New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press - Path of War Expanded! (Thread VII)

In addition to my previous unanswered questions...have another one from the first Path of War, what happens if you enter a prestige class through Martial Training? are you still limited to maneuver level of the highest feat? Or is it based on initiator level? Also, do prestige classes add half or full level to your initiator level for Martial Training?
    Last edited by amberlink; 2015-10-28 at 12:40 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Out of curiosity, what other disciplines do you have planned for PoW? I'm particularly interested in seeing more extraordinary ones and others that involve more unusual weapons.

Here's what I have thought of:
    A grappling discipline
    A flail-based discipline with a lot of combat maneuvers (think Ivy from soul calibur)
    A "drunken master"-esque style, maybe countering other martial initiators
    A mobile archery discipline based on trick shots
    A discipline dedicated to using only a single attack
    A discipline that is based around technological equipment and getting the most out of it.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thealtruistorc View Post
    Out of curiosity, what other disciplines do you have planned for PoW? I'm particularly interested in seeing more extraordinary ones and others that involve more unusual weapons.

Here's what I have thought of:
    A grappling discipline
    A flail-based discipline with a lot of combat maneuvers (think Ivy from soul calibur)
    A "drunken master"-esque style, maybe countering other martial initiators
    A mobile archery discipline based on trick shots
    A discipline dedicated to using only a single attack
    A discipline that is based around technological equipment and getting the most out of it.
    Grappling: Broken Blade already does this with quite a lot of stuff, and is likely the most suited for it.
    Combat Maneuvers: BB maneuvers now work with any weapon, unless the maneuver explicitly states otherwise.
    Mobile Archery+Trick Shots: This one is clearly tempest gale
    Single Attack: Look at Scarlet Throne's Rising Zenith line
    Tech Equipment: Wouldn't really feel like a martial discipline imho, but something more akin to Alchemist extracts?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

'We already have one from your list, Tempest Gale (check the playtest) is the trick shot focused discipline.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #185

I want to see minimal, if any, new martial disciplines in the future releases. Besides one or 2 concepts, it is easy to cover most things a player could want with the abundance of disciplines currently released or being released in PoW: E.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Halfling in the Playground

Broken Blade has like 3 maneuvers/stances that use/take advantage of grappling. Steel Serpent has a handful, too. It's not really a well-supported option in PoW (outside of the Fiendbound Marauder) and it's probably because grappling is kind of a cluster****.
    Spoiler: Stuff
    Show
    Temerith - (Brutal Stalker/Bushi) Stalker 7
    Karl von Ulmen - Zealot 6/Landsknecht 4
    Khron - Aegis (Host of Heroes) 4/Soulknife (Gifted Blade/Psychic Armory/War Soul) 4

Crystal Sentinel (PoW Aegis Archetype) - Work in Progress!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Tempest Gale question: Does Disarming Shot do damage? The short description says yes, but the long just says that you make a ranged disarm attempt, which wouldn't deal any damage
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ANSeranov View Post
    Broken Blade has like 3 maneuvers/stances that use/take advantage of grappling. Steel Serpent has a handful, too. It's not really a well-supported option in PoW (outside of the Fiendbound Marauder) and it's probably because grappling is kind of a cluster****.
    The best way to do a grappling discipline, if we were to do one, would honestly be to just ignore grappling itself and try to replicate its effects via maneuvers. The problem is that it then wouldn't synergize with anything that is actual grappling. But actual grappling is too much of a hassle to actually deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Tempest Gale question: Does Disarming Shot do damage? The short description says yes, but the long just says that you make a ranged disarm attempt, which wouldn't deal any damage
    Well, at this time it only disarms, no damage. I keep going back and forth on the issue though.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    The best way to do a grappling discipline, if we were to do one, would honestly be to just ignore grappling itself and try to replicate its effects via maneuvers. The problem is that it then wouldn't synergize with anything that is actual grappling. But actual grappling is too much of a hassle to actually deal with.
    Yeah, pretty much. My intention on my Fiendbound Marauder is to use maneuvers and then use the grab on the Fiend's Grip to tack a free grapple check on top of it, then release the grapple at the beginning of the next turn, use another maneuver and repeat. It'll mostly just help weaken my target on their own turn... probably. I'm still trying to wrap my head around grappling as a whole.
    Show
    Khron - Aegis (Host of Heroes) 4/Soulknife (Gifted Blade/Psychic Armory/War Soul) 4

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

It would be nice if Hunting Zephyr (in Tempest Gale) got a line explicitly forbidding it from working with the Vorpal special quality or similar effects, as otherwise combining them makes the strike a bit too good imo.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ICN View Post
    It would be nice if Hunting Zephyr (in Tempest Gale) got a line explicitly forbidding it from working with the Vorpal special quality or similar effects, as otherwise combining them makes the strike a bit too good imo.
    It'll be reworded in time for the full PDF.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

I noticed that there has been almost no feedback on the Martial Traditions to be included in Path of War: Expanded.

I decided to look into them and found that the lore and Oaths are all both cool and pretty reasonable.

The allegiance benefits though range from stuff like

Spoiler: some Allegiance benefits
    Show
    Cirque de la Fumée (Tempest Gale):In addition to access to the Tempest Gale discipline (exchanging a discipline of their choice), Harlequins of the Cirque de la Fumée do not provoke attacks of opportunity for making ranged attacks while threatened, provided the attack is made with a thrown weapon. Additionally, they benefit from a +2 insight bonus to Perform (Comedy), Sense Motive, and Sleight of Hand checks.

or
    Sultanate of Beggars: In addition to access to the Broken Blade discipline (exchanging a discipline of their choice), Sultans of the Sultanate of Beggars do not suffer the attack penalties associated with using improvised weaponry, may treat improvised weapons as monk weapons for the purposes of class features and feats that interact with monk weapons, and enjoy a +4 anarchic bonus to CMD against bull rush attempts and grapples.

A Sultan who breaks his oath (such as by permitting slavery) loses his bonus to CMD, but not the bonuses associated with improvised weapons, until such a time as he atones by meditating for seven days and nights on the nature of his crime, or else by donating 100 gp per level (or equivalent service) to the poor and destitute. He may also find himself targeted for an educational beating by his fellow Sultans.

Which are fun and mostly harmless in terms of player power.

to

Spoiler: some more allegiance benefits
    Show

Reverents of the Lance: In addition to access to the Piercing Thunder discipline (exchanging a discipline of their choice), Reverents of the Lance threaten adjacent creatures while using a weapon from the spear or polearm weapon groups that has reach. Furthermore, they are always aware of the exact position of any outsiders with the chaotic and/or evil subtypes within 60 ft. of themselves and may not be surprised by such beings (such outsiders still benefit from concealment, if they have it).

or

Cagebreakers: In addition to access to the Elemental Flux discipline (exchanging a discipline of their choice), Cagebreakers may channel part of Rumor’s unbridled chaotic spirit into a rebel yell. Once per encounter, as a swift action, the Cagebreaker lets out a wild cry; all allies (including the Cagebreaker) within sixty feet that can hear him gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls for a number of rounds equal to the Cagebreaker’s character level and may immediately roll new saving throws against any and all undesired mind-affecting spells or abilities affecting them (such as charm person or cause fear), provided the chosen abilities allow a saving throw.

Which are on par with some of the strongest feats available through Dreamscarred Press materials.

I know the allegiance benefits are optional, but I know the people at my table would prefer that each Tradition's allegiance benefit be roughly on par with one another. Supposing they were rewrote to all be similar power level would you prefer they all be buffed up to be powerhouses Cagebreaker or Reverent Lance level or would you prefer the benefits be focused on enhancing underused combat styles or fun/cool mechanics like Thrashing Dragon's allegiance benefit?

Pros and Cons as I see them of Traditions as I see them now

Pros:
    -Do not cost a trait or a feat
    -Give you a discipline that you want
    -Give you an allegiance benefit
    -Almost all the oaths are very easy to abide by (Hate and kill Demons? I was probably gonna do that anyway)
    -Give you something fun to roleplay and helps guide your character backstory

Cons:
    -If the DM chooses to he can use the organization to get you to do things
    -You have an oath
    -It may restrict some of your build options (Hard to be a Barbarian Black Thorn Knight)

In my eye, since the pros outweigh the cons and I don't believe players should have access to super feats for free at level one I would prefer to see allegiance benefits brought down in power level to be similar to the mentioned Traditions. I'd rather be able to tell players that this book is entirely legal instead of saying it's legal except for X, Y, and Z options.

13. - Top - End - #193

I absolutely adore the Steel Serpent order (Ordre des Repas Exotiques) for both its bonus (immunity to poison and disease from food/drink, +2 on all knowledge checks to identify creatures AND those checks can be made untrained) and the fact that the entire order is notorious because sentient creatures are terrified that its members will legit eat them. They'll cook them first!

Members also make for a fantastic party chef.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

I actually almost used the Steel Serpent Tradition as an example of a tradition with an appropriate allegiance bonus. I quite like them too :)

15. - Top - End - #195

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ANSeranov View Post
    Grappling is perfectly well supported, as you only need to get Greater Grapple and its prerequisites.

Once you use your initial standard action to grapple a creature (and succeed), afterwards you can use a move action to maintain your grapple (and move/harm/pin as normal), and then use a standard action and a swift to use maneuvers while grappling.

Even better, if you're in Steel Coils stance, you'll end up doing 4d6+strength damage as a move action, which means you can do it twice per turn and really put the hurt on the poor person in your grip.

In addition, a steelfist commando with Steel Grappler's Attitude, Gladiator Presence, and Grappler Gambit adds their charisma mod three times (untyped, morale, luck) to their CMB, and twice (untyped, morale) to their CMD.

At this point, I don't think a grappler discipline is really needed, as both Broken Blade and Steel Serpent support it quite well, and other disciplines may provide ancillary benefits through strikes and boosts.

Is there anything in particular you think the current disciplines are missing?
    Last edited by MilleniaAntares; 2015-10-27 at 07:29 PM.
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, I have some questions that are kind of all over the place, maybe you can help me:

1- when using the Iron Tortoise line of counters that let you make an attack roll to "block" an attack, such as Iron Shell or Defensive Shell, do you add the STR bonus to the roll, or is it just 1d20+shield bonus?

2- In the 2nd level Sleeping goddess boost Reactive Reversion there's this line "You may instead teleport back to the marked space as a free action, even if it is not your turn, any time during the next round". What does "instead" mean in this context?

3- Shouldn't the sleeping goddess style feats be psionic feats?

4- And now for a different thing altogether. Is this passed the point where playtest feedback would help? I'm currently playing a pathwalker 4 going for awakened blade, using mainly sleeping goddess maneuvers, and another one of the players has a monk 1/stalker 3 focused in shattered mirror. Would you like some feedback?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessNPC View Post
    Hey, I have some questions that are kind of all over the place, maybe you can help me:

1- when using the Iron Tortoise line of counters that let you make an attack roll to "block" an attack, such as Iron Shell or Defensive Shell, do you add the STR bonus to the roll, or is it just 1d20+shield bonus?
    Iron Shell specifically mentions making a Shield Bash plus shield AC, which means you may add your Strength (or Dex, if you have finesse and a light shield, IIRC, anyway) modifier to the check. Steel and Adamantine shell explicitly call for "an opposed attack roll using Base Attack Bonus plus shield bonus.", which indicates to me that you don't get your strength modifier. That said, I'd bring this up in the FAQ thread.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Does Shadow Pin (a 5th level Cursed Razor Counter) negate/suppress/dispel magical flying when it causes someone to fall?

Also, has there been any word on what's happening with the update of the Harbinger?

I apologize if these have been asked before.

19. - Top - End - #199

RedSorcererGirl

Harbinger has been released, so its doc will no longer be updated. Go buy it!
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

It's been released , but there is at least 1 change confirmed between the version available to purchase since April and the version coming out in PoW:E.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It's been released , but there is at least 1 change confirmed between the version available to purchase since April and the version coming out in PoW:E.
    What change is that?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

My guess is that it's something that every review I read had in common independently of eachother.

That one class feature that turns Harbingers into ranged characters around level 12.

23. - Top - End - #203

RedSorcererGirl

Tenebrous Reach?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, that's the one. Tenebrous Reach.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tekevil View Post
    Yeah, that's the one. Tenebrous Reach.
    Yup, that's the one. I don't think there are other big changes but I wouldn't be surprised if some maneuvers got tweaked.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Personally I'd just like to see Harbie get a little less bonuses to saves.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Firbolg in the Playground

Personally I'd just like to see Harbie get a little less bonuses to saves.
    Brosef their bonuses to saves are entirely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Meant DCs, my bad on that slip
    Last edited by tekevil; 2015-10-29 at 10:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Meant DCs, my bad on that slip
    Harbinger also needs to land an attack roll, be flanking, and be in one of it's weakest stances for all that to be true. The chance of missing the swing, or soaking a hit because you're up close and don't have Infinity Mirror Stance active, seems balanced with a 15-30% increase in your save DCs.

A wizard can drop SoD from a hundred feet away, while maintaining flight, greater invisibility, mirror image, or whatever combination of buffs they desire. They also usually have more options at their disposal than single target save spells. Crowd control spells, walls, summons, and so on. If a boss monster has high enough saves the Harbinger won't be doing well despite his DC boosts, where wizards can avoid targeting saves at all.

(I guess wizards do have spell resistance to deal with sometimes.)

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

There was also a proposed change to the Crimson Countess' 15th level Blood Pool, allowing them to turn into a mist instead of just gaining fast healing.
    If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it.

Homebrew
    [WIP] Scaled Tyrant - Path of War Dragon based discipline.

Campaigns I am in:
    We Be Best Goblins! as Ragnok the Titleless
    Land of the Endless Sky as Azrael (previously Nualia)