New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash, Season 2

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Flash, Season 2

I find I'm still not used to everyone in the cast knowing Flash's identity. Secret identities are common for superheroes, and I like that aspect. Watching Daredevil on Netflix, I enjoyed Murdock being Murdock. With everyone knowing Barry Allen is Flash, that sense of mystery is lost.

Why did they bother with a villain of the week? He was barely there, only to set-up foreboding doom with Zoom. Dealing with the aftermath of the previous season finale was fine, but throwing this in was a distraction. It would have been better served as its own episode with more development.

I put the odds at 70/30 when they find Robbie Amell he'll have his shirt off.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Flash, Season 2

The special effects forthe Atom Smasher were a bit off. Normally I give that a pass in tv series but compared to the rest of this show it didn't work. Villain-wise he was pretty useless and didn't get much time. They would have done better to have one episode be Barry trying to fix things on his own and getting his father out of prison and one dealing with AS and how Barry needs his team. Not to mention how Barry casually lures him into a death trap. I would expect that from Arrow-Ollie, not Barry. I'm a bit surprised at Henry's decision to run off. Claiming that Barry didn't need him so he should leave makes no sense. Henry would want to spend time with his son, Barry wants to spend time with his father and neither of those things means Barry can't be the Flash as well.
    As for everybody knowing Barry is the Flash, I expected it after seeing how things were handled in Arrow. It doesn't really bother me too much. At some point people will find out. I just hope they don't overuse the 'hero out and about, support team back at base' formula if they make more series set in this universe

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I like that they know. It as actually really annoying that they were keeping it secret from the inner circle.

Apart form that, isn't Atom Smasher a good guy in the comics?

And yeah, hoping we find Ronnie alive and well before the seasons over. (I did like the nod to Grod however.) Also, seriously Barry, take a karate class or something. You NEED to learn how to make E=MC2 work for you. You should not be loosing to guys like that.

Oh, yeah, and handing Henry the idiot ball there at the end. Seriously dude, your a medical doctor. How do you not think that could come in handy dealing with figuring out massive physical changes on meta humans and patching your son up when he get's hut? c
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2015-10-07 at 02:00 PM.
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Well he is 15 years out of date and out of practice. He might want to polish his skills on some less important people before working on Barry.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Apart form that, isn't Atom Smasher a good guy in the comics?
    Well, he was bad guy in first comics and it was brief.
    So any appearance of Wally West, who I hope will not be New 52 and more like the one we used to know and love despite being black. I don't mind him being but I do mind getting angry at erasing him from existence in Flashpoint and his family .
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

As I recall his father was a villain didn't know Atom Smasher started off as a villain
    Spoiler
    Show
    you never know maybe he survived that radiation shower?

So what exactly happened?

Spoiler
    Show
    Did that wormhole drag several people from their alternate realities and into the Flash Prime?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

RE: Atom Smasher
    He was originally from pre-Crisis Earth 2 - named Nuklon, with Infinity Inc, and wore a ridiculous mohawk. He was the adopted son of the original Atom (and I mean Al Pratt). He changed his name when he joined the JSA proper during the Crisis era. He briefly became an antagonist (not a full-on villain) during that run when he joined up with Black Adam. If he's shown up in New52, I missed it.

I haven't had a chance to double-check, but I would have SWORN Al Rothstein was on the list of "People I Killed" by Dr. Wells during Season 1. Sorry, there's just been too many DVD's for me the last month to keep up...

EDIT: Episode 7, Blackout
    "Jake Davenport, Daria Kim, Ralph Dibny, Al Rothstein, Grant Emerson, Will Everett, Bea DeCosta, Ronnie Raymond..."
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2015-10-09 at 07:23 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

We're formally introduced to Jay Garrick, Flash of Earth 2, so naturally he needs to have his shirt off for half the time he's on camera.

Noticeably annoying no one suggested Ronnie didn't die but got pulled into Earth 2.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Noticeably annoying no one suggested Ronnie didn't die but got pulled into Earth 2.
    *facepalm* Also annoying is how that possibility didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    A better episode than last time but I am concerned with everyone's sudden calm acceptance of casually killing the baddies. That's such a shift from last season and it really is out of character for pretty much everyone. I'm not sure it is worse than locking everyone up in a 10-foot bare cells with absolutely no amenities, potentially forever but it is quite cruel.

Apart from that, fun to see Earth-2 and Wells. I hope we see more of him, even if he won't be Eobewells.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

New character could be an interesting addition to the team, but I'm worried her entire purpose is going to become the new "don't tell Iris" to lightningrod any mandatory CW drama.
    Now with half the calories!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Forgot to mention: Monty Python reference.
    It's about time they did one - nerds, ime, like quoting MP.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    A better episode than last time but I am concerned with everyone's sudden calm acceptance of casually killing the baddies. That's such a shift from last season and it really is out of character for pretty much everyone. I'm not sure it is worse than locking everyone up in a 10-foot bare cells with absolutely no amenities, potentially forever but it is quite cruel.

Apart from that, fun to see Earth-2 and Wells. I hope we see more of him, even if he won't be Eobewells.
    Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    We're supposed to make the connection that Wells of Earth-2 is Zoom. It works both ways if he is or isn't and is Honest True Good Guy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    We're supposed to make the connection that Wells of Earth-2 is Zoom. It works both ways if he is or isn't and is Honest True Good Guy.
    Spoiler
    Show

That'as assuming that was Earth 2 of course.

Anyway, Zoom is obviously going to be an alternate reality Barry, so we can have that bit of existential crisis. He is the Reverse Flash to alternate reality Wells' Flash, for lack of a better term.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

We're formally introduced to Jay Garrick, Flash of Earth 2, so naturally he needs to have his shirt off for half the time he's on camera.

I wanted to yell at the tv when they didn't know what to do about Jay's speedlessness. "Put him in Well's chair!" I wanted to say. But you know tvs don't listen.

It's the same thing that happened to Wells/Thawn--he went to a parallel earth and/or timeline which somehow cut him off from the speed force. He still has the physiological changes, though. Wells gave himself short amounts of speed by sitting on a futuristic generator affixed to his wheelchair. Jay is in the same situation or at least a similar one.

So again I say, "Put him in the chair!" But you know internets don't listen.

Another point: I like how confident and mentor-y Jay is because he's been doing this for...TWO WHOLE YEARS! Wow! Careful you don't break a hip old man! *snicker* You have to love how youth-obsessed CW is.
    Saying that X isn't overpowered because it can be countered in contrived manner Y does not prove that it isn't overpowered. You've proved that it has weaknesses. Congratulations. The state of being overpowered, however, is not an absence of weaknesses but a surplus of strength beyond what would be commiserate with your weaknesses.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Speaking of other writing weirdness: did Jay say he could run faster than light in the first round of tests? And Kaitlain didn't notice?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I think he said that he could run almost as fast as light? But more importantly, this is the second episode in a row where Barry pretty much murders the villain of the week and nobody says anything to him about it.
    Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Jay said he can run at near light speed, and that Zoom is faster than him... Barry is nowhere near that fast, if Jay is correct, so... At first I thought that maybe if Zoom comes to Barry's world, he will be cut from the speed force like Jay, but didn't we see him come through the rift to instruct Sand Demon, and he was still doing that face speed-blur?

Yeah, the casual killing of metas these last two episodes is a bit jarring, considering how much s*** they gave Oliver for it... At least mention it, say that there was no other way or whatever, but nobody cares, while the Green Arrow is the one that is getting mildly annoyed at his sister's violent streak.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Jay said he can run at near light speed, and that Zoom is faster than him... Barry is nowhere near that fast, if Jay is correct, so... At first I thought that maybe if Zoom comes to Barry's world, he will be cut from the speed force like Jay, but didn't we see him come through the rift to instruct Sand Demon, and he was still doing that face speed-blur?

Yeah, the casual killing of metas these last two episodes is a bit jarring, considering how much s*** they gave Oliver for it... At least mention it, say that there was no other way or whatever, but nobody cares, while the Green Arrow is the one that is getting mildly annoyed at his sister's violent streak.
    How did Barry travel in time last season? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that speed-based time travel in DC required superluminality.
    Granted, he hasn't shown any ability to go near this fast on a regular basis.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    How did Barry travel in time last season? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that speed-based time travel in DC required superluminality.
    Granted, he hasn't shown any ability to go near this fast on a regular basis.
    Yeah, he normally has to use the Cosmic Treadmill to travel time -- but not always. Last season had him hitting MACH 2 in the accelerator and then colliding with a hydrogen particle, which most likely WAS traveling at-or-near lightspeed. That supposedly produced enough energy to open the time portal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Of course Jay is faster than Barry. Jay had to deal with an evil speedster that presumably wasn't helping him along and his own regular rogues along with them, and it looks like he didn't have a team to back him up either. In a situation like that you either git gud or you die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

22. - Top - End - #22

New episode!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not a big fan of this one. Cop girl is obviously Iris 2.0. It's lame. It was nice to see Captain Cold back but come on, I get the guy is a good guy and promised not to kill anyone but he really really should of just iced daddy dearest over when he was like "yo I put a bomb in your sister's head help me or she dies."

Seriously, consider how useless Captain Dad was once the bomb was removed. It really wouldn't take Cold that long to kill him and be done with it. I guess it could be a deadman's switch though.

Anyone who knows Flash stuff know who the mystery man who appeared out of the Flash Cannon is? Also "Haha, Flash Cannon, as in cannon the shooter but it's a reference to canon the literature term."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New episode!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not a big fan of this one. Cop girl is obviously Iris 2.0. It's lame. It was nice to see Captain Cold back but come on, I get the guy is a good guy and promised not to kill anyone but he really really should of just iced daddy dearest over when he was like "yo I put a bomb in your sister's head help me or she dies."

Seriously, consider how useless Captain Dad was once the bomb was removed. It really wouldn't take Cold that long to kill him and be done with it. I guess it could be a deadman's switch though.

Anyone who knows Flash stuff know who the mystery man who appeared out of the Flash Cannon is? Also "Haha, Flash Cannon, as in cannon the shooter but it's a reference to canon the literature term."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thought it was Earth 2's Dr. Wells (aka Zoom)? Looked like him.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thought it was Earth 2's Dr. Wells (aka Zoom)? Looked like him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He looked a little old and his eyes where kinda sunken. So I'm not sure.

Also come on, Zoom isn't Earth-2 Wells. That'd be awful. Zoom is Earth-2 Barry.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Captain Cold freeze the lasers?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did Captain Cold freeze the lasers?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeeees it's awful v_v

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

At least the males kept their shirts on. If they follow the pattern of last season, next week expect someone shirtless and alternate such episodes until the latter half of the season. Anyone know if Robbie Amell is on next week?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Barry is fast enough to catch a bullet, he couldn't dodge the freeze ray? Once he found out about the hostage, neither he nor CC thought to just have Barry superspeed-frisk Daddy to take the detonator? Or even just take it once the detonator was out in the open? Freezing lasers?

*repeats his mantra of "comicbook logic, comicbook logic, comicbook logic. ommmmmmmm"*

Other than having to remind myself that scriptwriters don't/can't think sensibly about these things, I'm still enjoying the show.

29. - Top - End - #29

PirateGuy

watching it right now and i have to say

Spoiler: RAGE
    Show
    SCREW YOU SISCO! YOU TRACKED A GOLD GUN WITH ULTRA-VIOLET LIGHT?!?! THAT.IS.NOT.HOW.HEAT.WORKS!!!

Ok i know these shows have a lot of dumb 'science' like this, but this one rubbed me the wrong way big time.

Dumb sci fi science mutilations grumble grumble

Ok im good. carry on y'all
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    watching it right now and i have to say

Spoiler: RAGE
    Show
    SCREW YOU SISCO! YOU TRACKED A GOLD GUN WITH ULTRA-VIOLET LIGHT?!?! THAT.IS.NOT.HOW.HEAT.WORKS!!!

Ok i know these shows have a lot of dumb 'science' like this, but this one rubbed me the wrong way big time.

Dumb sci fi science mutilations grumble grumble

Ok im good. carry on y'all

comicbook logic, comicbook logic, comicbook logic. ommmmmmmm