New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed V: Your Familiar

The snake is probably a python.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    The snake is probably a python.
    It's probably named Monty.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

After reading OotPCs, Elan's words in panel 8 are much funnier.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #124

More a language thing, but...
    When holy wafers were mentionned, I was kind of surprised by this choice. Why holy wafers? Because gnomes would use that rather than holy water? That's cute. Weird, but cute.

I just realized that "holy wafer" are the same than "hostia". The only French term that I know being "hostie", I did not expect that there were other terms in English than hostia.

Somehow, it was funnier before :(
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    More a language thing, but...
    When holy wafers were mentionned, I was kind of surprised by this choice. Why holy wafers? Because gnomes would use that rather than holy water? That's cute. Weird, but cute.

I just realized that "holy wafer" are the same than "hostia". The only French term that I know being "hostie", I did not expect that there were other terms in English than hostia.

Somehow, it was funnier before :(
    Same here, and I kinda wonder if fluff for holy wafers outside combat situations in a D&D setting is ever explained in a manual.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Am also doing a read through from the start, and this is not so much 'didn't notice' as 'curious as to what it is' because I have no idea!
    So, in the words of Cat, from Red Dwarf, and in the third panel... 'What is it?'
    Last edited by War-Wren; 2015-11-17 at 07:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by War-Wren View Post
    Am also doing a read through from the start, and this is not so much 'didn't notice' as 'curious as to what it is' because I have no idea!
    So, in the words of Cat, from Red Dwarf, and in the third panel... 'What is it?'
    It's a Wolf in sheep's clothing, aka carnivorous tree stump dressed like a cute rabbit. It made it as #3 in the "Stupid Monster" list.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It's a Wolf in sheep's clothing, aka carnivorous tree stump dressed like a cute rabbit. It made it as #3 in the "Stupid Monster" list.
    Ha! Brilliant Thanks!

EDIT (cos I found something else!): In this comic Hilgya 'tricks' Durkon into holding her hand... but in this comic they're already holding hands!
    Last edited by War-Wren; 2015-11-17 at 10:02 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

You can also find the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing in the avatar list for the board.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Oh my. Crystal clearly says Haley can borrow her dagger.
    Haley "borrows" it to kill her with it, but then returns it when they meet again. Then the dagger breaks, perhaps symbolic of the end of bozzak and crystal.

Deep.

11. - Top - End - #131

I just remembered that we got to know Surtur a few books before his priest.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I just remembered that we got to know Surtur a few books before his priest.
    Man, I'd love to see Surtur in the current art style.

On topic, I was re-reading On the Origin of PC's the other day and noticed, for the first time, that one of the patrons of the Bad Guy Bar that Elan and his then-employer Sir Francois are forced to retreat from bears a striking resemblance to the (on-again-off-again) Bandit King. Is it, in fact, meant to be him?

13. - Top - End - #133

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Man, I'd love to see Surtur in the current art style.

On topic, I was re-reading On the Origin of PC's the other day and noticed, for the first time, that one of the patrons of the Bad Guy Bar that Elan and his then-employer Sir Francois are forced to retreat from bears a striking resemblance to the (on-again-off-again) Bandit King. Is it, in fact, meant to be him?
    Given the amount of shout-outs in the book (such as the Greysky Thieves' Guild members running the hotel), I'd say there's a significant chance.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So is "Durkon's" new minion named Gontor Hammerfell or Hammerfall? I've just realized it's been spelled both ways.

Poor minor characters.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    So is "Durkon's" new minion named Gontor Hammerfell or Hammerfall? I've just realized it's been spelled both ways.

Poor minor characters.
    It depends: if he likes video games it's Hammerfell, if he'd rather listen to some music it's Hammerfall.

EDIT: It also could be an accent/dialect thing. Gontor talks like a human, while the other usher has a dwarven accent. My surname has different vowels when said with my accent or in the standard spelling. Hammerfell could be spelled Hammerfall by other dwarves.

Also, I just noticed that the last pages answer the great question: "Where was Gontor...?"
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2015-11-24 at 08:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

17. - Top - End - #137

AssassinGuy

Same here, and I kinda wonder if fluff for holy wafers outside combat situations in a D&D setting is ever explained in a manual.
    I don't know if it's in any of the manuals, but I've read of a very old Eastern European tradition that stuffing holy wafers into a vampire's mouth and beheading it (after staking through the heart) was a necessary part of killing them. Just staking wasn't considered enough to kill the vampire 100% dead in some versions of the lore.

And in Bram Stoker's novel, holy wafers are said to repel the undead and are used to keep vampires away from the coffins of the newly dead. According to this link, they've also been found inside the tombs of saints, and even modern Greeks placed them between the lips of the dead at burial to protect against vampirism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Look in Roy.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

I never noticed that in The fourth panel of the second page of 994, Belkar is still standing in the Circle of Truth when he stays "This stinks worse than that gnomish cheese that Elan brought back from town that I ate without asking."
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Look in Roy.
    Look behind Roy: Grey tip to the left of his head, but no horn on the right to support it

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It depends: if he likes video games it's Hammerfell, if he'd rather listen to some music it's Hammerfall.

EDIT: It also could be an accent/dialect thing. Gontor talks like a human, while the other usher has a dwarven accent. My surname has different vowels when said with my accent or in the standard spelling. Hammerfell could be spelled Hammerfall by other dwarves.

Also, I just noticed that the last pages answer the great question: "Where was Gontor...?"
    Huh, I also hadn't noticed until now (or if I had, I had forgotten) that Gontor didn't have an accent when he was alive.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

22. - Top - End - #142

Erm, I never noticed that the V in the thread title is, in addition to a roman numeral, Vaarsuvius.

23. - Top - End - #143

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    I don't know if it's in any of the manuals, but I've read of a very old Eastern European tradition that stuffing holy wafers into a vampire's mouth and beheading it (after staking through the heart) was a necessary part of killing them. Just staking wasn't considered enough to kill the vampire 100% dead in some versions of the lore.

And in Bram Stoker's novel, holy wafers are said to repel the undead and are used to keep vampires away from the coffins of the newly dead. According to this link, they've also been found inside the tombs of saints, and even modern Greeks placed them between the lips of the dead at burial to protect against vampirism.
    I actually first saw this whole "holy wafers and vampires" thing (and yeah, I also wondered what the hell are holy wafers, since it's also called "ostia" in Portuguese) in the Vampire entry in the 2nd edition Monstrous Manual. It said you had to chop off the vampire's head and stick holy wafers in their mouth to definitely kill them, otherwise they'd just turn to mist and reform after a while or something like that.

24. - Top - End - #144

Technically, holy wafers are referred to as the Host in English speaking countries as well. It's just that us Americans aren't so good at using proper technical terms.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

When Soon summons the ghosts of the Sapphire Guard using the words "Arise, my children," he's the second person to address them as "children" in a few minutes. He may well be replying indirectly to Xykon.
    Last edited by Rollin; 2015-11-25 at 03:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

AssassinGuy

Thanks for refreshing my memory, SirKazum. I know I have those books somewhere still. And I researched the topic after reading that, because I wondered where the idea came from. I wish I could find a good link for the legend, but alas...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Technically, holy wafers are referred to as the Host in English speaking countries as well. It's just that us Americans aren't so good at using proper technical terms.
    The term probably didn't make it into the D&D books because it belongs to very specific IRL religions, and the authors didn't want to give offense by putting that term into their writings. Nor do I.
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2015-11-25 at 09:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

27. - Top - End - #147

This one is a wild guess

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0707.html
    The only prisoner who is not smiling and looks with anger at the goblin who wants to swap side?
    A bald guy.

Who maybe has grown back a very few hairs (if it is possible while you are polymorphed, but I guess so)
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html

This one instead seems quite clear to me, now. Compare the position of the hands in the two cases

28. - Top - End - #148

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Thanks for refreshing my memory, SirKazum. I know I have those books somewhere still. And I researched the topic after reading that, because I wondered where the idea came from. I wish I could find a good link for the legend, but alas...

The term probably didn't make it into the D&D books because it belongs to very specific IRL religions, and the authors didn't want to give offense by putting that term into their writings. Nor do I.
    I was just rereading the 2E Vampire entry. First off, they probably mention "holy wafers" rather than "the host" for the same reasons they mention "lawful good holy symbols" rather than crosses That is, both to avoid unfortunate issues with RL religions, and to allow the whole myth to work with settings that have entirely fictious religions with different trappings (i.e. most D&D worlds).

Secondly, it seems the business with chopping the head off and stuffing the mouth with holy wafers refers to when you defeat a vampire by driving a stake into their heart. They can still be definitely destroyed if exposed to one round of sunlight, immersed in running water for three rounds, or if unable to find their coffin in 12 turns (i.e. 120 minutes) after turning into mist due to losing all their hitpoints. Mind, this is all 2nd edition.

And one final thing I remembered... boy, the folks who wrote the core 2E books did love to sprinkle "all but" liberally all over the text, as if it had no meaning other than making the text sound fancier. Which of course led to some ridiculous RAW interpretations - for example, the thing with the gems table where, if you roll 1 on the special characteristics table, it becomes a higher category and you roll again ignoring "all but 1". Which of course means that, if you happen to roll a 1 in the first place, you're guaranteed to get a gem of the highest possible category since you're "forced" to keep rolling 1's. But nevermind, this isn't the RAW Dysfunction thread...

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    This one is a wild guess

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0707.html
    The only prisoner who is not smiling and looks with anger at the goblin who wants to swap side?
    A bald guy.

Who maybe has grown back a very few hairs (if it is possible while you are polymorphed, but I guess so)
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html
    It's possible but not sure because of the polymorph thing.
    Also that very prisonner could be frowning because of the hobgoblin right in front of him.
    Last edited by Quild; 2015-11-26 at 07:45 AM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    It's possible but not sure because of the polymorph thing.
    Also that very prisonner could be frowning because of the hobgoblin right in front of him.
    True. Indeed my hypothesis is quite a stretch.
    But it seems so perfect that maybe Rich can think to start implying it was his plan all along.