New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Paranoia: Good intro missions?

WARNING: This information is for citizens Ultraviolet clearance or higher. Any citizen of Violet clearance or lower should immediately report for [CLASSIFIED].

To make a long story short, I'm looking to introduce a relatively large group of people to Paranoia (25th anniversary edition [although XP is close enough to use as well]) in about a month. Depending on the size of the group, I may recruit a second GM to help me manage the troubleshooter teams. Here's my problem: I'm a little short on mission ideas. Sure there's the missions in the back of the book, but I've got a few experienced players who will be expiring along with the newbies and I want something new for them as well. Do any of you fine, upstanding citizens have mission recommendations for me?
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Paranoia: Good intro missions?

I've always liked the missions where Friend Computer asks you to do something extremely prosaic, with a distopian twist. As unimportant as the troubleshooters are, how could they be trusted to do anything interesting?

Friend Computer feels a little warm. Your mission is to turn down the heat a bit. [sends party to nuclear-augmented-volcano on verge of meltdown]

You are perfectly suited for this task - To fix a leak in the S.I.N.K. [Colosseum sized plumbing facility, overrun with mutant saboteurs]

Red-clearance exterminators wanted for mouse problem in food storage [Mouse civilization has created adorably tiny war machines, demands rodent rights]

Milk run! [80 foot cows are much more efficient]

You have won the sweepstakes, a lifetime supply of bouncing bubble beverage! Claim your prize! [impossible to penetrate bureaucracy]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

An infrared factory working on a new form of ration cylinder has caught fire. You, as Red clearance firefighters, are to go extinguish the flames. [[Note: Fire is Red, Orange and even sometimes Yellow.]] A selection of mandatory experimental safety jumpsuits have been provided for this task. [[The jumpsuits have been labelled "flammable" "inflammable", "unflammable", "flannable", "noninflammable", "nonunflammable", "nonflammable" and "nonflannable".]]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.crd-sector.com/uv/pick-n-mix.htm

Scroll down to 'Mission Outlines'

http://home.comcast.net/~tirdun/paranoia/missions.html

I also have some missions that I ran laying around somewhere. I'll post them if I find them. Don't hold your breath though, my life can get busy at times.

Ah, found it. Don't necromancy the old thread.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Action-Report
    Last edited by Telok; 2015-10-10 at 03:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I find a good intro to Paranoia is to take the plot of a recent movie that most players likely have seen, then add Alpha Complex twists as necessary. For example, I've ran Harr-Y-PTR and the Philosopher's Clone a while ago, and you can have a field day with any superhero movie.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

These have all been great suggestions so far. Really looking forward to trying some of these out on the new players.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I've often found that the 'sandwich delivery' mission is pretty much the best intro to the whole concept.

It runs like this:

Backstory: A high-clearance clone (probably around the Indigo or Violet) knew that he'd be working late on a major research project, so he ordered a sandwich from a green-clearance caterer to be delivered at a specific time.

The normal caterer was busy, but the place processed the order anyway because you don't NOT process a high-ranking clone's order.

In order to get the order through, the caterer pulls in favors and assigns a Red-clearance Troubleshooter team to be the food delivery crew. Since the original order was high-clearance, they don't tell the Troubleshooters what's in the box. Just that it absolutely, critically, must be delivered by 1800 Hours.

A bunch of secret societies overhear that a critical object is being delivered to a guy working on super-secret research, and all assume that the box contains a powerful tech device of some kind. They all secretly assign a Troubleshooter to the team being assembled to get it. Those that can't get someone on the team plan ambushes to acquire the devices.

The players are called into a briefing room, handed a mission critical box, and told to get it somewhere by a certain time. Each of them is also secretly told to steal the box's contents and replace them with some other object (a bomb, a spy device, a junked bot brain, a ransom note written in code). The important thing is, every player is trying to sneak a new thing into the box, which other players will then try to steal.

And everything goes from there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

About two months from now, a great mission is this.

An overweight red-clearance clone, likely a communist, has been going around loyal clones' dormitories via the ceiling ducts, and has left suspicious packages in these dorms. He is generally accompanied by a four-legged transbot with a red-clearance lamp on its face. Unknown traitors have been spotted placing large green-clearance cones near these places, and been singing treasonous songs about pudding. Your job is to confiscate or destroy all these packages, and apprehend or destroy this communist. If there's trouble, shoot it.

If ran well, it can take the players several hours to catch on what they're actually doing here

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it fun to put the players in situations that help drive home the realities of the PARANOIA society, such as sending the repair team to replace a shorted out wire. That happens to be coated in green insulation, behind a big yellow capacitor, which in turn is contained in a large orange power junction box, in the middle of a big white room....and then make sure you execute any character who's player happens to be using dice that are color coded above their characters security level.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Christmas is fun. First the low-clearance clones have to find a tree (white snow, green tree), get it back to AC, get it inside and get it set up.
    Then they have to decorate it with multicolored baubles and lights.
    Then they have to sing carols; how many can you sing before you get to the religious ones?

If that isn't a recipe for disaster I don't know what is.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Paint a hallway red. The hallway is currently green. You get a small red wagon for all of you to fit on so you don't violate clearance.

Protip: blood is red, and can make the floor ok.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by upogsi View Post
    Protip: blood is red, and can make the floor ok.
    Protip: damaging The Computer's (Praise The Computer!) property will get you in trouble. Your fellow troubleshooters are in fact property of The Computer (Praise The Computer!).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Protip: damaging The Computer's (Praise The Computer!) property will get you in trouble. Your fellow troubleshooters are in fact property of The Computer (Praise The Computer!).
    Execute the commie traitor and use his blood. Efficency is always appreciated by the computer, if not by the clone you just whacked.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Citizen, blood is unhygienic. Please consult your hygiene officer before applying blood to Alpha Complex facilities.