New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power V: The Final Yawntier

Argh, even when doing basic "interesting" cuts, Mookie can't do them correctly. The cut should be from "I was hoping we could talk about--" to "--the Star Powered Sentinels", not the way he did it. Why are you so frustrating Mookie?

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

The comparisons continue

Why do we need them?
    It's not like we have any grey morality in this comic, so we don't need to countess to show that Danica is good, and we don't need Danica to show snake lady is EVIL.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember the memory loss

Finally, someone remembered Mitch lost his memory and that it means something. Only two planets later.

Better late than never?

Also, am I the only one who is still following this?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Remember the memory loss

Finally, someone remembered Mitch lost his memory and that it means something. Only two planets later.

Better late than never?

Also, am I the only one who is still following this?
    Nah, it's just too boring to even complain about it, for the most part. Or that's my reason for not saying much.

Also, I wonder what the big reveal will be. I mean, really, I've got no decent idea what Mookie will come up with to solve this "mystery".
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So is the revelation at the end of this is that of
    Spoiler
    Show
    a second starpower?

And the cover revealed who it will be?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Nah, it's just too boring to even complain about it, for the most part. Or that's my reason for not saying much.

Also, I wonder what the big reveal will be. I mean, really, I've got no decent idea what Mookie will come up with to solve this "mystery".
    My theory is still along the lines of a heavily damaged mitch unit that has slowly gone insane over its many years of isolation from the rest of the sentinels. There was an episode of star trek voyager that comes to mind, they found a hologram as the lone survivor on a ship that everyone sympathized with and seemed harmless, turned out it was insane and was trying to kill everyone. Im thinking something similar will happen here and greenie will join with it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #247

So since noone else mentioned it, am I the only one who thinks mookie is piling on the potential for resentment here? "Oh MAN! Even these high muckity muck types are fawning all over her! My expertise is totally useless, never helps anything, and I keep getting shunted to the side!"

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So since noone else mentioned it, am I the only one who thinks mookie is piling on the potential for resentment here? "Oh MAN! Even these high muckity muck types are fawning all over her! My expertise is totally useless, never helps anything, and I keep getting shunted to the side!"
    I really hope this is not the case.
    If it will be, it will be the worst villain excuse I've heard for a long time.

She is among a group of six people in the galaxy that can see and document a once in a life time event, and it's not like the others in her group were more useful, all the keys were practically gift-wrapped for Danica.

9. - Top - End - #249

I really hope this is not the case.
    If it will be, it will be the worst villain excuse I've heard for a long time.

She is among a group of six people in the galaxy that can see and document a once in a life time event, and it's not like the others in her group were more useful, all the keys were practically gift-wrapped for Danica.
    True, but the whole reason she is even coming along on this mission is because she is some sort of history buff on this subject. I could see being annoyed that it has literally no effect on the journey and nothing she does matters. It would still be a stupidly petty reason to go evil, but I know I would be annoyed by it myself.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

True, but the whole reason she is even coming along on this mission is because she is some sort of history buff on this subject. I could see being annoyed that it has literally no effect on the journey and nothing she does matters. It would still be a stupidly petty reason to go evil, but I know I would be annoyed by it myself.

Science lady didn't use her knowledge of astronomy, The sniper didn't shoot anything, there wasn't any bombs to disarm for lizard guard and squidy didn't need to be a meat shield for anything.

Anyway, update.
    And yes, the fact four-eyes isn't in the picture does make me fear that your prediction will be accurate.
    (BTW, did you notice she is the only one in the current group that isn't in the character introduction part?)

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Is it wrong that I hope all this fawning ends with the not-Yavin-4-ers inviting the Star Groupies into a large stewpot?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Mookie loves red pandas (and to be fair, who can blame him), so that seems unlikely. The only possible risque moment would be one of the crew members - most likely the frog out of this bunch - coming out of a Red Space Panda's room in the morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Mookie loves red pandas (and to be fair, who can blame him), so that seems unlikely. The only possible risque moment would be one of the crew members - most likely the frog out of this bunch - coming out of a Red Space Panda's room in the morning.
    Oh gosh I... I... I don't even want to think how this could work

So... how many comics did we have so far where the last panel was "ironic" compared to what was said before? It feels like every second did that joke...
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #254

Science lady didn't use her knowledge of astronomy, The sniper didn't shoot anything, there wasn't any bombs to disarm for lizard guard and squidy didn't need to be a meat shield for anything.

Anyway, update.
    And yes, the fact four-eyes isn't in the picture does make me fear that your prediction will be accurate.
    (BTW, did you notice she is the only one in the current group that isn't in the character introduction part?)
    Science lady is here to study danica and the star power and see what she can learn, the guards are there to guard her in case of trouble. Green girl? She is literally only tagging along on the justification that her knowledge of this aspect of ancient history makes her useful. So far it has had exactly zero benefit. And another reason why its different for her than for everyone else is, they are all adults, highly experienced in their fields and fully secure in what they are doing. Greenie strikes me as more of a teenager with all the moody self worth issues that implies being sidelined as totally useless while her friend gets all the attention and focus. Once again, stupid reason to go evil, but ive seen stupider.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Oh gosh I... I... I don't even want to think how this could work

So... how many comics did we have so far where the last panel was "ironic" compared to what was said before? It feels like every second did that joke...
    If there's one thing Mookie loves, it's pounding jokes into the ground!

At least he can't get away with Beat Panel Abuse anymore
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

More traumatic memories of the poor pilots who were just following orders...

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

More traumatic memories of the poor pilots who were just following orders...
    This might be me being unreasonably optimistic (as usual!) but what if she mentally wonders why every half decent bloke she comes across appears to be homicidal maniacs and how much she wishes she could find a regular boyfriend unaware he can hear every word she's thinking due to their proximity!

So what are the odds he has a crush on her?

Yes unlikely its more likely he has a crush on someone who almost killed him for no reason whatsoever!

Sorry got a bit too cynical there!

18. - Top - End - #258

Well yay? Its like mookie read these comments and went out of his way to write an empty near meaningless comic just to show that nope, greenie isnt jealous. Also, lame final joke. "Astronomers."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Well yay? Its like mookie read these comments and went out of his way to write an empty near meaningless comic just to show that nope, greenie isnt jealous. Also, lame final joke. "Astronomers."
    Link

I actually prefer it this way.

Four-eyes as a villain is a terrible idea, and it's nice to remember that Danica is not a social person (or ANYTHING about her character).
    It's not a good page, but it's a lot better than what I was expecting.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I don't really mind the latest comic either... it shows Danica still has some character, however sporadic it might be, and it kind of makes sense for foureyes to not be entirely evil over a bit of jealousy.

The comic before that... uhm... so what's the point? He knows her face but won't tell? Because she spared his life? Is... is... is he in love with her?!
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

They are not even trying any more.

Just take the stupid key and go to the next place.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tension? Teeension?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #263
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, by this point, Danica has already proven that she is a SPS. The runes around the entrance to the "cupboard" might is a detector of some sort. Whatever is going to happen will not start until Danica reaches into the "cupboard." This will be fun to watch.
    FTDWIR

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Not at all

26. - Top - End - #266

Did you mean, knot at all?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

This is like a game of D&D with a GM who thinks that a good puzzle is "make four Knowledge checks to open the door."

Like, from a thematic perspective, I'm okay with the keys/pieces/clues/Macguffins/whatever being sealed away with lore or with something other than Indiana Jones-style deathtraps, but that doesn't actually make it entertaining to have the key conflict be "Only one with this knowledge can enter." "I know this thing!" "You may enter." [REPEAT.]

I mean, this is basically the same "challenge" as the first key (Green Girl has to translate some bit of Ancientese for Danica to use to invoke how much of an astronomer/Sentinel she is), but at least there was the element of danger in the first challenge. On the one hand, I respect Mookie not doing the same thing over and over (and I totally understand that even if the arbitrary danger element was something other than angry golems, he'd basically be doing the same thing over and over if the basic formula was "deathtrap + Ancientese"), but on the other hand, this really isn't an improvement.

A good writer could have made this have a similar feel to a mystery/whodunit where the clues to the puzzle are slowly revealed through the story and the reader can try to put them together along with the protagonist(s). (There's varying schools of thought as to how much of the complete picture should be available to the reader as the story progresses, but that's still the basic idea.) But that would take, like, planning and effort. So instead we just get the party rubbing Knowledge checks on the doors and having that somehow be enough to progress.

(Also, I don't even have a witty comment about "complex" numbers with enough information to identify stellar coordinates being two syllables apiece. That's just—yeah. No.)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

I was never a fan of riddles in dungeons.
    I just never understood why someone who wanted to keep something safe would use knowledge that was fairly common in that time instead of just a secret password.

It's such a common trope that usually it can be ignored if there is at least some fun element to solving the riddle. For example, sometimes it's challenging when the viewers get to solve the riddle with the character (like some of the traps in Goblins), and sometimes the riddles were not just riddles but also things that made partial sense like tests of faith (like some of the riddles in Indiana Jones), sometimes it's fun because of good action sequences and direct threat to the characters (why did it have to be snakes?).
    Here? All the challenges so far were either direct resolve with no interest to the reader, or the ridicules "test of character" that was so obvious it could have been seen from space.

As a side-note, in my old times as a DM I once made a room with a closed door that had no handle, with 9 levers and a panel of 9 lights.
    The players always fiddled with the levers trying to turn on all the lights in the panel, not knowing that all the levers activated an alarm and that the mechanism to the door itself was just to push it on a specific location.

[edit]
    Update
    Last edited by random11; 2016-02-29 at 08:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Firbolg in the Playground

This was a seriously bad page. Character reactions didn't make sense to me, and the Countess was abrupt and disconnected.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    This was a seriously bad page. Character reactions didn't make sense to me, and the Countess was abrupt and disconnected.
    Seriously, Ugh? Where did that come from?