New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Feng Shui; Magic in zones

Quote Originally Posted by AtlasSniperman View Post
    Is anyone using or has anyone used this in their game? If so, how did it go/ how's it going? Is it worth it for me to continue?
    I just discovered this thread yesterday (when you necro'd it, I guess?), but I intend to begin using it in my home campaign right away! It fits perfectly into how magic works in my setting, so it's going to be really ideal and cut down on a lot of work I was going to have to do. In particular, the druid magic is going to be awesome, but the whole idea of feng shui in a world where magic is a part of nature like wind or water makes a ton of sense, so I'm going to start using it all, even the parts I hadn't considered until now!
    It might be a little while until I can get back to you about how it's going (we're on a couple weeks break while various of us students have to do finals-related things), but I definitely will do so!

Thanks for the awesome idea!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eternalink View Post
    I just discovered this thread yesterday (when you necro'd it, I guess?), but I intend to begin using it in my home campaign right away! It fits perfectly into how magic works in my setting, so it's going to be really ideal and cut down on a lot of work I was going to have to do. In particular, the druid magic is going to be awesome, but the whole idea of feng shui in a world where magic is a part of nature like wind or water makes a ton of sense, so I'm going to start using it all, even the parts I hadn't considered until now!
    It might be a little while until I can get back to you about how it's going (we're on a couple weeks break while various of us students have to do finals-related things), but I definitely will do so!

Thanks for the awesome idea!
    This is excellent to hear! Appears I timed by necromancy well to catch this adventuring party unawares.

I'll focus on adding some more things specifically for DM'ing, Such as the Coincidental Feng Shui that is now added to the first post, but will be expanded on. If you or your players have any ideas/requests over the course of play, let me know and I'll look into if it would work, and if so how to balance it for use(i.e. Spell research XD)

I hope you and your group enjoy it :)
    Your friendly neighbourhood sniperman.
    My controversial opinions:
    • I like blue souls.
    • Alignment isn't terrible.

My Homebrew: Feng Shui; Magic in Zones, Plus others I'm not particularly proud of rn.

3. - Top - End - #33

Its an interesting thought thats for sure...
    Wheel of Time 3.5e Homebrew
    My Original D20 System: Forgotten Prophecies RPG

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

4. - Top - End - #34

RogueGuy

Big update. Changes listed here as well as being included in the OP:

Skill checks:
    Characters encountering CFS for the first time may attempt skill checks to know about Feng Shui in general(or this effect specifically). Feel free to adjust the following descriptions for your particular setting
    Knowledge(Arcana)
    DC Information
    10 Magical effects can be found sometimes simply existing in the wilderness, most are harmless or helpful, but some can be quite dangerous.
    15 These effects are called Feng Shui and some people have learnt how to replicate the persistent effects by the arrangement of objects.
    20 Most Feng Shui comes in one of two major categories; Local and Architectural. Although, rumours speak of other, larger or stranger types.
    25 Local Feng Shui can fairly reliably be destroyed by spells that attack an area. Architectural Feng Shui can exist as long as the building causing it remains in good enough condition to achieve its normal job.
    30 Academic rumours speak of Feng Shui effects the size of cities, mountains, and even entire countrysides.
    Knowledge(Religion)
    DC Information
    10 Some holy sites, such as churches or shrines have permanent magic effects. Many were built on a location because of the magic effect known to occur there.
    15 Some places are thought to be where a deity has walked the world, as some creatures that deity hates(like undead, animals, elves, dwarves, or something else) cannot enter.
    20 When a shrine or temple is built on one of these holy sites, it's not uncommon for the magic to leave. Perhaps as punishment for tresspassing by the deity?
    25 Some religious scholars believe it went the other way; an area was magical before any rumours or legends of a deity was associated with it.
    30 In a rare few cases entire temples or cathedrals have, upon completion, become beacons of holy power. Themselves healing the sick or keeping the undead at bay.
    Spellcraft
    DC Information
    10 The arrangement of some objects in this area are causing the magical effect. As if the area is one large Somatic* component for a spell.
    15 An effect like this should be fairly easy to disrupt, an area effect spell would be pretty reliable.^
    20 Given enough time to study this, it may be possible to adapt some priciples of how it works to make other effects yourself.
    25 Theoretically this kind of effect could be extrapolated into architecture or allow abilities that existing spells simply aren't capable of.
    *A fun switch would be if this is done at a waterfall that is producing the effect, to swap it from "Somatic" to "Verbal" component.
    ^This is where you should include some way the player can interrupt or destroy the effect. Such as "cutting down a tree" or the casting of Darkness in the area of Shadowtrap.

Environmental rules
    Feng shui as done by the civilized races carries some assumptions that must be worked around in environments other than cities. At the lowest level this can be represented as a DC modifier:
    +2 in fields and forests
    +5 deserts, dirt wastelands, and snowscapes

Additionally, feng shui can be made from drawing runes and sigils in loose particles(such as sand, snow, or dirt). However doing so provides a risk of the wind blowing it away and ruining the effect. The risk is ultimately up to the DM, but a reasonable guide is 15% chance per hour for normal light winds. And 100% chance that a storm(wind or rain) will destroy it. Feng Shui drawn as runes cannot be simply shielded from the wind, as doing so cuts off the flow of magic and ends the effect itself.

Druidic Feng Shui additions
    Sandpassage Complex
    Requirements: DC 25 Knowledge(Geography), DC 25 Knowledge(Architecture), DC 25 Knowledge(Nature), DC 30 Spellcraft.
    Space: A desert area at least 3 miles in diameter on both axis'
    Time: 12 Years
    General Description: A city within a rocky pit deep in the bowels of the desert. A thousand tunnels spread out from the walls, like the nest of a million giant termites.
    Benefit: A Super Shui that stacks with all Druidic and nondruidic Feng Shui as if it did not exist. See also "Sandpassage outpost"

Sandpassage Outpost
    Requirements: DC 10 Knowledge(Nature), DC 5 Spellcraft
    Space: 10ft square of desert or highly sand strewn dungeon
    Time: 2 hours
    General description: A complex circle of runes carved into the very sands.
    Benefit: Creatures stepping into the area find themselve exiting a tunnel in the nearest Sandpassage Complex. This tunnel becomes linked to the outpost used to activate it, allowing two way instantaneous travel, until the outpost is destroyed(most commonly by wind or sandstorms, see "environmental rules")
    Special: At the gamemasters discretion, a Sandpassage Outpost can only be created by a character capable of both Druidic Feng Shui and casting "Tree stride". Or the time element can be decreased for such characters.

additionally, Druidic Feng Shui formatting has been updated to be more consistent with the rest of the entries.
    • I like blue souls.

My Homebrew: Feng Shui; Magic in Zones, Plus others I'm not particularly proud of rn.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Atlassniperman, I love this! Please, do continue to expand on it; its simply amazing!

As a suggestion, you might find some ideas in the following old d20 books:

Mongoose Publishing:

Quintessential Druid <Living items, ley stuff, magic gardens>
    Quintessential Elf II <MUCH along your line with magic shaping terrain for special effects along the lines of your druidic feng shui, extremely detailed 'lifestyle and industrail effects for multiple styles of 'living technology>
    Quintessential drow/Sheoloth <Only a little mainly Sheoloth rules for 'living buildings via fleshcraft>

While these books are sometims thought OP or 'unbalanced', I thought they might do as inspiration, at least.

Mystic Eye Productions' 'The Deep' <Rules for 'life wells' positive energy 'vents' that imbue magical abilities>

Green Ronin's 'Plot and Poison' is also interesting for its 'vermincraft items It was 3.5'd in 'Advanced Races: Drow'

6. - Top - End - #36

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhoss View Post
    Atlassniperman, I love this! Please, do continue to expand on it; its simply amazing!
    I don't plan on stopping :)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhoss View Post
    Quintessential Druid <Living items, ley stuff, magic gardens>
    Quintessential Elf II <MUCH along your line with magic shaping terrain for special effects along the lines of your druidic feng shui, extremely detailed 'lifestyle and industrail effects for multiple styles of 'living technology>
    Quintessential drow/Sheoloth <Only a little mainly Sheoloth rules for 'living buildings via fleshcraft>
    Mystic Eye Productions' 'The Deep' <Rules for 'life wells' positive energy 'vents' that imbue magical abilities>
    Green Ronin's 'Plot and Poison' is also interesting for its 'vermincraft items It was 3.5'd in 'Advanced Races: Drow'
    Thanks for the suggestions. Looking through Quintessential Druid first. The stuff you listed for it haven't really grabbed me... that said, the "Sacred Grove" section IS giving me some ideas.

Will look into the others soon :)
    • I like blue souls.

7. - Top - End - #37

RogueGuy

Like every form of magic, Feng Shui does have its dark side.

King Berlythiram's Ballroom[Evil]
    Requirements: DC 30 Spellcraft, 20 minutes.
    Benefit: Living creatures in the area become terrifyingly succeptible to music. Creatures must make a DC10+(perform check result) will save to avoid dancing to any music present. This save can be reattempted each hour with a -1 penalty for every failed save. Creatures cannot leave the area while dancing. And the dancing does not stop unless they make the save, the music stops, or they die. Rules for forced marches should be observed, as well as rules for dehydration and starvation.

House of Horrors[Evil]
    Requirements: DC 35 Spellcraft, DC 25 Knowledge(arcana).
    Benefit: Humanoid, Animal, Monstrous Humanoid, or Giant type creatures that spend more than 3 days within this building are transformed into Aberrations. These Aberrations keep their memories and personalities from before entering the building, but their alignment is changed to Chaotic Evil. One of the primary forms of entertainment for these abberants is bringing new victims into the building and preventing them from leaving as the magic takes effect.
    Succeptability[Evil]
    Requirements: DC 20 Spellcraft, A room 30ft square.
    Benefit: Creatures in the room take a -2 penalty to Sense Motive checks, Will Saves, and Constitution checks while present. The penalty to Will saves increases to -10 against Charm effects.
    Special: The creator of this feng shui can designate a creature or identifier(such as a tattoo). That creature, or any creature wearing the identifier, are immune to the effects of this room.

Awww, I've hit the character limit in OP. Any suggestions on how I should go about changing the presentation? Should I make a new thread with reserve posts for each category? Or should I create a googledoc?
    Last edited by AtlasSniperman; 2018-05-09 at 01:32 AM.
    • I like blue souls.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Awww, I've hit the character limit in OP. Any suggestions on how I should go about changing the presentation? Should I make a new thread with reserve posts for each category? Or should I create a googledoc?
    I'd ask napoleon_in_rag to kindly remove his reply at post #2. Same goes for Allnightmask regarding post #4. That will give you a continuation of 2 or 3 posts. For politeness, you could move your reply from post #5 to post #7.
    Another option is to simply disregard those posts and live without continuation, continuing your work at posts #3 and #5.
    Don't go for a new thread, because you'll lose the momentum that this thread has already gained.

9. - Top - End - #39

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    I'd ask napoleon_in_rag to kindly remove his reply at post #2. Same goes for Allnightmask regarding post #4. That will give you a continuation of 2 or 3 posts. For politeness, you could move your reply from post #5 to post #7.
    Another option is to simply disregard those posts and live without continuation, continuing your work at posts #3 and #5.
    Don't go for a new thread, because you'll lose the momentum that this thread has already gained.
    Thanks for the tip man. Doing so now, What do you think of the updates while your here :P
    • I like blue souls.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

A few quick questions:

Is this intended to be for 3.5 or Pathfinder? It isn't obvious to me (the only issue here might be given what levels one qualifies due to the difference in how skill ranks work). My guess is that this intended for 3.5 in which case, I'd suggest adding a note explicitly to that effect, and maybe note that if using Pathfinder to reduce the skill check prerequisites for the feats by 3.

One general concern is that it is very easy to bump spellcraft checks so I'm not sure the DCs really make a substantial difference.

Specific comments:
    Final wake seems to be more directly *magical* an effect than the other small Feng Shui effects and might make more sense as one for Feng Shui adept.

Holy Structure- This prevents entry of all undead? This seems a bit strong. Maybe allow a will save for intelligent undead? Possibly a will save that scales with the result of your check in some way, so the better you made the Feng Shui, the harder it is for them to enter? Same remark applies to Unholy Structure. Also, one might want to have an explicit rule that one cannot have a structure be both a Holy Structure and an Unholy structure- I could see otherwise a PC who is a construct taking advantage of this in a cheesy way.

Strict magic zone- I think the details for the mechanics for this need to be a lot more spelled out.

Separately, it might be interesting to have a few small Feng Shuis which each gives a benefits to various caster types (say one where if an arcane spellcaster prepares spells there they get an extra level 1 spell slot, a similar one for psionics where they get an extra power point if they refresh power points, and one which gives a binder a +2 bonus to any binding checks they make in the area).
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

11. - Top - End - #41

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Is this intended to be for 3.5 or Pathfinder? It isn't obvious to me (the only issue here might be given what levels one qualifies due to the difference in how skill ranks work). My guess is that this intended for 3.5 in which case, I'd suggest adding a note explicitly to that effect, and maybe note that if using Pathfinder to reduce the skill check prerequisites for the feats by 3.
    Yeah it was originally written for 3.5, and should be useable for PF. I keep intending to add the conversion rule you've recommended, but keep forgetting. I swear I will right after I finish this reply!

One general concern is that it is very easy to bump spellcraft checks so I'm not sure the DCs really make a substantial difference.
    This is probably my reasoning behind originally having multiple skillchecks required. But I'm always willing to hear variant DC recommendations.

Final wake seems to be more directly *magical* an effect than the other small Feng Shui effects and might make more sense as one for Feng Shui adept.
    For the most part I would agree, I included it mainly as a lesser form of the wake room for use by adventuring parties. I have been considering including an additional feat to grant access to more magical feng shui's in each category(among other feat ideas). If I do end up doing that, Final Wake will be assigned to that feat.

Holy Structure- This prevents entry of all undead? This seems a bit strong. Maybe allow a will save for intelligent undead? Possibly a will save that scales with the result of your check in some way, so the better you made the Feng Shui, the harder it is for them to enter? Same remark applies to Unholy Structure. Also, one might want to have an explicit rule that one cannot have a structure be both a Holy Structure and an Unholy structure- I could see otherwise a PC who is a construct taking advantage of this in a cheesy way.
    This is my fault as I have a tendency to skip things in my writing and assume everyone who reads it gets the same impression I intended. 1) Yes it is suppose to block all undead, but those undead able to make saves are probably capable of finding a way to attack the building without approaching proper. More of a plot element than anything.
    2)Here's where my assumption came in. I will make it explicit that Architectural Feng Shui does not overlap with itself or Small scale Feng Shui. The ONLY feng shui that overlaps with categories of its size or smaller are Druidic and Super.

Strict magic zone- I think the details for the mechanics for this need to be a lot more spelled out.
    Could you please explain your concern or confusion? As I'm not certain what the problem is and would love to correct it :)

Separately, it might be interesting to have a few small Feng Shuis which each gives a benefits to various caster types (say one where if an arcane spellcaster prepares spells there they get an extra level 1 spell slot, a similar one for psionics where they get an extra power point if they refresh power points, and one which gives a binder a +2 bonus to any binding checks they make in the area).
    Hmm, this is a fun idea and I'll consider making them up. It would be a fun thing(in my mind) for the last guy on watch to spend his watch time setting up "preparation circles" for the actual casters.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll get into that stuff right away.
    • I like blue souls.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

This is probably my reasoning behind originally having multiple skillchecks required. But I'm always willing to hear variant DC recommendations.
    I'm not sure this is a perfect solution since bumping a knowledge check isn't tough also. In the other direction, if they are spending that much on feats and they want to then maximize spellcraft, that may not be an issue. If one is for example a wizard, it isn't like this is the most game breaking set of feats one could take even if one just compared it to core.

For the most part I would agree, I included it mainly as a lesser form of the wake room for use by adventuring parties. I have been considering including an additional feat to grant access to more magical feng shui's in each category(among other feat ideas). If I do end up doing that, Final Wake will be assigned to that feat.
    Hmm, that might be interesting and might also help make it feel like this is a whole subsystem.

This is my fault as I have a tendency to skip things in my writing and assume everyone who reads it gets the same impression I intended. 1) Yes it is suppose to block all undead, but those undead able to make saves are probably capable of finding a way to attack the building without approaching proper. More of a plot element than anything.
    It may be intended as a plot point but I could see PCs really, really easily abusing this. For example: There's a vampire going around town- we'll just Feng Shui every house systematically, etc. It really should have some sort of save.

Here's where my assumption came in. I will make it explicit that Architectural Feng Shui does not overlap with itself or Small scale Feng Shui. The ONLY feng shui that overlaps with categories of its size or smaller are Druidic and Super.
    Yeah, that's a good rule that will help stop a lot of the more ridiculous shennanigans.

Could you please explain your concern or confusion? As I'm not certain what the problem is and would love to correct it :)
    Well, can one specify specific vestiges, or is it vestige magic in general? Things like that.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2018-05-11 at 09:04 PM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

13. - Top - End - #43

RogueGuy

I'm not sure this is a perfect solution since bumping a knowledge check isn't tough also. In the other direction, if they are spending that much on feats and they want to then maximize spellcraft, that may not be an issue. If one is for example a wizard, it isn't like this is the most game breaking set of feats one could take even if one just compared it to core.
    Hence my wanting feedback and playtesting

It may be intended as a plot point but I could see PCs really, really easily abusing this. For example: There's a vampire going around town- we'll just Feng Shui every house systematically, etc. It really should have some sort of save.
    Holy structure can only be done during its construction. It isn't a convertible one. I'll check it does read correctly.

Well, can one specify specific vestiges, or is it vestige magic in general? Things like that.
    Fair enough. I'll make it clearer when I have a moment
    • I like blue souls.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy structure can only be done during its construction.
    Ah, that solves almost all my issues with it then. Never mind.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the tip man. Doing so now, What do you think of the updates while your here :P
    When I have constructive criticism, I share. In the meantime, I'm doing my part not to get in the way. Overall you're doing a great job so far

16. - Top - End - #46

RogueGuy

What do you think, bit much? I'm not certain of the balance of this one(Small scale):

Preparation Circle
    "The magic flowing through this area clings willingly to those capable of manipulating it themselves, granting a little extra versatility to your arsenal" ~ Gorm, Architect of Blood
    Requirements: DC 25 Spellcraft, DC 25 Knowledge(Arcana), 20 minutes
    Benefit: When constructed, choose one of the following effects:
    • Spellcasters gain 1 additional spell level worth of slots.
    • Psionic Manifesters gain 1 additional power point while refreshing their Power point pools.
    • Binders gain a +2 bonus on Binding checks within the area.
    • Meldshapers gain 1 additional point of essentia when forming their soulmelds.

These effects do not stack with themselves if conditions are met multiple times in one day.(repreparing spells does not gain an additional level of spell slots. Reshaping soulmelds does not gain an additional point of essentia). You cannot benefit from this Feng Shui if you built it yourself.
    Special: When making the Feng shui, you may choose to increase the DC's by any multiple of 5. The number of multiples of 5 added, are then added to the benefit chosen. This raised DC must be decided before the check is made, and failure wastes the time.
    Example; Gorm, the groups Fighter, chooses to make this feng shui for Preparatory casters(for use by the groups wizard). He decides to risk 20 minutes by raising the DC's by 10, requiring a 35 in Spellcraft and Knowledge(arcana). If he succeeds, the group wizard would gain 3 extra spell levels worth of slots when preparing(1 for the base check, another 2 for the +10 to the DC). Gorm succeeds, and when the group wizard prepared his spells, she decided to use the three extra levels to prepare an additional Detect Undead and Invisibility spell.

This would be another clear contender for that advanced Small Scale feng shui feat.
    Last edited by AtlasSniperman; 2018-05-12 at 07:04 AM.
    • I like blue souls.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

What do you think, bit much? I'm not certain of the balance of this one(Small scale):

Preparation Circle
    "The magic flowing through this area clings willingly to those capable of manipulating it themselves, granting a little extra versatility to your arsenal" ~ Gorm, Architect of Blood
    Requirements: DC 25 Spellcraft, DC 25 Knowledge(Arcana), 20 minutes
    Benefit: When constructed, choose one of the following effects:
    • Spellcasters gain 1 additional spell level worth of slots.
    • Psionic Manifesters gain 1 additional power point while refreshing their Power point pools.
    • Binders gain a +2 bonus on Binding checks within the area.
    • Meldshapers gain 1 additional point of essentia when forming their soulmelds.

These effects do not stack with themselves if conditions are met multiple times in one day.(repreparing spells does not gain an additional level of spell slots. Reshaping soulmelds does not gain an additional point of essentia). You cannot benefit from this Feng Shui if you built it yourself.
    Special: When making the Feng shui, you may choose to increase the DC's by any multiple of 5. The number of multiples of 5 added, are then added to the benefit chosen. This raised DC must be decided before the check is made, and failure wastes the time.
    Example; Gorm, the groups Fighter, chooses to make this feng shui for Preparatory casters(for use by the groups wizard). He decides to risk 20 minutes by raising the DC's by 10, requiring a 35 in Spellcraft and Knowledge(arcana). If he succeeds, the group wizard would gain 3 extra spell levels worth of slots when preparing(1 for the base check, another 2 for the +10 to the DC). Gorm succeeds, and when the group wizard prepared his spells, she decided to use the three extra levels to prepare an additional Detect Undead and Invisibility spell.
    Looks good to me. Also, a few other ideas (which you can take or leave as you see fit): Two magic items and a spell:

Iyia Shing: This magical book with worn pages can be used once daily by flipping through the pages and then finding a special row corresponding to the date and approximate location, which leads to a line or small poem which can be then interpreted. This can be used once daily to duplicate the spell Augury. Alternatively, this can be used to guide someone designing a Feng Shui structure. When someone has the book on hand they get a +2 circumstance to any checks related to Feng Shui.
    Moderate divination; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, Feng Shui Student , Augury; Price 2000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Coin of Liu Tao: This small bronze coin becomes cold to the touch when one is within 10 feet of or within an area which contains any sort of Feng Shui. The coin merely detects its presence, it does not give any information about the type or nature of the Feng Shui present.
    Moderate divination; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Feng Shui Student, Detect Magic; Price 350 gp; weight negligible.

New spell:
    Disrupt Feng Shui
    Abjuration
    Sor/Wiz 4 Clr 5
    Component: V,S
    Casting time: 1 standard action
    Range: 100 ft/caster level, centered on the caster
    Target: See text
    Duration: 1 hour/caster level
    Saving throw: None
    Spell resistance: No

This spell creates disruptive thaumaturgical vortexes which prevent nearby Feng Shui from functioning. When the spell is cast, against each Feng Shui effect in range, the caster makes a caster level check with DC equal to the DC to make that form of Feng Shui + 10 if it is a small Feng Shui, +15 if it is large scale and +20 if it is super scale. If the caster level check succeeds then the Feng Shui is suppressed for the duration.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

18. - Top - End - #48

RogueGuy

I have been thinking of adding items for a while. Though my first thought was a nonmagical kit that grants a bonus on the checks. That said, those items do look really good, both work well :)

As for the spell, the DC's of the caster level check is a range as follows
    Tier Min DC Max DC
    Small 15 35
    Large 35 50
    Super 45 60
    Seems reasonable XD
    • I like blue souls.

19. - Top - End - #49

RogueGuy

Some feat ideas :) Of course interested in feedback. I'm worried they don't read well.
    Thaumaturlogical Theoretician[Feng Shui]
    You've studied and understand enough of a specific field to be able to extrapolate it's use to creating Feng Shui magic.
    Prerequisite: Spellcraft is not a class skill.
    Benefit: Choose one of the following knowledge skills when you select this feat: Arcana, Architecture, Engineering, Geography, or Nature. When attempting to create a Feng Shui that requires a Spellcraft check, you may choose to instead roll the chosen knowledge skillcheck, against a DC equal to the spellcraft DC, plus the DC of the chosen skill if it is included as well. If the chosen knowledge skill is not one of the requirements for the Feng Shui, simply add 10 to the Spellcraft DC and use that.
    Additionally, you use the ranks in the chosen knowledge skill in place of Spellcraft ranks to qualify for other Feng Shui feats. This is the case even if the Feng Shui feat normally requires ranks in the chosen skill anyway.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times, each time choosing a different knowledge skill from the list. You may choose which instance of the feat to apply to any given Feng Shui attempt. A natural 20 is not an automatic success in any Feng Shui check. All [Feng Shui] feats are on the bonus feat list for all classes.
    Feng Shuipwright[Feng Shui]
    "A boat isn't that different from a house. It has walls, floor, roof, doors and architecture. Why shouldn't I be able to make a Feng Shui out of one?" ~ Ralkin Brachyr
    Prerequisite: Feng Shui Adept, (Craft(Ships) or Profession(Shipwright)) 3 Ranks.
    Benefit: You can design ships as if they were buildings benefiting from Architectural Feng Shui. Rooms of a ship cannot benefit from convertible Architectural Feng Shui, as there is too much risk of objects moving during a storm. Additionally, you cannot include a Feng Shui Well in a ship.
    If a Feng Shui ship is sunk, the effects do not necessarily end. The ship would have to be either broken into at least two large pieces, or become covered in coral, for the magic to be disrupted.
    Special: "Holy Structure" shipwrecks grant waterbreathing to creatures that normally can only breathe air, when inside them.
    • I like blue souls.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Thaumaturlogical Theoretician seems like a strange feat in that if one then takes a level with spellcraft as a class skill one loses the benefit? Maybe just instead have Feng Shui Student as a prerequisite? The feat is also a little weird since while it lets you avoid using spellcraft if you want to actually make any sort of Feng Shui you have to then have high levels of spellcraft still to qualify for the feats unless I'm missing something?

Feng Shui Shipwright seems good. I would allow other forms of major damage not just being split in to or being covered in coral; if for example it got covered in thick mud, or it got covered in mussels that should reasonably have a similar result.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

21. - Top - End - #51

RogueGuy

Thaumaturlogical Theoretician seems like a strange feat in that if one then takes a level with spellcraft as a class skill one loses the benefit? Maybe just instead have Feng Shui Student as a prerequisite? The feat is also a little weird since while it lets you avoid using spellcraft if you want to actually make any sort of Feng Shui you have to then have high levels of spellcraft still to qualify for the feats unless I'm missing something
    Student requires spellcraft. And theoretician includes "
    Additionally, you use the ranks in the chosen knowledge skill in place of Spellcraft ranks to qualify for other Feng Shui feats. This is the case even if the Feng Shui feat normally requires ranks in the chosen skill anyway."
    And yes, the point is that if it's a class skill you no longer qualify. I should give it another effect for if you later gain spellcraft, so it doesn't become just retrain fodder.

As for Feng shuipwright, I'll add other ways for it to be disturbed later :)
    • I like blue souls.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Student requires spellcraft. And theoretician includes "
    Additionally, you use the ranks in the chosen knowledge skill in place of Spellcraft ranks to qualify for other Feng Shui feats. This is the case even if the Feng Shui feat normally requires ranks in the chosen skill anyway."
    Ah, I should be more careful and try not to read things on phone. No issue with that part then.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am a fan, and I already have a plan for incorporating this into my campaign. It'll be a few weeks before we meet though.
    I think I'll give the ability to make small scale feng shui without the feat because my players won't have a free feat for some levels.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

24. - Top - End - #54

RogueGuy

Ah, I should be more careful and try not to read things on phone. No issue with that part then.
    It's cool man. good to know I predicted such a problem correctly XD

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post
    I am a fan, and I already have a plan for incorporating this into my campaign. It'll be a few weeks before we meet though.
    I think I'll give the ability to make small scale feng shui without the feat because my players won't have a free feat for some levels.
    Cool! Best of luck. and I hope to hear any feedback you get over the course of the game :)
    • I like blue souls.

25. - Top - End - #55

RogueGuy

Partially done. Need more ability options. Quite happy to hear from Druid players(or real druids) as to what they would want their grove to do for them.

Spoiler: Druidic Grove(incomplete)
    Show

Prerequisite: DC 20+(2* highest spell level ability) Spellcraft, DC 20+(2* highest spell level ability) Knowledge(nature). An area of natural land between 20ft square and 80ft square.
    Benefit: Used by Druids for thousands of years, a Druidic Grove may at this point be a rite of passage for druids. The druidic grove functions only for the creator, unless another druid uses the "Squatters Grove" spell. When created, the Druid makes a set of decisions mentioned below as to how the grove functions. By expending the use of a druid spell of the appropriate level, the druid gains the benefit of the ability selected for that level whilst in their grove. If they leave and reenter, the slot must be expended again. Alternatively they may 'lock' two spell slots of that level, denying them access to those slots while within the grove, but not expending either of them. Some grove abilities possess alignment tags([good],[evil],[law],[chaos]), To select these abilities the druid must be of the alignment, or the grove must be dedicated to a deity of that alignment. Druidic groves can only be dedicated to a single deity each, and this deity can be one that possesses two non-neutral alignments. Any spellcaster who worships the deity a grove is dedicated to(they do not need to gain spells from this deity, so arcane spellcasters can benefit as well) may choose to sacrifice but not lock spell slots in order to gain the benefits that match the dedicated deities alignments, while within the area(this is a specific exception to the "only functions for the creator" rule).

Druidic grove abilities are selected when the grove is first made, and only one ability per level may be selected. If the druid cannot cast spells of a specific level, they may omit the inclusion of an ability of that level and later add it, however to do so would require repeating the skillcheck on the same location, overlapping and thereby overriding the original area.

Abilities:
    Special Note: Orison/0-level abilities do not require the expenditure or locking of spell slots.
    Path of the Companion: Subtract the druid's level from the number of hours of the prayer ceremony to acquire an animal companion. To a minimum of 10 minutes
    Path of the Hunter: Subtract 1/3rd the druid's level from the number of hours the druid must rest before preparing spells. To a minimum of 2 hours.
    Path of the Curator: Subtract 3 minutes per druid level from the time it takes to prepare spells, to a minimum of 5 minutes.
    Path of the Cultivator: The area is full of life. All berries and nuts within the area are treated as being under the effect of the Goodberry spell or a similar effect. Pathfinder note: If using the "Druidic Herbalism" rule, this area additionally subtracts the druid's level from the number of hours required to make any given Herbal Concoction, to a minimum of 1 minute.

Air of the Watcher[Law]: Know the location, species, health, and mood of all plants and animals within 400ft + 40ft/character level. Additionally, all animals within the area are at least Indifferent to the character, unless attacked.
    Air of Security[Chaos]: Thorns, rocks, trees, etc magically block the passage of any creature that does not benefit from this ability. This effect trumps Freedom of Movement and the Druidic ability to ignore natural difficult terrain. As well as blocks [teleportation] magic of 3rd level or lower.
    Air of Healing[Good]: The character can speak to all animals he can see, and spells that heal hit point damage do so at +2 caster level(this increase of caster level is also added to the cap for the spell. So a Cure Light Wounds spell could heal at maximum 1d8+7 instead of 1d8+5).
    Air of Uneasiness[Evil]: Creatures not benefitting from this ability, take double damage from spells that deal negative energy damage(Such as Inflict, Harm, or any spell that imposes negative levels), as well as from Poisons and Disease.

Aspect of the Shaper: Character gains an untyped bonus to one ability score(chosen at the the time of the creation of the grove) equal to one quarter the character's level.
    [Good]
    [Evil]
    [Law]
    [Chaos]

[Good]
    [Evil]
    [Law]
    [Chaos]

[Good]
    [Evil]
    [Law]
    [Chaos]

[Good]
    [Evil]
    [Law]
    [Chaos]

[Good]
    [Evil]
    [Law]
    [Chaos]

[Good]
    [Evil]
    [Law]
    [Chaos]

[Good]
    [Evil]
    [Law]
    [Chaos]

[Good]
    [Evil]
    [Law]
    [Chaos]

Special: A druid can only make one druid grove, updating their own grove does not count as making a new grove. If a Druid's grove is destroyed, they cannot ever replace it. Additionally, When a druid that has a grove, dies, they cannot be brought back to life by any ability of a lower level than the highest level ability of the grove, unless done inside the grove. E.g. A druid with a 6th level grove cannot be reincarnated outside their grove, but can benefit from True Resurrection.
    Last edited by AtlasSniperman; 2018-05-21 at 06:07 PM.
    • I like blue souls.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

This is a really cool project, and one of the more interesting bits of homebrew I've ever seen. As for specifics, Hatchery mechanics based on number of eggs stored seem really abusable, and should probably be changed.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

27. - Top - End - #57

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    This is a really cool project, and one of the more interesting bits of homebrew I've ever seen.
    Thanks, that means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    As for specifics, Hatchery mechanics based on number of eggs stored seem really abusable, and should probably be changed.
    It does seem overly powerful, especially considering how egg sizes themselves aren't even consistent.
    Does the following change seem reasonable to you?
    Spoiler: Hatchery, Large
    Show
    Requirements: DC 20 Knowledge(architecture), DC 20 Spellcraft, An existing room at least 40ft by 50ft. (Convertable)
    Benefit: Functions as the small scale Hatchery except the following; The room(and the building if the room fills the entire building) are treated as having a Spell Resistance equal to 5+ the number of 5ft squares containing eggs. In addition; any creature that 'works' inside the room(typically tending and checking the progress of eggs) may choose to bar another specific creature or creatures from entry into the room while it is present. This barring is a Mind-Affecting effect with a Will DC to resist equal to half the number of 5ft squares containing eggs.
    Special: Only fertilized eggs effect the power of this effect.
    • I like blue souls.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

That's still pretty easy to make into a DC 40 will save, which can technically be done with as few as 160 eggs (without getting into really blatant technical readings that can make the number infinite). Still, it's far better.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

29. - Top - End - #59

RogueGuy

I'm interested in hearing how ho would suggest fixing/improving it. I probably wont include an update of it without hearing about how its gone in games. Though I do appreciate the feedback.
    • I like blue souls.

30. - Top - End - #60

RogueGuy

Squatters Grove
    druid 1
    Components: S
    Casting Time: 1 hour
    Range: 10ft
    Target: One Druidic Grove Feng Shui
    Duration: 1 day/level

If the Targettted Druidic Grove's highest level ability is not higher than the level of this spell, the Caster counts as the creator of the Druidic Grove for the purposes of all abilities. The Original creator of the Feng Shui still gains the effects of the Feng Shui.
    This spell does not allow the caster to benefit from abilities with an Alignment they do not possess(or from a deity they do not worship). i.e. it does not allow a Neutral Good Druid to access [Law],[Chaos], or [Evil] abilities of the Feng Shui.
    • I like blue souls.