New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Archetype: Oathbound Paladin] Oath of Mortification

OATH OF MORTIFICATION
    To many, the act of willfully inflicting harm to one's self is a deed done in reverence to vile gods or for profane self-gratification. To paladins who have sworn an oath of mortification, however, it is a purifying experience. When a paladin takes this oath she becomes a living augury for those who sin, and a path to redemption for those who realize before it is too late. Whether their pain is their own, or they seek to cleanse their foes on the battlefield, paladins who have sworn such a vow stand defiant against the evils of the world. Paladins who take an oath of mortification gain the following class features.

Accustomed to Agony (Su): At 2nd level, the paladin gains a +4 sacred bonus on saves against pain effects, and a bonus equal to her Charisma modifier on Fortitude saving throws. This replaces Divine Grace.

Bloodied Hands (Su): Rather than having distinct uses, the paladin's Lay on Hands takes a number of points of non-lethal damage equal to 1d6 divided by 2, rounded up as necessary. When the paladin's Lay on Hands has its healing and damage increased, it deals an increased amount of damage to the paladin (2d6 divided by 2, 3d6 divided by 2, so on.) Damage taken for the purpose of using Lay on Hands cannot be healed by any means other than getting a full night's rest, which removes all damage taken by the use of Bloodied Hands. This alters the paladin's Lay on Hands.

Agony (Su): When the paladin is given the option to select a mercy, she may instead select an Agony. An agony is essentially an antipaladin cruelty, treating her paladin levels as antipaladin levels for the purpose of level prerequisites, except as follows; An agony can be applied to the target of the paladin's Smite Evil on a successful melee attack. To apply an agony in such a manner, the paladin must inflict upon themselves a number of points of damage equal to 1/2 their character level, rounded down as necessary. This alters the paladin's Mercy.

Mortifying Hands (Su): At 4th level, the paladin gains the ability to harm creatures with his Lay on Hands ability, treating the target as if they were undead. If the paladin possesses any Agonies, they may apply them to this usage for Lay on Hands. This is a pain effect. This replaces the paladin's Channel Positive Energy.

Code of Conduct: On a daily basis, practice some sort of ritual of self-harm. This typically takes an hour and often is done during the time the paladin prepares their spell.

Oath Spells: 1st- Instrument of Agony; 2nd- Agonizing Rebuke; 3rd- Sadomasochism; 4th- Terrible Remorse.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2015-09-28 at 02:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: [Archetype: Oathbound Paladin] Oath of Mortification

Oh! I really like this. I think a burn-style mechanic (i.e. what you've got going with the bloodied hands ability) works a lot better like this, when it powers just one specific ability rather than the whole class. It's also very flavorful. I'm getting really cool ideas for a kyton-spawn tiefling paladin with this oath!

It could be sort of cool to somehow work in a version of an antipaladin's cruelties (retitled agonies to sound less evil) into this. I'm just brainstorming, but if these guys could maybe choose agonies in place of mercies and apply them by taking bloodied hands damage? So like, you take damage as if for using bloodied hands, and then all your weapon attacks can deliver one agony you know for 1 round, or something like that? Just an idea that sort of flew into my head.

Keep up the cool creepy stuff!

Cheers,
    - Gears
    Last edited by Ethereal Gears; 2015-09-28 at 05:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Thats not a bad idea. Later i'll implement this, but how about something along the lines of this:

When you have the option to choose a mercy, you may instead pick an agony. By taking x points of damage as a ??? action, you may apply an agony (cruelty) to the target of your next attack. This works only on the target of your smite evil.

Also, still figuring out what the 4th level spell should be.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

My recommendations for your fourth level spell have to be Terrible Remorse, Guardian of Faith, Enchantment Trick or Blessing of Fervor.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Updated the main post.

Quote Originally Posted by Aergoth View Post
    My recommendations for your fourth level spell have to be Terrible Remorse, Guardian of Faith, Enchantment Trick or Blessing of Fervor.
    Thank you. That helps a lot actually.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

@Xuldarinar: If the damage you incur is not the unhealable bloodied hands kind, I think your idea for applying agonies works out nicely.

Another idea would be to take away channel energy from these guys and let them use bloodied hands both as either lay on hands or as an antipaladin's touch of corruption (changing the name to something like touch of mortification and maybe making the damage a pain effect instead of negative energy). I think this could be balanced, since what the archetype gets replacing Divine Grace is strictly worse mechanically (albeit very suitable flavor-wise), so it has some wiggle room for expanding the power of bloodied hands. If you don't like that idea, though, I think your version of agony application is good.

Cheers,
    - Gears

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Gears View Post
    @Xuldarinar: If the damage you incur is not the unhealable bloodied hands kind, I think your idea for applying agonies works out nicely.
    Changed.

Another idea would be to take away channel energy from these guys and let them use bloodied hands both as either lay on hands or as an antipaladin's touch of corruption (changing the name to something like touch of mortification and maybe making the damage a pain effect instead of negative energy). I think this could be balanced, since what the archetype gets replacing Divine Grace is strictly worse mechanically (albeit very suitable flavor-wise), so it has some wiggle room for expanding the power of bloodied hands. If you don't like that idea, though, I think your version of agony application is good.

Cheers,
    - Gears
    I think that is a wonderful idea. Consider it done.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar