New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy?

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Are you happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Trystane View Post
    Yeah, I am. I got to spend time with a really cool guy today, and afterwards he told me I'm a fun person.

The rest of my life's pretty alright, don't get me wrong, but right now, he's the thing making me grin like an idiot.
    Man, that's a great feeling. Cheers to you!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm 27 but I still feel rather young. I think some Greek philosopher (Aristotle? I don't actually study classics much) said that happiness was something that was decided about your life after you had lived the entire thing. Sounds about right to me. I like having learned about some things and it seems like there are a few hidden worlds ahead.

Not all is well but nothing unbearable. I'm most concerned about not having many friends. Seems like the other people in my life are mostly struggling or getting old or already gone. The few who are following some dreams are really neat, though.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm.. Yes, I'm pretty much happy. Part of it may be that I accepted that my expectations on life were pretty much BS, dropped them and stopped worrying. If I was a big fat panda, I'd say "inner peace".

On the other hand, my house is paid off. I quit a six-figure salary job last year, allowed me to take the time for all the mental wounds to heal while enjoying the opportunity to dig into the whole greek and roman classics and with the start of the next year, I'll open my own business and give that a try.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    No matter how dry a period you're going through right now, tale comfort in the fact that it won't last forever.

Here are the flowers currently growing in the world's driest desert:

That is utterly stunning.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    No matter how dry a period you're going through right now, tale comfort in the fact that it won't last forever.

Here are the flowers currently growing in the world's driest desert:

Amazing. Doesn't change anything in my life though. Doesn't make anything better, or give me hope that people can change.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

No, i am not. Perhaps someday

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I work at Wal-Mart, and am a 31-year-old single male. I'm pretty sure I've uttered the words "I wish I was dead" multiple times a week.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Two years ago, I would have said I was happy. I didn't really date much anymore, since I'd had bad luck in that regard; nevertheless, I've got great friends, a decent job, and own my own home. I was happy.

Last year, I met a girl who aggressively pursued a relationship with me, despite the distance. We officially got into a relationship around Christmas last year, and next year she's moving up here to live with me. Now I know what happy can be, and realize two years ago, I was merely content.

It's amazing what the right relationship can do to your perspective.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

More than I've ever been.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AlHazred View Post
    Two years ago, I would have said I was happy. I didn't really date much anymore, since I'd had bad luck in that regard; nevertheless, I've got great friends, a decent job, and own my own home. I was happy.

Last year, I met a girl who aggressively pursued a relationship with me, despite the distance. We officially got into a relationship around Christmas last year, and next year she's moving up here to live with me. Now I know what happy can be, and realize two years ago, I was merely content.

It's amazing what the right relationship can do to your perspective.
    As someone who was once capital-h Happy in a relationship, I know that now I'm merely content--but for now, content is good. Given the rough patch I was in recently, I'd prefer being content to being happy with risk of heartbreak.

I know that's not really related to what you had to say, I just wanted to put my two copper in that second place ain't bad, in my opinion. But 100% congrats that things are going well for you!

11. - Top - End - #71

Fallout 4 hasn't come out yet, so no. I'm not happy.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Im honestly not sure, i have an ok job (it pays my bills and gives me extra money to spend, plus its usually a 4 day work week), my dog is adorable, i own my car, and i should have my house paid off in about 7 years. However i am single and have been for 6 years, and i think its legitimately starting to depress me, and i think my mind is stuck in the "What the F*** is the point???" loop and that is not good either. I guess i would say im "meh" with occasional "sad" which gets overridden with "happy" when im at session.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

13. - Top - End - #73
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

There are ups and downs, but yeah. I'd say I am happy.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

People that are happy are nothing more than smug fools who love to lord their good fortune over those spat on by fate, and mistakenly attribute good luck and genetics to their own hard work and effort.
    So no, I'm not happy, and I eagerly await the day I finally get to die.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    People that are happy are nothing more than smug fools who love to lord their good fortune over those spat on by fate, and mistakenly attribute good luck and genetics to their own hard work and effort.
    Would you like to discuss this topic, or is this perhaps more of a vent?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Would you like to discuss this topic, or is this perhaps more of a vent?
    I would, but none of you want to.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

I want to, or I wouldn't be following your Personal Woes thread as much as I am.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

More than I was. The anxiety i've felt every semester has faded over the last few weeks... and two days ago i got 4000 words written in 3 hours worth of work.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #79

This discussion would probably warrant a separate thread, but if you're still interested come next week, I'll gladly trade my few cents for yours, and hopefully we can both learn something interesting of the world. I find a fresh perspective always welcome, especially if it's outside my understanding.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    This discussion would probably warrant a separate thread, but if you're still interested come next week, I'll gladly trade my few cents for yours, and hopefully we can both learn something interesting of the world. I find a fresh perspective always welcome, especially if it's outside my understanding.
    She's actually come to a much better mental state and is taking lots of good actions towards a healthier being. Granted she still might want to chat in general about that, but it's up to her, not me.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

In short, no. In long, I feel like maybe I could be happy with my lot in life but enough of my family members seem to think that I should be unhappy so I am. All the while I get confused when confronted with the questions, "What do I want from life? What would make me happy?" I honestly have no clue.

Then there's the fact that I'm going to need to move before next Summer. I live in an area where rent keeps going up, so even if I find a place that's livable there's a good chance that I'll get evicted after a year. I guess I have the option of quitting my job and moving in with my parents in the small town they live in, though there's not really a lot of opportunity there. So I feel like in the near future I'll have to choose between being jobless and being homeless.

Sorry, I'm probably making this out to be a bigger catastrophe than it actually is.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

It's amazing how much a perspective-altering event caused me to be happier.

About 2 months ago, I badly dislocated my left kneecap while trying to move a box spring solo. Fortunately, my wife, taking a shower, heard my yowls of agony and headed for the phone, so it didn't go long without treatment.

Nevertheless, for weeks, I was staggering around pretty much one-legged, on crutches. Despite physical therapy, etc., it was just impossible to get my leg to start bending again. Nobody could figure out why, there was no damage visible on x-rays and it theoretically should have been bending, but it wasn't.

Then, one day, I massaged my knee and felt something small and softish pop back into place.

Now, about a month after that happened, I can walk 95% normally again. I'm still a little slow going up stairs, but I can hike around at speed, kneel down to get stuff, sit down on the floor and stand up again, etc. For a couple of weeks, I was afraid some weird permanent damage had been done and I wouldn't be able to walk properly; I absolutely love walking outdoors, it's one of my biggest pleasures.

So, with my leg pretty much functional again, I've been in a state of nearly manic optimism for about 2 weeks now. It feels so great just to be back to normal that the problems previously oppressing me now seem relatively trivial and I'm much happier, at least temporarily!
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

By my definition, happiness is just good luck, in sum total through your life. Hmm...

. I'm not starving, am intelligent enough to have over a 4.0 GPA, am reasonably attractive by the words of those I've met, have a wonderful dog, and no dire health problems. I'm also underweight, which is often seen as a good thing.

. My father died recently, I've never met my mother, I probably have schizoaffective disorder, and, while my father was alive, he was a druggie and alcoholic.

Soo... Moderately happy, then?
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybobby99 View Post
    By my definition, happiness is just good luck, in sum total through your life.
    An old term for "good luck" is actually the root of the word "happiness".

25. - Top - End - #85

NecromancerGuy

I'm even less happy than I was last time I posted. Watching someone you care about die will do that though, so that's to be expected here.

Let the record show: Cancer sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's strange how having a different native language makes you think about this sort of question whenever they appear, especially if it's a language that separates the verb be in two (one permanent "be", as in "I am a human being" and one related to current state, as in "I am tired").

That said, I wouldn't say I'm happy at the moment, but I'm not especially sad either. Things have been a bit tough during the last couple of years, but hey, I'm still up and going, you know.

You know when people ask you "where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

Well, I'd probably never guess the answer to that. During the last years I worked as a teacher in some small schools, entered a philosophy course at the university, dropped out, played in quite a few local bands, worked as a clown and as a waiter, went back to the university to study linguistics, started learning how to play the guitar, banjo, fiddle, harmonica and tin whistle. I was employed by a big school and got a decent pay, then I felt it was costing my time and my soul (and my happiness), so I quit. I moved and moved back after it didn't go well, saw some riots, became unemployed, wrote a book and somehow managed to keep DMing a decade-long D&D game with some close friends.

It may sound like a lot of stuff, but, then again, I didn't finish anything, most probably due to the lack of focusing on one thing. There's no phrase that says so much to me as "jack of all trades, master of none".

Being a Factotum sounds really nice on paper, and yeah, it made me learn a lot about life and collect lots of good stories, which I think are really something to treasure, but boy, sure it's exhausting when you're out of those inspiration points. I feel... absent, maybe.
    Proud member of fan club.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Spider_Jerusalem View Post
    It's strange how having a different native language makes you think about this sort of question whenever they appear, especially if it's a language that separates the verb be in two (one permanent "be", as in "I am a human being" and one related to current state, as in "I am tired").
    It's even more interesting when you're bilingual (especially an early and/or simultaneous bilingual) and can approach it from the perspective of either type of a language (or even better if you're trilingual or more; I'm endlessly jealous of a friend of mine who's learned Finnish, Hungarian and German in childhood). "Switch" to thinking through the other language and suddenly the question seems entirely different. This works for a surprisingly large pool of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Drynwyn View Post
    An old term for "good luck" is actually the root of the word "happiness".
    "Hap" isn't really even archaic. While that particular incarnation has a relatively low frequency and it's certainly not used in the speech act of wishing someone luck (we should collectively start wishing people "Hap to you!" and see if it caught on), the word appears in the expression "mishap" fairly often, and "hap" itself does see some use especially in literature - though also in the context of "happenstance".
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Firbolg in the Playground

smile Re: Are you happy?

I am happy.

Currently happy, persistently happy, the state of happiness.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2015-12-09 at 11:08 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

I am very happy

tow people put a comment I made in their signature
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

I feel an intense desire to revise my earlier statement about happiness.

Hell no, I'm not.

Right now I fluctuating rapidly between severely depressed and extremely angry.

Both of which send me further into depression.

So... yay.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!