New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power V: The Final Yawntier

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Only scintillian metal will pierce your shield - or, you know, a shotgun.
    Wasnt this recording left thousands of years ago and based off of no knowledge of this new federation that rose from the ashes and whatever advances it created? Its entirely possible that back then scintillion metal was the strongest counter to SP shields and such, and now tech has advanced enough that this isnt the case. Also, speaking of shotguns, danica is in pretty good shape for someone shot by a super space shotgun at near point blank range. No missing limbs, no basketball sized holes in her torso, not even a noticeable bruise! So I would say her SP does a decent job holding up against it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    So either there are plenty of Quantum Wells out there for Danica to find or the Void Angels have been depleting them along with any Star powered Sentinels...

Did they ever explain how they were able to identify who was being selected as a SPS?

It still feels odd they were able to track them down and eliminate everyone until Danica came along... I know its plot armour but I can't help wondering if we might be meeting an evil sps someone considered a loyalist but remained hidden until reactivated so given the Countess is jailed and they're seeking a Scintillian advisor what are the odds they break her out and she uses them to rebuild her empire that is if she can get over her psychosis's...
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2016-09-16 at 04:27 AM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll be honest, I didn't really understand what the text in this page means.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I'll be honest, I didn't really understand what the text in this page means.
    (1) Danica gained Junior League SPS power when Mitch connected with her. Likely all "Mitch-style" SPS Entities only grant Junior League SPS abilities and were used to recruit new SPS in areas where SPS weren't available.

(2) Dunking people in Quasar Wells turns them into SPS. Junior League SPS get upgraded into LV 1 SPS when dunked in a Quasar Well.

(3) This Quasar Well is total crap because it was made in a cave with a box of scraps.

(4) Full SPS abilities are unlocked only when SPS are hooked into the SPS Network or [Plot Device to be Named Later]

The upshot is that Danica is getting an upgrade but Mookie is playing down how powerful she is going to be because we haven't yet seen how someone with Danica's... let's say "variable" ... power levels could pacify whole planets as the SPS are supposed to be able to.

In short : Danica is well short of Green Lantern, but will slowly be upgraded to the point that the SPS could pinch-hit for the Green Lantern Corps.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

5. - Top - End - #545

What im mainly getting from this is, danica is grotesquely weaker than a real SPS and yet has still roflstomped entire races of bad guys single handed. And now she is going to get powered up. Though I think there will be a problem here seeing as there are no other sps to link with to unlock her full power. So she is getting an upgrade most likely, but wont be god just yet. Or maybe she will. After all, this well is supposed to simulate the star power so I dunno.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

All this long story, basically for nothing.

She started as a relatively-weak star powered compared to the others, and that's what she remains at the end of this arc with maybe a few adjustments.

The "hero loses his powers and now needs to regain them" is a common trope, but like every trope, it's used without understanding WHY it exists.
    In every story that uses it, there is one common element: There is an actual need for the power to be restored, whether the hero sacrificed his powers in the last fight to defeat an uber-enemy and now there is a new threat and he is powerless to do anything, or the hero was nearly defeated by a new enemy and now regain his power before that enemy takes over the world.

In this story, there was nothing. No urgency, no need for the power-up, and not even a threat in the horizon that justifies this quest beyond curiosity.
    And as usual, a fix for that could have been so easy: It's obvious that in the next arc there is going to be an enemy. Maybe the snake lady will escape and maybe it will be just a group of raiders that attacks the station. Regardless of what the threat will be, all they had to do was to reverse the order, present the threat and THEN make Danica hunt for the source of her powers to recharge.

Imagine how much better all these tests could have been.
    The test of Diplomacy could have been an actual test since Danica doesn't have time to waste, every time someone would tell her that she needs to spent a couple of days to get authorizations to investigate a ruin it would grind her patience.
    And then, when she reached the last place, she would get a transmission that the station is under attack NOW, and she would have been so pissed at the robot that it would have been an actual test of compassion to resist the urge to just fight will full power and get the last key to recharge.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This would make things more annoying, from a reader standpoint, wouldn't it?

Star Powered Sentinels were being hunted down and killed. Then, despite being able to take down howevermany other SPS', Danica and her amateur hour are enough to utterly wreck these forces that had otherwise been good at bringing down an SPS. Or at least that's what we were told.

Now we're being told that, on top of the above, Danica is supposed to be one of the weakest SPS' ever created. Which makes her earlier victories that much more annoying.

Or is this just me?

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

I know that my first reaction was "wait, that was the WEAK power?!"

At least until now, there wan't any legitimate threat to Danica, and that includes a group that was specialized in killing her.

9. - Top - End - #549

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    This would make things more annoying, from a reader standpoint, wouldn't it?

Star Powered Sentinels were being hunted down and killed. Then, despite being able to take down howevermany other SPS', Danica and her amateur hour are enough to utterly wreck these forces that had otherwise been good at bringing down an SPS. Or at least that's what we were told.

Now we're being told that, on top of the above, Danica is supposed to be one of the weakest SPS' ever created. Which makes her earlier victories that much more annoying.

Or is this just me?
    I would imagine all the sps made and killed were like danica, running on minimal power. What annoys me is, she is already at the armada slaughtering stage of power, so how obnoxiously powerful would she become had everything worked out the way this recording planned? Superman sneezing and destroying solar systems powerful? Punching too hard and destroying reality powerful?

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/6445928.html#comments
    Well, I think I might rethink myself on reading comments after this post. And definitely not sarcasm as I read.
    Consider that I unleash my rant on Tau....Inhumans after reading in the comments.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

This has been a recorded message.

So if you have any hopes of understanding anything, forget about it.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Are those expressions in the final panel meant to mean something? Kind of a weird panel.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

13. - Top - End - #553

I admit, I was totally expecting to see the usual "Ok, stop recording" followed by them saying something terrible or funny or whatever afterwards not realizing the camera is still rolling followed by frenzied cursing as they realize it and rush to shut it down.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Are those expressions in the final panel meant to mean something? Kind of a weird panel.
    It took me a moment to realize it's probably genuine surprise at their inability to properly cut a recording. I sure hope it's not meant to be a surprise that this was recorded... but I'm willing to believe the former.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Psychology

Nothing to write that wasn't already written before.
    How many times do we need to see the countess saying how EVIL the world is in parallel to events that prove otherwise?
    Yes, we get it, she is evil, can we move on to when she escapes or at least shuts up for a while?

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Psychology 2

If only we had someone who can just shout "See the truth!" instead of wasting pages saying the same things over and over again.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Psychology 2

If only we had someone who can just shout "See the truth!" instead of wasting pages saying the same things over and over again.
    Eh, I'll be honest, I don't hate the last couple of pages. It's not soul-shaking literature, but it's more engaging than Random Space Battles (I know, I know, don't trip over that bar), and I don't mind the way Mookie's set up this dynamic here. He's got a lot of room to ruin it, but I don't feel like he's ruined it yet.

Basically, I don't mind the concept of "psychologist working with captured bad guy" as a frame for trying to discuss the ideals of the Snaketongue Empire, and it's better than just random monologues for no apparent reason. The frame at least gives us a reason for the bad guy to be expounding upon their beliefs and their motivations, which is honestly kind of a welcome change. (Those beliefs don't make a hell of a lot of sense, of course, but I appreciate that he's trying to show some kind of motivation for the Evil Empire, and I appreciate that he's not resorting to a random soliloquy where the Countess talks to hear herself talk or to some kind of goofy "before I kill you, Mr. Bond, I want you to know . . ." setup.) I even kind of like that the psychologist guy is mostly (not entirely) trying more to gain information from the Countess than trying to actively convert her to the side of Good, which means that we haven't reached See The Truth levels of preachiness. (There's still some preachiness, no argument, but nowhere near the level of preachiness we saw in Dominic/Celesto interactions, you know?)

This iteration of it is far from perfect, of course—this is still Mookie we're talking about, so he's no less ham-fisted about his juxtapositions than he's ever been, and Countess Snaketongue is still mostly evil for the sake of being evil, even if she does at least have a reason to be talking about it. But the last few pages haven't really bothered me that much.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #558

There sure is an advantage: the more the pages, the more distant will the issue where the Countess was defeated be, which means that one time in which a promising Darth Vader was defeated by a rookie something we now know wasn't even at full power.
    In other words, the more time passes, the less awkward will her comeback be. Unless Mookie wants her to be our friend.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #559

Im getting an eventual "Gee mister psychologist man, I sure have learned my lesson, let me go?" followed by a no duh betrayal. Also, I have to admit, im a little bit more curious about where the federation came from. I mean, I suppose technically they can claim they formed out of a friends with everyone vibe, but a large number of the disparate planets had pretty violent histories that their current utopia rose out of. Which makes his stance iffy at best.

Also, seriously dude? You are trying to convert the woman who murdered her own mother for daring to retreat when the war was clearly lost, and wiped out her own species because they werent willing to shoot people in the back and die in the process for her cause. She is NOT going to be "redeemed"

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im getting an eventual "Gee mister psychologist man, I sure have learned my lesson, let me go?" followed by a no duh betrayal. Also, I have to admit, im a little bit more curious about where the federation came from. I mean, I suppose technically they can claim they formed out of a friends with everyone vibe, but a large number of the disparate planets had pretty violent histories that their current utopia rose out of. Which makes his stance iffy at best.

Also, seriously dude? You are trying to convert the woman who murdered her own mother for daring to retreat when the war was clearly lost, and wiped out her own species because they werent willing to shoot people in the back and die in the process for her cause. She is NOT going to be "redeemed"
    I assumed she wasn't candid during this conversation but trying to run a psy-op of her own against her captors' culture.

21. - Top - End - #561

I was hoping she would corrupt the psychologist, I guess that's off the table now.

22. - Top - End - #562

I honestly get a slightly creepy vibe from the psychologist too. I just cant be sure where this is going to go from here. Also, are they just going to leave her there in a tube she already showed she can crack?

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

I honestly get a slightly creepy vibe from the psychologist too. I just cant be sure where this is going to go from here. Also, are they just going to leave her there in a tube she already showed she can crack?
    They already showed that the basic security force can disable her without much effort, but yes, I would change her cell to something a bit more solid after that...

Oh, and I think she is pretty stupid to expose how strong she is right in front of someone instead of using it to plan an escape.
    So now, the only way she can escape is if everyone is dumb enough to ignore her ability to break the glass AND suddenly lose the power to stun her.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

They already showed that the basic security force can disable her without much effort, but yes, I would change her cell to something a bit more solid after that...

Oh, and I think she is pretty stupid to expose how strong she is right in front of someone instead of using it to plan an escape.
    So now, the only way she can escape is if everyone is dumb enough to ignore her ability to break the glass AND suddenly lose the power to stun her.
    She might escape. So what? She lost her robot army and her mercenary army already. Strangling or beating to death a few orderlies in her mental hospital won't change much in the bigger scheme of things.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    She might escape. So what? She lost her robot army and her mercenary army already. Strangling or beating to death a few orderlies in her mental hospital won't change much in the bigger scheme of things.
    If she does escape, you can bet that she has a planet with a stash of robots and weapons, she will also have only a single thought in her reptilian brain: "Revenge!"

As stupid as it sounds, I really hope she does escape, I'm getting tired of her being in the cell just to emphasize how cool and awesome Danica is.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

If she does escape, you can bet that she has a planet with a stash of robots and weapons, she will also have only a single thought in her reptilian brain: "Revenge!"

As stupid as it sounds, I really hope she does escape, I'm getting tired of her being in the cell just to emphasize how cool and awesome Danica is.
    I'd prefer if she just had the blueprints to make new SPS and find a powerful EVIL ally to create them with. If she had more firepower before she should've used them during her last confrontation.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Up to this point she assumed she was naturally superior to the successors to the last empire she tried to topple.

Danica on the other hand was that powerful until her sps was almost killed as a result of stopping the Countess.
    Revived by the weakest Quantum well is why they consider her the weakest sps not because she is weak but that's their viewpoint remember the people who recorded that message are long dead so if there were any survivors wouldn't they be the first being the Countess eliminated when she returned?

The penny should drop for the Countess and she will use her captors eagerness to recover lost technology that whilst they're discovering what she knows she uses the inherent greed to arrange for her "rescue" most likely by the leader of the Void Angels.

She uses them to gain access to the means to create her own sps so she can match Danica quite probably use unwary recruits to test her new design before she turns the tables on them and escapes.

If she gets them to go after Danica in the process all the better!

So she should be searching for the other Quantum Wells or better yet ask for access to the broken sps dials and use Mitch to try and delve into them to see if he can find information they have that he doesn't?

28. - Top - End - #568
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Long time lurker here, thought I'd pop out to give my insight onto this psychologist character.

Several years ago, back when he was doing DD, I went to one of his convention panels at a con, I think in Denver, about writing memorable villains and heroes. During this panel, he brought up a book he had read before his webcomic-ing days that had obviously left a huge impression on him. I can't remember the book's name, but he described it as a sci-fi book about an extremely clever psychologist who basically went into the throne room of an evil galactic emperor and apparently spent the whole story calmly and successfully talking said evil galactic emperor into defeating himself. Mookie was, to say the least, enthusiastic about this book. In fact, he almost had a fan-gasm right up there on the stage. He was extremely impressed on how the book had this extremely smart and calm man defeat this powerful evil dictator by manipulating him with words, not with armies and violence.

At the time, I thought that this really explained a lot about Dominic Deegan. What he really wanted was to emulate this character, to create a hero who fought and defeated enemies with his wit and cunning, not his physical prowess. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as well when you start manipulating allies as well as enemies, and most of the time, it just ended up being a violent battle anyways, just in mindscapes or with magic.

When this character showed up in this webcomic, I had a sinking feeling that we've gone from emulating his favorite character to basically trying outright clone him. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Mookie is playing the Psychologist straight, that he is going to somehow verbally manipulate the empress into either redemption, or defeating herself. My bet is on the latter, as Mookie never really has been one to tinker with villains redeeming themselves.

Of course, now we have a little break before we see where this ends up going. I see they're taking four weeks off this time.
    Last edited by Raquiz; 2016-09-28 at 04:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

This update is pure Mookie. Everyone loves and admires the main character! Any differences or friction between the main character and someone else were that someone else's fault! The main character in put in a position to show how much more gracious they are than the character with whom they had friction! Guh.

I mean, approaching this from a realistic perspective, it's better to set aside little differences and to try to respect folks like adult humans (let's not kid ourselves, everyone in this comic is human) rather than letting minor scuffles turn into gigantic grudges. That's what real people should aim to do whenever possible, you know? But from a literary perspective, this is an inartful way of showing it, both because it destroys the potential tension between Space-Dominic and Space-Celesto and because Danica never ended up apologizing or admitting any fault for her role in this dynamic. That last one is the really key part that makes me roll my eyes at it. If Danica actually apologized, or admitted that she isn't perfect, or even was the one to initiate this sort of reconciliation (she went to visit Beena, but Beena then started apologizing first), then this would have been a bit easier to take.

Building off of that "admitting she isn't perfect" note, it's almost weird to see Danica be thrust into the role of Perfect Mookie Main Character, because unlike Dominic, I don't even feel like Danica thinks that she's perfect. She doesn't have the same smugness or self-righteousness that Dominic and the other members of the First Caste had. (She's by no means an interesting or complex character, mind you, but I think you see what I'm getting at here.) Despite that, though, Mookie seems anxious to ward off any sort of shadow falling on his precious child, so we get scenes like this one. It's a little jarring. It's differently jarring from when Dominic would do some seriously ethically problematic things and then get praised as a paragon of righteousness, but I think that both of them spring from the same source.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

30. - Top - End - #570

Oh god, I can see it too. She breaks out and brings the doc with her, because she wants to prove to him that she is right. And the entire time he is basically showing her how she is actually wrong until she can no longer pretend otherwise. If he really wants to ruin everything forever, at the end, the doc says something like, "Its actually surprising how effectively I was proven right. Its almost as if a higher power was guiding events as they occurred to lead directly to this point." Then he does the deadpan 4th wall look like in DD.