really.

If this were some sort of weird hallucination, how could his mind have passed up a perfectly great Bugs Bunny reference?

"Unless I'm mistaken, I followed a goblin through a magical door because it stole my favorite rock," he says, wrinkling his nose a bit as he watches a pair of pixies go zipping past, one of them grasping a red huckle berry and the other coveting it intensely. "And now it would appear I'm trapped in a faerie wood talking to a, umm..."

He peers down at Will.

"What are you, again?"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hedge

"Oh, please. The chances of you being a doctor are about as high as my dad ever being mistaken for a jock." he says with a roll of his eyes.
    Better be careful with statements like that. You realize your dad can bench press over a ton, right Will? Silly ponies.

"I'm Will, and I'm a puca! Sheesh, we're not that obscure." he says, popping out of his hole to reveal the white spot on his left haunch and his fluffy canine tail.
    Sorry, Will, but you kind of are.

15. - Top - End - #105

[The Hedge]

"Uh huh..." he replies.

It isn't a skeptical reply. There's no particularly good reason not to believe the strange rabbit person.

No, that was more of a 'I'm still not sure whether or not I should believe this is happening' sort of reply.

Which, honestly, is understandable.

When a person bumbles into an enchanted forest from a world which, for all they knew, was totally without magic, suddenly finding yourself surrounded by faeries is somewhat jarring.

At least he isn't having a nervous breakdown.

Yet.

There's probably still time for that in the future.

"You don't know how to get back to my house from here, do you?" he asks hopefully. "I walked through my arbor like I do all the time and there was-"

He gestures at a nearby rock which is also apparently a crab ripping into a rather surreal looking piece of fruit.

"-this stuff instead of Wallnut street. I really do need to get home. Otherwise no one will feed my cats."

Think of mittens!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hedge

Will shakes his head, big floppy ears drooping.
    "No idea, though I'd recommend turning around at least. I can try to help you find a door, if you'd like. I just burrow everywhere. It's way more reliable." he says with a sad nod.

17. - Top - End - #107

[The Hedge]

He sighs, leaning his bat against his sittin' log as he rubs his temples.

"This isn't all some kind of dream, is it? This is actually real," he mutters as his eyes stray toward one of the shallow gouges in his arms.

Those thorns...

The wounds feel a lot deeper than they look.

Almost as if they were cutting more than just flesh...

He touches a finger to the scratch, only to wince in pain.

Yep.

Much deeper than it looks.

"Do the usual fantasy rules apply?" he asks absently. "If I tell someone my name I'm in trouble?"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hedge

Will frowns at the sight of the wound.
    "Yowch. Don't touch anything sharp in here. Those cuts don't work like they're supposed to. Anyway, yeah, don't do that. I never did myself, but that's kind of a special case. Went through a lot of stuff before I found my way home. I just lucked out that I wasn't the weirdest thing to happen to the family by the time I got back!" he says with a chuckle and a shrug.

Will isn't Will. Not really. But a home is a home, and even if he isn't quite who he seems, Will's family deserve to have a Will around. Besides, the one they got is way better.

19. - Top - End - #109

[The Hedge]

"I gathered that..." he grumbles, doing his best to ignore the creeping feeling that he's lost something of dreadful importance upon bumbling into the enchanted wood. With a sight he rises to his feet, gathering up the garishly pink baseball bat and peering down the meandering path that skirts the river that should be a road.

He's sure he never crossed it...

Fording a river would be something you remember.

Especially one as deep and treacherous as the foaming waters appear to be.

But if he's right and the log he was sitting on really is that memorial bench he's thinking of, then he's at least six blocks away from home.

Of course normal spatial relations wouldn't work right in an enchanted wood.

"Well... I guess I could try to back-track. Every time I have I've ended up further away than where I started. Unless of course that big rock is moving on its own when I'm not watching," he says, pointing at a rather craggy looking spire of granite sticking out of the river in the distance.

Said spire might be a troll.

You never know with trolls.

It's not that they're stealthy or tricky.

They're just really lazy.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hedge

Will shrugs.
    "Well, yeah, you try that and I'll tell you if I spot any hidden exits. I would just make you a burrow like I use, but you don't have what it takes to use one. I can always use one to find your cats if you pop up in the wrong place." he says nonchalantly.

21. - Top - End - #111

[The Hedge]

He scowls at the rocky spire.

The spire is a rock.

His scowl deepens.

The spire continues to be an inanimate object.

He leans forward, really giving it the stink-eye.

The spire continues its insentient ignoring of the young man's ire.

With a huff he turns and starts off down the path, shoving some briers out of the way with his bat. As soon as he back is turned, the massive granite troll blows a raspberry at him before vanishing under the churning foam of the river. What a cheeky giant that one is. The low rumble of its migration to a new position is quite well covered up by the roar of the river.

Now doing his best to stop thinking about the rock that he was trying to use as a navigational aid, the young man strikes a path toward what he thinks is the direction of his home.

And runs face-first into a low-hanging spider web strung between two trees.

The result is more or less what one might expect.

Lots of flailing and sputtering.

And of course, "Oi! Watch where you're goin' you big lunk!" hollers an indignant little spider grig.

The young man does his best to ignore the grumbling of tiny arthropod people. "What do you mean, pop up in the wrong place?" he asks. "This place looks like a weird reflection of the area around my home. I couldn't get that far away, could I?"

He's already dreading the answer.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hedge

"Kid, my dad and little brother wound up in a place where it was only mildly weird that my dad got zombified and brought back as a spooky-eyed cartoon pony Like this, but brown and with spooky-eyes and a tattoo on his butt." he says, as he is abruptly a teal-maned, black pony. "This place has a lot of doors. Which is why I'll stick my head through any I find so I don't send you to somewhere where thumbs are a myth."

23. - Top - End - #113

[The Hedge]

The young man is pretty sure there was no transition from weird rabbit person to improbably colored tiny horse.

Or improbably proportioned tiny horse, either.

He opens his mouth to ask a question, only to close it again upon thinking better of it.

Nope.

Not even going to try going there.

Not going to comment on what said tiny horse looks like, either.

Down that path there is only madness.

This train of thought is interrupted by a rather unpleasant stabbing sensation just above his shoulder blade. "Gah!"

Sharp enough to make him drop his Hello Kitty bat, as a matter of fact! He reflexively swats at the offending whatever it is that just stung him, his hand coming away with... something. Wow. Yeah. That is certainly something. It looks like a tiny dragon. If someone took a six legged dragon and replaced its scales with iridescent black beetle exoskeleton and stuck a large stinger on the end of its tail. Instead of the horns it sports a pair of antenna. Rather than leathery wings, a pair of gossamer membranes buzz angrily at the air. Each of its reptilian eyes are flanked by three smaller insect-like simple eyes. And for whatever reason the tiny creature's eyes, teeth, claws, and stinger are all glowing violently neon magenta.

The now half-crushed dragonfly reacts to its sudden swatting by biting the young man on the finger.

And stinging him again.

"SONOFABITCH!"

Shortly there after the thing is hurled to the ground and stomped on until it's reduced to a chunky smear of broken limbs and florescent pink goop.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2015-10-20 at 01:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hedge

Will mentioned the butt tattoos, kid. There's no "like" about what you're thinking of.

Will is abruptly his bunny-like self again.
    "Hey, don't yell so much. You might attract unwanted attention. Here, let me see those." he says, hovering a bit in the air as he examines the boy's wounds, including the old cuts and the new stings. Gotta make sure he isn't starting to glow himself. He's sensing something different about him already...

25. - Top - End - #115

[Hedge]

Of course the most recent wounds are glowing.

Well, the bite wounds aren't glowing anyway. It just looks like a bunch of puncture marks made by lots of tiny little serrated teeth. Plenty of bleeding.

The stings, however...

Those are looking a bit swollen already, the blood vessels already giving off a magenta light that's spreading pretty quickly. Some kind of supernatural poison, maybe?

Or perhaps something even worse?

Like the fact that the smooshed dragon-wasp has a parasitoid wasp ovipositer...

Any sort of nasty monster with an ovipositer is never good news for anyone.

"Yeah, no yelling..." the young man mutters, swaying a bit as he leans against a nearby tree. Suddenly he isn't feeling so good...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hedge

Will frowns and tries to support the kid over to the tree. He's stronger than he looks. He knows about as much about insect biology as he looks though. That is to say, barely anything.
    "I don't know if you should be stopping for too long, but stay there for a little bit. No sense running when there might've been some poison in there. Oh, I knew I should've brought my faerie antivenom kit..."
    No, you didn't, Will. You probably don't even have one of those.

27. - Top - End - #117

[The Hedge]

Poisoned.

He's been here maybe an hour and he's been poisoned.

By a tiny dragon.

That was apparently also a hornet.

His vision is starting to blur as a vaguely pink hue begins to saturate his view. He coughs into his hands, his body shaking with the effort, only to find his palms spattered with glowing magenta when he holds them at arms length. It feels like he's getting pulled apart from the inside out... Guh... what an awful way to die. Death by tiny stinging faerie. The nauseating feeling continues to build like steam in a pressure cooker, causing him to keel over sideways and curl into the fetal position to try to stave off the gut-wrenching sensation. Thankfully he really doesn't have the presence of mind to notice skin sloughing away and flesh fusing into plates of black chitin. The whole process takes little more than five minutes before the poor guy is gone and there's an iridescent black chrysalis pulsing with neon magenta glued to the base of a tree.

Weird.

Well.

Not super weird.

Weirder things happen all the time in the Hedge.

This probably isn't any worse than some of the other things people get turned into.

For the next hour or so the chrysalis will sit there, humming away as it saps dreams and gossamer from its surroundings, steadily growing until it's roughly three times its original size. Then comes the wet, sticky sound of rending chitin as the back of the thing splits open, spilling neon goop onto the forest floor as a veritable swarm of dragonflies come crawling out their armored womb. They all have a few things in common. All winged, yes. But their wings range in appearance from damselfly to wasp to butterfly to the armored carapace of beetles. Some are all black chitin with fearsome looking orange stripes and stingers. Others are covered with iridescent, brightly colored fuzz. Some are smooth and aerodynamic. Others sport horns and spikes. They swarm of dragonflies seems to represent all corners of the insect kingdom. Quite frankly, their diversity is stunning.

...though they all share roughly the same size and an equally bewildered expression on their tiny faces.

"What just happened?" several thousand tiny voices ask in perfect harmony.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

[Lornesse Forest]

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    Ezra Sharpe, formerly known as Ezra Reyes, walks alongside Kelcey and Peyton, his girlfriend and family penguin, respectively, in a forest, on their way to get the Blessings.

"Something about this whole thing sounds cheesy, oh my, yes! Blessings of the forest? Who calls it that?" He says with a chuckle. "Why not just 'Forest's Blessings'?"

(Group) Nancy_KC: it was visions and prophecies that told the king what artifacts to get
    (Group) Nancy_KC: cheesiness seems appropriate

A while after passing through the tight undergrowth, the forest seems to let up a bit. Here, signs of unnatural destruction start to appear. Some trees have been chopped down, and a couple others continue to smoulder from the last burnt bits. Before long, Ezra should come across a small clearing, where all the trees have been razed into lifeless black stumps.

A toughened woman sits on the ashen ground, dressed in furs and covered in bloody wounds. As soon as she spots the couple, she picks up her wooden staff, scrambles to her feet, and prepares to defend herself.

'Stop there!' the woman shouts sternly, even though she's panting heavily. 'I already have a lot on my hands, trying to protect the forest from undead abominations. What are you doing here?'
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-10-20 at 02:58 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Traveling]

Cleo might be caught doing the same, stowing away unlikely fruit tarts. One never knows when they'll be out of food.

"We want to get there with light still out, don't we? Yeah, let's get going."

Cao Pi nods

It would be best if we reached the city before it was too dark.

Once they're on the way again, she starts humming a lively marching tune, which has the curious effect of getting the group to move 1/6 faster.
    Keiko is quiet for a while: apprehensive and uncertain - unused to a situation like this. Her ears scan and flick, looking for the smallest sounds and she is hardly watching where they are going...
    which scarcely matters. With near miraculous precision, Cao Pi leads the group through the jungle: boldly and confidently striding along without a care in the world. Sun Ce is staring at Keiko the whole time, fairly well ignoring everything else and beginning to act rather thoroughly besotted - rather in contrast to his behavior earlier.

A bird is frightened by the group as they walk by - it makes Keiko jump which makes the Hu and Huli laugh... Keiko brushes them off but is even more upset now: it was a pigeon - the dream is beginning to drift.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hedge

The many, many bugs might notice the half-dug escape burrow and small pile of goblin fruits, half-eaten and not, next to Will, who immediately jumps up, though he breathes a sigh of relief at their questioning. Though that quickly dissolves into annoyance.
    "Just? There was nothing just about what took place here! I've been sitting here for like, two hours making sure you didn't get eaten by kelpies or something while you did all your gross bug stuff." he declares, proving his sense of time is about as good as faerie itself. He has trouble knowing where to look at the giant swarm, so he selects a particularly silly fuzzy moth-dragon and picks it up so he can have something to look in the eyes. His paws are surprisingly soft and gentle, considering his mannerisms.
    "So uh, yeah, welcome to faeriehood. I think. Do you guys work like Geth or do you all have individual brains?" he asks, curious.