New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed V: Your Familiar

I just noticed the elf and human in panel two of #706 are translucent and Than has a grappling hook in panel four.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

I can't believe I never saw that before, because it's one of the most renowned strips ever, but I just noticed that in 763, on the second to last panel there's the Empress on her throne.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laurana View Post
    I can't believe I never saw that before, because it's one of the most renowned strips ever, but I just noticed that in 763, on the second to last panel there's the Empress on her throne.
    Yes, she is there. The questions you must now ask yourself are...
    Did she hear Tarquin spell out exactly how she's a puppet?
    Did she understand Tarquin spelling out exactly how she's a puppet?
    Did she care that she's a puppet?

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Yes, she is there. The questions you must now ask yourself are...
    Did she hear Tarquin spell out exactly how she's a puppet?
    Did she understand Tarquin spelling out exactly how she's a puppet?
    Did she care that she's a puppet?
    I think it's pretty clear that she either knows and doesn't care, or she's too stupid to understand.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

When Nale disguises himself as Elan, he puts Elan's sash on backwards, but he also puts his own sash on Elan backwards.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

6. - Top - End - #396
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's weird, but as much as I love #301 for how insane it is as a one-off parody, I only now made the connection that the Soy Latte ranger is the same one that shows up in the gag panel of #350.

I mean, how did I not realize that the only two bow-wielding takeaway mugs in the comic were one and the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Orc in the Playground

in 429 in the 9th panel. xykon energy drains Haley! I never noticed that... I assume darken then restorations her off panel.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ArkenBrony View Post
    in 429 in the 9th panel. xykon energy drains Haley! I never noticed that... I assume darken then restorations her off panel.
    Could just be a generic spell doing damage to Haley, but yeah, it's probably in retaliation for the three arrows she was able to shoot at the zombie dragon. Also, betraying-archer-dude might not be able to take a shot from Xykon and live.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Halfling in the Playground

in 326, Belkar says "look at me - i'm Robespierre".

I just so happened to be reading up on the French revolution lately. the name never rang a bell before

10. - Top - End - #400
    Firbolg in the Playground

This maybe has more to do with headcanon, but in 903 Sabine tells V that she has seen "more righteous mortals" than V taken down by the three fiends.

Now, V is the kind of person who really feels entitled. And the difference between entitled and righteous is a thin one, if that's your defining characteristic. You probably feel entitled because you think you are righteous.

Now, V hearing in a offhand comment that there are more righteous people around, and being told this by a fiend, who is at the same time a revolting being of malevolence opposed to righteousness and, because of this, a true expert on what righteous means? That's quite the slap in the face. Something you'll think about before smoking the next bound guy. Especially since V officially despises alliance with the denizens of the lower planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    This maybe has more to do with headcanon, but in 903 Sabine tells V that she has seen "more righteous mortals" than V taken down by the three fiends.

Now, V is the kind of person who really feels entitled. And the difference between entitled and righteous is a thin one, if that's your defining characteristic. You probably feel entitled because you think you are righteous.

Now, V hearing in a offhand comment that there are more righteous people around, and being told this by a fiend, who is at the same time a revolting being of malevolence opposed to righteousness and, because of this, a true expert on what righteous means? That's quite the slap in the face. Something you'll think about before smoking the next bound guy. Especially since V officially despises alliance with the denizens of the lower planes.
    V has never struck me as particularly entitled, nor especially unaware of his neutral alignment.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    V has never struck me as particularly entitled, nor especially unaware of his neutral alignment.
    Yeah, at first glance I agree. I need supporting evidence for this.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I see where he's coming from - V is arrogant and dismissive of others (though somewhat less so as the story goes on) - but I'm not sure I'd consider that synonymous with entitled.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

In Start of Darkness, only Xykon seems outwardly affected by the anti-magic virus. Was he keeping his baldness and skin condition in check magically, and these spells were shut down by the virus?

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lazydemon View Post
    In Start of Darkness, only Xykon seems outwardly affected by the anti-magic virus. Was he keeping his baldness and skin condition in check magically, and these spells were shut down by the virus?
    Wasn't he also locked in a cave eating nothing but fungi?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Wasn't he also locked in a cave eating nothing but fungi?
    The effect lazydemon is talking about applied almost immediately and before being locked up, though.

I always thought that yes, Xykon was keeping the worst effects of old age at bay with magic.
    ungelic is us

17. - Top - End - #407

PirateGuy

I rather thought the skin problems and hair loss were side effects of the disease. You know, some symptoms to let us readers know he's sick, aside from the simple loss of spellcasting.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    I rather thought the skin problems and hair loss were side effects of the disease. You know, some symptoms to let us readers know he's sick, aside from the simple loss of spellcasting.
    That is my interpretation, as well, as one of the physical ailments is a rash.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

A wizard is an intellectual caster, I guess a divine caster similarly, so only the brain is affected. A sorceror has "magic in their blood" sort of. I'd think they'd be harder hit by the curse. That's how I always viewed it.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lazydemon View Post
    Who else would have been affected by it? Redcloak was immune. Redcloak's brother wasn't a spellcaster (though I do wonder if the Guardian Virus left him effectively unable to multiclass as a spellcaster for the rest of his life, had he ever desired to do so). A handful of nameless goblins survived to be locked up with those three. It would be a mistake to put too much weight (as in any) on the lack of visible symptoms in a random goblin priest who might or might not have even existed.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Show

Who else would have been affected by it? Redcloak was immune. Redcloak's brother wasn't a spellcaster (though I do wonder if the Guardian Virus left him effectively unable to multiclass as a spellcaster for the rest of his life, had he ever desired to do so). A handful of nameless goblins survived to be locked up with those three. It would be a mistake to put too much weight (as in any) on the lack of visible symptoms in a random goblin priest who might or might not have even existed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are 3 goblin clerics shown on panel having their spells fizzle.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay then. Guess I didn't remember that scene well.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

In fact, on the same page, Lirian describes the effects of the virus:
    Show
    The end result? Permanent loss of all spellcasting powers. Turning you from an evil engine of pure destruction into a feeble bald old man with a bad skin rash

Also, the rash starts appearing almost as soon as he loses his Fly spell. Seems as if his skin and hair problems are the result of him no longer being able to magically sustain his appearance.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-05-14 at 01:22 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

The discussion of Redcloak's holy symbol made me realize he also had the old symbol design in the calendar.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

We get the followup on Nale's comment regarding the Dungeon of Dorukan that "there were budget issues towards the end of dungeon construction. Water got cut out entirely" in the Order of the Scribble history.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Seeing as the Linear Guild members are the same classes as their OOTS counterparts, Nale's class (fighter/rogue/sorcerer) could be a nod to how in earlier editions (and to some extent, in current editions) Bards really were just fighter/rogue/sorcerer hybrids.

I am True Neutral

There is no great genius without some touch of madness
    -Seneca, Roman dramatist

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my campaign in a library in Candlekeep

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Aldarin View Post
    Seeing as the Linear Guild members are the same classes as their OOTS counterparts, Nale's class (fighter/rogue/sorcerer) could be a nod to how in earlier editions (and to some extent, in current editions) Bards really were just fighter/rogue/sorcerer hybrids.
    I'd say it very specifically is so. Notice Nales says his daddy taught him bards were a bad class (or that's how he perceived it, Tarquin just seems disappointed with how bards are using their powers), yet he ends up being one in a roundabout way.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

I'm not well versed in the game. Could you please tell me in what way bards are similar to rogues? Fighter/Sorcerer I can see.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not well versed in the game. Could you please tell me in what way bards are similar to rogues? Fighter/Sorcerer I can see.
    Mechanically, they also had breadth of skills. I don't remember for certain, but likely access to rogue abilities like picking locks and hiding well.
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

30. - Top - End - #420

PirateGuy

In 1st edition D&D, "bard" wasn't a regular character class like the others. It was a bit similar to 3E prestige classes, except that the concept didn't exist as such back then. In order to become a bard, you had to do a significant amount of dual-classing (similar to 3E multiclassing, except there were tight restrictions and you couldn't switch back) - IIRC you started out as a fighter, switched out to rogue at a certain level, and then you switched to druid (not sorcerer, which didn't exist back then) at a certain level. When you did so, instead of a regular druid, you became a bard, and had access to the special abilities of bards. So I guess Nale's multiclassing could be seen as a nod to that, only using sorcerer rather than druid, as in 3E, bard spellcasting works the same way as sorcerer spellcasting (although with a different spell list).

And bards have the skill use and general "sneakiness" of rogues (this was more apparent in earlier editions, where there was a wholly separate set of rules for rogue-type skills), which is why rogues are widely regarded as an integral part of the mix that makes up the bard class. In fact, my own opinion is that the bard is much closer to a rogue/sorcerer than a fighter/sorcerer, as its fighting ability is rather middling...