New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Re: Overlord is Evil done smart

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    I had the distinct pleasure of watching a show titled "Overlord" after some interesting talks with fellow players. Despite everything, I found myself enthralled by it, and I want to speak of it. If you want my personal recommendation? Here, take it! Just don't judge his immortality too harshly, and you might enjoy the other aspects of the show.

Now, what do I mean, "Overlord is Evil done smart"? I mean, most "Evil" is actually played really, really, insidiously stupidly (hell they even mock it with a whole episode devoted to wiping out this Stupid Evil). And, I believe this is actually a smarter variant of the alignment.

To be clear, I am talking about the main character (who's name I can not recall for the life of me, I think one of his names is "Momon").

Why is he Evil? [Obvious spoiler alert, but the true spoiler has been put in to its own sub-spoiler section. The rest of this is vague enough that it's not really spoilers, but still is just background knowledge to "why he's Evil" rather than why he's "Smart Evil", which was what the thread is about.]
    Spoiler: Why is he Evil?
    Show
    Time and again, he shows (and tells) that he's entirely out for himself (also, he kinda says he's out to rule the world)...but doesn't let anyone who's not subservient know that. The one time he acted in what could be considered true kindness was when he saved a village without hope of reward, though one could argue that it was simply because he felt he had a debt to a friend, as he was going to just not do anything about it until the flash back.

He also admits to not being sickened by the mass brutality of what's going on in the village. (Even though he blames the game doing this, it's still a consistent part of his character.)
    A legion of men come to save this village as well? He lets them die, except for 1, who could spread his name as a hero, and then teleports the entirety of the defeated legion into the village, and he goes out and beats up (easily) those who killed the legion.

Also, when stating how he saw humans he says "I used to see them as insects, but now, kind of like small animals." Regardless of whether this is because he doesn't see "NPCs" as humans (as evidenced by his revelation in episode 13), or not, that still shows he has little care for the lives of the sentient populace...which is kinda Evil.
    Spoiler: The actual spoiler
    Show
    He also says that he'd probably have killed his "friends" too, and described them as "tools to build my name", before fighting the Stupid Evil who killed said "friends".
    Additionally, while he says he has a Wand of Resurrection, he refuses to use it, citing that a mage who brings death, causes less trouble than one who brings back the dead....which, let's be honest...is probably true. But he didn't even use it on his "friends," yet is willing to spend his entire treasury to revive a slain servant of his (to be fair, it's less risky, but also shows that he wasn't near as attached to his "friends" as he was to his servants).

The above 2 statements could be seen "acting" to get the desired response from those he was talking with...but with how he acts and the few windows into his thoughts we get through out the series, it's quite believable he does actually think this way.
    It is heavily implied that he makes use of memory-manipulation abilities by the first episode, though not specifically mentioned again.

Also, while he doesn't make a habit of it (often killing in a single blow), he did show no mercy in a slow kill by crushing (against the stupid evil... who kinda deserved it...but...still).
    He also does quite often "play with his food" when they are anything more than an orc - teasing out the enemies' powers.

Oh, and he does kill another adventurer purely because he got in his way (or at least is implied that he did). To be fair, if the adventurer had been able to report back that he was in league with a vampire....well....yeah. Still would call it Evil, as he hadn't even seen the vampire yet.

So, he's quite clearly Evil. But why is he smart?

Well, first off, as I already said, he doesn't tell anyone he's evil! He doesn't go "RAWR! I am Sauron, and I am almighty! Everyone undertake a mission to kill me immediately!" And...I think this may be the single largest reason why I think he is "Smart Evil".
    Instead, he masks himself as a hero. Building his name up through careful manipulation. Let people come to serve him of their own volition, because they truly believe it is best. (I'm sure the plan was...the show isn't finished yet.) He didn't "let" a legion of do-Good humans die, he saved those who survived, and rescued the town!

He also doesn't play all of his cards at once...in fact, he goes out of his way to handicap himself by picking up a sword and armor and not casting spells - as a necromancer....and is still as powerful as the most powerful person of this world...but not the point.
    Again the misdirection. It keeps people from discovering his actual weaknesses....if he had any...yeah, I don't get why that's enthralling...it just was. I'll go back over the show again tomorrow to find out what specifically I liked. But it might just be simply that it's a show with "Smart Evil" and doesn't have many in-world contradictions.
    But, theoretically, it does prevent people from discovering his actual weaknesses (like holy damage), so I still consider it smart.

He also has a group in which he would not betray - his "family" for lack of a better word. Evil characters do have these. Just because someone is out for themselves does not (neccesarily) mean that they lack any desire for socialization and close relations. When a traitor emerges, he fights them solo because "I don't want you to fight each other," despite the likely result of having the entirety of the rest of his guards come down on them, being that the traitor probably would have keeled over without much of a match.
    This doesn't make him smart. I just wanted to use this show as a medium to point it out.

And, while he might not neccesarily value lives, he does value what sparing a life might do. For instance, if you let the bandits run after announcing your name? They spread the word. If you save just one person from certain catastrophe, even while after their friends died, they'll see you as having saved them (even if you chose not to save everyone, despite having the power to). If you incapacitate, and master a magical beast instead of slaying it...that's massive reputation points there.

And, along the lines of his manipulations, he doesn't know of the power level of this world, so he tries to tease out as much of the (non-orcish) enemies' powers as possible without being too threatening until he wishes to finish it soon. Again, I would feel this would feel so much better if the main character wasn't an immortal bad ass, but still, you've got to give them props for it.

Personally, I believe Ainz is True neutral: he can bend either way.

Many of the things he does only help him and his followers, which is expected from a true neutral protagonist.

On top of that, why would a evil being attempt fair rule? i understand manipulation to make him look like a hero, that's been done before. But if he was truly evil he would plan to abandon his mask after he finished taking over the world. That would cause him problems, and since he is a being of logic, it wouldn't make sense to him. he would also probably find it fun to torture his enemies and do it all the time. he doesn't, he only does it when it is the most efficient option to extract information.

His goal is efficient and long lasting rule over the new world, not fear and chaos.

he obviously wants to be seen as a kind ruler and wants to be talked about in legend for years.

Despite all the evil surrounding him, he acts merciful towards those who do not oppose him, despite any objection from his followers, because he has no reason to be cruel towards the innocent if they do not threaten his plans.

For these reasons, I consider him true neutral: not anywhere close to evil, but not anywhere close to good, only caring about any problems that cause him trouble and/or hurt his prestige.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Overlord is Evil done smart

First: thread necromancy. This thread was from last year.

Second: Why does noone read the character sheet. The Canon one. The one that the Writer/Author made.
    The one which basically says "Ainz's alignment literally cannot get any more Evil. He is the EVIL-est."
    Again, his alignment is on par with a character that set up farms to breed and raise humans so that they could be slaughtered like cattle.
    Ainz has casually, and without care, ordered mass slaughters, extreme torture, and horrors that would make even Hitler say 'Woah, hang on a minute. That's a bit much, don't you think?'.
    He has been very cruel to sentient beings for no better reason than 'because it's convenient' or 'because I want to test something out'.

His alignment, in D&D terms, is Neutral Evil. He has something of a code he follows, but he's willing to break it if it becomes inconvenient, and he's basically been a horrible monster that doesn't care about the literal horrors he's inflicted on anyone outside of a small group of 'people'.

The light novel's quite a bit further than the anime, and there are some things that he's had done that very much settles this.
    If you can say that ordering a group of helpless individuals be turned into the nesting and breeding grounds for parasitic insects, torturing and brainwashed people just because he could, ordering the slaughter of an uninvolved group of sentient creatures and then blackmailed the remaining survivors into serving him (those survivors, by the way, being explicitly weaker on all counts than most of the routinely randomly generated mobs that fill the Tomb of Nazarik and constantly respawn for free) and that literally directly slaughtering over 200 thousand people over the course of a single day (more than a third of which were killed by a single spell) for no better reason than to make a point is not evil, then you should seek mental help immediately.
    Last edited by TheifofZ; 2016-10-14 at 05:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I INSPIRE AWE IN MY ENEMIES BY SERVING THEM TEA.
    Awesome Avatar courtesy of Ava. Adopt an Avatar today!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

He's aesier to judge by World of Darkness standards than by D&D character system

His character sheet shows him to be horribly evil, but that's just how he had chosen to roleplay his character.

In reality, he starts as an average human being, but being undead stunts his empathy, causing him to quickly lose humanity.

Also, are you guys seeing some weird hyperlinks in the stuff I type, or is it just some malware on my end?
    Last edited by Braininthejar2; 2016-10-14 at 05:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Definitely Malware on your end.

And yes; judging him by WoD standards is, per say, easier. The 'Humanity' meter on his WoD sheet is at basically 1 pip left, and that's just barely hanging in there.

Judging him by D&D standards though; he started out as TN (The first light novel [or first half of the season]) but his alignment did a graceful swan dive off the handle and into the deep end of the N/E part of the alignment pool. (By the end of the second light novel [end of the season in the anime]).

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrieur View Post
    On the topic of neutrality, I can see a neutrality covering a big tent simply because of the number of archetypes it covers:

1) Someone who seeks balance.
    2) Someone who avoids extremes.
    3) Someone who acts in self-interest, without concerning themselves with good or evil.
    4) Someone who takes the middle path (i.e., recognizing the merits of good and evil nature).
    5) Someone who commits evil in the name of good.

And so I think Lord Ainz falls into the tenuous 3rd category, arguably the most unstable and closest to evil. It's not necessarily a balancing act where his good actions are weighed against the bad; it's the position that Lord Ainz commits actions in the interest of himself and the people he cares about, regardless of good and evil, and that he hasn't committed enough evil to actually be considered such and that the good actions he has committed aren't for evil purposes.
    Ah, so you're taking the stance that actions taken purely in rational self-interest can't qualify as evil? That there has to be malevolent intent, extra harm caused beyond what was practical?

I don't agree with that. For instance, let's say someone were to ask with my help in performing an assassination. All I need to do is to enter a building I have access to and fail to shut the door fully. There's absolutely no possibility anyone will ever find out I was the one who did it (it's a thought experiment, ok?), and they'll pay me a large amount of money for this.

Would I be evil for doing that? Yes. Even if I bear no malice toward the target and simply wish to make some easy money. Self interest is not an excuse.

Now self-defense, that could be a justification, depending on your moral philosophy. Say instead, that the assassin pointed a gun at me and told me to open the door or else. But that's not the case in most of the examples given - refraining from the evil actions would have only been a moderate setback, at worst, to Ainz.

And yes, this does mean that having greater personal power holds you to a greater standard in some cases. An ordinary man, hearing Orcs approaching and about to round the corner and discover him, and who believed the Orcs were hostile and intended to kill him, would (IMO) be justified in readying to strike first. A demi-god level archmage who could yawn while the Orcs futilely attacked him, on the other hand, would be committing an evil act by not confirming their intentions first.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2016-10-14 at 08:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

In the most recent chapter of Volume 11 he orders the culling of an entire race to be brought from 80,000 to 10,000 in number if they don't kneel to him in absolute obedience.
    They kept 4000 men, 4000 women and 2000 Children. The rest.. Were.. butchered by Shalltear. That is defenseless women and children being murdered. He's evil. No debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Wizards are weak because they need to read! Sorcerers can take the Illiterate trait to minmax themselves to extremes that other classes can only dream of!
    Spoiler: Current Ongoing Campaigns
    Show
    DM- Overlord Campaign - Ainz wiped the floor but they did manage to clear several floor guardians. Playing - Gestalt game character WIP.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheifofZ View Post
    Second: Why does noone read the character sheet. The Canon one. The one that the Writer/Author made.
    The one which basically says "Ainz's alignment literally cannot get any more Evil. He is the EVIL-est."
    Easy: Because it is a terrible argument.

The fact that the Author somewhere stated that "no, actually, this character is totally evil" doesn't address any of the issues that make people think "This guy isn't actually evil". People who argue that the character is in fact not evil do so based on how the character is actually portrayed, and saying that there is an official document which says the character is "the evil-est" ever only shows that up until this point the author hadn't gotten round to properly showing it yet, or tried and done a poor job of conveying his intentions or worse, that the author just isn't a very good author.

The case people were arguing was "The character shows in [a certain anime] up until episode X (the episodes that had aired at the time) does not qualify as evil", the authors intent or what happened at a later date in either the anime or the books the show is based on are irrelevant to that case.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddenorstrus View Post
    In the most recent chapter of Volume 11 he orders the culling of an entire race to be brought from 80,000 to 10,000 in number if they don't kneel to him in absolute obedience.
    They kept 4000 men, 4000 women and 2000 Children. The rest.. Were.. butchered by Shalltear. That is defenseless women and children being murdered. He's evil. No debate.
    Didn't he say he'd cull them anyway? I thought it was pretty much "10,000 of you will life. Kneel and I let you choose the survivors, don't and I let Shalltear choose."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

How is this still a thing? I remember posting way back when this thread started then ignoring it because I thought it was just piling up with trolls, but it seems there are people so morally unaware as to think he could at all be considered neutral. Yeah, sure, if you put innocent people's lives on the same level as an insect, then he could be neutral. But no, seriously, why is this argument even a thing?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    How is this still a thing? [...] Yeah, sure, if you put innocent people's lives on the same level as an insect, then he could be neutral. But no, seriously, why is this argument even a thing?
    Well... Maybe the argument is made with the reason that NPCs are a lot of 1s and 0s? I mean, if a player makes his character murder an NPC in your campaign, then the player isn't evil, even if the character might be?

...I dunno, grasping at straws here.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

FSecond: Why does noone read the character sheet. The Canon one. The one that the Writer/Author made.
    Again, his alignment is on par with a character that set up farms to breed and raise humans so that they could be slaughtered like cattle.
    Ainz has casually, and without care, ordered mass slaughters, extreme torture, and horrors that would make even Hitler say 'Woah, hang on a minute. That's a bit much, don't you think?'.
    He has been very cruel to sentient beings for no better reason than 'because it's convenient' or 'because I want to test something out'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Actually, now that I think about, Ainz's canon character sheet has his morality stat lower than a character who spends days digesting her victims so she can enjoy their suffering, and another character who would gladly kill all humans.
    I guess I'm nobody.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2016-10-15 at 02:25 AM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

If this thread gets shut down for necromancy, just tell me, I'll reopen a new thread if you want to keep talking about it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Echch View Post
    Well... Maybe the argument is made with the reason that NPCs are a lot of 1s and 0s? I mean, if a player makes his character murder an NPC in your campaign, then the player isn't evil, even if the character might be?

...I dunno, grasping at straws here.
    Yeah, but the player knows the NPCs aren't real, ainz on the other hand, as best he can tell, is dealing with sentient living beings experiencing everything he is doing to them. That said, it is also made clear that his descent into evil is not entirely of his own volition, considering being a lich actively inhibits his humanity, so one could potentially hold that into account, but that doesn't change the result of his actions. Perhaps Momon the human player was not evil at all, but ainz the lich most certainly, undeniably is.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Didn't he say he'd cull them anyway? I thought it was pretty much "10,000 of you will life. Kneel and I let you choose the survivors, don't and I let Shalltear choose."
    To my knowledge the only available translation right now is Nigels and no they weren't going to cull them to 10,000 regardless. If they surrendered at the start after being told to they'd've all lived. However Pe Riyuro instead asked for a test of strength he wanted proof they were powerful enough to control his people. Absolutely moronic considering he DID have the information available to him of having Ainz force one of the dragons to kneel to him already. But as he hadn't known the Frost Dragons leader had been killed yet.. Eh that's not even redeemable enough it was just stupid.

On the plus side this is probably good for his peoples long term health. His original plan was submit and grow strong under Ainz then stage a rebellion. He's now come to the realization that it'll never happen. They are Ainz's subjects now. Permanently.
    Wizards are weak because they need to read! Sorcerers can take the Illiterate trait to minmax themselves to extremes that other classes can only dream of!
    Show
    DM- Overlord Campaign - Ainz wiped the floor but they did manage to clear several floor guardians. Playing - Gestalt game character WIP.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddenorstrus View Post
    To my knowledge the only available translation right now is Nigels and no they weren't going to cull them to 10,000 regardless. If they surrendered at the start after being told to they'd've all lived. However Pe Riyuro instead asked for a test of strength he wanted proof they were powerful enough to control his people. Absolutely moronic considering he DID have the information available to him of having Ainz force one of the dragons to kneel to him already. But as he hadn't known the Frost Dragons leader had been killed yet.. Eh that's not even redeemable enough it was just stupid.

On the plus side this is probably good for his peoples long term health. His original plan was submit and grow strong under Ainz then stage a rebellion. He's now come to the realization that it'll never happen. They are Ainz's subjects now. Permanently.
    Which doesn't really cancel out the fact that Ainz -has- killed 70,000+ soldiers with a single spell before. And then used the monsters that those sacrifices gave him to slaughter upwards of another hundred thousand.
    Those soldiers that couldn't do anything to stop him, and were one-sidedly slaughtered until he basically got bored, sent a message to the king that he'll do this again but in the capital city instead if he doesn't get what he wants, and then packed up his **** and went home.

Also can you post a link to the current translation?
    Last edited by TheifofZ; 2016-10-16 at 05:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Which doesn't really cancel out the fact that Ainz -has- killed 70,000+ soldiers with a single spell before. And then used the monsters that those sacrifices gave him to slaughter upwards of another hundred thousand.
    Those soldiers that couldn't do anything to stop him, and were one-sidedly slaughtered until he basically got bored, sent a message to the king that he'll do this again but in the capital city instead if he doesn't get what he wants, and then packed up his **** and went home.

Also can you post a link to the current translation?
    http://overlordvolume10.blogspot.sg/...1_archive.html

Has the Pastebins for Volume 11, which aren't 100% considered finished just rough translations. At the very bottom you'll see 2016 October / September. He has Prologue - Chapter 4 officially translated. (Grammar and other things worked on after the rough translation.)
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now to find out why people would play a game where being horrifically tortured is a selling point, not a horrible glitch that has to be hidden lest legal action ensue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

As someone who's only seen the anime I'm pretty ignorant of the deeper story and the development of Ainz's evil, but could someone with more knowledge of the story outline his motives for his actions? How often were his actions borne out of "I want to make stronger undead with my necromancy" versus "I need to protect Nazarik and/or the people I care about/the world at large?" Not that any motive rationalizes genocide, but it might help decide between Neutral and Evil, or more importantly Smart Evil and Stupid Evil. Killing thousands of creatures for unspecified research feels like Stupid Evil to me, Evil because you can but not actually to a greater end.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    As someone who's only seen the anime I'm pretty ignorant of the deeper story and the development of Ainz's evil, but could someone with more knowledge of the story outline his motives for his actions? How often were his actions borne out of "I want to make stronger undead with my necromancy" versus "I need to protect Nazarik and/or the people I care about/the world at large?" Not that any motive rationalizes genocide, but it might help decide between Neutral and Evil, or more importantly Smart Evil and Stupid Evil. Killing thousands of creatures for unspecified research feels like Stupid Evil to me, Evil because you can but not actually to a greater end.
    Basically he loves the Guardians like nieces and nephews, and doesn't care about anyone else. He does make one or two friends outside of Nazerick and would be sad if they died, but he prioritizes the Guardians' lives over theirs.

If left to his own devices, he'd be far less dangerous. However, the Guardians are both actively evil and convinced that Ainz's true goals are complex beyond their comprehension. So whenever they "catch a glimpse of his motives" they immediately construct elaborate plans on how to achieve them. Ainz then goes along with these plans because he doesn't want to look stupid. We see Ainz's thought processes while this is going on, and he never really cares about loss of human lives unless it would deprive him of intelligence or hurt Nazerick's reputation in some way. In fact he once watched the Guardians kill tens of thousands of people and felt nothing but pride.

Ainz also has a tendency to view people as possessions, though he's self-conscious about this. For instance, he commissions expensive armor for an albino lizardman under his rule simply because they're rare, while making up excuses about how he values the lizardman's service. He also once expressed a desire to repeatedly kill and resurrect a sentient creature in order to harvest its rare body parts, and only dismissed it because it seemed unfeasible (you can only resurrect creatures if they're willing, and it would be a PR nightmare if others of their race found out). Instead he provoked another one of the creatures into insulting him then killed it in retribution, so he could at least have two corpses rather than one.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2016-10-17 at 10:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Colossus in the Playground

In the anime, I got the impression that a lot of his "justifications" for why a particularly evil and practical action would be, in fact, impractical were meant to conceal his lack of stomach for it from his minions, who had proposed it.

Ainz definitely sounds like he's sliding downwards on the moral axis, but he starts pretty Neutral, and even possibly "with good tendencies." He just swiftly abandons the latter, which is an easy opener to a downward spiral. I get the impression that he dislikes wonton slaughter for moral as well as practical reasons, but he seems okay with it if it serves a purpose, so yeah, at BEST he's Neutral with evil tolerances/tendencies. He likely is NE overall.

(I was particularly disappointed in him for not using his Rez staff on the party he'd adventured with and genuinely seemed to care about. He could have covered that up, if he'd wanted. While it's not ACTIVELY evil to refuse to bring somebody back to life, it is cold, and it probably is another step in his personal progression that way.)

Note: I have only seen the anime.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Basically he loves the Guardians like nieces and nephews, and doesn't care about anyone else. He does make one or two friends outside of Nazerick and would be sad if they died, but he prioritizes the Guardians' lives over theirs.

If left to his own devices, he'd be far less dangerous. However, the Guardians are both actively evil and convinced that Ainz's true goals are complex beyond their comprehension. So whenever they "catch a glimpse of his motives" they immediately construct elaborate plans on how to achieve them. Ainz then goes along with these plans because he doesn't want to look stupid. We see Ainz's thought processes while this is going on, and he never really cares about loss of human lives unless it would deprive him of intelligence or hurt Nazerick's reputation in some way. In fact he once watched the Guardians kill tens of thousands of people and felt nothing but pride.

Ainz also has a tendency to view people as possessions, though he's self-conscious about this. For instance, he commissions expensive armor for an albino lizardman under his rule simply because they're rare, while making up excuses about how he values the lizardman's service. He also once expressed a desire to repeatedly kill and resurrect a sentient creature in order to harvest its rare body parts, and only dismissed it because it seemed unfeasible (you can only resurrect creatures if they're willing, and it would be a PR nightmare if others of their race found out). Instead he provoked another one of the creatures into insulting him then killed it in retribution, so he could at least have two corpses rather than one.
    Honestly, these things sound like "Stupid Evil" to me, and definitely a far cry from an intelligent overlord. "Evil done smart" doesn't get hit by peer pressure or bullied, and it's poor planning to keep company that (in his mind) would overthrow him if they knew his true nature. Plus if he can't keep his subordinates in control enough to prevent them from murdering thousands if he would prefer them not to then he doesn't actually have control over them; they're just kind of doing their own thing and pleased that they think their master's wishes align with what they like to do.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Honestly, these things sound like "Stupid Evil" to me, and definitely a far cry from an intelligent overlord. "Evil done smart" doesn't get hit by peer pressure or bullied, and it's poor planning to keep company that (in his mind) would overthrow him if they knew his true nature. Plus if he can't keep his subordinates in control enough to prevent them from murdering thousands if he would prefer them not to then he doesn't actually have control over them; they're just kind of doing their own thing and pleased that they think their master's wishes align with what they like to do.
    A: He isn't worried about them overthrowing him. He knows they're fanatically loyal to him; he just doesn't want to look foolish in front of those he cares about. (You don't want to look like an idiot in front of your family, right?) He only worried about them overthrowing him once, early on, and was making plans to GTFO until he realized he didn't need to be scared.

B: He can control them, as they're fanatically loyal. Literally 'willing to kill themselves if he asked them' loyal, it's just that he does NOT prefer them not to slaughter others. He literally doesn't care if they commit genocide as long as it doesn't get in the way of his own plan, which can largely be summed up as "Make the name 'Ainz Ooal Gown' famous around the world, so that if any of his friends are there too, they'll be able to find him". As they decided to set about conquering the world for him, and that's a pretty good way of being known everywhere, he's gone along with it.

C: The only one that basically does his own thing is Demiurge, who is literally a genius, and is plenty happy doing what he believes Ainz wants him to do. Although since Demiurge has the lowest morality out of the Guardians, this does mean that if Ainz asks for anything he'll consider every material and method possible, and then choose the most practical and expedient, regardless of how good or evil it might be. To put it another way, you have that backwards. The Guardians are all super happy to obey Ainz no matter what he asks of them, and the fact that what he asks of them lets them do things they like doing anyway is just icing on the cake.
    Last edited by TheifofZ; 2016-10-17 at 05:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Now to find out why people would play a game where being horrifically tortured is a selling point, not a horrible glitch that has to be hidden lest legal action ensue.
    Only Ainz is actually playing a video game, he was the last player online when the servers shut down and got transported into a world with his entire built up guild hall.

The new world is more of a tabletop game where people aren't so fortunate as being able to log out to avoid torture.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    Only Ainz is actually playing a video game, he was the last player online when the servers shut down and got transported into a world with his entire built up guild hall.

The new world is more of a tabletop game where people aren't so fortunate as being able to log out to avoid torture.
    I think he's talking about the fact that there is no emergency password to log out, or at least that there is no indication of one, and you have to have your hand free to log out. One of the most stupid design flaws ever if something like that ever comes online.

Then again, that's missing the fact that torture in extreme detail would not exist in Yggdrasil (as it would likely earn a 18+ seal, which Yggdrasil doesn't have).

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's kinda the thing, he can't log out anymore. And it's not as if it's completely unimaginable, if you've used VR.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, yo are talking about the situation of Ainz. I thought you meant the general Yggdrasil.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I think he's talking about the fact that there is no emergency password to log out, or at least that there is no indication of one, and you have to have your hand free to log out. One of the most stupid design flaws ever if something like that ever comes online.

Then again, that's missing the fact that torture in extreme detail would not exist in Yggdrasil (as it would likely earn a 18+ seal, which Yggdrasil doesn't have).
    He's not logged into a game. He was turned into an actual lich, and transported to a new world with no resemblance to the game he played. (apart from some of the magic and monsters, but it's implied that they're not native to the world and were introduced by another player who was transported there before Ainz)
    Last edited by Prime32; 2016-10-18 at 10:59 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    He's not logged into a game. He was turned into an actual lich, and transported to a new world with no resemblance to the game he played. (apart from some of the magic and monsters, but it's implied that they're not native to the world and were introduced by another player who was transported there before Ainz)
    He WAS logged into a game called Yggdrasil, even if he isn't there anymore. My reply was about Coidzor's question of why a game would allow for torture, to which I replied that Yggdrasil didn't have torture, as we could see in the first episode. I know Ainz is't in Yggdrasil anymore, but that doesn't change the fact that it wasn't allowed in the original game.