New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Alignment Handbook Super-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FocusWolf413 View Post
    If anyone has a good Camus quote for NE, I would appreciate it.
    Camus is CG, so...what do you need, exactly? Pointed criticism of horrible people?

Also, I got swordsage'd, and my own guess at what you wanted has already been filled in, so...Jade Phoenix Mage'd?
    Last edited by ThinkMinty; 2015-10-07 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by linklele
    Look, a strange boy just popped into my room asking for your soul...
    Avatar by linklele, featuring a strange boy. Full signature is here.

2. - Top - End - #32

Should I add a section on real-world philosophy? I wrote my guide with things that are definitely CG rather than just things people want to be CG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    Should I add a section on real-world philosophy? I wrote my guide with things that are definitely CG rather than just things people want to be CG.
    I suggest asking a mod about it first. Real-world religion and politics are forbidden topics on this board; it's certainly debatable whether philosophy falls under the same umbrella, but if it were me...I'd rather ask before posting than post before asking, especially on something that runs parallel to forbidden topics.

I mean, it might be fine, but wouldn't it be better to know for sure before you posted it?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I suggest asking a mod about it first. Real-world religion and politics are forbidden topics on this board; it's certainly debatable whether philosophy falls under the same umbrella, but if it were me...I'd rather ask before posting than post before asking, especially on something that runs parallel to forbidden topics.

I mean, it might be fine, but wouldn't it be better to know for sure before you posted it?
    True. The basics are that I wanted to clarify what does and doesn't count, but I also like the guide as-is because it doesn't really tell you what to do, just what's going on. I pointed out that oppression takes more forms than just governments, that should be enough if I bold parts of it.
    Last edited by ThinkMinty; 2015-10-08 at 12:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    It's under construction, but it looks like a Lawful Neutral handbook just popped up.
    That would be me. I have added links to other handbooks in it, in an orderly fashion.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the Lawful Good handbook too preachy and idealistic so far? I want the style of the guide to represent those aspects of the alignment, the way the others are written vaguely in character, but I also don't want to end up presenting the alignment too narrowly or being too restrictive about it.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    Is the Lawful Good handbook too preachy and idealistic so far? I want the style of the guide to represent those aspects of the alignment, the way the others are written vaguely in character, but I also don't want to end up presenting the alignment too narrowly or being too restrictive about it.
    Lawful Good has room in it. Simon Pegg's character in Hot Fuzz was very Lawful Good, with around equal emphasis on both, for example.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, but I think that character fits pretty well with what's already written there; his quote about how he decided to become a cop ("I had to prove to myself that the Law could be proper and righteous and for the good of humankind") is pretty much exactly what the Law and/as Good section talks about. My worry is more about the idealistic tone excluding some of LG's harsher incarnations in their entirety rather than merely dissuading their more ridiculous, campaign-wrecking extremes. I think it's something that can be addressed when I start posting archetypes, but wanted to get some input on the general tone just in case.

EDIT: Also, how many posts should I really probably save for archetypes? Two seems safe to me, but other people seem to be reserving more. I guess it can't hurt to have more reserved to be safe, but it'd feel pretty silly the longer they wait to be filled with content.
    Last edited by Zrak; 2015-10-08 at 03:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Maybe I should write a TN handbook...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

10. - Top - End - #40

RedSorcererGirl

Thumbs up Re: Alignment Handbook Super-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Do it! I'm in the process of writing a Neutral Good handbook. With the contribution of TN and NG, all 9 alignments will be covered at least once.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser1 View Post
    Do it! I'm in the process of writing a Neutral Good handbook. With the contribution of TN and NG, all 9 alignments will be covered at least once.
    Once it's got a thread, let me know and I'll make sure it's linked up in the OP.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #42

RedSorcererGirl

Thumbs up Re: Alignment Handbook Super-Thread

Once it's got a thread, let me know and I'll make sure it's linked up in the OP.
    Neutral Good ("Selfless Service with Blessings to All") has its thread now: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Handbook-lt-3

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

That Neutral Good handbook has shown up.

EDIT: Swordsage'd by the creator.
    Last edited by Draconium; 2015-10-09 at 06:00 PM.
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

And...added. Now all that's missing is True Neutral.

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #45

I just finished reading all of these. Well done folks. :)

The one problem now is that they all make such compelling arguments as to why their alignment is the coolest. Now I want to be them all.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by tadkins View Post
    I just finished reading all of these. Well done folks. :)

The one problem now is that they all make such compelling arguments as to why their alignment is the coolest. Now I want to be them all.
    Well, you should start with the best. That would be Lawful Neutral. Lawful neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Please. NE is where its at. You get to do as you please, live in a fairly ordered society, and screw the rules when they keep you from what is rightfully yours (which is everything).
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Well, you should start with the best. That would be Lawful Neutral. Lawful neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot.
    To be frank, I've always leaned toward the chaotic side of things. Rules and tradition are just stifling at best. Lawful Neutral folks have always been to me the ultimate buzzkillers.

I will say this though, while I do lean toward chaotic, your guide has inspired me to be at least a smarter chaotic. The "you shouldn't park there" sign example was definitely something to inspire and think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Please. NE is where its at. You get to do as you please, live in a fairly ordered society, and screw the rules when they keep you from what is rightfully yours (which is everything).
    Evil is always interesting, seductive, and tempting. Even the most Good folks can't help but be fascinated by Evil sometimes. What kind of mindset drove the most horrible people in our history? It's interesting to study people like Bathory, Hitler, Stalin and the like.

One thing that might restrain someone from Evil is knowing that its proponents are oftentimes huge douchebags. Do you really want to be associated with folks like that?
    Last edited by tadkins; 2015-10-09 at 11:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Morally speaking, Neutral Good is the best alignment.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Pfft, who cares about those?
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

To be frank, I've always leaned toward the chaotic side of things. Rules and tradition are just stifling at best. Lawful Neutral folks have always been to me the ultimate buzzkillers.
    You do realise your local bartender is probably a Lawful Neutral, right?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

I imagine bartenders in general are more on the True Neutral side of things. Of course, I think most people tend to be True Neutral, with personalities extreme enough to actually qualify for Lawful/Chaotic/Good/Evil being rare (or at least rarer than 1/9 of all people).

My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I would expect any highly-organized society to have a generally more lawful tendency, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    I would expect any highly-organized society to have a generally more lawful tendency, but that's just me.
    To be clear, we are talking about alcoholic beverages here, right? Substances infamous for their ability to lower the inbiber's inhibitions, and cause their mood to swing wildly, and the fists even more so? Oh yes, I'm sure any society of a particularly Lawful bent would totally have such a thing, and thus a need for bartenders.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

To be clear, we are talking about alcoholic beverages here, right? Substances infamous for their ability to lower the inbiber's inhibitions, and cause their mood to swing wildly, and the fists even more so? Oh yes, I'm sure any society of a particularly Lawful bent would totally have such a thing, and thus a need for bartenders.
    Nope, I was referring to the "most people" thing. Though now that you mention it, there must be a good reason why not most people are staying a tavern, and of those in the tavers, not most people who drink end up in jail.

Not to mention: Drunken Masters
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

26. - Top - End - #56

NG folks do seem like the most pleasant types. :)

You do realise your local bartender is probably a Lawful Neutral, right?
    That's possible. I was more speaking of my experiences with my military friend. Definitely the epitome of LG/LN. Likes to tell me why my fun and wacky antics and ideas are bad/won't work, and scold me when I do something wild.

I imagine bartenders in general are more on the True Neutral side of things. Of course, I think most people tend to be True Neutral, with personalities extreme enough to actually qualify for Lawful/Chaotic/Good/Evil being rare (or at least rarer than 1/9 of all people).
    Does the personality really have to be extreme to qualify for those? From most of the examples I've read, it feels like most people can have such tendencies toward an alignment but be, for the most part, pretty normal.
    Last edited by tadkins; 2015-10-10 at 03:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Orderly channelling of hedonistic impulses which would otherwise go unchecked is entirely a Lawful Neutral purpose and goal. You may not be aware of a Lawful Neutral society that exists among bartenders for that reason. The Green Alehorn Corps exists to promote order and beverages throughout the multiverse.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    I'm in the process of that (I'll likely be posting in a little less than two days), but go ahead if you want to, every topic benefits from a plurality of voices.
    Last edited by Seto; 2015-10-10 at 05:38 AM.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

29. - Top - End - #59

The Green Alehorn Corps
    Is that a real D&D organization? Sounds interesting, couldn't find any info though. What book/material does it come from?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Is that a real D&D organization? Sounds interesting, couldn't find any info though. What book/material does it come from?
    Pretty sure that was a Green Lantern Corps reference...