New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Planeside 2

1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside 2

[Somewhere]

This change of holidays seems to be quite a thing, doesn't it?

A bed of grass sweeps over the unearthed basket with a body in it, joined by sunflowers and rings of mushrooms, and in an impossible time-lapse sort of way crumble it and the easter basket away to dust.

But yes, unimportant now. Cleo tugs at Keiko's hand, urging her away from the awful sight and towards the considerably less awful sight of another candy-rabbit. That's the way, after all.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2015-10-28 at 05:04 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

[Somewhere]

You do know that's what the Easter baskets were for, right?

Moving right along, Keiko gladly lets Cleo lead her away to the rabbit hole. Naturally, the marshmallow creature dives back inside as the predatory pair approaches, but the hole is clearly there... and apparently about five inches across.

It's a little small... do we need to do some shapeshifty stuff?

3. - Top - End - #183

[Somewhere]

But Cleo has no idea of their historical significance.

"Probably. Do you have a good way to be small?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

[Somewhere]

Keiko grins and all nine tails wag

The newest fox! It's SOOO cute.

She concentrates, glows a deep indigo for a moment, and shrinks away ... to a micro-fox! The diminutive micro-Keiko frisks around in the sugar-grass, wagging and thrashing her tiny tail and barking.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-10-29 at 08:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185

[Somewhere]

It really is so adorable. Cleo can only manage an inarticulate squeal of glee.

Okay, well, that's fun but also they need to go. So she crouches down and collapses into a brightly colored bird. Much bigger than the micro-fox, but still pretty small. Easily enough of a little size to go hopping down the rabbit hole.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

[Somewhere]

Micro-Keiko bounds down into the marshmallow-rabbit hole with another excited yip! Well... a long series of excited yips, nearly endlessly yipping... yeah. She's not been this talkative in a while, but now she seems to be making up for it.

Down, down, down... and then out into ...

some woods.

7. - Top - End - #187

[Somewoods]

Oh good. It's just the woods. With the way the cavern layer was messing with them, Cleo had worried they were going to end up in the bone pits or a churchyard or something. But no, it's just the woods like always. Not that the woods are safe, or anything like that.

She stretches her wings out, turning herself back into human shape with arms and legs, and bends down to pick up micro-Keiko.

"Okay, love, we made it to the other side. I bet we can get back to the material world or the plane of shadow exactly the same way we got into his dream. You do remember how you did that, right?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

[Somewoods]

Micro-Keiko nods, and then casts a spell in fox-form: which is the most comical bout of acrobatics and gyrations... described many a time by naturalists and such as hunting behavior... oh.

The world blurs and blends and shifts...

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Into a place the pair might well have ended up in by a vastly shorter path. There's just one small lamp out, and a pair of very nice looking nightdresses are draped on the bed. A silver tray with an assortment of fancy crystal bottles and two glasses is resting on a stand, and another tray with bread, fruit, and cheese is on the dresser.

Micro-Keiko looks around, and yips softly in a long rambly stream... presumably describing the servants and the sorts of things they do when they find that she's staying out late without telling anyone. Possibly explaining what's in the bottles, or expounding on the shadowsilk night dresses. Or a variety of things... but this isn't speech: it's yipping without anything resembling language and without hope of translation.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-10-29 at 08:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

[Keiko's Bedroom]

"Uh."

Cleo looks around the room. She hadn't expected it to be that easy.

"Keiko?"

Nice of whoever made sure they had food and clothing, though.

"I don't speak 'tiny fox'."

She smiles down at the micro-Keiko, just barely able to keep from laughing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Micro-Keiko stops and looks around, then sniffs at Cleo's hand, then sits down and scratches her right ear with her head tilted comically and the usual "I'm scratching my ear" face that all canids get. She does the usual foot-sniff afterwards, then looks down at Cleo's hand, then gets up and turns around a few times, then jumps off: turning into Keiko along the fall.

Sorry about that... The servants got this stuff for us: there are perks to being a princess, after all. So, uh... sorry about the weird detour. I hadn't expected that doofus to have a strong enough hold to deflect my teleport... I was using the an easier version instead of a more secure one.

She sighs and shakes her head

I'm going to have to take them more seriously, aren't I? Sorry, Cleo, somehow you keep having people start religions all around you.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-10-29 at 09:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Cleo shrugs.

"And we shouldn't mention it, right? No worries. It was an adventure, wasn't it? Just use the secure one next time."
    "So far, I've avoided getting drawn into anyone's religions...I won't be able to keep that up, will I?"

With a worried look coming over her face, she sits down on the-there's gotta be some sort of furniture here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Oh yes! Besides the bed there's a very nice armchair by the window, a char in front of the dressing table, and a long chest at the foot of the bed that is padded on top.

Keiko shrugs

Maybe not. But Dad's not part of Tammy's organization, and I'm gonna resign once Steven is up to speed. I can keep my little cult little and reasonable, so I don't think they'll matter. It's not anything that you necessarily have to worry about yourself, ever... I don't think.

She tilts her head

Is something wrong?

13. - Top - End - #193

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Ah, an armchair! Perfect for falling into dramatically. Which Cleo does.

"Little and reasonable? And here I thought you were going to start taking it more seriously now you'd gotten back."

She shakes her head, which somehow turns into nodding her head wryly.

"Cults, and worship, and angel princesses. It's heavy stuff to be back into. I'm nervous I won't keep up with you."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #194
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Keiko chuckles as she undresses

"Seriously" does not mean "Wanting to grow". It doesn't take much to keep my introverted little congregation small - they're mostly all so shy it hurts. The few who are a tiny bit outgoing just need a bit of "only the called may come", and I can shut pro-salt-isle-ation... down.

She scowls, knowing that wasn't the right way to pronounce the word but not knowing quite rightly how to say it.

I gotta catch up before you can fall behind... three quarters of my life is pretending to know stuff I don't.

15. - Top - End - #195

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Well, that means this is enough lingering in the chair. Cleo gets up and looks away from Keiko and goes to change herself into the appropriate nightdress.

"Proselytization? But I mean...I guess I don't know what I mean. That's...commendable. Keeping them stable. I don't know them at all, after all. Just one doofus's dreams, right?"

There, Keiko's gotten her to start giggling.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Keiko giggles, and pulls her nightdress over her head and shrugs it into place

Yep. And given that little adventure, I think I'll be more selective after this.

She yanks the quilt and sheets out from under the pillows and squirms her way into the bed.

It'll be fine, one way or another. Worst case, we take the last couple as servants and shut the whole thing down, it's not like I'm all that attached to the idea.

17. - Top - End - #197

[Keiko's Bedroom]

"I don't know that you can just take people as servants. I mean, who's to tell how they'd react to shutting it down?"

Cleo pauses at the foot of the bed.

"Am I meant to stay in here?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Keiko blinks, the picture of confusion. Everything about her demeanor is treating this like a grand slumber-party.

Uh... well... yeah. I mean, unless you don't want to stay here. And I don't mean the foot of the bed, that would be weird.

I'm sure they can find another room if you'd like that better.

She makes big-eyes

But I don't think I snore.

19. - Top - End - #199

[Keiko's Bedroom]

"No, wanting to stay here is exactly why I should stay somewhere else. A guest room, or something, I wouldn't want to be weird."

Aww, Keiko, don't do the big-eyes. Cleo smiles and shakes her head before climbing into the bed as well.

"How could I like it better than being here with you?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Keiko grins, and extinguishes the lights: only a diffuse glow comes in through the gauzy curtains over her window. She huddles up next to Cleo in "best buddy in the whole wide world" fashion, and is still quite curious.

I never knew dreams were a real place... I mean, I 've heard that in the lectures before: dreams and nightmares both... but somehow I always took it as more of a... uh... metaphor. Do all the dreams end up in the same place? 'Cause here we don't even use the same three dimensions as back in the material world. Or does it even matter, really. And why do I keep dreaming about that awful afternoon? I guess I'm just as glad we didn't end up in my dream.

she shudders

21. - Top - End - #201

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Cleo smiles broader, and a bit sadly, as the lights go out, and cuddles up to Keiko.

"They're, uh, I think so. All the dreams from the world go to one place, but the shadow here might be its own world, with its own dreams? Everyone tends to dream in the dimensions they experience. So if we ended up in your dream, it might be all stretchy, you know?"

At this point, she decides a comforting hug is in order.

"You keep dreaming about it because it was important, and a shock, or because it troubles you. You might need to come to terms with it besides just forgetting, or maybe just fill up your head with happier dreams. I learned about all this dream stuff to try to stop my own nightmares. But it's not that easy."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Keiko hmmms

All stretchy and flat - heh. But it ought to seem normal to me, shouldn't it? Guess I'm kinda a weirdo for hopping between the worlds so often as I do. I wonder if I dream in both...

Keiko happily snuggles into the hug as she ponders that notion for a while. Then she has another thought.

I wonder if I should just face the dream version and see if I can sort it out, then... 'cause forgetting just doesn't seem to be likely and I don't know how to get happy dreams instead.

23. - Top - End - #203

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Cleo murmurs some agreement.

"Probably should. Even if you don't sort it, well, it's just a bad dream. And I'll be there to help. Goodnight, - goodnight, Keiko."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    "I was more referring to the flare," Cinnamon said, "This may be something instead left behind by that woman with dark skin. That said... this maze isn't terribly catlike, either. Why give the people a solid goal, when you can just toy with them until you get bored?"

It's practically pushed out of her way at the last moment, rolling hard into a corner of the maze, where it hits the wall!

Memento shakes it's head. It points at violet, and then points up in the air, and spins around.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    "What's up?"

Realm of Cats

"The goal is probably a trick, to be honest. We probably have to cheat to get anywhere. I just don't know how to do that!" says Lee, frustrated.
    Realm of Cats

Dena looks at the drone. "Didn't work out that well last time but I guess we don't have much of a choice. Maybe you should ride her? You were the one that spotted the cat after all. Putting those special cat senses to use eh?"

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Bedroom]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Cleo murmurs some agreement.

"Probably should. Even if you don't sort it, well, it's just a bad dream. And I'll be there to help. Goodnight, - goodnight, Keiko."
    Keiko nods and soon drifts off to sleep, happy in Cleo's embrace. It's not long until they're in

[Keiko's Dream]

Real-Keiko appears in a lovely bedroom: a soaring ceiling, expansive windows with layers of gauzy curtains, a fantastic carpet on the marble floor and whimsical tapestries on the stone walls. She finds a place discretely off to the side where she can watch without being in the way.

Shortly after, a young black-furred Vulpan vixen comes running in and slams the door, locking it behind herself. 16 year old Keiko shows how much the Vulpans start to diverge from humans, for whom she would barely pass as a 12 year old. She is dressed in a silvery white dress that sets off her dark fur very nicely, with silver bangles on her arms and a tiara with white and red gems.

There are muffled, violent sounds outside, and dream-Keiko stands near the foot of the bed: trembling in clear terror

Real-Keiko sighs softly
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-11-03 at 05:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

[Keiko's Dream]

It takes a little while longer for Cleo to arrive, known only as a friendly pat on real-Keiko's shoulder. Otherwise, she can't be seen or head or smelled. I guess tasted would work, but really, she's just an observer.

"You were cute."

An out of place observation, really, but perhaps something positive will help put her in the right frame of mind.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Dream]

real-Keiko nods

I was, though. This never takes long: and I just plan to watch this time.

In short order it goes ominously quiet outside. Then, without any warning, the door is pounded on with terrible force - so hard the hinges bend and the stonework cracks. The door itself creaks and bulges, but does not yet open.

dream-Keiko squeaks and scurries around the window side of the bed, looking around frantically.

real-Keiko shudders

Third floor: can't jump... didn't actually occur to me anyway.

Another powerful blow and the door flies open, mostly splintered and ripped from the hinges, to land on the floor. Outside, a fearsome figure in old fashioned Chinese armor stomps in, wielding a huge straight sword of an odd green metal.

An oddly familiar sword.

The same one Ce's father gave him back in the other dream, in fact. real-Keiko seems to have managed a bit of detachment watching the events third-person.

How peculiar... I hadn't thought of that. I wonder why that's shown up again? So many swords lately - it's getting tedious.

Tenjin stomps toward the frightened princess, who now cowers against the far wall. He raises his sword and she squints her eyes shut... but then he seems to change his mind. Keiko tilts her head, then goes completely rigid as it becomes very clear what the dreadful warrior is about to do.

no no NO!!!

dream-Keiko and real-Keiko scream in unison as the dream shatters beyond repair.

28. - Top - End - #208

[Keiko's Dream]

Cleo stiffens up as she watches the memory play out.

"Wouldn't have helped."

How strange. Why was he able to dream up that same sword? Was that an element of Keiko's imagination? Or is this another widely-known relic she should grasp on sight?

Cleo appears to vision and pulls Keiko away, moving to her own empty dreams, of the beach outside Inside.
    "It's past, Keikio. Only a dream."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

[Keiko's Dream]

Keiko stands there for a time, breathing heavily.

Oh, yes. It is only a dream... that didn't happen. I checked several times because I was afraid it might have, and I've had other diviners check too while standing in the ruins of my old bedroom: there's no doubt at all: that didn't happen.

But that's about as long as her composure can last and she collapses against Cleo, trembling and sobbing softly.

It didn't happen in real life, but it's been happing over and over here in my dreams. I never remember that part when I wake up but now that I'm here... oh, Inari save me!

For now, she isn't in a position to comment further on the sword.

30. - Top - End - #210

[Cleo's Dream]

Nor is Cleo in a position to care about the sword. There's a lot of possible explanations, some reasonable, others exciting. And none of them matter at this point.

She embraces Keiko, to be solid and strong while the poor fox-creature cries. One hand strokes Keiko's hair, hoping to be a small comfort.

"There, there. We can save you ourselves. I'll see to it, if you want, that you remember no more of this than any dream."
    "Can you express why you're afraid, of this? We can dream up such terrible happenings for ourselves. You must know you're safe, that it never was, but it still troubles you."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine