New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power V: The Final Yawntier

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Middleearth may be pretty black and white but there are still enough grey characters (even if you don't buy into the "Melkor the rebel" theories. Compared to Starpower Tolkien's works are pretty complex morally.

Anyway... yeah, I can't really see the logic behind this. I guess sending them someplace else now could have... some logic? But the secret vault that's near impossible to find attacks star powers unless they can... also read ancient language? Even thought the statues are fine speaking Basic? Whatever they protect it better be worth this weird security system...
    Remember the star powered have been wiped out for a long time now. Its entirely possible under normal circumstances they would have updated the information over time. Keeping it current with normal speech patterns or other translations, etc etc etc. We dont know for sure what the original plan was before they got basically genocided.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You don't enjoy the works of Tolkien?
    Compare Boromir's character arc to Siegfried's. Last I checked Tolkien didn't make every single morally ambiguous character basically go full sauron.

I have no objections to black & white being present, but the way Mookie described his issue with Siegfried came across like him objecting to having any character venture too far outside of the black/white dichotemy.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Them again?!

You can't attempt to write a story and pretend there is a serious threat when the villain is the equivalent of "team rocket".

On the positive side, there is the tracker that makes a lot more sense than accidentally bumping into Danica again.
    Also the joke about how seriously dude #3 takes it is somewhere between tragic and funny, so I guess that's fine too.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Them again?!

You can't attempt to write a story and pretend there is a serious threat when the villain is the equivalent of "team rocket".

On the positive side, there is the tracker that makes a lot more sense than accidentally bumping into Danica again.
    Also the joke about how seriously dude #3 takes it is somewhere between tragic and funny, so I guess that's fine too.
    Eh, I want to be angry about the convenience and the recycling of old enemies (also, countess) but really, it's kind of hilarious how Mookie attempts to keep people a threat who clearly aren't. Next time: BHB breaks out of jail, kills whoever helped him do that, allies with the next Facist alien mafia group and accidentally stumbles into the Kioleth system.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Told you guys BHB was going to come back as a super cyborg

6. - Top - End - #66

Eh, these peons werent really treated as a serious threat after the vorp angels arc anyways. The last battle they were just kind of... present I guess. What im more surprised by is the other two being willing to put up with this crap from mr obsession over here. "Ooops, I accidentally dropped a giant rock on the tracker. Guess we cant follow her anymore. TIME TO FIND A FREAKING JOB NOW!"

And yeah, gotta bring back the countess. /sigh At least when robo bill shows up she will have one minion to work with.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #67

Really? Freaking REALLY?! What the hell happened to the countess, she looks like clayface. I was hoping for at least SOME delay between the anvil sized "hint" that the countess would make a return.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

The whole towel thing is the best scene in the comic so far.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Really? Freaking REALLY?! What the hell happened to the countess, she looks like clayface. I was hoping for at least SOME delay between the anvil sized "hint" that the countess would make a return.
    link

Not to mention that her first words after recovery had to mention her revenge.
    Just in case you didn't remember she was EVIL.

10. - Top - End - #70

So she is a prisoner of the galactic empire or whatever its called, she is on life support, and she just wakes up and busts out. Any takers on if we will ever see how the hell she managed to get away? A severely wounded unarmed naked lady in a rabid fit is just going to storm right out of the place like she was forgotten about by everyone till a week later when a nurse pops in to make sure the machinery is functioning. And somehow she will still be a threat, even without her army, equipment, or vast array of powerful ships.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Even with her vast robot army she wasn't much of a threat to galactic army. Do we rwally have to worry abou this deranged has-been?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Even with her vast robot army she wasn't much of a threat to galactic army. Do we really have to worry about this deranged has-been?
    No, no, no! Worry is a negative emotion. We at Mookie Inc. have learned our lesson, and thus strive to keep negative emotions out of our comics entirely, which is why you will never see an antagonist that is not thoroughly neutered.

If you don't like the super-powered emperor (sans powers and empire), why not try the very popular Black Hole Bill, who's self destructive villainous tendencies make him throw away everything that could possibly help him!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    No, no, no! Worry is a negative emotion. We at Mookie Inc. have learned our lesson, and thus strive to keep negative emotions out of our comics entirely, which is why you will never see an antagonist that is not thoroughly neutered.

If you don't like the super-powered emperor (sans powers and empire), why not try the very popular Black Hole Bill, who's self destructive villainous tendencies make him throw away everything that could possibly help him!
    This gets two thumbs up from me

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

Item the twelfth - if thou hast no mooks, thou shalt bekome thyne own mook.

OMG I just had the weirdest revelation. If people in England wrote y instead of th (ye olde = the olde), would they have noticed a change when they stopped saying thou and began to only say you? I mean, would they have just begun reading older texts as if all the thou (written you) in there were actually you?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    If people in England wrote y instead of th (ye olde = the olde), would they have noticed a change when they stopped saying thou and began to only say you? I mean, would they have just begun reading older texts as if all the thou (written you) in there were actually you?
    But they didn't - they wrote Thorn.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post

just wait until we show you our rampaging hulk expy who doesn't feel a lot of strong emotions, our corrupt corporate exec mastermind who wastes all his money, the mad scientist whose inventions only half-work, and a sociopathic serial murderer who kills people.....with a Knife. (thats how you know we're being edgy and realistic)
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Item the twelfth - if thou hast no mooks, thou shalt bekome thyne own mook.

OMG I just had the weirdest revelation. If people in England wrote y instead of th (ye olde = the olde), would they have noticed a change when they stopped saying thou and began to only say you? I mean, would they have just begun reading older texts as if all the thou (written you) in there were actually you?
    That 'Y' was not actually a y, but a thorn, as AMX said; and further the "ou" in "thou" in not pronounced the same as the "ou" in "you" so there would be no confusion in speech.

It's kind of the same thing as the ſ that is actually an s, not an f. It can confuse people not used to modern calligraphy but it's not the letter it looks like it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #78

NecromancerGuy

I'll give the green girl some credit. If she hadn't translated that text, Danica wouldn't have known what to say to make those statues calm the **** down.

As for the Countess . . . I still can't figure out why she keeps doing that with her tongue. Star Power? More like Thtar Thower.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

update

Choose a mother hugging scene, and STICK WITH IT!

(BTW, still calling on the planet being the orcs from Maltak, and still hoping I'm wrong)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure this is going to be linked to the Zel Gux Rokkosian Galactic Empire in some way.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is going to be linked to the Zel Gux Rokkosian Galactic Empire in some way.
    What? No, this is totally unrelated to what is going on. Mookie is so bad he just throws in random stuff when he's not drawing the main story... Okay, well, he did that. But he's most likely not doing it now.

Weeeee, countess is back. I sure hope without her army she will pose a bigger threat. Oh, wait...

Eh, I'm actually kind of curious about where this history lesson is going.
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #82

What? No, this is totally unrelated to what is going on. Mookie is so bad he just throws in random stuff when he's not drawing the main story... Okay, well, he did that. But he's most likely not doing it now.

Weeeee, countess is back. I sure hope without her army she will pose a bigger threat. Oh, wait...

Eh, I'm actually kind of curious about where this history lesson is going.
    Im betting it will end with a star powered uniting the people in some way. Then we have the next issue which has green gal madame expert getting her hands on an alternate mitch. The issue ends with some foreboding foreshadowing of some sort, then the next filler bit covers the revelation that this star power is bad, or went bad. It may even be a bit of a power corrupts thing. The star powered was the savior, was practically worshiped, and eventually it got arrogant and cruel etc etc etc.

23. - Top - End - #83

NecromancerGuy

Just out of curiosity . . . Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that the "Wise Ones" are still called that, even after the story reaches the point where they were all killed or exiled into the desert to die for going insane and demanding everyone commit suicide?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Just out of curiosity . . . Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that the "Wise Ones" are still called that, even after the story reaches the point where they were all killed or exiled into the desert to die for going insane and demanding everyone commit suicide?
    There are examples in many languages of words that had an original meaning that was changed over time.
    In here, it's just more likely that the same words were used so the readers won't get confused.

Also, update.

I'm still not sure why this is in the middle of the chapter instead of filler pages.
    It's not information the characters are currently reading, so not only that it feels forced, when the characters DO learn about it we'll need to see the story AGAIN or timeskip and pretend someone just gave them this information.
    So why now?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

There are examples in many languages of words that had an original meaning that was changed over time.
    In here, it's just more likely that the same words were used so the readers won't get confused.

Also, update.

I'm still not sure why this is in the middle of the chapter instead of filler pages.
    It's not information the characters are currently reading, so not only that it feels forced, when the characters DO learn about it we'll need to see the story AGAIN or timeskip and pretend someone just gave them this information.
    So why now?
    Because that last page of non-filler on the 23rd was the end of the 'issue'. The current chapter is over, and the next bit of story won't be for a few weeks. So this is straight-up filler. I guess we're supposed to be sitting here in nail-biting suspense, wondering what will happen when the Countess escapes and somehow magically transitions from naked hobo to galactic threat.

Personally I'm still waiting for Robo-Bill to come onto the scene. Bonus points if he's working for 'the good guys'. Extra bonus points if he has a malfunction and reverts back to his old incompetent evil personality.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, people sometimes just stick with words, even though they might not apply anymore. Also, "the Insane Ones" just sounds stupid. And "the Wise Turned Insane" Ones is too much of a mouthful.

So why now?
    As Wayson said, because we're between chapters. They need something easy to draw to fill the gap (or people will entirely forget the site exists). Not sure how it will become important later, but i actually don't mind it as filler, even though it's not too hard to guess what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    Because that last page of non-filler on the 23rd was the end of the 'issue'. The current chapter is over, and the next bit of story won't be for a few weeks. So this is straight-up filler. I guess we're supposed to be sitting here in nail-biting suspense, wondering what will happen when the Countess escapes and somehow magically transitions from naked hobo to galactic threat.

Personally I'm still waiting for Robo-Bill to come onto the scene. Bonus points if he's working for 'the good guys'. Extra bonus points if he has a malfunction and reverts back to his old incompetent evil personality.
    Well, maybe Countess and Robo Bill will meet, fall in love, have a child who due to some temporal whatever becomes the new big threat to the galaxy! With parents like these, it's guaranteed to be evil and super competent, after all.
    "What's done is done."

27. - Top - End - #87

As Wayson said, because we're between chapters. They need something easy to draw to fill the gap (or people will entirely forget the site exists). Not sure how it will become important later, but i actually don't mind it as filler, even though it's not too hard to guess what will happen.
    I do, I want my Planets of Hats back.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #88

Is anyone getting a Marius vibe from diablo 2 here?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no.... I think I see where this is going

I guess we can still hope that Mookie will keep the overall plot moving more than 1-2 pages per issue for the next four issues but I'm not betting on it
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #90

I favour a change of scenery. But I fear what's to come.