New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Investigator

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Investigator

We just started a campaign at level 1, and am wanting some feedback on the build I have.
    I'm not looking to be overpowered, but effective. Looking to be a buffer/ranged attacker.
    Any constructive criticism would be deeply appreciated! :D

Here he is:
    Human Investigator
    STR. 10
    DEX. 18 (+4)
    CON. 14 (+2)
    INT. 24 (+7)
    WIS. 12 (+1)
    CHA. 12 (+1)
    HP: (19d8 + 48)
    AC: ?
    FORT. +9 (+6 Base, +3 CON)
    RFLX. +16 (+12 Base, +4 DEX)
    WILL. +13 (+12 Base, +1 WIS)
    BAB: +15/+10/+5
    INIT. +4
    Speed: Run 30ft
    Attacks:
    +5 Heavy Crossbow +22 hit
    3d10+6 120ft 19-20*2 Crit. (+9d6 Studied Strike)

SQ/Traits:

Rich Parents: You were born into a rich family, perhaps even the nobility, and even though you turned to a life of adventure, you enjoy a one-time benefit to your initial finances—your starting wealth increases to 900gp.

Pragmatic Activator: While some figure out how to use magical devices with stubborn resolve, your approach is more pragmatic. You may use your Intelligence modifier when making Use Magic Device checks instead of your Charisma modifier.

Inspiration 16/day (+2d8)

Extracts per day:
    1st: 7/day
    2nd: 7/day
    3rd: 7/day
    4th: 6/day
    5th: 6/day
    6th: 6/day

Feats:

HB: Point Blank Shot
    1st: Precise Shot
    3rd: Rapid Reload
    5th: Rapid Shot
    7th: Crossbow Mastery
    9th: Weapon Focus – Heavy Crossbow
    11th: Ranged Study
    13th: Vital Strike
    15th: Improved Vital Strike
    17th: Potion Glutton
    19th: Inspired Alchemy

Investigator Talents:
    3rd: Infusion
    5th: Extend Potion
    7th: Trap Spotter
    9th: Combine Extracts (8)
    11th: Amazing Inspiration (7)
    13th: Tenacious Inspiration (13)
    15th: Combat Inspiration (9)
    17th: Eternal Potion (16)
    19th: Greater Combat Inspiration (19)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Investigator

You should be getting Ranged Study way sooner than 11, especially since you plan to start at 1st level - Studied Combat is essential for your DPR. Without it, you will likely miss, especially if you're trying to use Rapid Shot (which hurts your accuracy further.) At most I would plan to have WF by 3 so you can have RS by 5.

Speaking of which, I would also go with a light crossbow - the heavy one doesn't add much more damage, but its twice as heavy and takes longer to reload. The range difference doesn't matter because you can't be too far away and use SS anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't go with Rich Parents, a trait which will rapidly become useless- try Student of Philosophy or Bruising Intellect or something.

If you're going ranged (not recommended, given how many feats you need to still be inferior to melee) , the Steel Hound archetype might be worth it. You lose range with a pistol, but you needed to be within 30ft for Studied Combat anyway... Otherwise, Empiricist. Just... Empiricist.

Since you don't have and can't get Brew Potion like the Alchemist proper, it's probably not worth taking the potion extracts.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Since you don't have and can't get Brew Potion like the Alchemist proper, it's probably not worth taking the potion extracts.
    I disagree. You can buy potions and reuse them with Alchemical Allocation. But you should take Enhance Potion instead of Extend Potion. Quick and dirty example:

4th level Investigator with Alchemical Allocation, a Potion of Protection from Evil (CL 1) and:

Extend Potion -> Duration 2 Minutes.
    Enhance Potion -> Duration 4 Minutes.

And since you can't brew potions with significant feat investment in your own "caster" level you have to either take 2 feats or have a subpar feat that was made for Alchemists not Investigators.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Like others have mention.... Empiricist is just too good to pass up you should be taking that as your archetype to make you one SAD skill monkey that way you save one trait and can dump charisma period by taking student of philosophy.
    Blarg...

6. - Top - End - #6

BardGuy

I wouldn't go with Rich Parents, a trait which will rapidly become useless- try Student of Philosophy or Bruising Intellect or something.

If you're going ranged (not recommended, given how many feats you need to still be inferior to melee) , the Steel Hound archetype might be worth it. You lose range with a pistol, but you needed to be within 30ft for Studied Combat anyway... Otherwise, Empiricist. Just... Empiricist.

I would have done exactly this, but there are only two problems.

1. Gunslingers and firearms in general were banned. Sadness. Sadness everywhere.
    2. Rich parents was mandatory from the DM, as we are a band of "lesser" nobles that have come together quite awkwardly for the greater good.

I looked at empiricist, and some of the reviews. I didn't particularly like it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    I would have done exactly this, but there are only two problems.
    Ah. Shame.
    I looked at empiricist, and some of the reviews. I didn't particularly like it.
    How so? It gives up poison (ineffective without a lot of effort) and swift alchemy (fairly unnecessary, and not very effective past low levels) to get Int to 4 (very good) skills and some lovely Will save bonuses. What's not to like?
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

The only thing that bothered me was the altering of the True Inspiration endcap. I really like to idea of adding 2d8 rather than 1d6 on my skill checks, but i see your point.

Empiricist could be better than my initial estimation. The DM is not fond of illusions, so it is unlikely that bit will be used at all.

9. - Top - End - #9

Empiricist is good, but not a must have like it was back when a typo let you use Int on all skills. If your GM allows you to use the Unchained affliction rules then poisons become significantly nastier. Combined with the feats from Dirty Tactics Toolbox that let you boost your poison DCs, fighting with poisons is actually a pretty viable option now.

That being said, it'll be a difficult for a Ranged Investigator to pull off that build as it requires several feats and that's just not something you'll have available. At best, you won't be dealing significant damage until level 5, when you'll be able to pick up Ranged Study. You'll also need Rapid Reload if you want to have iterative attacks with a Light Crossbow.

I'd suggest considering the Psychic Detective archetype with a ranged Investigator build. You're giving up the infusions and alchemical abilities, but gaining some really strong control and utility magic. Starting off with Color Spray to supplement your ranged attacks gives you a lot of combat ability without sacrificing any of your skill-monkeying.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NightbringerGGZ View Post
    Empiricist is good, but not a must have like it was back when a typo let you use Int on all skills.
    Empiricist never gave int to all skills. Mastermind used to have a typo that gave inspiration to all skills, but Empiricist has no changes in either the errata or FAQs.
    Last edited by Anlashok; 2015-10-16 at 05:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Empiricist never gave int to all skills. Mastermind used to have a typo that gave inspiration to all skills, but Empiricist has no changes in either the errata or FAQs.
    Thanks for the correction! I was remembering.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

[QUOTE=NightbringerGGZ;19958383]Empiricist is good, but not a must have like it was back when a typo let you use Int on all skills. If your GM allows you to use the Unchained affliction rules then poisons become significantly nastier. Combined with the feats from Dirty Tactics Toolbox that let you boost your poison DCs, fighting with poisons is actually a pretty viable option now.QUOTE]

As far as I know, we aren't using anything from the Unchained bit, but I will ask next session.

The only reason I don't want to get into melee is because between the barbarian, the druid's Roc, and everything the Conjuress summons, there really isn't much room on the grid. So i figured by going ranged, I can stay away from getting hit, and make the most of my skills by being mobile on the battlefield; pair that with my already excellent skill set (especially now that I have read more in depth with Empiricist), I can function fairly well regardles of the environment/situation.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    The only thing that bothered me was the altering of the True Inspiration endcap. I really like to idea of adding 2d8 rather than 1d6 on my skill checks, but i see your point.
    Yeah, level 20 abilities are rarely worth stressing about, in my opinion. Unless you're planning on going epic, they're not going to see much play.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Yeah, level 20 abilities are rarely worth stressing about, in my opinion. Unless you're planning on going epic, they're not going to see much play.
    This is true. I often get excited planning out my characters, and forget to think realistically about how high the characters in the campaign are likely to get. In this campaign, I suspect 11th would be the highest we will go.