New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default White Raven Crown doubt

Guys, does having a "White Raven Crown" maneuver count as pre-requisite for another maneuver? i ask because the item description says you have learned a maneuver until it's used. (and the Tome of Battle for Dummies says its a easy way to beat prerequisites)

Thanks for the help, sorry of any english mistakes (not my natural language)!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: White Raven Crown doubt

I don't know if there is clear RAW on the matter, but I don't allow it to work like that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aspargo View Post
    Guys, does having a "White Raven Crown" maneuver count as pre-requisite for another maneuver?
    By RAW (Rules As Written), yes. The text says that once you wear the crown for 24 hours, you know this maneuver and can use it as long as you wear the crown. So it counts for prereqs.

By RAI (Rules As Intended/Interpretted)... check with your DM. ToB causes some people to get twitchy or unreasonable about what they expect melee characters should be capable of doing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Actually i know well my DM and usually if its RAW he has no problem accepting things (other than really obvious broke things). Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

It might depend on how he views the "house of cards" set up that exists for retraining maneuvers (that every ToB class gets at 4th level and every two thereafter), since there's some similar "issues" with it. With the maneuver retraining, by strict RAW, you can take an entry maneuver (one w/ no other known required), then trade it out later for a higher level one and end up in a situation where none of your maneuvers/stances from a discipline have 0 known required, making it impossible for a character to have obtained all those more advanced maneuvers....and yet, you have them.
    I don't like that, several others don't, either.

Likewise with the crown and other items, since you can change the maneuver it grants, you could pick an entry maneuver, then once you nab another maneuver or two that require it, swap it out for one that also requires a maneuver known.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    With the maneuver retraining, by strict RAW, you can take an entry maneuver (one w/ no other known required), then trade it out later for a higher level one and end up in a situation where none of your maneuvers/stances from a discipline have 0 known required, making it impossible for a character to have obtained all those more advanced maneuvers.
    "Impossible" is not a synonym for "I don't like how the designers set this up." Prerequisites for maneuvers are explicitly only for the purpose of choosing them, not for knowing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be very wary of this. Not because I don't want melee to have nice things (I think they definitely should be able to), but because it could make casters even more powerful than they are now if you allow items to count for prerequisites. Would there be anything stopping a Wizard from wearing an item of Lesser Planar Ally, and qualifying for Thaumaturgist? Not the most powerful class, I know, but just in principle. Early entry shenanigans would be possible for Archmage, too.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2015-09-27 at 03:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Would there be anything stopping a Wizard from wearing an item of Lesser Planar Ally, and qualifying for Thaumaturgist?
    Using magic items to qualify for PrCs is already allowed by RAW (Complete Warrior p. 16).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Would there be anything stopping a Wizard from wearing an item of Lesser Planar Ally, and qualifying for Thaumaturgist?
    Probably because there is no equivalent of the crown of the white raven for Wizards. There are, however, equivalents for spontaneous casters (knowstones and that dragon helm thing from Eberron).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Wearing an item that lets you produce a lesser planar ally effect a) doesn't count as actually being able to cast the spell, and b) is not an item that exists by raw anyway.

That said, a wizard can just get arcane disciple for a domain that has lesser planar ally and qualify for thaumaturgist already, so that doesn't really change much, and as has already been stated anyway, items are explicitly able to provide prerequisites anyway.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Probably because there is no equivalent of the crown of the white raven for Wizards. There are, however, equivalents for spontaneous casters (knowstones and that dragon helm thing from Eberron).
    Rod of Metamagic could fill several PrC pre-reqs.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Rod of Metamagic could fill several PrC pre-reqs.
    Unlikely

Possession of a metamagic rod does not confer the associated feat on the owner, only the ability to use the given feat a specified number of times per day.
    Do you have any PrCs in mind that require metamagic but not metamagic feats?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Using magic items to qualify for PrCs is already allowed by RAW (Complete Warrior p. 16).
    The difference between using an item to qualify for a PrC and using one to qualify for a higher level maneuver is a significant one however. Let's take the Crown of White Ravens as an example, or in this case the Desert Wind Cloak variant.
    • Assume that a Warblade uses the Desert Wind Cloak to grant the Burning Blade maneuver in order to fulfill the entry requirements for the Master of Nine prestige class. The magic item is stolen from the Warblade by a Swordsage. As a result the Warblade loses the benefit of all of the class features and other special abilities granted by Master of Nine - although he retains the hit dice, BAB, and base saving throw bonuses. (Don't ask me if he keeps his skill ranks - I haven't found a clear answer to this yet.)
    • Now assume that the Swordsage who stole the Desert Wind Cloak uses it to grant the Burning Blade maneuver. Prior to this he has focused on other disciplines so this is his first Desert Wind Maneuver. When he gains a level he learns Fan the Flames - using the maneuver granted by the cloak to qualify. The magic item is stolen by a Rogue. As a result the Swordsage no longer has access to the Burning Blade maneuver (unless he picks it when he levels again) but he retains the Fan the Flames maneuver. There is no requirement that he still meet the prerequisites once he has learned a maneuver.
    • Now further assume that the Rogue who stole the Desert Wind Cloak uses it to grant the Burning Blade maneuver. He gains a level and takes the Martial Stance feat, picking up Flame's Blessing for some fire resistance. He uses the maneuver from the cloak to qualify for the feat. The magic item is stolen once more. Normally the Rogue would lose the feat, since he "can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite." However, according to ToB p 43 "Stances are considered maneuvers for the purpose of fulfilling prerequisites for learning higher-level maneuvers, or qualifying for prestige classes or feats." So here he comes the paradox. Since he knows Flame's Blessing he technically still qualifies for the Martial Stance feat. Or maybe he doesn't since it is the feat that grants him the stance. I dunno - DM call I think.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner View Post
    [*]Assume that a Warblade uses the Desert Wind Cloak to grant the Burning Blade maneuver in order to fulfill the entry requirements for the Master of Nine prestige class. The magic item is stolen from the Warblade by a Swordsage. As a result the Warblade loses the benefit of all of the class features and other special abilities granted by Master of Nine - although he retains the hit dice, BAB, and base saving throw bonuses. (Don't ask me if he keeps his skill ranks - I haven't found a clear answer to this yet.)
    As Master of Nine is in ToB and not Complete Warrior or Complete Arcane, he maintains the benefits of the PrC even if he no longer meets the requirements. ToB has no such rider, and such a general rule would be self-defeating for many PrCs, some of which are in core (see: Dragon Disciple).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

As Master of Nine is in ToB and not Complete Warrior or Complete Arcane, he maintains the benefits of the PrC even if he no longer meets the requirements. ToB has no such rider, and such a general rule would be self-defeating for many PrCs, some of which are in core (see: Dragon Disciple).
    Nowhere in either version of the PrC rule pertaining to lost prerequisites does it state that the rule only applies to Prestige Classes from only that book.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't have to-- The PrCs in those books are the only ones that rule can apply to.

Look at it this way: If those rules have scope outside of those books, then which one applies? They're not the same.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    If those rules have scope outside of those books, then which one applies? They're not the same.
    I would say the one that applies is the one that states you get to keep Hit Dice, BAB, and Base Save Bonus from the PrC.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I would say the one that applies is the one that states you get to keep Hit Dice, BAB, and Base Save Bonus from the PrC.
    For what possible reason? Because it suits you better?

Neither book has topic precedence over any other. In fact, they have less topic precedence than the DMG, which includes a PrC whose capstone would be losing all the benefits of the PrC if those ruling were universal.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

For what possible reason? Because it suits you better?
    Actually it would be because I just described both of them. The wording of each may be slightly different, but the effect is the same: you get to keep Hit Dice, BAB, and Base Save Bonus from the PrC.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

• Now assume that the Swordsage who stole the Desert Wind Cloak uses it to grant the Burning Blade maneuver. Prior to this he has focused on other disciplines so this is his first Desert Wind Maneuver. When he gains a level he learns Fan the Flames - using the maneuver granted by the cloak to qualify. The magic item is stolen by a Rogue. As a result the Swordsage no longer has access to the Burning Blade maneuver (unless he picks it when he levels again) but he retains the Fan the Flames maneuver. There is no requirement that he still meet the prerequisites once he has learned a maneuver.
    The difference here is that he actually DOES continue to meet the pre-requisites. The fan the flames maneuver counts as a known desert wind maneuver, becoming a self-fulfilling prerequisite. The prerequisites still apply, but the maneuver can qualify itself.

Take an example of the same swordsage going on to learn desert tempest, a maneuver that requires 2 desert wind maneuvers to learn, before losing the cloak. The swordsage, now knowing 3 maneuvers from desert wind, decides to retrain fan the flames into a different discipline when he is next able. He now has 2 desert wind maneuvers, desert tempest and burning blade, thus still qualifying for desert tempest. If, however, at this point the cloak is stolen, he only has a single desert wind maneuver, no longer meeting the pre-requisites for desert tempest, and losing access to the maneuver.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Take an example of the same swordsage going on to learn desert tempest, a maneuver that requires 2 desert wind maneuvers to learn, before losing the cloak. The swordsage, now knowing 3 maneuvers from desert wind, decides to retrain fan the flames into a different discipline when he is next able. He now has 2 desert wind maneuvers, desert tempest and burning blade, thus still qualifying for desert tempest. If, however, at this point the cloak is stolen, he only has a single desert wind maneuver, no longer meeting the pre-requisites for desert tempest, and losing access to the maneuver.
    Where is your reference? I see no rule anywhere in ToB that states you lose a maneuver if later you no longer meet the prerequisite. The only time it states you must meet the prerequisite is when you first learn the maneuver. If you want to add your own house-rule that is fine for your games, but there is nothing RAW that supports your claim that the character would lose a maneuver in such a case.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

And if you're talking about the Martial Study feat, you would lose the benefit of that feat if you lost its prerequisites... Except that the feat doesn't have any prerequisites. The maneuver you gain from the feat might have prerequisites, but then we're back to the rules for maneuver prerequisites, not the rules for feat prerequisites.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics