New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Absence of Empathy IC

Kayte Mursai

Jeez, I expected more of an understanding nod or something...apparantly, sarcasm is hard to comprehend..."I didn't think the doors were magical, it's just-" A sound in the distance, barely auidible, cuts her off. "Wait. Stop. What was that? Did anyone else hear that?" She becomes suddenly rather paranoid at that sound, moving the front light towards where she thought it might have come from. "Ulf, did you see anything?" There's a good bit of fear in her eyes at this point, though she's good enough to hide the fear in her voice.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

"What sound? I heard nothing" Ulf stops in his track and turns hes head back and forth, eyes darting about the area, and listens for another sound.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+1)[9]
    Listen (1d20+5)[22]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Below

Ulf doesn't see anything unusual.

He (and anyone else who beats a DC 19 listen check) hears...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...a faint scrabbling sound from somewhere ahead, as of tiny objects scraping stone.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Chaim smiles inwardly and looks down to examine the cover.

"I can make the attempt, though the others should also be alerted. Would you be willing to go back and let them know where we have gone?"
    he says as he runs a finger over the entrance to the sewers.

He looks to Longjohn that has followed them before reaching down to tug on the cover.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-06-18 at 03:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Above

The bulkhead is a small building that spans where an alley would otherwise be. The windowless steel door is large, presumably to allow equipment and materials access to the passage down to the sewers. A wheel mechanism operates a strong seal.

Ferah looks at Chaim doubtfully. "It might only be jammed; but my guess is that it's locked. Still, you can try it while I go notify the authorities."

She strides quickly in the direction of the Agricultural Exchequer.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-06-18 at 05:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground

Rach Diggerson

Responding to Kayte, Rach says, "I thought I heard something fall in the water up ahead. Probably just some rubble loosened by the high water."
    "All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players" - Rush, paraphrasing some old guy

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

Lightbulb Re: Absence of Empathy IC

Chaim

"Most like." Chaim drawls, looking at the mechanism without any great recognition. He has a go at it anyways just to check for certain.

8. - Top - End - #128

Above

Chaim tries to turn the wheel. It has a little play in it, but it will not turn. Thus you surmise that the door is locked instead of just stuck.

Below

[The group has stopped and is listening. Unless you tell me otherwise, IC or OOC, I will shortly presume that the group will continue on as it has before.]
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

After a short pause to listen, Ulf carries on downstream as before, moving towards the source of the sound he heard.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

Chaim gives up on it, and stands back up to wait for the others. He pats Long John's neck.

"Nicker, brerrr brerrr, ftpp, mmmhmmhmmm weehmmhmm, brrup..." he begins, and goes on for a few moments.

'Sorry you won't be able to come along ole friend, but ye're not much for the dark and narrer. Head along back to them stables after I've gone down a spell. Iffin I'm not back by this night you go fetch the Lady and bring her back y'hear?'
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-06-19 at 05:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Rach Diggerson

As Ulf continues onward so too does Rach.
    "All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players" - Rush, paraphrasing some old guy

12. - Top - End - #132

Above

Chaim waits.

[Continue reading]

Below

The group rounds the turn without incident. As they progress, Ulf can see that the sewer tunnel turns in the other direction ahead. In about the middle of this stretch of tunnel, he can see a square hole in the near wall, as if a large block had been removed, at the dwarf's shoulder-height. (Since the blocks in the wall are so large, the hole is about three feet by three feet square.)

As you approach it, several of you hear the skritching sound again.

Above

Ferah comes out of the building and returns to Chaim. "Well, I told them, for all the good it will do. They 'dispatched a messenger to the proper authorities.' I tried to get them to open up the bulkhead for us so we could go down and look--I know they have a key--but they said we didn't have the proper authorization. Proper this and proper that. Bureaucrats!"

She looks Long John up and down. "So what do we do now?"
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-06-22 at 05:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133

Below

Kayte's lights soon make it apparent to everyone that there is a hole in the wall to your left (the near wall). You can also hear sounds of movement. Much movement.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-06-23 at 09:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Chaim

"We go and stick a burr under their saddle." Chaim responds grimly, marching back for the group, his jaw set with determination.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-06-23 at 10:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

"C'mon, let's go," she says, motioning towards the hole in the wall if she can. The lights all move up, one light hovering directly above the entrance. Kayte seems clearly anxious to get out of the caves, still a bit on edge from the skritching noises she's heard. The movement above makes her feel rather uncomfortable and quite on edge, and she decides to make no efforts to remain calm. If anyone's playing close enough attention, they can see her hyper-ventilating.

Once everyone enters the opening, if they enter the opening, the lights will follow them, with one up front, one in the back, one in the middle, and one up ahead, "scouting" ahead of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Check dice-rolling thread for a listen check for the noises. I explained the light movements, but she obviously keeps them within spell range.

16. - Top - End - #136

Above

Chaim, followed by Ferah and his horse, jogs back to the site of the cave-in. [That's where I assume you meant by "back for the group." Ferah had gone to the nearest municipal building.] The intersection is now completely roped off. Many of those who are out enjoying the sunshine are standing at the barrier watching the work progress with curiosity, while those on business are muttering about the detour and the congestion it's caused.

Chaim approaches the barrier and flags down a worker. The man looks disgusted at the interruption; but Chaim's persistence brings him over.

"What's the problem?"

Below

The group clusters around the opening to the horizontal shaft. Crennick shrugs and indicates that he's unfamiliar with its purpose. The rustling noise is loud enough that all of you can hear it, along with high-pitched squeaks.

"Rats," Erwin offers. "Sounds like a whole horde of them. Best just to leave them alone. No way I'm crawling through a rat's nest."

Kayte's light shines down the shaft and is reflected as tiny pairs of pinpricks. The pinpricks freeze motionless, then surge forward.

The beady eyes of the rats are fixed on you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Initiative in the Dice-Rolling Thread
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Banned

"I am in need of a way of opening the bulkhead over there." he says calmly but firmly, gesturing in its vague direction. "For an attempt at a rescue of the men and women taken by the waters."

-=-=-=-=-

OOC: Crud, missing all the action, and Chaim could deal so well with that situation to...
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-06-24 at 10:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

AC: 13
    HP: 31/31

Arfondt knew what was going to happen before it did. He draws a dagger from a sheath on his belt and points it at the rats. "Maybe if we don't attack them they will just run past us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Init: 1d20+2 = 22
    Rolled knowledge(rats) 14 to predict the behaviour of the rats
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2007-06-27 at 02:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Rach Diggerson AC: 13, HP: 40/40

Staring down the shaft at the points of light, Rach instinctively reaches over his shoulder to his pack. Flipping up the flap on the side pocket he retrieves a large knife that was waiting for his hand to grasp it. I love this pack.

"Rats!"

Rach slashes at the first rat that gets close enough.
    Last edited by LurkerinthePlaygnd; 2007-06-25 at 11:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai AC: 13 (Touch 13, FF 11) HP: 41/41

"Shoot." Putting up her hands, Kayte pulls from memory a spell she knows she can cast, then points her hands towards the rats, closes her eyes, and whispers, "Sleep." A wave of white dust-like material floats through the air towards the rats, blanketing them in its mist.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative is 15, I believe. Move in such a way as to put as little of the party within range of this spell if it were to be cast, then cast sleep if the rats try to attack the party (ready action). Woo, it's a Will Save of the DC 15, assuming the spell affects them at all.

Kayte does not have the following items on her person that are listed on her sheet:
    Shortsword, Crossbow, Mithral, Gloves, Hand of the Mage, and everything listed in the "Other Possessions" section of the character sheet except the belt pouch. She has 50 GP on her as well.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2007-06-25 at 11:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Sir Kylen
    Init: 4
    HP: 54/54
    AC: 14 (12 after attacking), flatfooted 13

At the approach of the rats, Sir Kylen slides his greatsword smoothly off his back, holding it in a two-handed grip as best as he can without losing his balance. Recognizing the futility and danger of swinging it blindly in this situation, he resorts to thrusting with the tip at any rat who gets in his reach.

(OOC: Sir Kylen isn't wearing his full plate armor currently - he does have his buckler and sword though. Thus, the AC drops by 9...)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf
    AC 18 (wearing his mail as he uses it as safety gear sown the mine - also, he;s a dwarf, its the uniform)
    HP 46/46

Ulf's hand flies to his backpack where, miraculously, a mining pick is the item right at the top, grabs it and takes a firm stance, ready to squash any rat that comes close to him.

(only thing missing from Ulf's sheet is the big axe)

23. - Top - End - #143

Above

The worker sighed. "Sir, we're trying to get some work done here. I don't know anything about a rescue, and I certainly don't have a key to any bulkhead." His voice took an edgy, impatient tone. "In case you hadn't noticed, there's a big hole in the ground, blocking up two whole streets. Now if you'll just excuse me."

Below

Rach makes a deft swipe with his knife, slicing across the sensitive noses of innumerable rats at once. [1 damage.] The creatures in front pull back slightly, but are quickly overwhelmed from behind as other rats push through.

The horde keeps coming.

Ulf pulls out his mattock and readied it in case the rats should head his way.

Kayte invokes arcane energies, directing her spell down the shaft so as to avoid unpleasant side effects for her companions. The dust she tosses into the air drifts lazily over the churning mass of rodents. She waits for the spell to take effect.

"You'd be better off standing here," Erwin muttered to the broad man with the big sword. "Switch with me." While Sir Kylen held the handrail, Erwin skipped around him. "Thanks." [Erwin and Sir Kylen have switched positions.]

Then the bard begins singing. You all feel invigorated, and the darkness and damp of the sewer seem less oppressive. [Using Inspire Courage: +2 bonus to saves vs. fear/charm, to attacks, and to damage.]

Like Ulf on the other end, Sir Kylen readies himself should the rats come in range.

Crennick's eyes go wide. "Last time I was down here, the same thing happened! Those things spread all sorts of disease; Mortin's still never recovered. Get them away from me!" He recklessly scrambled toward Ulf, who had to direct the pick's spike away so as not to impale the frightened man. [Crennick and Ulf have switched positions.] Crennick runs away from the shaft until the rope gives him a sharp tug. He turns back and yanks on the rope, trying to free himself. [There is now an empty square between Ulf and Crennick.]

The front ranks pour out of the hole, sleek bodies and hairless tails whipping around and over each other. The effect is quite nauseating. Many of them leap toward Rach, biting at him with their teeth and attempting to find a purchase for their claws.

Rach strikes out again as the rats swarm atop him. Striking blindly, he is still able to slice and stab several of the rats--so thickly are they upon him. [3 damage inflicted.]

The rats bite, claw, and scratch at Rach. [Rach takes 4 damage. I need a Fortitude save from you.]

As if they can sense Crennick's fear, the rats turn in his direction. Arfondt throws up his hands to protect his face as the rats rush at him. He kicks with his feet, but is unable to ward them off.

Ulf, however, is standing ready with a two-handed grip on his mattock. WIth the blunt end, he lays into the rats with sweeping strokes. You hear crackling crunches amid the squeaking squeals. With his flurry, he has crushed or swept into the water all but one rat. The lone survivor takes to the wall and quickly climbs out of sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: One rat swarm demolished. Dead rats now occupy Rach and Arfondt's squares, but have no effect. There are live ones in the shaft.

Kayte has cast her sleep spell into the shaft (and the rats there are included in the target area); but the spell doesn't take effect until just before her turn next round.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Banned

Chaim

"In a moment, sir." Chaim responds, "Who is supervising all of this?"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf

"Worse'n bloody Kobolds I tell ye!" grumbles Ulf as he moves up in front of Arfondt, shielding the unarmed man with his body and waiting to see if any more rats come out. "Maybe I shoulda used the shovel instead, and just scooped em all into the water"
    Last edited by Mr the Geoff; 2007-06-28 at 03:03 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

Above

The worker's eyes narrow. "Jamaris; but he's down the hole. I'm not going to fetch him for you, if that's what you're getting at. He's got work to do. I've got work to do."

The fact that he continues to answer your questions indicates that he's trying to be patient and polite; but he does so with the manner of a man attempting to wear a jacket tailored for someone half his size. Clearly, his civility does not spring from personality or nature.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai AC: 13 (Touch 13, FF 11) HP: 41/41

Darn it... "Arfondt, I'm gonna need that bag!" Why was it today that you fell into the pit in the ground? Why not some other day?

If she gets the bag of materials, Kayte pushes in order to switch places with someone, swishing her hands through the air as though tracing some sort of symbol. She then reaches out and touches the nearest unarmored person besides herself and speaks a word in the ancient language of dragons: "Guard." An invisible force seems to now seperate her hand from the target's body, and she pulls her hand back.

Otherwise, she stands her ground and aims her hands in the direction of the rat swarm again, readying an action to cast a spell yet again, should they make any hostile moves towards her. Should they move, she thrusts both hands out, palms forward, and says, "Stop!" as a burst of invisible force thrusts itself at the oncoming swarm(s), hopefully slowing them down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, two different actions, depending on what Arfondt does.
    If he is able to give Kayte the spell component pouch and does so, Kayte will cast mage armor on whomever is closest to her and likely to enter melee with the rats, as well as unarmored. The most likely target would be Sir Kylen. +4 to the target's AC value.
    If he is unable to give Kayte the pouch, she'll make due with a casting of whelming blast, aimed in such a way as to include as few of the party members as possible and still hit as many swarms as possible. 2d6 nonlethal damage upon a failed Will Save of DC 16. It's a 30-ft cone for area.
    Either way, once her spell is complete, she'll try to move out of the front lines.

28. - Top - End - #148

Rach Diggerson: HP: 36/40

"Agh! I'm bit!" Rach looks down and sees runlets of red streaking his arms. "Em buggers got some sharp teeth."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Sir Kylen
    AC 12 (16 if I get a Mage Armor)
    HP 54/54

"Pity they're not evil rats, or demonically possessed ones...I'd be a lot more effective in that case - though, that might be a wash, all circumstances considered...anyways, why don't I stand as first against the rats - Kord will shield me from any mundane diseases that might fester in their fang."

Kylen attempts to work his way to the front of the line, in front of Rach.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2007-06-29 at 05:12 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

Init 22
    AC: 13
    HP: 31/31

"Here you go." Arfondt pulls the component pouch from his belt and lays it into Kayte's streched out palm (he retains a small leather loop though). Then he gets back to hiding behind his dagger, awaiting the next wave of rats.