A friend has taxed me with helping him build a functional Ranger "Switch Hitter" build to replace his character that recently died in our game. The game is high powered, but most of the players are new-ish and learning optimization for the first time.

Lvl 10, 40 point buy for stats, free advanced template and one other +1CR template of our choice. First party and DSP are allowed sources.

The rest of the party consists of:

Myself: Wiz2/Clr1/MT2/Evangelist 5 (DM let me early entry since we have no other full casters). I am a typical God Wiz (buff/debuff/BFC)

T: Soulbolt2/Marksman (sniper)8 Dropping about 100 damage on his one attack a round. Great long range cover fire and rear guard.

J: Divine Hunter Primal Hunter 10. Buffs his constrictor snake and has it lockdown a foe while he closes in for mook cleanup.

C: Battle Oracle VMC Ftr. Typical Gish with a pention for face tanking foes and after battle patchups.

I am just not sure how to get such a neutered Ranger Chassis up to snuff so that it can keep up with the rest of us. So I turn to the playground for ways to make the most of this. The player is dead set on Freebooter/Trapper Ranger and wanting to be a switch hitter. Please don't suggest alternatives, as I have tried and they have fallen on deaf ears.