New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1010 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It looks like the black marks disappeared when he drank the potion (restoration?).
    Not unless there was some sort of delayed effect. He's wearing those black marks right up to the "You're not Durkon at all!!" line ... i.e., when Roy hits his "Green Means Go" moment, they're gone. The potion healed him but I think this is the sword.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I love how the Giant kept Durkula's beard cut short from Roy's attack in the previous panel. It really accents the change in Roy's thoughts about Durkon vs the undead monstrosity he is facing.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

The time for psychological warfare is over. Now the real fighting begins. Let's see how they last.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    so, roy was actually healed by the sword effect. if durkula now cast harm on himself, the duel will be effectively restarted. except that he'll be out of some of his best spell slots. still, i am surprised that he's still alive, given how much damage roy can deal, especiially with that green energy
    The only advantage a pure fighter has over a spellcaster is that they never run out of the Hit Things With Sword spell.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

The last panel caught me off-guard, and reminded me that the Azure City blacksmith thought Roy might come to want to see a downside to this green flame effect.

Is it possible Roy is not fully himself when the effect activates?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Perhaps if Roy being angry makes his sword glow then roy being REALLY angry makes his body glow
    He's the guardian, he can do whatever he wants
    -Khadgar

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Booh. Yeah.

That is all.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

8. - Top - End - #158

Flumph

Sorry I didn't read all the six pages but to me it seems the green "undead bane" effect might have stopped because Durkula was down. The was a "kraaaack" when he hit the wall, might have been his spine.

All in all, awesome comic! The whole battle is epic. Heck, the whole Godsmoot sequence is really good! Excellent!
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

So that was a full attack with a magical sword, it would seem. :-)

Durkula didn't pass the concentration check - likely thanks to the improved damage output...

I don't think you need "legacy weapon" for that sort of thing - you just need intelligent item - even very low int score and link to wielder are enough to provide abilities when he fights for the cause (against the undead - maybe something on the top required... willingness? Something for sure...).

Healing... either the sword has spells per day like these types of items sometimes do, or I'd bet on it giving some sort of positive energy aura that hurts undead and heals wielder at the same time.

10. - Top - End - #160

It's simply stunning! The artwork on this strip is amazing!
    Darn it Whisper !

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    Talky-man in touch with inner greenness too!

Epic, just like the comic!

Maybe the glowing sword has a 'aura of good energy', maybe something like a 'heal' spell? Which harms undead and heals the living?
    Last edited by Turin_19; 2015-10-27 at 09:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

It is probably coincidence, but the only entity I remember with a Green flame aura (other than the Eastern gods) was the Oracle (and possibly Tiamat).

13. - Top - End - #163

ClericGuy

I just gotta say - that sword is the BEST WEAPON EVER for Roy.

Whatever power it has, it just undid 8 negative levels and most of his hitpoints.

And Roy finally got in a decent full attack.

It ain't over yet though, not until the Dwarf is Mist.

14. - Top - End - #164

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Awesome comic, but I wanted to note a technical detail: in 9th and 10th panel something seems to be..."off" with the antialiasing, in that I see the edges of Roy's sword (and in minor part, also of his arms) all blocky and, well, aliased. Am I the only one seeing that like this?
    I'm seeing that in those panels, as well as panel 3. It seems to be something tied into the way the green flames are processed.

But I didn't even notice at first because of the awesome blinding me >.>

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pretty sure it only dispelled when he realized it was around him. It does seem to run off emotion, and that epiphany he just had put him into a righteous nirvana of green flame and fury.

16. - Top - End - #166

BlueKnightGuy

How did Roy know that Durkula wasn't Durkon? I'm sure that Rich will reveal it later, but in the meantime anyone have any theories? I also noted that in one of the strips (I forgot which one) Durkon realised that Durkula can't make a link between 2 memories, and it was 'something to look forward to'.... i wonder if that applies to this fight?

Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!
    Last edited by Idiotic_Bird; 2015-10-27 at 09:21 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I haven't smiled this much at a character beatdown since the denouement of Words of Radiance. Those who've read that book know what I'm talking about.

Go Roy Go! RAH-RAH-RAH! *waves pompoms*

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiotic_Bird View Post
    How did Roy know that Durkula wasn't Durkon? I'm sure that Rich will reveal it later, but in the meantime anyone have any theories? I also noted that in one of the strips (I forgot which one) Durkon realised that Durkula can't make a link between 2 memories, and it was 'something to look forward to'.... i wonder if that applies to this fight?
    Regardless of whether Durkon slipped HPoH the story of Eric when he (HPoH) called for a list of Roy's weak points, or he (still HPoH) came across it himself and didn't realize that it was the one tragedy in Roy's life that he didn't blame himself for, the sadism and the lack of understanding displayed during HPoH's speech was the tipoff. Also, "I've always wondered how many pieces your brother was in after he died" is very much not a thing Good!Durkon would do, assuming that Vampire Durkon is Evil!Durkon. (Which is what Roy thought of HPoH at the time)
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-11-04 at 01:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

18. - Top - End - #168

DrowGirl

Did.... did Roy just do an air-juggle combo on HPoH in pannels 6 & 7?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Roy has found a way to become a "Green Star Adept" from Complete Arcane. My theory is he's on his way to becoming a construct.
    "The words are all around but the words are only sounds, and no one ever seems to listen.
    Instead, they'll say, 'How could we have known?'" - Jack Johnson
    Currently playing as:
    Polina, Goliath Drakewarden
    And a Heroforge link for her:
    Polina Gibson

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh Roy. You had enough levels of denial to qualify for a denial-based prestige class.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I haven't smiled this much at a character beatdown since the denouement of Words of Radiance. Those who've read that book know what I'm talking about.
    Yes. So much so. I feel like Kaladin and Roy are actually sort of similar in temperament..except one has depression issues and magic powers. On second thought, not so much.

22. - Top - End - #172

5 blows to knock him back. If I started a pool, I would've betted on 3

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Horace Greenhilt: Whoa, Roy! what the Hel?!
    Roy: Oh, oh I'm sorry, grandpa. I didn't mean to snap like that.
    Horace: No, stay snapped! STAY SNAPPED!! Ahh gods damnit.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Roy has found a way to become a "Green Star Adept" from Complete Arcane. My theory is he's on his way to becoming a construct.
    Well, he was pretty wooden to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    It's not Stormbringer
    Of course not. We're not using Chaosium rules in this comic.

...It would be Blackrazor.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Father Miles View Post
    It is probably coincidence, but the only entity I remember with a Green flame aura (other than the Eastern gods) was the Oracle (and possibly Tiamat).
    Probably a coincidence indeed, who knows though, as however unlikely it might be perhaps the hilt was imbued with magic in some form or another when Horace used it to fight the green dragon of Reddragonsville.

But it is probably just the star-metal.

26. - Top - End - #176

Heheh, I was feeling kind of 'meh' about the sword finally activating at the end of the last strip, like it was a bit too.. plotty in my face or something. But it was a storyline hook? Well played, sir, well played.
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Idiotic_Bird View Post
    "I don't know if you started out as Durkon and turned into this, or you're just squatting in his corpse, but I was stupid to think it even matters!"

He doesn't know whether Durkula is an entirely different entity than Durkon. He just knows that he's not the Durkon he remembers anymore, because his friend Durkon wouldn't say such horrible things about his brother.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    The last panel caught me off-guard, and reminded me that the Azure City blacksmith thought Roy might come to want to see a downside to this green flame effect.

Is it possible Roy is not fully himself when the effect activates?
    Mmmm. Yes, that's innnnteresting.

I went and looked at that strip (dang - one more post and I can use links! ... okay, it's #297, right?).

What's interesting to me are the exact words that the Master Swordsmith uses when discussing the sword's side effect (for which she would recommend ... something ... with which to counteract said effect):

"It is likely that your sword will sometimes glow with a deadly green energy that is particularly harmful to the undead."

(beat)

"In order to counteract this, I recommend --"

Now why would anyone, especially a good-aligned fighter, want to counteract that?

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssStalker View Post
    Probably a coincidence indeed, who knows though, as however unlikely it might be perhaps the hilt was imbued with magic in some form or another when Horace used it to fight the green dragon of Reddragonsville.

But it is probably just the star-metal.
    Probably, yes, but it is true that our knowledge concerning the sword's history, particularly when Horace was using it, is limited.

Just to be clear, I'm not hanging my hat on this ... I just love thinking about and discussing such things, so ... what if Roy's sword has a mind and will of its own, perhaps similar to Stormbringer (see the Micheal Moorcock novels featuring Elric of Melniboné)?

What a thought.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Posted this in a thread just made about the sword, but I'll repeat some of my thoughts here.

Long ago, Rich Burlew designed a PrC for melee/caster types called the The Bearer of the Ancestral Weapon. It is very possible that some of the ideas behind that PrC, especially when it came to powers granted by the Ancestral Weapon, are in play here, if heavily modified.
    I'd agree some, but not all. Which makes an interesting twist. Rich has always stated that he doesn't get that specific about some things. That's good, because of it was his class he's altered it. Roy can't cast greater magic Weapon, so he wouldn't be eligible for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian Tieus View Post
    I'd put my money on a Legacy Weapon (Weapon of Legacy, 3.5. Great and underrated manual).

It has all the typical features of a legacy weapon:

-A normal magic weapon for a casual wielder;
    -Additional powers bestowed upon a "chosen one";
    -LITERALLY a legacy that bounds it to the "chosen one";
    -The "chosen one" had to complete a series of quests and oaths to unlock the weapon powers, such as:
    * a special quest to retrieve/repair/reinforce the weapon
    * a special/unique material involved
    * fighting undeads, swearing an oath against them.
    * (MABYE) Killed by an undead and raised (not sure about this one)

The power that it bestow on the wielder seems to be related to those quests, as they seem to include:

- A better version of a Bane weapon (Mabye something like Smite?)
    - Fast Healing, or negative energy resistance/nullification (Most of his wound was done by an Harm spell)
    - Rage against undead

This power seems to be progressive: it was just a magic weapon at first, then it became an undead bane weapon, and now is a "**** it... I'd flee that if I were a ghoul" weapon.

All points towards a Legacy Weapon in my opinion.
    This seems a little more likely to me, or (more likely) combining the two ideas. The weapon itself is an Ancestral Weapon (enchanted to whatever level Rich deemed appropriate), but he isn't using the actual class itself, just the weapon idea.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

30. - Top - End - #180

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Orful Biggun View Post
    Mmmm. Yes, that's innnnteresting.

I went and looked at that strip (dang - one more post and I can use links! ... okay, it's #297, right?).

What's interesting to me are the exact words that the Master Swordsmith uses when discussing the sword's side effect (for which she would recommend ... something ... with which to counteract said effect):

"It is likely that your sword will sometimes glow with a deadly green energy that is particularly harmful to the undead."

(beat)

"In order to counteract this, I recommend --"

Now why would anyone, especially a good-aligned fighter, want to counteract that?
    By the same token, though, if the energy were something seriously detrimental to the wielder, wouldn't the swordsmith have mentioned it more than once, or tried to explain further?