New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default I don't get all the "Roy is/was Holding Back" idea

Hello All,

So in the most recent comic "Giving up Hope" #1009 . We see Roy attack Durkula with his mighty green sword which he did not "activate" before. The concept of Roy holding back using his full power on Durkula has been coming up recently and in the discussion thread of this strip.

I understand that Roy might have thought that Durkula is actually a warped Durkon, and spared his sword but instead attempted to reason with him. However this line of thought would only work if killing Durkula would also permanently kill Durkon.

Roy and Durkula (pretending to be Durkon) were talking about resurrecting/restoring Durkon. Roy due to his lack of knowledge on the subject might have thought that such a process might be done (restoration) where killing Durkula would not be necessary, but he would also take the resurrection option, killing Durkula and raising Durkon.

What I am trying to convey here is that Roy has absolutely no logical reason to hold back attacking Durkula to begin with. Simply by attacking Roy in such a critical moment Durkula gives Roy all the reasons that would justify Roy killing Durkula on a silver platter. He can simply (figuratively) kill Durkula, eliminate a threat to the world, and resurrect the good old Durkon afterwards.

So the question is, why was Roy holding back attacking Durkula to begin with?
    Last edited by guguma; 2015-10-20 at 04:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: I don't get all the "Roy is/was Holding Back" idea

Quote Originally Posted by guguma View Post
    Hello All,

So in the most recent comic "Giving up Hope" #1009 . We see Roy attack Durkula with his mighty green sword which he did not "activate" before. The concept of Roy holding back using his full power on Durkula has been coming up recently and in the discussion thread of this strip.

I understand that Roy might have thought that Durkula is actually a warped Durkon, and spared his sword but instead attempted to reason with him. However this line of thought would only work if killing Durkula would also permanently kill Durkon.

Roy and Durkula (pretending to be Durkon) were talking about resurrecting/restoring Durkon. Roy due to his lack of knowledge on the subject might have thought that such a process might be done (restoration) where killing Durkula would not be necessary, but he would also take the resurrection option, killing Durkula and raising Durkon.

What I am trying to convey here is that Roy has absolutely no logical reason to hold back attacking Durkula to begin with. Simply by attacking Roy in such a critical moment Durkula gives Roy all the reasons that would justify Roy killing Durkula on a silver platter. He can simply (figuratively) kill Durkula, eliminate a threat to the world, and resurrect the good old Durkon afterwards.

So the question is, why was Roy holding back attacking Durkula to begin with?
    It's not that Roy was deliberately holding back. He was just having a really hard time fighting his best friend, which was having a major impact on his combat performance. Roy's discovery that it isn't Durkon has the dual effect of removing that barrier and making Roy pissed that some evil force is imitating his dead friend.

As for the activation of the sword, it's been speculated that Roy cannot initiate the green glow at will - it appears to be a crit effect or something affected by Roy's emotions. Since Roy's heart wasn't in the fight up until this point, it didn't go off.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

He was holding back because his sword doesn't come with an on/off switch for his emotional state. While he was striking as best he could, his sword (which seems to be in tune with his emotions) reacted to his reluctance to fight and didn't activate its magic Destroy The Undead property until Roy gave up his reluctance. We know for a fact Roy's not in control of when the starmetal blade activates - at least, not consciously. So that's the major premise for 'holding back'.

Also, destroying Durkon's body seems to be dangerous. Malack's death to the sun is considered permanent, even when you consider much of Tarquin's group could have a pocket cleric for true resurrections. So... by the rules of this universe (which I'm not super familiar with), I'm just willing to guess they NEED Durkon's body to revive him conveniently. So...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

The green glow only seems to trigger when Roy is both very angry and fighting someone he hates. So far, it's triggered for Sabine (after she provoked him), Miko, Xykon, and now HPoH. The sword's effect didn't trigger until now against HPoH, because he was reluctant and conflicted, not angry.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

What I am trying to convey here is that Roy has absolutely no logical reason to hold back attacking Durkula to begin with.
    No logical reason, yeah. But fighting the corpse of your best friend falls firmly in the emotional category.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    No logical reason, yeah. But fighting the corpse of your best friend falls firmly in the emotional category.
    This.

Like is the usual thing of "you can't fight me if I take the appearance of one of your friends even if you know I'm not him/her". Or worse, "you can't fight me if I take YOUR appearance".

So far, Roy thought that he was facing evil-Durkon. That Durkon's attitude was slightly influenced by that. Ok, destroying him and having Durkon raised was supposed to have him back to normal, but it's kind a rude thing to do to a friend.
    "I don't like the new you, I think the old one was the real one!"

If one of your friends change his attitude toward you because he god a boyfriend/girlfriend or a child or another change, you don't break this because you liked him better as he was. Even if he regrets what he was.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noka View Post
    Also, destroying Durkon's body seems to be dangerous. Malack's death to the sun is considered permanent, even when you consider much of Tarquin's group could have a pocket cleric for true resurrections.
    Undead can't be resurrected. And, after 200-odd years, even resurrecting the-shaman-that-Malack's-body-once-was would be on the verge of timing out (you'd need an epic cleric).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Undead can't be resurrected. And, after 200-odd years, even resurrecting the-shaman-that-Malack's-body-once-was would be on the verge of timing out (you'd need an epic cleric).
    And as Malack himself pointed out, the person he was 200 years ago was entirely different to the vampire, and the vampire was the person that Tarquin et al. knew--why would they be interested in resurrecting some shaman from 200 years ago who doesn't know them?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And as Malack himself pointed out, the person he was 200 years ago was entirely different to the vampire, and the vampire was the person that Tarquin et al. knew--why would they be interested in resurrecting some shaman from 200 years ago who doesn't know them?
    I understood that the spirit of Malack was merged into negative energy or something like that. So it's... totally destroyed. It's not like a soul that goes in an afterlife?

It makes it surprising that in #991, HPoH thinks he can sit at Hel's side as her chosen servant. Three obvious possibilities here:
    - He doesn't know himself that it wouldn't work that way and that he's expendable.
    - He intends to leave earth before it's destruction and get into Hel's hall through a spell.
    - Vampires doesn't work like that and the spirit of a destroyed vampire acts like a soul. So technically, next time a vampire is created and Nerggal gets to put a soul into it, he could get Malack back on tracks. Except if only a new spirit can go in a new vampire.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, he did, several times, power attack for non-lethal damage (I think that is the term), interpreted as hitting with the side of the blade, knocking durkula across the room.
    Verigated Opinionator of the Polls Fan Club
    To do a spoiler, surround it in spoiler tags like this:[spoiler]Darth Vadar is Skywalker's Father[/spoiler]. To show someone else how to do a spoiler, use noparse tags like this: [noparse][spoiler]Miko will stay Dead[/spoiler][/noparse]. To show someone else how to demonstrate spoiler tags, use multiple noparse tags like this [noparse][noparse][spoiler]Recursion is like recursion, only shorter[/spoiler][/noparse][/noparse]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

What I am trying to convey here is that Roy has absolutely no logical reason to hold back attacking Durkula to begin with.
    Too bad Roy is a human, and humans rarely use logic when making important decisions, ESPECIALLY when under duress.

There's a HUGE difference between thinking "hey, I need to kill my best friend" and actually doing it.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-10-20 at 08:36 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Consider it this way.

You have a good friend and they have developed a mental illness.
    There is a cure for the illness, but there is no guarrentee that fixing the illness will undo the affects on the mind.

You make allowances for them while they seek a cure.
    One day they snap and become a threat to everyone around them and you try to stop them, but they are still talking to you as your friend and you respond in kind - hoping to break through to them.

Then they say/do something that makes it fully clear to you that your friend is not home anymore and whatever mental illness they have effectively makes them a different person (and a person that your friend would hate), and they are still a threat to everyone around them.
    At this point the dynamic changes from trying to get through to the person they are deep down - to trying to honour the person they were.

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    The green glow only seems to trigger when Roy is both very angry and fighting someone he hates. So far, it's triggered for Sabine (after she provoked him), Miko, Xykon, and now HPoH. The sword's effect didn't trigger until now against HPoH, because he was reluctant and conflicted, not angry.
    And against Malack's mummies in the pyramid...
    Last edited by Quebbster; 2015-10-20 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added link

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    And against Malack's mummies in the pyramid...
    They're Draketooth and Girard pissed him big time .
    Plus that guy they used a Resurrection spell on for nothing.
    Plus that guy with the rift joke.

Deep inside, Roy hates the Draketooth!

Well, he did, several times, power attack for non-lethal damage (I think that is the term), interpreted as hitting with the side of the blade, knocking durkula across the room.
    I don't think that it's what is showed actually. The very intend may have been to knockback HPoH, which is done by an attack that doesn't deal damages.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

And against Girard's Gate. Roy secretly hates the whole world and wants to see it snarled.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    They're Draketooth and Girard pissed him big time .
    Plus that guy they used a Resurrection spell on for nothing.
    Plus that guy with the rift joke.

Deep inside, Roy hates the Draketooth!

I don't think that it's what is showed actually. The very intend may have been to knockback HPoH, which is done by an attack that doesn't deal damages.
    Okay so the green hue effect triggered a few more times than I remembered

Anyhow, I really doubt he was attempting to do nonlethal damage, since undead are immune to nonlethal damage.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Lightbulb Re: I don't get all the "Roy is/was Holding Back" idea

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It's not that Roy was deliberately holding back. He was just having a really hard time fighting his best friend, which was having a major impact on his combat performance. Roy's discovery that it isn't Durkon has the dual effect of removing that barrier and making Roy pissed that some evil force is imitating his dead friend.

As for the activation of the sword, it's been speculated that Roy cannot initiate the green glow at will - it appears to be a crit effect or something affected by Roy's emotions. Since Roy's heart wasn't in the fight up until this point, it didn't go off.
    I want argue, also, the sword is providing healing in a certain condition ? is a green hilt, green glowing magical sword. if is not this the dramatic time to discover a new feat, when would be ?
    The poor Roy has got only a weapon upgrade, while the bard has gotten two, and he fights like an incontinent weasel.

I mean, Rich (hey, awesome job!) fixes art if an error is notice, and has not fixed the lacking of injury in Roy.*

* (if is not a silent heal cast by an invisible niece of Redclock luring around)

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

I understood that the spirit of Malack was merged into negative energy or something like that. So it's... totally destroyed. It's not like a soul that goes in an afterlife?
    The soul of the un-named shaman who became Malack was presumably freed from its prison upon Malack's death, though, and it's him that would get resurrected if they somehow found a cleric high level level to True Rez someone who died 200 years ago.

19. - Top - End - #19

The soul of the un-named shaman who became Malack was presumably freed from its prison upon Malack's death, though, and it's him that would get resurrected if they somehow found a cleric high level level to True Rez someone who died 200 years ago.
    I know that (including the presumably), but I'm letting it aside, I don't care here.

What I'm wondering if is Malack could come back. I mean, with memories of Tarquin and stuff, with same memories.

Main requirement: Malack (the vampire) spirit wasn't destroyed when the vampire was destroyed and remains somewhere in Nerggal's home or can be extracted from the negative energy plane without losing much.
    Another big requirement: That spirit can be put in another new vampire (or undead, or being), even if it's not the corpse of the shaman that became Malack (HPoH and Veldrina mentionned that vampires fakes organic corpse and are only negative energy. Weird thing), even if it's not a cleric (Malack would have the class and levels of that new being though, would be strange to him). And the new memories to absorb wouldn't transform him.

In shorter:
    Durkon's corpse is being driven around like a stagecoach by an evil spirit.
    Can that evil spirit take another stagecoach at all? Can it leave and get back on that said stagecoach?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

Consider this: If memories are tied to souls, the only reason we don't see epic sorcerer/wizard babies, I'd imagine, is that souls aren't recycled. Why should souls derived from the negative energy plane differ?

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    Consider this: If memories are tied to souls, the only reason we don't see epic sorcerer/wizard babies, I'd imagine, is that souls aren't recycled. Why should souls derived from the negative energy plane differ?
    For the class and levels, the answer is in my parenthesis: (Malack would have the class and levels of that new being though, would be strange to him)

For the memories, because it would be an equivalent of a resurrection spell for a undead rather than of a reincarnation thing.

Grmbl, I checked every page of the new book before checking Hel's speech in the last page of BRitF.
    HPoH's spirit was birthed in Hel's hall. Even if HPoH was sired by Nergal.

Hel had the possibility to put that spirit in Durkon because Durkon was in her purview. It was wondered for some time if that spirit was created before Durkon's death or at that exact moment. The later seems the good answer, but if a vampire's spirit isn't destroyed when the vampire is destroyed and goes back to his god's hall, couldn't it get back to a body the same way it did the first time? Because it was birthed in the hall after all.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

To be fair to Roy here, the last time I was in a fight to the death with my recently vampiric best friend, I wasn't being too logical about the situation either. In hindsight, it was actually a pretty emotional experience for everyone involved.
    (Avatar by Ava)

23. - Top - End - #23

If one is not native to the planet Vulcan, being locked in a fight to the death with one's best friend is a very emotional experience, in which logic does not play a leading role.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since when is the human race logical?

What makes you think Roy is CAPABLE of turning off his emotions and putting his full force into murdering his best friend? It's one thing to know what he has to do, it's quite another to have the resolve to do it without any hesitation, fear, or doubt. Maybe some part of him can't handle the guilt. Maybe some part of him is scared Durkon won't return to his body when the resurrection magic calls. Maybe he's just too emotional to set all his doubts aside no matter if he knows it's the logical thing to do.

Tell you what. Someday if you need to decide whether a friend lives or dies, come back here and tell us how easy it was to make a calm, logical choice.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post
    If one is not native to the planet Vulcan, being locked in a fight to the death with one's best friend is a very emotional experience, in which logic does not play a leading role.
    I'm pretty sure that it's still an emotional experience devoid of logic even if you're from Vulcan, as shown by the classic episode "Amok Time."

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

In shorter:
    Durkon's corpse is being driven around like a stagecoach by an evil spirit.
    Can that evil spirit take another stagecoach at all? Can it leave and get back on that said stagecoach?
    I would be inclined to say not. For a start, becoming a vampire at all is an incredibly rare thing in the Stickverse, per word of Giant: the idea that someone could become a vampire, get destroyed as a vampire and then rezzed, then turn into a vampire again with the same spirit from before riding it seems such a low probability as to be not worth considering. Given that, what use would there be in putting a vampire spirit who's accumulated memories and experiences from one person into a completely different one? It would just make it harder for them to fool people that they're the person in question, because the previous memories would be colouring their opinions.

27. - Top - End - #27

PaladinGuy

This.

Ok, destroying him and having Durkon raised was supposed to have him back to normal, but it's kind a rude thing to do to a friend.
    "I don't like the new you, I think the old one was the real one!"

If one of your friends change his attitude toward you because he god a boyfriend/girlfriend or a child or another change, you don't break this because you liked him better as he was. Even if he regrets what he was.
    Having a girlfriend/boyfriend is still a choice they made. By trying to change that you're privileging your preferences over their free will.

Being murdered by and becoming a vampire does not involve free will. It's not analogous at all.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Given that, what use would there be in putting a vampire spirit who's accumulated memories and experiences from one person into a completely different one? It would just make it harder for them to fool people that they're the person in question, because the previous memories would be colouring their opinions.
    I disagree that a vampire has to act as a person he took over, defaultly. Durkula was a special case, since the charade got him conveniently to the godsmoot and was also the first one done by Hel, ever. Another vampire might just as well be glad to get some experience from his previous ''session.''
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ClockShock View Post
    To be fair to Roy here, the last time I was in a fight to the death with my recently vampiric best friend, I wasn't being too logical about the situation either. In hindsight, it was actually a pretty emotional experience for everyone involved.
    I was going to write something about logic and emotion, but I see that you already won this thread. May I sig this?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I can agree that Roy was holding back his emotions and that might have stopped the green power to come, but from a drawing perspective this attack dont look that big.

Its cool with all the lights and drama related, but the one Roy did right before receiving harm seem much more severe.

Take a look at it...seems like Roy destroyed the armor and only slashed a bit of flesh and the beard....no vital organs hit.

While right before receiving the harm attack Roy cut halfway through Durkon possibly cutting half of his lungs, digestive system and breaking several bones and muscles in the process...no man could survive that attack...and right before that Roy perfurated Durkon's liver or spleen and impaled Durkon.

Only indication of Roy holding back was several non-damage attacks that only throwed Durkon away.