Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Ravenloft and Binders

    Hey everyone,

    So I am going to be playing in a 3.5 Ravenloft game. I would like to play a Binder but my DM is advising against it because he says Ravenloft exists in another dimension and is cut off, even from the Void, so I wouldn't be able to bind any Vestiges while we are there. I have never played Ravenloft so I have no idea.

    I know Ravenloft was published before Tome of Magic, so there really can't be a RAW ruling on Binders specifically. Anyone that has played it want to give their 2 cents? I would love to hear some other opinions

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ComaVision's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    That's a poor excuse, unless he's banning all Divine casters as well.


    That being said, if he doesn't want Binders then don't play a Binder.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Theres no rules precedent for this, so its all up to the DM, and if he nixed it, then theres not much more to say.


    If you want our opinions on it.

    I think its dumb. I never like limiting my players options as a DM, especially with a ham fisted reason as "oh the plane you're on is cut off from (insert source of power)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Do you mean "attractive women, or spiders", or "attractive women, or attractive spiders"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    I too object to the unspecified way the imaginary, timeless, supposedly unkillable monster in the imaginary world of magic and elves and dragons aquired its martial training. Clearly that doesn't make SENSE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brova View Post
    Because if you are in a position to break the Wizard's spell component pouch and stop him from casting spells, you are also in a position to stab him in the kidneys and stop him from being alive.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    He is not banning all divine casters. we have 2 clerics in the party

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    EisenKreutzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Trondheim, Norway
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Ask him why the clerics can remain in contact with their gods.

    If it's a bull**** answer, he just doesn't want you to play a Binder.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

    Avatar by gurgleflep!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by battlemindjase View Post
    He is not banning all divine casters. we have 2 clerics in the party
    Of course you do.


    Sounds like your DM pulled out an arbitrary reason to ban binders. I mean if Ravenloft is cut off from The Void, why isnt it cut off from whatever plane the Gods reside in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Do you mean "attractive women, or spiders", or "attractive women, or attractive spiders"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    I too object to the unspecified way the imaginary, timeless, supposedly unkillable monster in the imaginary world of magic and elves and dragons aquired its martial training. Clearly that doesn't make SENSE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brova View Post
    Because if you are in a position to break the Wizard's spell component pouch and stop him from casting spells, you are also in a position to stab him in the kidneys and stop him from being alive.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Land of Cleves
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    I disagree with the DM's ruling. Vestiges don't come from a place called "The Void", wherever that is. They come from nowhere. There is no place where they exist. Any place that exists is equally different from "nowhere", so binders should be just as valid in Ravenloft as anywhere else. If anything, they'd be more likely to work than divine casters, who draw power from entities that actually do exist and have a location.

    Plus, of course, binders are great for adding a creepy vibe to a game, which should be perfect for Ravenloft.

    That said, however, he's the DM, and so unless you want to leave the game, he has final say.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

    Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Hey all, I'm another player in the same game. I'm one of the two clerics, Clr5, Ordained Champion 5, Runecaster 10. Anyways, what the GM said is that Divine Casters don't get their power from where they think they do while in Ravenloft, hence why divine magic works weirdly. Honnestly, I'm agreeing with the suggestion that the GM doesn't like Binders, although I'm not sure why. Binder is flexible, but not nearly as powerful as the two clerics, warlock, or the other classes we have.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WhamBamSam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Yeah, your DM is full of crap and just looking for an excuse to ban Binders. If I had to guess, I'd say he's looking to make ability damage/drain stick more and sees Naberius as a potential thorn in his side.

    I've actually been playing a Binder in a PBP Ravenloft game for a little over a year now. The character has been an absolute blast and fits into the setting really well.

    Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

    Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

    Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

    Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

    Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

    Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

    Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

    The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

    Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

    Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    There is so much potential for Binders in Ravenloft! When I ran a 3.5 RL game, I would have KILLED for a player to be a binder. The vestiges can be creations of the dark powers, or they can be the vestiges of all the summoned stuff that cannot return, or the ghosts of outsiders denied their place in the outer planes, or or or or ....

    Now I want to go back in time and make a Half-Vistani Binder that uses an actual Tarrokka deck to manipulate the vestiges to his will by binding them in tarot cards.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Nifft's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Lightbulb Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    IMHO a Binder is very flavor-appropriate for Ravenloft, and Binders are generally much lower power than full spellcasters (which it seems are allowed in your game).

    So yeah, it's probably just a DM who doesn't know much about the Binder.

    If possible, introduce your DM to the class tier system.

    Education is the best medicine.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Vestiges do not exist on any plane of existance. In fact they literally can't exist, which is why religious folk say they defy the natural order, because they do. This, along with being awesome flavor in what is essential 'Dracula: the campaign setting', is why a binder in Greyhawk can bind a vestige originating from the forgotten realms.
    If your dm has a problem with specific vestiges, he can simple say your binder doesn't know them. If he insists that vestiges can fake exist everywhere but Ravenloft , I call shenagins
    Last edited by A Tad Insane; 2015-10-06 at 02:01 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    I suggest sweetening the pot for your GM - if he feels the class is too powerful (for whatever reason) or that the setting should mess around with pact connection in some way, proactively suggest ways to do that. I would go with something like "even if my character makes a Good Pact, any time I use a power that has a cooldown I run the risk of falling under that vestige's influence for the next minute or two." This can be fluffed as vestiges bound within Ravenloft experiencing unnatural potency or some sort of resonance with the plane.

    Throwing in something like this should make running a Binder more fun for your GM and he'll be more likely to say yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Taveena's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Maybe difficulty expelling vestiges would make sense? What with Ravenloft's rules for Summons.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Are binders summoners? I'm familiar with the class by name but ravenloft plays by some different rules as far as effects that summons can't leave and dimension side steps (dimension door and teleport) don't work.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    +1 to: just doesn't like Binders.

    A block is placed between one place and another. Vestiges exist nowhere, so they can't be blocked. They might act differently while in Ravenloft, but they can't be stopped from entering.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

    Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

    Officially inducted into the Jr. Tormlets by LoyalPaladin.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Red Fel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    Are binders summoners? I'm familiar with the class by name but ravenloft plays by some different rules as far as effects that summons can't leave and dimension side steps (dimension door and teleport) don't work.
    Not exactly. Binders basically form pacts with beings that are not supposed to exist, entities that are everywhere and nowhere because the cosmos cannot quantify them. These entities aren't so much "summoned" as they are "influencing;" that is, they influence the Binder, who gains a fraction of their power.

    But as others have said, if the DM is concocting bogus excuses to exclude Binders, he wants to exclude Binders. Challenging that is a losing fight.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

    Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

    My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    City of Wheldrake
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    Are binders summoners? I'm familiar with the class by name but ravenloft plays by some different rules as far as effects that summons can't leave and dimension side steps (dimension door and teleport) don't work.
    If they bind the Zceryll(?) vestige from the web enhancement they're pretty great summoners what with being able to spam summons every 5 rounds for all kinds of utility.

    And they're weird pseudonatural critter versions of the things they summon, too.

    Which would just make summoning them in ravenloft even wiggier. Or the sort of thing that'd be labeled the last act of a desperate adventurer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Being cut off from whatever "the void" is should only affect a binder if he plans for floating through nothing for the rest of his life. So I'd advise explaining to your DM that you don't plan on floating through nothing for eternity and see if that helps.

    In fact, it's actually optimal to be far away from any sort of void when playing a binder since it's implied you need a surface to draw on in order to bind vestiges.

    That combined with the fact that if they're located anywhere a vestige stops being a vestige because they start existing. Since vestiges are either gods/demons who stopped existing due to being completely forgotten about or mortals who went places they never should have gone with entities they never should have met (Zceryll) and as such were totally erased from history, which means if they occupy any sort of physical, metaphysical or theoretic space they return to history, meaning they stop being vestiges.

    Isn't there a Tippyverse theory going around that because of the powerful wizards erasing all these people from history Binders have incredible power because they have so many more vestiges?
    The Grand Rudisplorking Commoner, with the Rudisplorkiest power of them all, the power of the vote!

    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    But it's okay, I'm wearing five pairs of shoes so they shouldn't be able to hit me.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    I worked out a compromise with the DM. I'd rather play the character with a few drawbacks while in Ravenloft than not play it at all. Binder is my favorite class in 3.5 and I'm going to play it, despite what he says. Also planning on abusing Use Magic Device just in case.

    :D

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Land of Cleves
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Cool, compromise is good. What did you agree on?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

    Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    City of Wheldrake
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Cool, compromise is good. What did you agree on?
    Indeed, I'm curious to know what drawbacks he thought were necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Venger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by battlemindjase View Post
    Hey everyone,

    So I am going to be playing in a 3.5 Ravenloft game. I would like to play a Binder but my DM is advising against it because he says Ravenloft exists in another dimension and is cut off, even from the Void, so I wouldn't be able to bind any Vestiges while we are there. I have never played Ravenloft so I have no idea.

    I know Ravenloft was published before Tome of Magic, so there really can't be a RAW ruling on Binders specifically. Anyone that has played it want to give their 2 cents? I would love to hear some other opinions
    as the thread's said so far, this is complete nonsense.

    binders are t3 at best. as has been mentioned, link your dm to the tier list and the binder handbook.

    when the topic is "my dm won't allow (subsystem)" and it's not tob, the issue isn't always that the gm has an irrational dislike of it, it's more likely that he's just too lazy to bother learning the rules.

    if you show him what binder does, he'll have no valid reason to ban it. if he persists... that's already a red flag.

    you have two clerics who are not nerfed at all because of course you do. I bet he thinks all clerics do is heal, and they're certainly not the most powerful class in the game.

    your dm probably thinks that the later in the run a subsystem is because power creep. this is erroneous.

    Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Yeah, your DM is full of crap and just looking for an excuse to ban Binders. If I had to guess, I'd say he's looking to make ability damage/drain stick more and sees Naberius as a potential thorn in his side.

    I've actually been playing a Binder in a PBP Ravenloft game for a little over a year now. The character has been an absolute blast and fits into the setting really well.
    I have been running this ravenloft game for a little over a year. WhamBamSam is right, binder is a great fit thematically and mechanically. you can deal adroitly with a lot of the undead monsters and find interesting ways of dealing with other problems in the module as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by battlemindjase View Post
    I worked out a compromise with the DM. I'd rather play the character with a few drawbacks while in Ravenloft than not play it at all. Binder is my favorite class in 3.5 and I'm going to play it, despite what he says. Also planning on abusing Use Magic Device just in case.

    :D
    cleric: you're fine. hell, let's have two clerics
    binder: I need to nerf this class.

    wow.

    good luck and have fun in ravenloft.
    fight my brute! it's a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition
    Iron Chef Deep Freeze: Turning Tables on Old Dishes

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Cool, compromise is good. What did you agree on?
    I want to know, too
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

    I just find sanity a rather dull affair

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    as the thread's said so far, this is complete nonsense.

    binders are t3 at best. as has been mentioned, link your dm to the tier list and the binder handbook.

    when the topic is "my dm won't allow (subsystem)" and it's not tob, the issue isn't always that the gm has an irrational dislike of it, it's more likely that he's just too lazy to bother learning the rules.

    if you show him what binder does, he'll have no valid reason to ban it. if he persists... that's already a red flag.

    you have two clerics who are not nerfed at all because of course you do. I bet he thinks all clerics do is heal, and they're certainly not the most powerful class in the game.

    your dm probably thinks that the later in the run a subsystem is because power creep. this is erroneous.



    I have been running this ravenloft game for a little over a year. WhamBamSam is right, binder is a great fit thematically and mechanically. you can deal adroitly with a lot of the undead monsters and find interesting ways of dealing with other problems in the module as well.


    cleric: you're fine. hell, let's have two clerics
    binder: I need to nerf this class.

    wow.

    good luck and have fun in ravenloft.
    Actually, that's usually true with TOB as well. Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

    Also, fun in Ravenloft. Heh.

    Also, I'll bite- what drawbacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Crake's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.
    I feel this quoteworthy, if I may?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I feel this quoteworthy, if I may?
    Of course, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Crake's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Of course, my friend.
    Coolios, thanks
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Binders are almost tailor made fluff wise for Ravenloft, so i dont see why your DM has an issue, unless he just doesnt get Binder Fluff.

    Also i want to know what the compromise is too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Venger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ravenloft and Binders

    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Actually, that's usually true with TOB as well. Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

    Also, fun in Ravenloft. Heh.

    Also, I'll bite- what drawbacks?
    Well, yeah. I didn't mean that dms never ban tob because they're too lazy to read the book, as a subsystem of course that's true. I meant it's the only subsystem where people in threads will regularly reveal their dm won't allow it because "{Scrubbed} I hate anime." incarnum's fluff is also regarded as universally terrible, but it's almost never the primary reason a dm bans it.

    I bet OP has to make some kind of caster level check or not bind his vestiges or something. "for balance."
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2015-10-17 at 03:05 PM.
    fight my brute! it's a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition
    Iron Chef Deep Freeze: Turning Tables on Old Dishes

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •