New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (Best of the Thousand) [Semi #2]

830 is strong, but 639 has the most emotional impact on me. I've never really been impressed with Tarquin's speech, though.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (Best of the Thousand) [Semi #2]

They all have merit (or they probably wouldn't be here), but 906 does it for me.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm voting for 830. Absolutely amazing moment for Redcloak.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is such a great bunch of comics. Wow. 830 might be Redcloak's best moment in the main comic thus far, and it really establishes him as a major player in the comic.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

These are all great comics, but my vote goes to 830, by a very tiny advantage.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

550 is deepy emotional and heartwarming. It should win for this alone, really.
    639 is shattering, and probably the strip with the biggest impact, story-wise. Probably it would win for this alone.
    763 is one of the top moment of an epic villain. But Elan already won this one.
    830 testifies the greatness of RedCloack; he's one of the main opponents since the beginning and probably 'til the end. This means something, right?
    906 was the great battle between 2 important characters that are no more with us. A victory for them would be excessive.

so, it's 550, 639 or 830.
    mmm.... today, I'm more inclined toward 830. But really, we're talking about Top League, here.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #37

I think 763: Plotting something, for originality on the narrative.
    There aren't really any exclusive or original ideas on TVTropes. That's kind of the point.
    - Nerd-o-rama.

Avatar by kpenguin, who is gratefully acknowledged!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Those are five EXCELLENT strips. Since I havê to pick one, I'll go with 830.
    Badass Avatar by: Simius. Thanks for making a RPG addicted happy!

Samuel Chesterfield Derringer, Human, Mordentish, Swashbuckler/Lasher, Gentleman, Snob and guy with unfashionable facial hair.

9. - Top - End - #39

WolfInSheepsClothing

Plenty of good strips in there, but... I'm going to go with 830
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

5th place - 763: Nah… Nah… Just some lads talking about tropes. It’s good, but it’s not up to the standard of the others.

4th place - 639: Okay, epic… Epic is the world… And scary… Scary is the second word… But, meh… I love V, I don’t want V to be guilty of genocide

3rd place - 550: Great character development for what is probably my second favourite character…

2nd place - 906: I loved the nice, simple plan working out so well, and such a quick un-messy conclusion. Nale turned on Whiteadder in cell 5, and by the bottom of the page he was dead. When/if we learn more about the history of these two I’ll probably appreciate it a little more. But as of now, it’s good enough for second place.

1st place - 830: Tsukiko gets some well-earned comeuppance. Redcloak is as sweet and cool as a Mint Aero and as foul and misguided as a Pork Bounty. And we learn a little bit more of the truth behind it all. I love this one… It’s not my favourite strip of all time, not even close, but these are all brilliant and it’s the best of the five. Seven thumbs up.

My vote is for numero 830.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I really don't understand why people like #639 - artistically it's the same image 50 times, otherwise it's an unimaginative act of genocide.

My favourite two are #763 and #830 - the self-defining moments for the two best villains, both raising some interesting ideas beyond 'kill everyone'.

Of those, Tarquin is a side character while Redcloak is the primary antagonist of the comic (if you believe his speech, which I mostly do). So I'll vote for #830.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FLHerne View Post
    I really don't understand why people like #639 - artistically it's the same image 50 times, otherwise it's an unimaginative act of genocide.
    I think most people think of it as an unimaginable act of genocide (at least by V), and that's why they like it.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    I think most people think of it as an unimaginable act of genocide (at least by V), and that's why they like it.
    Well, yeah, but still - an unimaginable act of genocide isn't a phenomenally creative or unique idea. It's powerful because it's terrible, not necessarily because it's exceptional storytelling. Which is why I'll be very disappointed if #639 wins.

To be clear, I don't think Familicide was bad storytelling. I think it was told very well. But it's not the most impressive strip in the history of OOTS.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2015-10-25 at 05:18 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

830, undoubtedly one of the great strips of OOTS.
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I have to choose?

I love anything to do with Tarquin: his motivation, his genre savviness, anything. I really wanted to vote for 763.
    But...for far-reaching implications that make the story that much more intense? For demonstrating the cold-blooded ruthlessness that is Redcloak? For showing just how wrong Tsukiko's worldview is?
    #830 has my vote.

16. - Top - End - #46

BardGirl

763 For Tarquin, Literature, Must Win, Everything others Have Already Said.
    Im On My Phone, Falling Asleep, But I Need to get My Vote in
    It's like they say where I come from:

"Não quer brincar, não desce pro Play." - "If you don't wanna play, don't come down to the Playground."

: "Make peace with your god."
    : "I can't! He's in my pocket!"

17. - Top - End - #47

NecromancerGuy

My vote goes to 830, without hesitation.
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

830. This shows just how smart and ruthless redcloak really is.
    I am a Neutral Good Elf Druid/Wizard

: "Disintegrate. Gust of wind. Now can we please resume saving the world?"
    : "Your approval fills me with shame."
    Never, EVER pick up a duck in a dungeon!

19. - Top - End - #49

These are all really good, but I got to give me you vote 763 - Plotting Something. I absolutely love Tarquin's speech about what makes a good villain, and shows that at the end of the day, things like this can happen all around us. Villains can live and exploit people all their lives and someone will eventually come to stop them, but that doesn't change the fact they got to live as kings at the expense of thousands, or even millions of people for all their lives. It may just be a comic, but the moral of this strip has stuck with me, and I think it's one of the most memorable strips of the entire comic, just like Tarquin would have wanted.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

You know, there are a lot of loud, brash, in-your-face momentous strips here. But I think I'm going to vote for something quiet and understated, but no less awesome, dammit.

550 isn't going to win. It won't even pass on to the finals. But it is so damn beautiful that it deserves my vote.

And with that....

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

830 - Tidying Up is the winner of this semi-final! It now moves on to the finals for the Best of the Thousand tournament!

Keeping ahold of Wild Card slot #1 is 367 - Innocent Man which had 15 votes in the last semi.

Taking over Wild Card Slot #2 is 763 - Plotting Something which had 11 votes in this semi.

Full Results are as follows:

.............THE STICK AWARDS II:
    ..BEST OF THE THOUSAND TOURNAMENT
    ......... (Semi-Final #2)

Comic Number Votes Received Vote Percentage

Please join us as we conclude The Stick Awards II: Second Edition, in this thread here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-10-27 at 03:07 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb