New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Absence of Empathy IC

Kayte Mursai

Kayte eyes the mug with a mixture of disgust and envy. "You have no idea how much I would like one of those right now." The smell of the beer from here makes her sick, but she's still eager to take it and pour it down her throat. If it's a dream, you can't feel the side effects of getting drunk. You're not really hear, so why care? Just take the drink and move on with your day. She looks as though she's going to puke in the water, or at least like she wants to. Jokingly, she goes into conversation about his word. "Interesting. I recognize that one. Was it Fill 'er up or Fill 'em up? I missed some of it." She speaks the command word perfectly the first time, though the second time seems not far off. It's clear that she's bored and simply poking for conversation, but Kayte seems relatively normal at the moment. She tries to steer clear of the talk of escaping.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

Ulf returns from his long exploration just in time for the tail end of the conversation and gingerly crawls from the wall back to the floor."It's Fill 'er up! Good accent though, for a human. Anyway, back to the matter at hand, that ledge Crennick was on about's only a foot or so under water, with a Handrail about chest height.." he looks at his audience a moment "...sorry, waist height. I suggest we rope ourselves together and make our way along looking for a grate. Don't worry about the locks, we'll deal with that when we get there. Now I have a hunnerd foot of rope left, and if Rach has some to go with the block and tackle we might be able to spread ourselves even further, though a hunnerd foot should be enough to keep us from fallin over each other"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Below

"I'm game," offers Crennick. "I think I twisted my knee, but it seems more sore than damaged. I should make it." He ineffectively attempts to brush some mud off his red shirt before he stands.

"Here, let me give you hand." Erwin reaches out a hand to steady the man. "I'm Erwin. Did you--Crennick? Right?"

Crennick nods.

"Then let's get tied together and be out of here as soon as we can."
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-06-11 at 03:21 PM.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

Chaim

"Ma'am, I would be most grateful to take you up on your offer, but I have reason to believe the others may still be alive and I think I know where. If you could do something for me, it'd be to contact the Seat of Agriculture and explain to them the events here today and apologize for my absence." he responds, straightening back up to speak to the woman, and tugging the blanket about himself with a nod of thanks.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-06-11 at 05:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Kayte immediately begins counting people. Once she's got everyone, she says, "There's seven of us here, right? Ulf, you don't really need to get wet for another half-hour or so, I'd guess. That's leave the six of us who'll have to cross. Ulf, d'you think you'd be able to head our group? I think it might be easier for you to climb the wall than to hug it, if you know what I mean." Once everyone begins tying themselves to the rope, Kayte eyes it for a moment before she begins attempting it. After only a few moments, she says, "How about you tie it for me, Ulf?" in a sweet voice. "Rope-tying is not one of those skills we pick up in the bookstore."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

"No offense to your magical prowess, but I think I will stay withinn reach of the handrail, but aye I'll take the lead, after all I am the one who can see down here"

Ulf then fastens the rope around Kayte, and anyone else that wants help.

Spoiler
    Show

If allowed, Ulf will take 10 on all his use rope checks to tie people up, and to tie his ropes together to make a 100ft one. With +2 for his silk rope that gives 25s all round.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt:

"I think I could use some help here too", Arfondt says to Ulf. He raises his hands so Ulf can tie the rope around his belly, and interestedly watches his nimble fingers work their wonders on the rope. Hmm, beer. It'll have to wait until we're out of here though. "What are we waiting for? I can't wait to stand in the sunlight again."

8. - Top - End - #98

Above

When Chaim mentions the Seat of Agriculture, the woman's eyebrows go up in surprise. "I--I'm not sure that I could." A corner of her mouth quirks into a smile. "At least, not right away. I could get a message to him in a few days. Would that be alright?"

Then as if she hadn't asked a question, she quickly turns serious again. "But you said that the others were alive. How do you know? Weren't they swept away and drowned? Maybe I should help you find them." This last is firm. You get the sense that she's coming with you, regardless of your preferences.

Below

"Which way do we go?"

Everyone can see that the tunnel continues only a moderate distance each direction, for the shafts of light stop. Ulf, however, can tell that the tunnel forks upcurrent and turns downcurrent.

"I'd guess that the water gets deeper the farther down it flows. The ledge should stay above it, though. It's supposed to, anyway."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Kayte shudders at the thought of rising water, and says, "If the need rises, and if Arfondt has enough materials left over, I can provide a few more castings of that spell I used before. Last resort, of course." She shudders again at the thought of those spell materials, then draws upon a bit of magic and creates a few lights in the air, which Arfondt should recognize immediately. If anyone dares to take closer examination on the lights, they will find that they are in the shapes of rings, each resembling the ring Kayte wears on her finger. Smiling, Kayte says, "That ought to brighten things up a bit. No pun intended."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Dancing Lights again.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2007-06-12 at 10:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

Rach Diggerson

"The water's gotta go somewhere. Maybe if we follow it downstream we can exit wherever the water does. Rach racks his brain trying to recall where the city sewers drain to.

Spoiler
    Show
    "All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players" - Rush, paraphrasing some old guy

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

"I expect it could be a long way until the water exits the sewers. They run below all of the city, meaning we might well have to walk all the way across the city and then some more. I understand we are looking for a maintenance access, so we might be better off going upstreams where the water is more shallow." Arfondt stares in to the empty air for a moment, then pats down his robes absently. "Regardless of which way we go, we should leave a message here in case someone comes looking for us. The ones that got pulled up will surely mount a rescue, and we shouldn't make finding us any harder for them. Does anyone here have any tools we could use to leave some eye-catching mark in the walls?"
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2007-06-13 at 01:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

"I would surmise that some sort of access exists downstream as well as upstram. But you've all felt the strength of this current so I would
    rather go with it than fight against it personally"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Banned

Chaim listens and is ruffling his hair dry in the blanket when she mentions going searching. He pulls the blanket back and gives her an appraising look.

"I would think you would wish to care for your daughter." he responds questioningly. "A search party will be ready soon enough."

He pointedly doesn't explain how he knows this information, not particularly sure she'd believe him anyways.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-06-13 at 07:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Looking around, Kayte says, "How well hidden are these passageways we're talking about?" She has a bit too much fun sending the lights flying all around the place, sheding light wherever it can be. "As for leaving a message, there's not much we can do. How about you? Isn't it trademark for those mages to have some sort of mystic symbol or what not?" Before he starts to talk to her about being a mage, she quickly adds, "And no, I can't do it. I'm just a bookkeeper."

15. - Top - End - #105

Rach Diggerson

Already slightly fatigued from his ordeal, Rach adds his vote, "I'd rather not fight the current anymore than we have to. I also suggest heading downstream.

He then says to Ulf, "I do have a hundred feet of rope should the need arise. I also have a variety of tools that, should we find an access door, will come in handy."
    "All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players" - Rush, paraphrasing some old guy

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

Arfondt turns to Rach. "Couldn't you use these same tools to carve an arrow into the stone walls to point others into the direction we will have gone? I have some phosphorescent moss here that we could use to make it more noticeable.
    I didn't expect I would need that spell today, so I don't have it ready right now."
    he adds, looking to Kayte. "If you want to, I could teach you a few spells after we get out of here. I am sure there are some that could aid you in your work."

He looks left and right into the dark passage of the sewers, then concedes: "If the experts say that going downstream is best, that is what we should do."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

"I think the tools Rach is referring to are more delicate in nature, I have some of the same should the need arise, but for hacking lumps out of rock you can't do better than my mining pick unless we have a stonemason among us"

With that Ulf retrieves his pick from a backpack which at first glance looks too small to even hold it, then holds it out. "If someone else could do the honours, I am a bit busy tying Kayte up in knots here"

18. - Top - End - #108

Above

"She'll be fine. Ronner!" A short, thin man runs over to the woman. "Take Mirella back to the townhouse. Look after her, she's had a scare." Her hand absently strokes the girl's hair.

"Yes'm. I'll make sure she's safe at home."

The man leads the girl away, and the woman turns back to Chaim. "I've taken care of it. Now where did you say they are?"

She ses the expression on his face and laughs musically, blushing slightly. "Oh, I'm sorry; you must think I'm cruel to send her off like that. Actually, she was begging to go home right before they pulled you up. Poor girl was quite upset, and being back among familiar things will certainly settle her. We, however, have a job to do. I'm just so used to making sure that things get done in good order, that I acted immedately. Please forgive my brusqueness. I'd certainly hate it if those poor folks perished because we all stood around. Come, show me where you think they are."

"My name's Ferah. You're very conscientious, to be so concerned for the welfare of others. It's an admirable trait, and rubs off on others."

[If Chaim accedes to her company:]
    As soon as Chaim indicates a direction, they set off at a quick pace.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

Rach Diggerson

"If we're gonna head downstream, I suggest tying ...Kylen is it?...to the rear. You look to be a pretty strong fella'," he says to the Kylen. "Ulf, you should probably lead, seein' as how you can see further than the rest of us in the dark.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

Chaim nods with obvious admiration.

"Ferah. You remind me much of my wife. She to is a strong woman. I am Chaim Hyman." he responds and reaches up to tip his hat only to remember it was whisked away in the waters. "And yes, we must hurry."

With that he sets off at a brisk pace that leaves the woman behind him to make an effort to keep up.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

Arfondt takes the pick, walks over to a wall and with crude strikes hammers an arrow into the wall that points into the direction they will we heading. He takes some phosphorescent moss out of the same bag he previously found the spider in, and smears is over the arrow.
    "I think if anyone comes looking for us, this is impossible for them to miss." With that he returns to Ulf to get himself tied up and ready to move on.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Kayte is slightly puzzled at the idea of preperation, but nods to Arfondt, simply saying, "That would be lovely," in a completely distracted way. When the pick starts hammering into the wall, however, Kayte takes a shocked reaction to the stonework, until she realizes who's doing it. She waits patiently for an answer to her previous question, assuming someone knows the answer.

23. - Top - End - #113

Below

The party is now bound securely together and has left its directional indicator in the wall. [Party order: Ulf, Crennick, Arfondt, Rach, Kayte, Erwin, Sir Kylen.]

You begin sloshing your way downcurrent. The water is, for the most part, only a foot deep; but as you approach the bend, you can see that the water eddies up on the far side as the tunnel's course turns toward the left.

The walls are sweating and give off an earthy odor. The handrail, however, has been forged to deal with the sewer's damp, and thus is not slippery. Occasionally your foot will hit a spot where moss or algae (or some unidentified muck) has compromised the footing; but the rope serves you well and has prevented any mishaps so far.

"The doors we used weren't hidden at all, miss. Just look for a solid door in the wall. I wouldn't see a point in hiding 'em; they're built to be used, after all. Sometimes we had to go through a basement and a short passage to get to them; so depending on which one we come out, there might be a fuss since there was no official notice or anything. Eh. I figure nobody'll mind--with what happened."

Above

Chaim jogs off to the nearest sewer access he could remember in the general vicinity in which he guessed the others were; it was just a few streets over. He recalled seeing it when he came into the city to pay his farm taxes (it was near the Ag Exchequer). Ferah is a half-step behind when Chaim pulls up in front of a bulkhead that replaced an alleyway.

"That it? They're down there?" She pauses for breath, and she glances at the Exchequer building. When Chaim nods, she replies, "Well, let's get down there and help them."

She grabs the wheel that serves to operate the door's seal and tries to turn it. It won't budge.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-06-16 at 11:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Kayte shrugs at the answer, if she can. "Ah well. Worth a shot." She winks at Arfondt, hoping he can figure out what she's been trying to do. If he seems confused, she says, in a rather joking manner, "Those doors don't happen to be age-old magical artifacts or something, right? If they were magical..." She smiles at the wizard as they go forward, the lights floating above their heads as if to provide some sort of salvation.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

Ulf carries on downstream, using the spider climb as long as it lasts but always staying on the wall with one hand on the handrail.

"I don't imagine anyone made a sewer with magic doors lass, probably just a big old lump of iron, which is more my area of expertise anyway. By the way do I get some kind of warning when this spell wears off, or do I just find myself falling off this here wall?"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Kayte immediately remembers the answer to Ulf's question. "Oh, no, you'll just fall off the wall. You'll have some time to grip something tightly on your way down, lucky me, but once the spell wears off it's a short drop. It does last a good half hour, though. At least, it did when I tried it." She moves along with the rest of the group, hands on the rails and feet trying to find proper holds. If someone goes down, you're going with them.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Kylen

The stolid paladin says nothing, or has nothing to say, but continues to creep along carefully behind the others.

(sry, just a "Im alive" post.)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt:

Arfondt stares at Kayte with a puzzled look. "Why do you think these doors could be magical?" He returns her smile before looking ahead again to see where he is going. She seems a bit confused. I wonder how long we've been down here already.
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2007-06-18 at 10:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Below

Ulf rounds the corner first. This next section of the sewer has no shafts of light coming from above; but the darkness is no hinderance to your race, and you can see that it continues straight for at least sixty feet. There are no obvious doors within range of your darkvision.

Rach and Kayte ONLY:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rach and Kayte ONLY:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amidst the gurgling of the water as it flows through the sewers, you hear a 'plunk' as of something falling into the water. It comes from around the corner, though you are unable to tell if Ulf dropped something or if it came from farther on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

At Kayte's words Ulf climbs back down to place his feet firmly on the submerged ledge rather than risk falling off the wall, his hand still gripping the handrail as he does so, then carries on walking.