New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyside 4

1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 4

[Chimera Syndicate Trade Platform]

The Nebari will be allowed to watch that, and true to their word, the Infinite Descent engineers doing the scanning don't break it over the course of the scans and tests. They do, however, insist on making sure there are no recording devices on her, and they beeline straight for the lab inside. She won't see any more than a small section of lab where they're doing the scans, and some halls and lifts.

The rest is fiddly numbers stuff no one wants to think about too much.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera Syndicate Trade Platform

The material the suit's made of absorbs active scanning when it's deactivated, so most scans will be pointless. The base material the suit's made of is artificial spider silk, with plates of carbon fibre-reinforced kevlar to provide protection. The suit also has an active mode, which the Nebari will activate if asked- she describes it as a 'cuttlefish circuit', changing the colour and apparent texture of the suit to match its surroundings; it's good against a wall, in a darkened corner, but less good out in the middle of the room. That makes it harder to spot visually, but produces a slight electronic charge across the suit's surface that can be picked up. Or one could simply copy Artemis Fowl's tactic when he looked for a stealthed shuttle- he scanned the atmosphere, and found the shuttle by detecting the void of its presence; that works when it's active or deactivated.

I was expecting less labwork, more "OK, go down that corridor and yell when you reach the end. We'll see if we can find you."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Fluffy Room

Sam raises an eyebrow.
    "So I have to be fat to include all that stuff? I guess that would make it worth it...
    The body? If my original dna is on record and I can just get a straight copy of it whenever I'd need, I don't think there's any use for it. Yeah, I think I should look at the other bodies though. I think this one might be too big."
    he says hesitantly.
    Fluffy Room

"In one of the prototypes, yes. But I should clarify, the 'copy' isn't dead or mindless. The process doesn't actually transfer your consciousness anywhere, it simply copies it. As a part of this experiment, I'm going to take care of the other you." Jinn explains as he seem to observe the boy closely as if looking for something in his expression. "I hope that's alright with you Sam?"

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam's expression darkens. For a moment his mind reels, and he reins himself in only with the reminder to stay on the problem at hand.
    "You misled me. If that's the case there's no point in looking at the other models, is there? I'll still be me, like this. Yes, you can take care of him. Better that than killing him."
    He figures Jinn means Take Care and not "Take Care" but maybe it's better if he just doesn't ask.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2015-11-08 at 04:40 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #125

Fluffy Room

"I could argue with you about the definition of misleading but I have been open with you. Would you really not have gone through all this if I had told you this would happen? I didn't think it would matter to be honest." Jinn replies. "In either case, with your consent I will make sure the other Sam is comfortable." Whatever that means. "Now, you are not interested in the other models then? Perhaps you like me to simply modify your current body in some way instead."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam crosses his arms, hesitantly doing the same for his lower pair when he remembers they exist.
    "Fine, you have my consent. I'll look at the other models if they're going to be me. If all it's going to do is make a copy of me in a better body, that doesn't actually help me. If you can modify this one to the other models, I'll be glad to check them out." he decides.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

[Chimera Syndicate Trade Platform]

There'll probably be a bit of that too. The Chimera engineers will note the lack of an off switch though, and ferry all information gained back up. That sort of thing. Boring, really.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Fluffy Room

Sam crosses his arms, hesitantly doing the same for his lower pair when he remembers they exist.
    "Fine, you have my consent. I'll look at the other models if they're going to be me. If all it's going to do is make a copy of me in a better body, that doesn't actually help me. If you can modify this one to the other models, I'll be glad to check them out." he decides.
    Fluffy Room

"Excellent. We're of a similar mind-set then." Jinn let's his bandaged fingers run-across his wrist computer. "So I believe you wanted thinner? I have a model that makes you really tall instead but it might make it difficult to enter some buildings. There is different gender model. It is true that gender is perceived through your sexual characteristics yes? I'm using the standard body-type for instance which you view as male as it lacks, ah, what's the term? Jugs?" Jinn wiggles his fingers at Sam and then shrugs. "Either way, it's modified to a more, eh, female body-type. Quite interesting. Gender and sex are fascinating, yes?" The ethereal then looks back at it's computer and seems to scroll past something. "Anything that interests you so far? There are some non-humanoid models here too..."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2015-11-12 at 07:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam shakes his head.
    "I think I'm already tall enough that I'm going to have trouble with doorways. I don't think I want to be any taller. And I guess if the improvements really need the space, I don't mind it too much. I mean, I'm interested in seeing how you would imagine me as a girl, but I hope you understand how genetics and organs between our genders work. Just giving a guy breasts and a thinner waist isn't going to make him female; he'd still have all the male organs and genes and stuff.
    But anyway, is there any way I can see these instead of just hearing descriptions? Otherwise, I'd like to be at least at a size so I don't have to worry about fitting into places, or having to worry about portions for sustenance, though it sounds like you did mess with my metabolism. This body isn't too bad about the first one, but it's close. The arms are okay I guess, and you were right that I wanted to be more or less unrecognizable from my old self. I need to keep my hands, though. So if any of your non-humanoids don't have those, you can disregard them.
    Oh, and does this project come with any pay besides the body? Because I think no matter what I'm going to need to buy all new clothes for whatever I choose. And if I'm nearly the same size just the shoes are going to be a nightmare. Cobblers love jacking up prices when they know we can't go elsewhere. And four-armed shirts are a bit less common..."
    he says, starting to mutter to himself by the end.

10. - Top - End - #130

Fluffy Room

"Thinner waist?" Jinn writes something on their wrist computer. "As for... payment. I can create clothes here the same way I can create bodies. It's simply a matter of converting energy into the desired material. Hypothetically I could create your currency too but... actually, I will let you decide. It's not like this city holds the laws in high regard in the first place." Jinn shrugs and then presses some more buttons and the holographic image of what Sam looks now appear floating just above the floor near the ethereal. "How do you feel about the ability of flight? It's not really optimized with the humanoid body shape but I could give you some boosts. I just imagine that wings would be something that would be extremely valuable in a city like this."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam looks at Jinn in shock.
    "Uh, wings? While looking like this? I don't think it'd be remotely possibly with how much I must weigh now. It'd be too awkward even if you could make me ignore gravity. Wings and body shapes like this don't get along as far as I can tell." he says.

12. - Top - End - #132

Fluffy Room

"Not literal wings, I was speaking metaphorically of course. Though frankly I'm not sure it is possible. I have some specs for reptilian and ah, mammals though." The ethereal pauses. "There are a lot of them so perhaps you could give me a direction to go for? Since you're so far pleased with the results I don't want to change too much but there might be potential untapped here. More arms, more muscles..." Jinn continues scrolling through the screen of their wrist computer. "Say, you do assign this body-type male characteristics, correct? I just need to make sure." Jinn seems to be referring to their own body.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam shrugs, an odd movement with his extra arms.
    "Well, I don't think I want any more arms. Four is fine with me. Well, I haven't gotten used to them yet, but I think four will be fine with me.
    And I think that I could probably use being a little bit shorter. Maybe just a foot or so? It would make fitting into normal doorways and rooms easier. I also wouldn't mind if my face was even more different, just to make sure that no one ever recognizes me. Just an idea, though. I don't know, could you mess with my feet so it's easier for me to walk on them without getting sore? I don't know how that works, being as big as you made this frame. I don't mind if you wanted to optimize my legs or something, since I'll probably end up with a physical job like this.

And uh, yeah, I'd say you look more like a guy than a lady."
    he says.

14. - Top - End - #134

Fluffy Room

"I see." Jinn taps some more buttons. "Should be easy enough. I have one more question however before I go through with the changes, how do you decide on gender? I've heard that, er, biologicals, have a certain feeling of right and wrong when it comes to gender... or sex? I'm not clear on the difference. You feel like male, correct?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam nods.
    "For a lot of people, they identify as what they're born as. I'm like that way. Some people aren't, and it's hard to explain if you don't even know much about being...biological. But for these purposes, yes, I'm a male."

16. - Top - End - #136

[Arkants company]

After the representativ of Vigil have left, Arkant stands at the window of a meeting room, watching them leave.
    "Keep an eye on them. I want to know when they are in Skyside and what they do." he says.
    In the same room stands the messenger who was send to Vigil and the bodygueard of Arkant.
    "Senior, what do you think they do?" he asks.
    "I assume they sell themself to another party in Skyside. Non of the parties here can be called 'good' after all. We need to be save."
    The mexican man nods and turns off.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

17. - Top - End - #137

Fluffy Room

"You do seem like extremely complex yet very simple beings." Jinn replies. "In any case, I will need to keep you asleep wile I make these adjustments so just lay back in that chair and we'll get this started." The ethereal gestures towards the chair.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam sighs and goes back to the chair for whatever Jinn has in store for him.

19. - Top - End - #139

Fluffy Room

As Sam beings to fall asleep he can hear Jinn talking to theirself. "Four arms, shorter, different feet, different face... humanoid form..."

He then falls into a deep slumber.

-----------------------------------------

As he wakes up he's still in the fluffy room with Jinn standing nearby tapping the buttons of their wrist computer. "Let's see. I changed your face a bit, added two legs, made your design a bit sleeker, shortened you down a bit... I'm not sure how you feel about a slightly more spider-like body so I added some other elements." They gesture at the mirror. "But judge yourself."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam's eyes snap open.
    "You did what?" he nearly shouts, clambering over to the mirror. Hopefully without tripping over himself.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Skyside 4

[Tempest Row]

Something big is happening at one of the busier, central streets of the district. A large banner is flying over one of the buildings, proclaiming:

MERCENARY ESPIONAGE AND RECONEISSANCE CORPORATION
    Morality is relative - professional standards aren't
    In front of the building, a certain goblin is sitting in a podium, surrounded by a bit of a crowd. There are spectators, but more importantly, mercenaries. A crew of them, in a few different groups. One is a gathering of very varied humans, orks, trolls, dwarves and elves, packing different weapons and gear. Then there are gnolls, skaven, trolls of a different sort, and a small, tight group of engineers. They're interspersed with some more typical bodyguards and private security contractors in body armour and with guns.

Around the mercenaries are stationed golems. The sleek, metal frames gleam in the sun and the machines hum quietly.

Then, on the edges of the mercenary grouping, there's a few monsters. One is a manticore, sitting lazily behind Dipsnig. There's also a pack of feathered raptors, wandering around and watching everyone. Finally, they seem to have rounded up what looks like enormous canines with rocky outcroppings on their backs.

"You heard right, citizens of Skyside," Dipsnig announces through a loudspeaker from his podium. "The Corporation is finally here to bring Skyside protection, security and problem-solving of the highest quality. We're here to stay, and you all stand to benefit from our presence."

"With the mercenaries, creatures and equipment assembled here, we'll soon begin bringing our services to the entire city. All it takes is the right price, and we're more than willing to negotiate. Rich or poor - we can make a deal."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Tempest Row

Somebody is watching Dipsnig's announcement, as parked to one side, but where any occupants have a good view, is a black van. The front cab has been completely boarded off from the back, and the windscreen is much reduced to limit the amount of light entering the vehicle. Leaning nonchalantly against the vehicle's side is a man dressed in rather drab street clothes, carrying a camcorder connected to a cable leading into the van. Also present is an excessively large half-ogre with a massive spiked club resting on his shoulder. He's a little distracted, holding up a nearby hot-dog seller though fortunately not literally. Each hot dog made is put into the half-ogre's beefy hand and devoured whole, and it seems unlikely the half-ogre intends to pay. Dipsnig may recognise the half-ogre, or indeed the van. The Night Queen wishes to ensure that she knows what's going on.

23. - Top - End - #143

Fluffy Room

"See for yourself." Jinn states with a gesture at the mirror. And as LDK already have described Sam, I'm just gonna let him do that again if he wants to.
    "I don't think it's so bad honestly. I made sure it had masculine features of course."

[Tempest Row]

Dena has decided to wear her full adventuring gear and her cloak which is pulled over her head. All in black for the occasion, looked more intimidating. She stands near Dipsnig in the bag, tugging at the hood. She snakes underneath didn't like being stuffed so tightly underneath the clothing. She probably would need to make it a bit larger to accommodate her "condition".
    As the goblin is done talking she slowly approaches him. "So what now? I'm itching for something to do."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2015-12-04 at 06:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam's tails lash angrily, which only makes him more angry, though he does breathe a sigh of relief that he doesn't actually have any more legs. Maybe it was a joke, or Jinn was getting terms wrong.
    "I...what's spidery about this? Why would you even think about spiders? Or that I needed fewer fingers?" he says, flexing his new, new hands. He will admit that going from thirty to twelve extremities is a lot easier to manage.
    But then he shakes his head, pinching is nose with his fingers.
    "I don't think I even care. I want off Mr. Jinn's Wild Ride, before I ask for normal stuff and wind up as a hutt. I'll take the money and clothes you offered, Jinn, but I want out now." he says, quietly.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

[Tempest Row]

The Night Queen would have been informed MERC would do something big. She wouldn't get all the details, for security purposes, but she's know.

"It probably won't be long before someone makes a move against us," Dipsnig tells Dena. "When it happens, we'll need to be ready. We should also check in with the allies I've made here."

[Arkant's Factory]

Wenomir arrives there. He needs to speak to Arkant about the help Vigil needs.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-12-05 at 10:55 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

26. - Top - End - #146

[Arkant's Factory]

Wenomir will be lead in front of the Office where he can sit down on a seat and wait. There is business going on Arkant has to take care of. After around half an hour two people he saw befor leave. they appear even madder then last time and doesn't seem to notice the Vigil man.
    "That's it." one says. "He will regret it." The other one replies as they leave.
    The Wenomir can go inside.
    "Ah Hello Mr. Wenomir was it?" Arkant says. "How can I help you?"

[Tempest Row]

Arkant is here as well. As he listens he uses his power to manipulate some people in the crowed.

"Poor and rich? How should the poor pay you?"
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Tempest Row

She may be know MERC had something planned, but she'd still like to see it, and where she goes, so goes her half-ogre bodyguard. A few more members of her organisation are hiding amongst the crowd, but they're quite well trained in blending in and subterfuge, and they're also all dressed as relatively affluent businessmen, in suits with briefcases, but not so important to have hired muscle.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

[Arkant's Factory]

"We do need your help, mister Arkant," Wenomir says. "We have a plan for our new base. But it involves moving a flying island from the Hunting Grounds. It'll need a lot of power, if it's even possible."

[Tempest Row]

"We're open to collective bargaining from whole communities," Dipsnig says. "As well as non-monetary forms of compensation. We'll do our best to negotiate an individually-tailored price with anyone who comes to seek our services."
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-12-05 at 06:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

[Tempest Row]

"What do we do with those slavers Bo were investigating?" Dena asks Dipsnig. "I could check them out if you want me to."

Fluffy Room

"Oh, I'm genuinely sorry that you feel that way Sam. But of course. Let me just create a sum of money... illegally of course. If that means anything here." Jinn replies casually as clothes that should fit him (of whatever style his player wants), appear nearby. "How much money did you want? I should advise against too large sums. Would attract unwanted attention. If you do want to see me again by the way, I have a number you could call."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluffy Room

Sam thinks Jinn might not be lying, but his readiness to do things like make copies of people and doom his poor original self to remain a cripple doesn't lend itself to seeming very empathetic.
    "I want enough for a small home, furnishings for it, and enough for a nice phone and food for a few weeks while I look for a job. Unless you have an apartment you can give me. I can't go back to squatting in buildings.
    Oh and uh, give me a printout of whatever you put in me. I should probably know the capabilities."
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2015-12-06 at 11:55 AM.