New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Absence of Empathy IC

Kayte Mursai

Kayte shifts a bit in the shaft, trying to keep her face through the hole. "There's a small hole in the wall here. I don't think I can shimmy through this, though. It's not big enough for me to go through. Me and my companions need some help breaking through." She shifts some more, a bit uncomfortable with her current actions. This is going to get out of hand really quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Check for dice rolls.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf

Ulf stares wistfully into the cool draught coming fromfurther along their little crack but, other than turnin his head, makes no other move to alert his position.

((just a "still here" post ))

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

TPP

Above

With a caress and a kiss, Chaim takes his leave of his wife and family and rides back toward the city walls. When he had taken this route earlier in the day, the morning sun was dripping gold over the fields, transforming their sodden state into a thing of beauty. Now, with the sun high overhead, the devastation of the weeks of rain is apparent: grain rotted on its stalk, trees denuded of their leaves, wide channels cut by runoff through the earthen heart of every field. Chaim reflects on how dire the situation had become--for the farmers and for the city that depended on their crops.

The trip back to The Rise and the administrative buildings lining its square takes longer than usual because of the disruption that the re-routed traffic was causing. The strong sun and the humidity of evaporation conspire to cause your bangs drip in your face and send a trickle down your spine; but it's still welcome because it's perspiration, not precipitation.

Below

"Okay, I think I see it." The light of the candle moves its arm across the wall of the crack as Willem positions it directly opposite you. "That you? I think I can see your eye. You're in kind of a tough position, aren'tcha Linn?"

The crack is as deep as one of the blocks and is only an inch or two wide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm. Somebody got lucky.

Arfondt's breathing slows as he listens hopefully to the exchange between Layte and Willem.

Growing restless with the wait, Sir Kylen flicks pieces of rubbish out of his way and back toward the rats' nest. He finds that the belt that had pricked his hand earlier is still attached to a small, but heavy, leather bag, which was buried under the small mound of trash.

Crennick elbows Erwin, who had been humming to himself. "You don't wanna call the rats back, do ya?"

Ulf begins to realize that the draught is more cold than cool--which is why it's so uncomfortable.

Rach feels slightly ill, and remembers that he rushed out of his house without breakfast this morning.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

4. - Top - End - #244
    Banned

Chaim leaves Longjohn at the stables as he did that morning, and with a feeling of deja vu repeats his path, though is forced to go around the area of the morning's disaster.

He gives it a long, hard look before shaking his head as he winds his way through the crowds for the agricultural building.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Trying to push against the rock a bit, Kayte says, "Yeah, we're definitely stuck here. What do you think? I don't have anything on me that can push through this rock." Except maybe your head, once I get my hands around it. She keeps her cool very naturally, which is a bit scary, as you realize that she looks almost completely the same lying as she does telling truth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Check for rolls again. I'm assuming I have to do this every post.

6. - Top - End - #246

Below

Kayte sees Willem's shadow block the light as he tries to peer into the crack--unsuccessfully, of course, since he's now blocking the light. He curses and pulls his face back. You catch his profile in the light of the candle. His nose is slightly puggish, which accentuates the impression of a permanent sneer. Other than that, he's not unattractive (unless you don't like freckles, of which he bears a plentiful sprinkling).

Since Kayte mentioned "companions," the others of you no longer feel compelled to keep quiet.

"Yeah, it's too small--even for a scrawny thing like you, Linn. I ain't got nothing to dig you out, neither. Shame if you'd be stuck down here, though." You can't tell if his remark is sincere or not. "Can't you get out the way you came in?"

Spoiler
    Show
    No need to make bluff rolls every round during this exchange to maintain the masquerade/disguise; I'll roll it for you when necessary.

Of course, if there's a particular lie/bluff you want him to swallow which goes beyond the basic ruse, please let me know. If I think it warrants a special bluff/sense motive opposed check, I'll roll it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

"Not sure of that one. We got swept down this way by water, and we're still searching for a way out of here. There's a pathway down this pipe, it seems, but so far we have no idea how far down it goes. We don't have a lot of light over here. Mostly relying on dwarven nightvision to get us around." Kayte moves some more, in an effort to keep herself at face-level with the crack. "Not sure we have enough space back here to smash anything against the rock. My back's pretty much against hte wall as it is." It might come down to that, though. We'll see what else Willem can come up with.

8. - Top - End - #248

Below

Willem shakes his head. "I got nothing on me but this candle and my own two hands. Sorry. No way I can dig you out. I might be able to tell someone, though--although you were never one to desire 'official' attention, were you?"

He sighs exaggeratedly. "Such a tragedy! Well, I gotta get going. See you later. Oh...." He seems mildly embarrassed as he turns to go.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Sir Kylen

Interesting...

Sir Kylen pulls open the bag and peers inside as best he can, examining the contents as Kayte and Wilhelm speak.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf

Once it seems that Kayte's ruse is making no more progress, Ulf starts to move further through their little tunnel, hoping to find the source of the cold draught.

I can get through the wall given time, but not while that dodgy character is there. Best not to think too hard on how Kayte knows him so well either

11. - Top - End - #251

Below

Kylen can't see too well in the dim light because Crennick's casting a shadow; but it's pretty obvious that he was holding someone's coin purse. It wasn't full; but it was encouragingly heavy.

Ulf begins investigating the shaft. About twenty feet beyond the crack where Kayte holds her conversation with Willem, the rock starts to feel slick--with frost.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf

Ulf comes back to the others and whispers what he found into the first ear he finds, adding "I'd guess that's magical as you don;t get anything like that natural in the middle of a town's sewers after a month of rain"

13. - Top - End - #253

Above

Chaim muses upon the apparent lack of concern on the part of the city's inhabitants: their only concern seemed to be the inconvenience of a detour, not the the fact that several of their number nearly perished this morning. I wonder if the others have survived. The rescue group should have found them by now if they had.

You finally make it to your destination, an administrative building near The Rise which houses the offices for the Seat of Agriculture. Riel, the farmer's representative who would normally see to this sort of business, made an appointment for you with the Seat of Agriculture himself. He alone would have the authority to authorize the aid the farmers require and to implement the city-wide policies and logistical interventions necessary to compensate for the widespread crop failure.

You arrive in the waiting room and explain your situation to the receptionist, offering an account of the morning's events as the source of your delay. You ask if it would be possible to secure an audience with the High Seat now.

"I'm sorry, sir; the High Seat has gone home. I'm afraid you won't be able to secure an audience with him for the next..." he consults a stack of papers, one of which apparently contains a calendar "ten days. I can schedule you for the first of the week--not this coming one, but the next. The appointment will be pending the High Seat's approval, mind you. He doesn't often allow a second audience if a party has missed the first; but you have a rather unique situation, so I'm willing to submit your request."

It is only midday.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

Below

"By the way," Ulf adds to Kayte, "How are things going with your boyfriend? Is he gonna get us out of here?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Banned

Chaim

"Is there perhaps another who I could gain an audience with sooner that would be able to relay the most pressing concerns to the High Seat? What difficulties the farms have become difficulties for the city as well." Chaim questions a touch grimly. "If ten days is the soonest though, it'll have to do."
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-08-30 at 10:48 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

(I don't know, is he gone?)

Sorta yelling out into the room, Kayte says, "Willem!? Go on, I think we can get through here on our own. Don't wait up for us." Looking down to Ulf, she responds to both his comments, the latest one first. She didn't particularly find the magical ice interesting. "I don't know what's going on, but this guy seems to know something. Whatever's going on, I feel like we'd better alert someone when we get out of here." Looking up to the others, Kayte says, "Ulf's found some magical ice down there. Don't know what's going on with it, but I imagine it's important to whatever's been going on in this city."

17. - Top - End - #257

TPP

Above

The staffer's brow furrows. "I quite agree. My wife's cousin is a farmer, and the stories he told us last week when he came into town...well, let's just see what we can do for you. I can't really get you in to see anyone else; and from the sound of things, there wouldn't be anyone more appropriate than the Seat himself. I can send word to the Seat, however, and let him know what happened. If he wants to rearrange his hearings, he might be able to see you more quickly. Your holding is registered with the Assayer's Office, of course, so he'd just send word. Thank you, sir; and good day."

You are politely but obviously dismissed. The receptionist--who seems to function more as a charge d'affaire--calls over a runner. The girl takes a message and tucks it into her pouch, then briskly walks out of the building.

Below

Spoiler
    Show
    Willem had turned his back, but he hadn't quite left; so he heard what you said.

Willem turns around and presses his face against the far opening of the crack as if to squeeze himself through. "Really?" His voice is slightly sharp; but then again, it usually is. "That's great! How? Where?"

He hears Kayte say something about ice. "Ice? Down here? That's strange; I hadn't heard anything about it. I'm sure it's important to somebody, though. Thanks, Linn." By his tone, he might have just thanked a merchant for an unadvertised 'discount.'

Spoiler
    Show
    As a refresher, here's the basic arrangement of the party:
    Ulf and Kayte are down the shaft. Arfondt is just inside the shaft. Sir Kylen has recently climbed down from the shaft (which is horizontal, by the way) to inspect his bag of goodies. Crennick, Rach, and Erwin are all waiting on the ledge.

With Kayte's explanation, I assume she moved closer to the mouth of the shaft so that the others could hear her. I figure she's now nearer to Arfondt than to Ulf (unless Ulf followed her back).

Willem apparently stayed at the crack to see/hear what he could, since he caught some of what was said.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

Arfondt whispers to the others behind him ""I'll go have a look at that", then he squeezes himself further into the shaft towards Ulf. Moving close so that Willem won't be able to listen in on their conversation, he whispers into his ear "Can you tell me more about what you've found and where?"

19. - Top - End - #259

Kylen, still silent, rummages through the bag with his fingers, to see if anything besides coins is inside, then pulls a few out at random and squints to see their make or material.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Banned

Chaim

"Good day." Chaim repeats, and touches his hat (a new one he got from home since his was washed away).

He puts his hands behind his back as he walks with troubled thoughts from the building. Once outside he heads back for the collapsed part of the street to look for someone to get recent information on.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-08-30 at 10:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261

TPP

Above

As you make your way down from the high point of the city toward the site of the morning's misadventure, you note the distinctive red-plumed hat of the message runner bobbing just ahead.

Below

Kylen can feel the peculiar softness of gold in the smallest of the coins; but some of the larger seem to be silver. Crennick comes up to him. "Wotcha got there?"

"It's down the shaft a ways," Ulf whispers back to Arfondt, "past where that kid is standing on the other side of the wall. You'll start to feel the cold air, and then the rock itself gets icy. I came back here before I investigated it all the way; but I can't see how something like that wouldn't be caused by magic." Ulf plucked at the lapel of Arfondt's robe. "You know something about magic? Maybe you can figure it out. I can--we can--go with you if you want."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

Arfondt nods to Ulf "That certainly sounds intriguing. I have to admit I'd be feeling a little uncomfortable going there on my own, so I would appreciate it if we could go together. And yes, I do know a thing or two about magic, being an associate at the mage's guild. So lets go see what's going on there. Maybe you could lead the way?"

Following closely behing the dwarf, Arfondt makes his way to the strangely frozen rocks. Moving his fingers in a complicated manner, he casts a spell and his eyes seem to take on a bluish hint.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting detect magic and taking his time to scan the entire area, concentrating on any auras he might sense to find out as much as possible.

23. - Top - End - #263

Below

The situation is relayed to the others, who also insist on going.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you character would stay behind, just say so.

The group crawls down the shaft past Willem, who is demanding to be informed what is happening.

Arfondt invokes his magic at the edge of the icy section and sees that...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...that the icy surface gives off no aura; so if it's caused by a magical effect, it's either out of range or on the other side of the solid stone.

If you maintain concentration, you still have plenty of duration remaining.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264

Below

The frost starts about twenty feet beyond the crack where Willem is and coats all sides of the shaft. There is no clear line of demarcation between the frosted and unfrosted sections.

If you can see in this meager light, it appears that the frost grows heavier farther on and eventually builds up in layers, constricting the shaft somewhat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Kayte decides to remain with Willem at his eye-level, trying to distract him from the goings on of her allies in the shaft. "Look, Willem, just trust me for one moment and step back a bit from this crack. I'm trying to convince my comrades that we need to break through the rock here." She seems somewhat uninterested in discovering that much more about the ice, though the detail remains in her mind. Focusing mentally on the idea of ice in the shaft, she immediately remembers an old story her mother had told her about an ice king somewhere below the city. She never believed them, and still didn't, but the ice oddly reminded her of her mother. She had always been weak of constitution. It is sad to me still. Somehow, Kayte manages to keep a completely straight face in front of Willem, though her mind seems to be completely separate from her actions now.

26. - Top - End - #266

Kylen whispers to Crennik, "Some unfortunate soul's money purse - it was lodged amidst the rats' nests."

Shoving the bag into a convenient pocket for further examination, he creeps after Arfondt down the icy tunnel.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

"Let me check something" Arfondt whispers to Ulf, crawling back to the crevice where Willam stood before. He peeks through it, trying to pick up magical auras on the other side.

28. - Top - End - #268

TPP

Above

[Repost:]
    As you make your way down from the high point of the city toward the site of the morning's misadventure, you note the distinctive red-plumed hat of a message runner bobbing just ahead.

Below

Willem frowns, crosses his arms, and steps back.

Arfondt approaches the crack and sees...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...nothing of note. (Willem isn't very notable, either.)

Willem drops his hands. "Hey, wait a sec! Didn't you say earlier you couldn't bust through here?"

With a grunt, Crennick follows--the last into the hole.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Banned

Chaim glances up at the man before him and calls out, "Excuse me, messenger, a word to your ear?"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Kayte looks at Willem with a smile on her face. "No, I said I didn't have any way to break through. One of the people in here is a miner or something, he said he might be able to break through the rock or something like that. Not exactly sure what he's gonna do, but I think you'd better just stand back there."