New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power V: The Final Yawntier

Spoiler: New Comic
    Show
    I know the point is just to show how wrong she is, but it would be better if\
    a.) They put any thought into pacing and how jarring it was to just jump back into that conversation
    b.) It was foreshadowing of the Infinite King's true motives.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Link

Also, it would have worked better if it was some gray area of morality.
    But do we REALLY need a royal from another planet to show that "take everything by force" is a bad thing?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Personally, im expecting mister psychoanalyst to point out that different species are different, and while there may be some similarities, not all cultures have the same necromonger keep what you can kill attitude about everything. That was more of the message I got from it anyways.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure what Mookie is going for with this... if Danica is walking into a trap nd this is his idea of foreshadowing.. wow. If he tries to emphasize how Duchess is wrong... geez, thanks for the subtlity. If he is just too lazy to write another panel of dialogue... hahahaha.
    Or maybe I'm reading too much into this.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm not sure what Mookie is going for with this... if Danica is walking into a trap nd this is his idea of foreshadowing.. wow. If he tries to emphasize how Duchess is wrong... geez, thanks for the subtlity. If he is just too lazy to write another panel of dialogue... hahahaha.
    Or maybe I'm reading too much into this.
    This is where he's going with this

I'm not sure why we keep getting cuts back to Lady Snaketongue unless it's to further highlight how wrong she is. I doubt Mookie's planning on letting her corrupt Humanity, but I wouldn't put it past him, either
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Personally, im expecting mister psychoanalyst to point out that different species are different, and while there may be some similarities, not all cultures have the same necromonger keep what you can kill attitude about everything.
    Different species are different, but we all live in the same universe. That puts limits on how we can be, outside comics.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's king Oarfish The Very Long! :D Regoice!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It's king Oarfish The Very Long! :D Regoice!
    Rejoice, Regulecus.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    This is where he's going with this

I'm not sure why we keep getting cuts back to Lady Snaketongue unless it's to further highlight how wrong she is. I doubt Mookie's planning on letting her corrupt Humanity, but I wouldn't put it past him, either
    I'd actually love if he went full Watchmen-Rorschach on this, where the Queen totally destroys the human's sense of believe in his species and himself only to have him reach a level of understanding about how to achieve a simpler but important good (only
    Spoiler
    Show
    to be blown up by the psychic-space-squid
    ).

Of course, Mookie has basically said that he wants this to be the antithesis of Watchmen, since that was a deconstruction of the age of comics (and pretty much spelled its end, as far as I understand) that he is trying to revive/recapture with Star Power. So it would be a bit of a departure.

Edit: I wonder, does Mookie have strong feelings about how to pronounce gif?
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2016-01-05 at 11:19 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

10. - Top - End - #190

Sorry, but [ʤif] is the only possible answer from a biased romancecentric perspective I mean, how would the great Ciarenni say it?

So, is anyone impatiently waiting for the website redesign?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

It's so cute, he thinks we'll be excited by yet another fake cliffhanger.

Also, there is nothing in stake here.
    Let's say her magesty refuses to give the key. So what?
    We know the source of the signal came from this system, but the keys were discovered by mistake, so it is still not clear if and how it will lead them to their goal.
    So what if they don't have the key? They can just do whatever it is they intended to do in the first place without knowing about the keys, or search for the other keys and hope it will be enough to know what's going on.

12. - Top - End - #192

"Didn't you just say I am welcome to anything and everything?"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think we can all see it. The message is peace and love here. This test is about her likeliness to overcome obstacles through violence.

If she just stands up and leaves sadly, the wise king will know she is the right one (because he was told so by the wiiiiise Zel Gux) and hand it over.

14. - Top - End - #194

And there it is. And now I am wondering whether the halberd actually wasn't a microphone, and the king a quiz host.

15. - Top - End - #195

That was so lame guys. Just... just SO LAME! I mean, maybe it would have been a decent test had he not explicitly stated that anything they have is hers to take just before he pretended to turn it into a confrontation.

"You can have anything you want!"
    "Can I have that?"
    "How do you plan to get it?"
    "Ummm, didnt you just offer me anything?"
    "Why so i did! You pass the test!"
    "Oh god I hate this reality so much"

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

If you zoom out far enough, this isn't a terrible bit of writing. I'm not inherently against the idea of the keeper of the MacGuffin implicitly threatening violence to see if The Chosen One immediately reacts violently or chooses a path of peace. (It's not super original, sure, but it also hasn't been done completely to death, and this is Mookie we're talking about.)

I think what makes it bad is just the timing. I'm fully aware of the irony of me saying it would be better for Mookie to spread things out a bit more, but in this case only, I think that might actually be the case. We're like what, two, three strips removed from the king saying that she can have anything she wants? Everything since she went underwater has been quickly jerked from one checkbox-like plot point to the next. There's no smooth progression to anything. It stands in stark contrast to the drawn-out "hey look we're on the beach" start to this issue, and you can tell that the fixed-volume format is kind of the worst of both worlds as far as timing goes. He still managed to make the beginning (where there's no real plot happening) slow and tedious, and now that he's got to cram a certain quantity of plot points (not to say "twists") into the remaining pages, everything's happening all at once with no chance of feeling smooth or natural.

I mean, consider if we had met His May-Gust-Tee an issue or two ago, and we had established that his people revere the Star Powered Sentinels because they were told to by the Xel'Naga or whatever, right? A good writer would have also had a separate plot point there as well (so it wouldn't just be worldbuilding filler), which we can throw in if we're feeling generous. Anyway, we then move away from Hydrolax and get on with whatever the plot was at the start of this arc, and an issue or two later, this search for the keys eventually loops us back around to Hydrolax, where Danica tells the Hydrolaxatives that she's looking for the key. At that point, His May-Gust-Tee points his spear at her, reveals that he is its guardian, and asks her how she plans to take it from him. A dialogue would ensue, ideally taking more than just one bloody strip (not ages, of course, but long enough to avoid the Mookie habit of shooting down tension no more than six panels after it appears), at which point Danica calls back to the king's earlier offer to share anything and everything with her. From then, things proceed like we've seen: this is The Right Answer that proves that she has The Heart Of A Sentinel, everyone's happy, yada yada. Same basic idea as what we saw in the past two strips, but it wouldn't feel so forced and artificial. Is it Shakespeare? No, but it's a damn sight better than what we've just seen, don't you think?

So yeah. The individual pieces of this "conflict" don't bother me. He just put them together in a really inelegant way.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

This is how I would have done it:
    1) When they reach the planet they are told to wait for an official meeting with his magesty the king to ask for permission to enter the ruins
    2) It doesn't need to be tension, but enough if 1-2 pages show uncomfortable mood while waiting for the meeting.
    3) The king will be cold and say that he knows what and who Danica is, then he will say that he has the artifact that she needs and it is under his guard for generations
    4) AFTER the stupid test when Danica will say that she will just ask politely, the king can start the feast and change the mood.

As a bonus, the countess talk about how all rulers are the same will actually make more sense here.

It's still the same crap, but less lame.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe the king is just an idiot. He got all excited to see a real live Star Powered Sentinel, and then in the middle of dinner he's like 'crap, I'm supposed to test her personality first'.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

New update!

Aaaand... how sickeningly predictable.

20. - Top - End - #200

Well, at least it gives a good feeling. We now have 10 pages left for all the killings!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Well, at least it gives a good feeling. We now have 10 pages left for all the killings!
    More likely, ~3 pages for the celebration, ~3 for discussion about the next key, 1-2 for the three stooges, and the rest for the interrogation of snake lady

22. - Top - End - #202

Ok, that was just adding more dumb to the idiot sundae. Sentinels dont have a sword like a freaking knight, they have hard light constructs they produce from their energy. Its a freaking green lantern power set. You might as well ask for their official star powered shovel or baseball bat. I get the symbolism, really I do, its just stupid. And the whole "gee, noone but me can use it" line? Also dumb. At worst she just has to continue projecting the energy for it, its not like they dont interact with physical matter since she uses them to cut apart battleships and such. So clearly he can hold it. But im sure this is being used as some sort of lead in to explain why his "magesty" is blessed by the xelnaga to be able to use star power or some such stupidity. Also, im assuming mitch is in the background doing something. Downloading the info they need? Pointing out the next stupid step in this idiotic plan to do something? Whatever.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ok, that was just adding more dumb to the idiot sundae. Sentinels dont have a sword like a freaking knight, they have hard light constructs they produce from their energy. Its a freaking green lantern power set. You might as well ask for their official star powered shovel or baseball bat. I get the symbolism, really I do, its just stupid. And the whole "gee, noone but me can use it" line? Also dumb. At worst she just has to continue projecting the energy for it, its not like they dont interact with physical matter since she uses them to cut apart battleships and such. So clearly he can hold it. But im sure this is being used as some sort of lead in to explain why his "magesty" is blessed by the xelnaga to be able to use star power or some such stupidity. Also, im assuming mitch is in the background doing something. Downloading the info they need? Pointing out the next stupid step in this idiotic plan to do something? Whatever.
    She's being knighted. It's a ceremony. It still happens, though quite rarely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Chichester

In July 1967, a few weeks after his solo circumnavigation, Chichester was knighted, being appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire for "individual achievement and sustained endeavour in the navigation and seamanship of small craft".[7] For the ceremony, the Queen used the sword used by her predecessor Queen Elizabeth I to knight the adventurer Sir Francis Drake, the first Englishman with his crew to complete a circumnavigation. Gipsy Moth IV was preserved alongside the Cutty Sark at Greenwich.
    Yeah, it's a cheap thing in a comic, but it's not outrageously unbelievable.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Is that a Mitch-analogue over His May-Gust-Tee's head (Panel 3 and Panel 4)? Between that little detail and the fact that he's holding an SPS-created lightsaber with no apparent ill effects, the impression I'm getting is that His May-Gust-Tee is an SPS himself.

I mean, that clearly contradicts everything we've heard up until now, but that's what I'm getting out of this strip. Anyone else reading it this way? It'll likely be explained away (possibly over-explained, knowing Mookie—but then, knowing Mookie, it might not be explained at all) with the next update, but still, that's the impression I'm getting right this minute. Not saying that it would make sense or be a good thing for His May-Gust-Tee to have the Star Power himself, but there you have it.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    She's being knighted. It's a ceremony. It still happens, though quite rarely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Chichester

Yeah, it's a cheap thing in a comic, but it's not outrageously unbelievable.
    Like I said, I got the symbolism, but everything involved with it was just so, so dumb. Why does she even need to be "knighted"? Just give her the effing device, invite her to come back for a visit someday to tell all about her whacky adventure, then let her move on!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Is that a Mitch-analogue over His May-Gust-Tee's head (Panel 3 and Panel 4)? Between that little detail and the fact that he's holding an SPS-created lightsaber with no apparent ill effects, the impression I'm getting is that His May-Gust-Tee is an SPS himself.

I mean, that clearly contradicts everything we've heard up until now, but that's what I'm getting out of this strip. Anyone else reading it this way? It'll likely be explained away (possibly over-explained, knowing Mookie—but then, knowing Mookie, it might not be explained at all) with the next update, but still, that's the impression I'm getting right this minute. Not saying that it would make sense or be a good thing for His May-Gust-Tee to have the Star Power himself, but there you have it.
    The keys look like Mitch, so that's what you're seeing there.

Also, Danica has no idea who can wield a SPS Sword ("SPS-S") since it has never come up. In any case, the King Fish is almost certainly better informed in this regard.

It's the Vacation Arc IN SPACE -- get used to this kind of nonsense. We've got another 3 books or so of it
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2016-01-12 at 02:14 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

BTW, when you think of a weapon you DON'T want to use to knight someone, a freaking lightsaber comes in mind up in the list, right next to an active chainsaw.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    BTW, when you think of a weapon you DON'T want to use to knight someone, a freaking lightsaber comes in mind up in the list, right next to an active chainsaw.
    Poor Dooku :`(

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Poor four-eyes.

That's okay, you were not useless, like Danica said: The tests were so easy this time she didn't even know she was taking them.