New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power V: The Final Yawntier

Another update

Every update, I find it harder to write an actual comment.
    What is there to say here?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't know, but the last panel has unexpectedly good art. Pity for the script; we are in obvious territory. And now, we get ready for the "big reveal".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

After she explains how horribly nasty the people on the other side of the 8th wormhole invasion or whatever its called were, psychologist lad there should say, "Ok, now what about 1-7?" Basically pointing out that one bad sample out of a large collection doesnt invalidate the entire concept.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

I need to go back and do some re-reading. In all the riveting sightseeing I've legitimately forgotten what this treasure hunt is for.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatsu View Post
    I need to go back and do some re-reading. In all the riveting sightseeing I've legitimately forgotten what this treasure hunt is for.
    A quest to discover the source of the power that restored her mana during her Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny with BHB.

As far as I can tell, this quest is actually about reassembling the Triforce of Wisdom.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    A quest to discover the source of the power that restored her mana during her Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny with BHB.

As far as I can tell, this quest is actually about reassembling the Triforce of Wisdom.
    Oh right. They've already detected that the Sentinel is hiding from them, though? Or is that a different Sentinel? Because the King on Hydrolax appeared to be a Sentinel as well.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatsu View Post
    Oh right. They've already detected that the Sentinel is hiding from them, though? Or is that a different Sentinel? Because the King on Hydrolax appeared to be a Sentinel as well.
    So far all they've found are keys.

The first key was in the first vault, guarded by golems.

The second key was held by His Magesty who is not a SPS -- or, as you said, their mission would be over. It's not clear if there was a "second vault" unless that was His Magesty.

The third key is in the third vault on the Planet of Fanboys. I'm not sure why a riddle was triggered after they took the key, but there it is

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

The second key was held by His Magesty who is not a SPS -- or, as you said, their mission would be over. It's not clear if there was a "second vault" unless that was His Magesty.

The third key is in the third vault on the Planet of Fanboys. I'm not sure why a riddle was triggered after they took the key, but there it is
    It's only a puzzle if you don't understand what it's trying to tell you; that could be a map of where all the SPS are located in the galaxy, or basically anything else that would make sense to be revealed only after you found the vault (disregarding how lame the protection is of course).

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

.....Desert planet, ocean planet/beach planet, forest planet......

a planet of graveyards and we will have the plot for Knights of the Old Republic. if this all leads to a Star-Forge that manufactures armies, I will say that I called it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    .....Desert planet, ocean planet/beach planet, forest planet......

a planet of graveyards and we will have the plot for Knights of the Old Republic. if this all leads to a Star-Forge that manufactures armies, I will say that I called it.
    Thats a sure thing, we already know lady snake tongue has a robot army. Of course there will be a planet sized military construction factory. And equally of course we will get there sooner or later after she inevitably escapes.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, we've got an update or something.

More pointless friction between Danica and Beena that's caused by, I dunno, the fact that communication isn't a thing that can happen. More Beena trying to force relevance upon herself. And a "punchline" that's basically "lawl Beena is free-spirited."

I feel like this page is fairly emblematic of how Star Power is written. Not a single element of it feels natural. It's not just checkbox writing—it's checkbox writing that attempts to check boxes by pasting in prewritten elements that may or may not be appropriate or relevant to the story at hand. Am I being too harsh? I just really don't feel like a single part of this page actually fits elegantly with anything else.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post

More pointless friction between Danica and Beena that's caused by, I dunno, the fact that communication isn't a thing that can happen. More Beena trying to force relevance upon herself. And a "punchline" that's basically "lawl Beena is free-spirited."
    I think it's less to show her character and more to place her in the well set group that was defined before.
    Because that's totally how world building works.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post

I feel like this page is fairly emblematic of how Star Power is written. Not a single element of it feels natural. It's not just checkbox writing—it's checkbox writing that attempts to check boxes by pasting in prewritten elements that may or may not be appropriate or relevant to the story at hand. Am I being too harsh? I just really don't feel like a single part of this page actually fits elegantly with anything else.
    Speaking as one who didn't follow this for a very long time, this page didn't seem so bad. At least by the nominal standards of Dominic Deegan.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think any part of it especially bad, no. I think it's just it's actually less than the sum of its parts, due to presentation. It's rare to see something like that, where I do actually think each element is...adequate and makes sense in the overall world but is undermined by how it's shown to the audience.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Am I missing something?
    What happened between the two?

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Update

Am I missing something?
    What happened between the two?
    I think nothing happened, which is to say they *didn't* become friendlier.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

So either we're waiting for the reveal of some off-screen argument or we're supposed to assume the fact that one of them turned into a super hero ruined their friendship? Uhm... kay.

But... yeah, somehow I agree with Cavelcade. Yes, I also complain about pretty much every update but... they alone are... okay. It's the overall story telling that's pretty bad. Not to say any of it is high literature but still.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, former Deeganites. Haven't been keeping up with this because I honestly got bored pretty early and it was barely worth the energy of the snark. Has it gotten better for snarking?

Anyway, I just wanted to drop by because while I was reading Sluggy Freelance today I was reminded of the horrible, horrible cheekmouth in Mookie's art. I think today's Sluggy might have just made Dominic Deegan's cheekmouth look like high art. Last panel, in case you're like me and didn't even recognize what was going on at first.

Let me know if there's enough going on with this that snark is worthwhile - I might add it back into my rotation and rejoin the thread.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Hey, former Deeganites. Haven't been keeping up with this because I honestly got bored pretty early and it was barely worth the energy of the snark. Has it gotten better for snarking?

Anyway, I just wanted to drop by because while I was reading Sluggy Freelance today I was reminded of the horrible, horrible cheekmouth in Mookie's art. I think today's Sluggy might have just made Dominic Deegan's cheekmouth look like high art. Last panel, in case you're like me and didn't even recognize what was going on at first.

Let me know if there's enough going on with this that snark is worthwhile - I might add it back into my rotation and rejoin the thread.
    Don't know if it will make you stay or run further away, but we are currently in the parallel to Deegan's vacation arc, where we see many worlds and cultures that we will probably never see again, learning practically nothing about any of them.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this going anywhere?

Either solve this non-issue, or make her a super villain.
    At this point, I don't care anymore.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Is this going anywhere?

Either solve this non-issue, or make her a super villain.
    At this point, I don't care anymore.

When you accidentally insult the person you don't like to their face, ask yourself.

#whatwoulddeegando ... ?

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    When you accidentally insult the person you don't like to their face, ask yourself.

#whatwoulddeegando ... ?
    Use mind-wipe to erase the bad memory?

23. - Top - End - #293

Use mind-wipe to erase the bad memory?
    This isnt superman 2 though, how will she get to kiss the dancing greenie to perform the memory erasure?! Oh and yeah, Gotta love the scene just oozing with awkwardness now. Welp, that confirms our evil star power at this point. Though I find it helps make things amusing if this is what I imagine her reaction to be.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Barbarian in the Playground

Based on today's strip, I think I've forgotten some crucial background information.

Let's start with the basics: which year in high school are these characters supposed to be in right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    Based on today's strip, I think I've forgotten some crucial background information.

Let's start with the basics: which year in high school are these characters supposed to be in right now?
    They're obviously sophmores.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Danica-kun is the Second Year Protagonist that Brightman-Sempai is mentoring in becoming less anti-social. Unfortunately, Grex decides to insult Danica-kun's classmate Beena behind her back -- and naturally, Beena is Right Behind Her. Oh no! Will Danica-kun be able to master The Power of Friendship before it is too late?!

Also, this is the incident Danica is talking about, in case you forgot.

I know I did

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh, I have a problem with overly sensitive people... Not that she's totally wrong, making fun of someone behind their back is a *** move, but it's still kind of... why? Was this really a reason for a breakdown instead of telling them to act mature?

Also... looking back at the comic OH linked, this is somewhat actually a good way for exposition. On the one hand, we saw again Danica is a terrible friend who was no idea what her (best) friend is doing professionally, on the other Beena got a decent excuse to tell the reader her background...
    Wait, did I just praise Mookie?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Ugh, I have a problem with overly sensitive people... Not that she's totally wrong, making fun of someone behind their back is a *** move, but it's still kind of... why? Was this really a reason for a breakdown instead of telling them to act mature?

Also... looking back at the comic OH linked, this is somewhat actually a good way for exposition. On the one hand, we saw again Danica is a terrible friend who was no idea what her (best) friend is doing professionally, on the other Beena got a decent excuse to tell the reader her background...
    Eh, I think it might be related to the hat her planet wears. The whole social thing. She just felt like she was being cast out by the mockery and that hit her sensitive point, so I can see her being upset. Especially since her self esteem was already at a fairly low ebb due to her "expertise" being less valuable than she thought it would be.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, compare the linked comic with today's comic.

In the former, Beena deals with a mild but direct personal attack ("Your qualification is that your granddad was a specialist?") with a snide rebuke ("No, my qualification is my degree with a specialty in the field and you are a jerk.") followed by a cheerful parting ("Hahaha, but seriously, we're cool."). This is the behavior of a mercurial, but confident, person.

In the latter, Beena deals with another, similar, personal attack (not to her face, but more elaborate) by running away, reduced to tears. Why the change?

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Never got the "best friend" vibe from Danica or Beena.
    At the beginning Danica was a known unti-social person who never really had friends, and Beena looked like an annoying person who just talks to anyone who has ears.
    This changed only when Beena discovered Danica was the star-power. I'm not sure how much time passed, but there was hardly an interaction of friendship beyond her secret identity.