New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed V: Your Familiar

And he is. He's the bodyguard of the High Priest of Hel, officially. It's the strongest religious tie he has.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I just realized that at least one high priest considers Roy to be part of the Church of Hel.
    That is, in fact, the only reason why he's allowed to beat up Durkula on Godsmoot grounds. Because they're (officially) in the same church.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I only just realised roy is talking about his father and his brother in strip #944. Propably.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I actually specifically discussed these guys in the Character Appearances thread, but I never noticed this before: two of the people involved in the "brunchroom brawl" with Roy and Belkar are a human and lizardfolk Empire of Blood soldier. But when we first see the room in 728, the lizardfolk the human soldier is sitting with is not an EoB soldier, but rather what appears to be a palette swap of one of the "frat brother adventurers" from comic 710. Looks like an art mistake, and not one that was corrected in the print edition either, since that's where I first noticed it.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I actually specifically discussed these guys in the Character Appearances thread, but I never noticed this before: two of the people involved in the "brunchroom brawl" with Roy and Belkar are a human and lizardfolk Empire of Blood soldier. But when we first see the room in 728, the lizardfolk the human soldier is sitting with is not an EoB soldier, but rather what appears to be a palette swap of one of the "frat brother adventurers" from comic 710. Looks like an art mistake, and not one that was corrected in the print edition either, since that's where I first noticed it.
    it is likely it is just an Art mistake/oversight but that lizard folk was not in panel for #729 and you also don't see the whole table in #728 so i think it's possible that the 728 lizard folk is a different one from the 730 on one. Maybe he went outside for something so he wasn't there, that might even be the reason the fuzz knew there was a brawl, but this is major reaching i know. Probably just something that slip pasted.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    it is likely it is just an Art mistake/oversight but that lizard folk was not in panel for #729 and you also don't see the whole table in #728 so i think it's possible that the 728 lizard folk is a different one from the 730 on one. Maybe he went outside for something so he wasn't there, that might even be the reason the fuzz knew there was a brawl, but this is major reaching i know. Probably just something that slip pasted.
    Actually, if you look in 730 you can see the lizardfolk getting hit in the face by a drink...and he doesn't have his helmet on. He actually puts the helmet on before going into the brawl.

His shirt does change color between the two strips though.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Actually, if you look in 730 you can see the lizardfolk getting hit in the face by a drink...and he doesn't have his helmet on. He actually puts the helmet on before going into the brawl.

His shirt does change color between the two strips though.
    That's how I read it, yes. It looks like it's a coloring error in that one panel (and possibly missing shoulderpad spikes, hard to tell at this magnification).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I just noticed the double meaning of the title. At first, I thought it was just meant in general, because people don't notice their familiar, but now I noticed, that it directly adresses Vaarsuvius, because V is often called V and V never noticed Vs Familiar.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    I just noticed the double meaning of the title. At first, I thought it was just meant in general, because people don't notice their familiar, but now I noticed, that it directly adresses Vaarsuvius, because V is often called V and V never noticed Vs Familiar.
    Take a bow, Durkoala!
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Ya know, I didn't get the joke in-comic until I read about it in the book commentary. I dunno if it's because I didn't play D&D until I was in my early twenties, or because my first familiar was a pseudodragon I paid a feat for, or if I just play differently than most others but I knew exactly where that familiar was and what he was doing all the damn time. Always made sure to get his actions in on every battle, and roleplayed the hell out of him too, I think.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Ya know, I didn't get the joke in-comic until I read about it in the book commentary. I dunno if it's because I didn't play D&D until I was in my early twenties, or because my first familiar was a pseudodragon I paid a feat for, or if I just play differently than most others but I knew exactly where that familiar was and what he was doing all the damn time. Always made sure to get his actions in on every battle, and roleplayed the hell out of him too, I think.
    My party was the same way. Oddly enough, it was also a pseudodragon. That may have had something to do with it though, because a raven has significantly less obvious utility beyond the scope of the statistical benefits it grants than a Pseudodragon.

They named it Roger.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2015-11-04 at 12:39 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't play wizards too often (I prefer to play melee or gish characters or, if I have to be a caster, a spontaneous caster). However, once I had a character concept in which ONLY a wizard fit her concept, so I played my first and only wizard (a gnome illusionist, of course).

She literally had a pocket sewn into her cloak where her familiar sat until I needed/remembered it, then viola! Pulled it out, used it, then promptly forgot about it again.

So yeah I totally got the joke.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    That is, in fact, the only reason why he's allowed to beat up Durkula on Godsmoot grounds. Because they're (officially) in the same church.
    When things are cleared up, it will speak very ill for outsourcing of security at clerical congresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    That's how I read it, yes. It looks like it's a coloring error in that one panel (and possibly missing shoulderpad spikes, hard to tell at this magnification).
    It's definitely a different armor design, not just a wrong color.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    It's definitely a different armor design, not just a wrong color.
    Perhaps he just puts on his official armor over whatever sort of under padding he is currently wearing between strips?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Never noticed that when Sabine is playtesting the grappling rules with Elan's tongue, she has both legs and her tail wrapped around him. Elan is really good at what he does.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

17. - Top - End - #77

It seems that Disruption (Disrupting Weapon) is an important part of Roy's plan to defeat Xykon. However Durkon needs to be level 9 to cast that and reached level 9 in page 12.

Means that the Order had planned to earn some xp in the dungeon before facing Xykon!

I've always been surprised that they don't use the spell again when Roy gets his second fight against Xykon. Did they figure that Xykon can't miss the will save? Can't he?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Perhaps they thought the starmetal in the sword superseded the need for it?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    It seems that Disruption (Disrupting Weapon) is an important part of Roy's plan to defeat Xykon. However Durkon needs to be level 9 to cast that and reached level 9 in page 12.

Means that the Order had planned to earn some xp in the dungeon before facing Xykon!
    I vaguely recall them coming up with the Disruption plan at some point in the Dungeon of Dorukan, likely after Durkon had leveled up. Can't give an exact strip though.
    I've always been surprised that they don't use the spell again when Roy gets his second fight against Xykon. Did they figure that Xykon can't miss the will save? Can't he?
    I don't know what the duration of Disruption is, but they didn't expect to face Xykon as soon as they did. After all, until Haley saw through the decoy bluff they were expecting to have to go out and face him on the battlefield... then he was right above their heads, literally.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

You're right, he can't. He doesn't even need to make a save, since his HP is higher than DUrkon's caster level. It fails automatically.

There has been a lot of speculation that Rich didn't originally intend for Xykon to be epic level, and both the fact that he was easily defeated and that they expected Disrupting Weapon to work are used to support this theory

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I vaguely recall them coming up with the Disruption plan at some point in the Dungeon of Dorukan, likely after Durkon had leveled up. Can't give an exact strip though.
    Good memory! It was in Strip 94
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-11-05 at 09:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Flumph

22. - Top - End - #82

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    You're right, he can't. He doesn't even need to make a save, since his HP is higher than DUrkon's caster level. It fails automatically.

There has been a lot of speculation that Rich didn't originally intend for Xykon to be epic level, and both the fact that he was easily defeated and that they expected Disrupting Weapon to work are used to support this theory
    I'm not the best at the underlying rules of D&D but wouldn't Xykon need to be at least level 11 in order to be a Lich? Or would a caster level rasing item work for Lichdom requirements? And then wouldn't durkon need to raise his caster level for it to work? Or am i way off?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Epic level is 21 and higher. Xykon could easily be a lich without being epic.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

PirateGuy

But it would still be pointless to try Disrupting Weapon on a lich if the cleric's level is 9, since liches have at least 11 HD... isn't that the point?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Durkon and Roy clearly failed their knowledge rolls on lich info.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, Durky's Knowledge: Religion wasn't that good back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #87

It isn't that good now.

28. - Top - End - #88

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    But it would still be pointless to try Disrupting Weapon on a lich if the cleric's level is 9, since liches have at least 11 HD... isn't that the point?
    Yeah that was my point not that xykon was epic at that point but that distruping weapon still wouldn't have worked due to the min level you need to be a lich. And i was just asking if my understanding was correct.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Of course, Durkon and Roy's lack of knowledge about Liches doesn't excuse the fact that Xykon appeared to think it was a threat.

Then again, maybe Xykon just decided to troll Roy by breaking his weapon, even though it wouldn't have been able to harm him anyway. It'd certainly be in character.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Of course, Durkon and Roy's lack of knowledge about Liches doesn't excuse the fact that Xykon appeared to think it was a threat.

Then again, maybe Xykon just decided to troll Roy by breaking his weapon, even though it wouldn't have been able to harm him anyway. It'd certainly be in character.
    "Hm... this guy has a sword with a spell on it that he thinks will destroy me. I know it can't actually do that, but it'll be funny to break it just to mess with him."
    I am a Neutral Good Elf Druid/Wizard

: "Disintegrate. Gust of wind. Now can we please resume saving the world?"
    : "Your approval fills me with shame."
    Never, EVER pick up a duck in a dungeon!