New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed V: Your Familiar

Belkar's been wearing gloves since they arrived at the Peak.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rift_Wolf View Post
    I'm on the mobile site, so can't change my outdated signature! If I could I'd admit culpability for Phyrnglsnyx. And the result of my 'press the middle button fifteen times' (which is 'I am a beautiful person who is the best way to stop a siege rhino.').
    You can view the regular site on a mobile device BTW.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess I'd noticed it in the background but never consciously realized it until recently:

Vaarsuvius wears hir hair in a headband, up until the point ve becomes Darth Vaarsuvius and lets it fly loose. When V loses the soul splices and returns to the party, ve ties up hir hair in a ponytail, as it's been from there on out.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Vaarsuvius wears hir hair in a headband, up until the point ve becomes Darth Vaarsuvius and lets it fly loose. When V loses the soul splices and returns to the party, ve ties up hir hair in a ponytail, as it's been from there on out.
    Also, during their rematch, V has longer hair than before, whereas Z has shorter hair than before. Neither wears their headband any more.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Also, during their rematch, V has longer hair than before, whereas Z has shorter hair than before. Neither wears their headband any more.
    Well, V kind of does. I believe they use their headband to keep their hair tied back.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooh, that's interesting, and i'd never really noticed or thought about it. Makes for a neat visual contrast when they fight again.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I never noticed until this strip that Belkar lost his daggers while fighting HPoH.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Boy, Nale's "How's the family?" to Malack in #811 takes on a whole new meaning once you find out what he did to them (not to mention what he means by "family.")

I've always been curious, in #906 when Nale tells Malack he's been planning this since he was nine years old, is it because of something Malack did or just an illustration of how Nale is consumed by hate?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Boy, Nale's "How's the family?" to Malack in #811 takes on a whole new meaning once you find out what he did to them (not to mention what he means by "family.")

I've always been curious, in #906 when Nale tells Malack he's been planning this since he was nine years old, is it because of something Malack did or just an illustration of how Nale is consumed by hate?
    We don't know - it's been theorized on the forum that it's something relatively minor that Malack did, since Nale is synonymous with taking disproportionate revenge for quasi-imagined slights.

I never before noticed that Belkar suggests Miko take a bath when they first arrive at the hotel. He must have been planning on a "Haley special" with his good friend Roland Itiative while Miko was without all her magical items and weapons/armor.

It does raise the interesting question of whether Belkar would have managed it before the rest of the Order was alerted...even without magical items I'm betting a Monk/Paladin would be pretty tough to take down quickly.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground

It looks like a bad moment to do that: Belkar's strength was in dragging Miko in a number of traps and ambushes, and pulling her sense of honour to damage herself. And his nose is pretty delicate. So he might simply have had his personal interest in mind ("save the nose"), but he might also have wanted to steal stuff from her and attack her thereafter.
    My point is that, in general, an enclosed space looks like a bad place for attacking Miko.

EDIT: Or maybe he wanted a chance to "study his prey"
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2016-03-02 at 03:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Belkar has a very good sense of smell and Miko has been living in the open and piously avoiding inns for a long time.
    ungelic is us

12. - Top - End - #282

PirateGuy

Yeah, commenting on people's bad smell is one of Belkar's longest-running gags. I think it was just that.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

It could've been some combination.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    We don't know - it's been theorized on the forum that it's something relatively minor that Malack did, since Nale is synonymous with taking disproportionate revenge for quasi-imagined slights.
    Makes sense, and I think it's one of those things that's better we don't know. Nale is very much the Iago of this story; hating just to hate, with every slight real or imagined a flimsy pretext for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I never before noticed that Belkar suggests Miko take a bath when they first arrive at the hotel. He must have been planning on a "Haley special" with his good friend Roland Itiative while Miko was without all her magical items and weapons/armor.

It does raise the interesting question of whether Belkar would have managed it before the rest of the Order was alerted...even without magical items I'm betting a Monk/Paladin would be pretty tough to take down quickly.
    I lean towards the "she smells bad" theory because Belkar's goal was never to kill Miko; it was to get her to murder him and thus lose her paladin powers.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2016-03-02 at 04:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So on Pompey's summoned fiendish centipedes... are those antennae, or horns (as on some other fiendish animals)?

I lean towards the "she smells bad" theory because Belkar's goal was never to kill Miko; it was to get her to murder him and thus lose her paladin powers.
    That's what he was trying to do later, but I'm not sure I'd give Belkar credit (or "credit") for that much foresight.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to guess antennae, largely because I'd have expected to see horns from an overhead perspective. Though there could be small horns on the ends of the antennae, I suppose; "claws appearing at the ends of tentacles" is valid for half-fiends, after all.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

17. - Top - End - #287

Makes sense, and I think it's one of those things that's better we don't know. Nale is very much the Iago of this story; hating just to hate, with every slight real or imagined a flimsy pretext for doing so.
    You know, if you read the original play Shakespeare plagiarized adapted, Iago was as big a hero as Othello. The Venetian Senate shafted him for political reasons (Othello was an expensive mercenary), but it was pointed out that the war couldn't have been won without both of them.

The war was against Genoa, btw, so it makes sense to cut it if your audience barely understands Italian geography and has no grasp of the local politics.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    That's what he was trying to do later, but I'm not sure I'd give Belkar credit (or "credit") for that much foresight.
    In that case, "take a bath because you smell bad" requires even less foresight than "take a bath so I can kill you while you're defenseless (and assuming no one in the party would try to stop me)."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You know, if you read the original play Shakespeare plagiarized adapted, Iago was as big a hero as Othello. The Venetian Senate shafted him for political reasons (Othello was an expensive mercenary), but it was pointed out that the war couldn't have been won without both of them.

The war was against Genoa, btw, so it makes sense to cut it if your audience barely understands Italian geography and has no grasp of the local politics.
    How dare they attack my salami!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post

I'd go so far as to say that one of the reasons Shakespeare's plays stand the test of time is that they don't get bogged down in the specifics of their time. Six hundred years later, no one much knows or cares about Genoan politics of the era, but we'll always have malicious people, people who destroy their lives out of jealousy (or some other tragic flaw), etc.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Well, that's intended, but he really is talking to Roy, just that we are in Roy's viewpoint there.
    Used comedically by the Simpsons.

"Well, I couldn't possibly solve this mystery! Can you??"
    Last edited by blunk; 2016-03-03 at 01:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    "Yeah, sure. I mean, it's my job, right?"

23. - Top - End - #293

"Yeah, sure. I mean, it's my job, right?"
    I appreciate that your approximate quote means you probably didn't have to click the link

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    I appreciate that your approximate quote means you probably didn't have to click the link
    You are correct! Even after I posted it I was like "Wait, isn't it 'I'll give it a shot' or something?"

25. - Top - End - #295

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Plus, there's a good chance that if she associates with me, she'll lose all of her paladin powers. And that would be just too funny not to try.

26. - Top - End - #296

AssassinGuy

A disturbance in the Force prompted me to read Larry Gardener and the Angry Half-Orc again... where I discovered that Nale quotes Han Solo's line from "A New Hope" ("Sorry about the mess") while standing over Larry's corpse.

It's particularly appropriate, seeing as Nale is part rogue, and "rogue" is synonymous with "scoundrel".

EDIT: And, while reading the strip with me, my daughter pointed out that Nale could be seen as a stick-figure ringer for Harry Potter's nemesis, Malefoy, as seen in the films. Bonus points to the Giant for that one.
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2016-03-04 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

27. - Top - End - #297
    Firbolg in the Playground

Only now have I noticed that Lien is referring to panel 2. I always ignored part 1 of Quarr's baloon there, and that he had implied using Charm Monster many times.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #298
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I never noticed that the HPoT has a scar on her face.
    It's not as obvious as O-Chul's or that one bandit leader so I didn't think anything of it.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Technically, doesn't Banjo simply not trigger any detection at all there?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2