New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Crystal Mages -- a new arcane tradition for 5e wizards

The idea of crystal magic seems really popular--the notion of channeling your magic through crystals to amplify it or control it better. It's even a thing with real-world spellcasters. I'm not a believer myself but some folks do practice the casting of spells with crystals and there's a thriving market for it in our own time and world. Given such popularity, I'm surprised at the apparent lack of it in D&D. I feel like this fills a necessary niche in my world. Some magic items, usable by other arcanes and not just crystal mages, may at least have their origins tied to crystal mages. This also introduces the idea of information stored in crystals, sort of the magical equivalent of a USB drive.

I tried to keep it in line with existing arcane traditions in both flavor and power.

Write-up here: https://ascension-8.obsidianportal.c...is/new-classes
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2015-10-27 at 01:51 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Crystal Mages -- a new arcane tradition for 5e wizards

The flavor of this is actually really cool.

The 2nd level abilities are cool.
    The 6th level ability should probably use your bonus, not theirs.
    The 10th level ability is flavorful but flat bonuses should be avoided in 5e.
    The level 14 ability kinda needs a per-rest limitation.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmujiin View Post
    This. Nix the bonuses to spell attacks and saving throw DC. No subclass feature should include "Is better at being a [class] than the rest of the subclasses"

Apart from that I really like it.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2015-10-29 at 03:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Excellent feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmujiin View Post
    The 6th level ability should probably use your bonus, not theirs.
    Two reasons why I did it that way. One is I'm trying to limit it's power a little bit. It's already pretty good that you can essentially make a temporary magic item by storing a spell and handing it to someone else. I wanted it to not work as well if you do that compared to just using it yourself. Second, I thought it kind of made sense. A non-caster can potentially shoot scorching rays at someone, but not being used to spellcasting, he wouldn't likely be very good at it. It's like a wizard (who's not an elf) picking up a longbow and shooting it.

Do you still feel that way?

Okay. Do you folks have suggestions for things to replace those with? It seems like it needs about four choices. I compared this to magic items that do similar things. The wand of the war mage comes to mind.

The level 14 ability kinda needs a per-rest limitation.
    It's already once per short rest. Did you miss that part? I was trying to make it clear that the action of dispelling or countering a spell was considered one use of the ability. Using the stored magic to cast a spell was not considered a use of the ability. Does that part seem clear?
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2015-10-29 at 05:45 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I really like this. I was literally thinking about a psiforged mystic/wizard when I stumbled onto this, so I might use this instead of knowledge theurge.
    I agree that flat bonuses are bad. I like the 5th option, but the 4th kind of has a similar problem (does the evoker's job), but that's not a big problem.

Things that go with the crystal theme would be cool.
    Fracture: spells cast through this crystal that shoot in a line instead shoot in a cone of half the length.
    Farsight: spells cast through this crystal ignore cover.
    Homeopathy: spells you cast through this focus using a spell slot heal you for the spell's level.

And yes, I do like necromancy.
    Last edited by Drackolus; 2017-07-13 at 01:31 AM.
    Using the alignment system is an evil act.