New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,477 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed V: Your Familiar

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Something I've been thinking about - while Andi may have been "fixing the ship for 15 years" it's possible that she only became head engineer very recently.

Because the person Julio gives the "aft propellers to full" order to, is Peg Leg Guy:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html

and, in the same strip, somebody who looks like Andi (long pale brown hair, red outfit, not too different from the first Andi scene in Blood Runs In The Family):

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0935.html

is dropping alchemist's fire instead.

Just thought it was interesting, that Andi may have appeared long before her "first notable appearance".
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    You know what I think about that Hamish! Glad to have another in the Andi Firedropper camp.
    The outfit and hair color are close, but not exact; Andi also has pretty pronounced bangs (even to a certain degree as a teenager). And according to her, she's been engineer/repairs for fifteen years (assuming that's what "fixing it" means), so I think it's unlikely-- but not impossible-- she would be on alchemist's fire duty in that scenario instead of manning the engines.

Seems like a stretch to me, but not enough to try to dissuade anyone who wants it as their personal headcanon.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2018-08-21 at 11:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Colossus in the Playground

Art upgrading may make a difference - with The Giant using an expanded colour palette, more detail on hairstyles, etc.

Comparing Hilgya's hair colour in strip 83 to her hair colour now:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0083.html
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1114.html

I think it may have gotten a shade paler.

My theory is that when The Giant decided on Andromeda as a more major character, he went back and looked at the aforementioned strip, and decided to tweak Fire-Dropper to make her more distinctive.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-08-22 at 01:38 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Things like that, it's not out of the question for people to have a primary job and one or two secondary jobs. If you don't need immediate repairs to stay afloat, then why not help with defenses to keep the repair needs to a minimum? The clothing being a little off might work to say it's not Andi, but I can't imagine a job like airship pirating involves people standing around doing nothing until their one and sole function is needed.
    Last edited by Divusmors; 2018-08-22 at 01:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I don't know if saying "aye aye Captain" is the responsibility of the Head Engineer either. Peg Leg Guy may just have happened to be nearby when Julio gave the orders and said "aye aye" to mark he would forward the orders to the Head Engineer. Who may or may not have been Andi.
    Besides, it seems Peg Leg Guy is still on the Mechane when it reenters the story as well as after the Godsmoot. I think his official function on the Mechane is "scene filler". :)

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Besides, it seems Peg Leg Guy is still on the Mechane when it reenters the story as well as after the Godsmoot. I think his official function on the Mechane is "scene filler". :)
    I'd worry if I were him, that sounds awfully close to "Red Shirt".
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I don't know if saying "aye aye Captain" is the responsibility of the Head Engineer either. Peg Leg Guy may just have happened to be nearby when Julio gave the orders and said "aye aye" to mark he would forward the orders to the Head Engineer. Who may or may not have been Andi.
    Besides, it seems Peg Leg Guy is still on the Mechane when it reenters the story as well as after the Godsmoot.
    My headcanon is - Peg Leg Guy was the Chief Engineer until his injury - once he got the injury he decided that his injury would make his job hard enough, that he'd need to train a replacement from within the ranks of the junior engineers.

In War & XPs, he hasn't yet replaced himself with Andi, but he does so soon afterward.

That would explain why Andi acts like such a newbie - showing no ability to delegate, clashing with Bandana so much, etc.

Because, to that position, she is a newbie.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a new thread in these parts. And this towns only big enough for one of 'em.

New Thread
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)