New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Overwatch: HYPETRAIN HAS LEFT THE STATION Spring 2016 Release Confirmed!

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    I think the problem with what you want is it would lead to boring PotGs. Sure lucio pressing q can impact the game a lot, but that doesn't mean it is a good highlight.
    Pressing q randomly when nothing is going on, I agree that would be dull and shouldn't make it. But pressing q in the middle of a pitched battle and the shields absorbing a ton of enemy fire, I don't see how that could be boring unless the players hate firefights, in which case why are they even playing this game?

@AgentPaper: I'm in favor of Reinhardt ult moments making it too, if they involve protecting or capturing the objective. Now tell me how many actually made PotG, rather than Reaper/McRee/Pharah walking up and shooting all the fish you placed in the barrel for them getting it. Yawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Overwatch: HYPETRAIN HAS LEFT THE STATION Spring 2016 Release Confirmed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w2-3Dn9PGg

Hanzo v Genji Animated Short

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w2-3Dn9PGg

Hanzo v Genji Animated Short
    Looks awesome. It makes me hope that they're planning on building out any single-player or coop content for the game.

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Looks awesome. It makes me hope that they're planning on building out any single-player or coop content for the game.
    I know! It's like, they have all this rich lore and setting and characterization, yet they seem perfectly happy wasting it all on "and then the Overwatch shot each other in the face repeatedly forever."
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I know! It's like, they have all this rich lore and setting and characterization, yet they seem perfectly happy wasting it all on "and then the Overwatch shot each other in the face repeatedly forever."
    Actually, I would argue that they don't actually have any strong lore, at least not yet. What they do have is strong characters, and everything we've seen so far has only served to further reinforce those characters and to try and make us care about them more. The actual story of what's going on in the background is fairly simplistic in comparison, which makes sense because all it's really there for is to give a backdrop for the characters to play off of.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Actually, I would argue that they don't actually have any strong lore, at least not yet. What they do have is strong characters, and everything we've seen so far has only served to further reinforce those characters and to try and make us care about them more. The actual story of what's going on in the background is fairly simplistic in comparison, which makes sense because all it's really there for is to give a backdrop for the characters to play off of.
    It's not fully fleshed out yet, sure, but the morsels they've provided have gotten me interested in the major setting events independent of the characters too. For example, the Omnic Crisis that is touched on in several backstories (Zenyatta, Bastion, Zarya, Torjbjorn) as well as the questionable morality of the Vishkar Corporation (Symmetra, Lucio) and the shadowy Talon terrorist group who seem to be orchestrating it all (Widowmaker, and possibly Reaper and Soldier 76), plus the other unexplained phenomena causing problems in the setting (Mei, D. Va, Winston.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's not fully fleshed out yet, sure, but the morsels they've provided have gotten me interested in the major setting events independent of the characters too. For example, the Omnic Crisis that is touched on in several backstories (Zenyatta, Bastion, Zarya, Torjbjorn) as well as the questionable morality of the Vishkar Corporation (Symmetra, Lucio) and the shadowy Talon terrorist group who seem to be orchestrating it all (Widowmaker, and possibly Reaper and Soldier 76), plus the other unexplained phenomena causing problems in the setting (Mei, D. Va, Winston.)
    They're setting up factions and mini-conflicts, much like LoL does with the nations of Runeterra and the "Friends" and "Rivals" categories. We have the Omnics (Zenyatta, Bastion) and their allies (Genji) and enemies (Torbjorn, Zarya, D.Va). We have Talon (Widowmaker, Reaper), and their enemies (Winston, Tracer, Soldier). We have Vishkar (Symmetra) and its enemies (Lucio). And then we have the oddballs of Mei (foreshadowing some climate issues) and Junkrat and Roadhog (who arguably fit into the anti-Omnic grouping as well, given how the Australian Outback was irradiated in the first place). Finally we have the Shimada brothers.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2016-05-17 at 12:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

I kinda doubt they ever flesh the story out that much. Honestly, it's for the best that they don't. I don't really trust Blizzard's ability to tell a story anymore. When was the last time they told a good one? Warcraft 3?

I'm not really dissing Blizzard. They are good at creating interesting (if stereotypical) characters and settings, and great at making interesting game mechanics. Their games are usually very polished.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2016-05-17 at 01:11 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249

Diablo: "Demons over there, kill they ass"

My motives are admittedly a bit selfish - I want them to flesh out Overwatch, not because I truly believe Blizzard to be paragons of storytelling in games (I don't think they are either to be honest), but because doing so might increase the chances that we get more game modes in Overwatch than silly little Domination and Payload.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

If you sit down and try to compile the information all wiki-pedia it really is very thin. What they've done a great job of is creating an evocative style to environments & characters, while dropping lots of hints at there being something bigger out there. It goes a long way to letting your imagination fill in the gaps and give a real feel of there being this fleshed out, detailed world.

As someone who GMs a lot of tabeltop games:

If someone said "I wish there was an Overwatch RPG out there, so we could make our own heroes and explore the setting" I'd probably shrug and say that kind off stuff isn't out there. I wouldn't know where to begin homebrewing something Overwatch-specific either.

If someone said "Man. Overwatch is cool. Let's play a campaign in <Generic RPG system> about ex-Overwatch agents" I could honestly probably wing something. They've given enough on the tone and general feel of their universe you could create stories to fit with them, even if you're supplying all the detail.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2016-05-17 at 11:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    If you sit down and try to compile the information all wiki-pedia it really is very thin. What they've done a great job of is creating an evocative style to environments & characters, while dropping lots of hints at there being something bigger out there. It goes a long way to letting your imagination fill in the gaps and give a real feel of there being this fleshed out, detailed world.

As someone who GMs a lot of tabeltop games:

If someone said "I wish there was an Overwatch RPG out there, so we could make our own heroes and explore the setting" I'd probably shrug and say that kind off stuff isn't out there. I wouldn't know where to begin homebrewing something Overwatch-specific either.

If someone said "Man. Overwatch is cool. Let's play a campaign in <Generic RPG system> about ex-Overwatch agents" I could honestly probably wing something. They've given enough on the tone and general feel of their universe you could create stories to fit with them, even if you're supplying all the detail.
    It's a character-focused game; "I want to roll up a random Overwatch agent and explore the setting" would indeed be unappealing. But a game mode where the Overwatch agents actually band together to take down {global threat} would be a ton of fun. I would love a PvE Horde mode in this game, but for that to exist, we would need enemies so powerful that the it would warrant all these badasses joining forces. Battleborn does something similar by dint of their setting having a big bad.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I may be in the minority opinion, but I actually think a more fully realized universe is actually a drawback when making a good game setting. Even the most exhaustively complete game settings (Elder Scrolls) are replete with contradictions and continuity issues and, dare I say, stupid crap. Whereas by leaving more to the imagination, each player is able to project onto the setting their own desires and expectations, which will invariably feel more gratifying and fun than anything that a writer could explicitly state.

One of the reasons that many novels don't feel right when they're adapted to film is that the natively more lossy format of text puts more of the story into the power of the reader to imagine than what video will permit, and so when a particular job of casting or acting doesn't live up to our expectations or hopes, we feel betrayed, or at least disappointed.

So embrace the ephemeral, gauze-like quality to the setting. It's there to give spark to your imagination, not supplant it with the imagination of the designers. Less really can be more.
    Last edited by The_Jackal; 2016-05-17 at 03:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253

I'm fine with leaving our possibilities open, but devising all these cool characters who canonically worked together at various points and then leaving it at "Okay, now go shoot each other in the face" smacks of a missed opportunity.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm fine with leaving our possibilities open, but devising all these cool characters who canonically worked together at various points and then leaving it at "Okay, now go shoot each other in the face" smacks of a missed opportunity.
    If you've ever read comic books or watched professional wrestling, you're certainly familiar with the concept of characters 'turning face', 'turning heel', or merely making alliances of convenience. How many Magneto-Xmen team-ups/break-ups have there been? But this is all irrelevant in any case. The purpose of the game is not to realize the lore, the purpose of the lore is to spice up the game. And when you compare the backgrounds offered for Overwatch compared to those offered by Battleborn or Team Fortress, I think it's a particularly perverse turn of logic to suggest that because they've put more effort into making a compelling story for their characters, they're somehow now in the wrong because the gameplay doesn't reflect the story. (Not sure that thing I just said grammatically parses into a proper sentence, but you get my point).

15. - Top - End - #255

I never said "they're in the wrong." I just think it's a way to make a good game even better. I'd greatly enjoy a PvE challenge mode where you need a balanced comp (or an unbalanced, yet extremely skilled) one to win.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm guessing there will be a PvE mode or two eventually, but it won't happen much faster than it did for TF2. Then again, Blizzard has even more resources to throw at development, and there's no way this game won't have a ton of funds to work with...
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

17. - Top - End - #257

It had better happen faster - for TF2 it took about 5 years to get a horde mode.

I imagine they're holding off on it for a while to keep the PvP lobbies packed and vibrant, since adding PvE is a great way to add life to the game down the line.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #258
    Banned

What platform is everyone thinking of buying on? I'll probably go with PC.

19. - Top - End - #259

Most of my IRL friends are going PC so that's what I'll be doing as well. I didn't have any performance issues during the beta.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    What platform is everyone thinking of buying on? I'll probably go with PC.
    Elitist PC gamer snob here. Hey, console guys, I respect your life choices, but you are paying more money for less performance. Just sayin'.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

It stands as a testament to Blizzard's ability to optimize their games that my fossil of a computer can run Overwatch without any real issues.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    It stands as a testament to Blizzard's ability to optimize their games that my fossil of a computer can run Overwatch without any real issues.
    That's because the game was optimized to run reasonably well on current generation consoles, which in all probability do not out-perform your fossil of a computer. Basically, the GPU of an Xbox one is roughly the equivalent of a GeForce GTX 750 or AMD Radeon 7850. Those are both mid-market cards released in 2012 or so, and the CPU innovations in that timeframe have been towards higher core counts over higher clock rate, so your CPU has likely not aged particularly poorly, and finally, apart from very slick graphics, Overwatch is not a very technologically innovative or computationally demanding game. Which is really what I love about Blizzard: They don't push the envelope, they just emboss and embroider it and just generally make it look slick as all get-out.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Blizzard has always been really d*** good at keeping hardware requirements low, regardless of whether or not consoles are involved
    Last edited by Artanis; 2016-05-19 at 09:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I'm a console peasant, but getting it on PC anyway. While i'm one of the weirdos who finds FPS games more comfortable on controller then keyboard and mouse, it didn't feel too bad (snipers aside, but I can count the amount of games I've enjoyed sniping on one hand), most of my buddies will be getting it on PC, and worst comes to worst I can use a controller anyway *shrug*

But yeah, glad to hear they're keeping the requirements low, game is pretty enough as is.

25. - Top - End - #265

Planetar

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Intel core 2 CPU, 2.4 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Radeon 6700 series 1 GB memory.

Runs clean and smooth.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That Hollywood address a) is a pair of cross streets, so I'm assuming it's a gathering of sorts, and b) is in about 12 hours. Anyone in the vicinity who can do a report?

A quick Google search reveals it to be life size statues of Tracer (In Hollywood), Genji (in Paris), and Pharah (in Busan), all modeled to look like action figures in their packaging.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2016-05-20 at 03:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Does Roadhog talk in-game? I just read 'Going Legit', and his only dialogue appears to be ellipses (though Junkrat can apparently understand him perfectly).

29. - Top - End - #269

Planetar

Yes, personal theory is that for everyone else what he's saying is thoroughly muffled by the gas mask, but for Junkrat or you as the player you can understand him since he is actually making intelligible thoughts.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Does Roadhog talk in-game? I just read 'Going Legit', and his only dialogue appears to be ellipses (though Junkrat can apparently understand him perfectly).
    Yeah, I think he talks a bit less than most, but he definitely talks.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.