1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Strong Female Protagonist II

Feral is the best friend ever.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

It's interesting how Alison sees "normal" people in her dream.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    It's interesting how Alison sees "normal" people in her dream.
    I was thinking of "My children whose faces I don't know yet and who are like blank sheets of paper to me".

4. - Top - End - #904
    Firbolg in the Playground

What about all the blood? Was it magic blood?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #905

BTW, next chapter will be the last one.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #906
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I really hope that wasn't supposed to be seen as sweet, because it's just making Patrick creepier and creepier.

7. - Top - End - #907

MindFlayer

So the next chapter is going to be the last one. Is it just me, or did this comic...not really ever go anywhere? I don't feel like any of the characters are in a substantially different place they were when they started, nor do I feel like there's been an overarching story that has hit either a climax or is coming to a close.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a bit surprised to hear this is ending, I really feel like it needs two or three more chapters instead of just one. But it also occurs to me that they may have other plans to explore the setting and that we don't need to get everything wrapped up for the various side characters here. I also assume that this will likely end with all the various conspiracy stuff either super rushed or deliberately left unfinished. If it is unfinished I am expecting some life lesson about how you can't have everything and need to let things go and all that jazz.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #909

I remember only the huge conspiracy of the biodynamic killings, and Gurwara, as unfinished business.

That stuff should be possible to resolve in one final book.
    What Allison does to make a difference, that doesn't need to have a final outcome within the comic ; dito for relationships.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Troll in the Playground

I still count a deranged serial killer and the guy she violated off the top of my head. I swear there was something else but I can't think of it right now.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2018-06-30 at 08:59 PM.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

11. - Top - End - #911

I was reading through the fifth issue again, and I realized something:
    Patrick can't see inside his own mind. He claims that he can deduce approximately what is in his head based on his observations of other people's minds. But, as Allison just recently found out, the inside of Patrick's head is completely different from that of other people, and so he may have had no idea of the "city" in his mind until he saw Allison observing it. If Patrick had been able to read his own mind all along, then he might have been able to fix it years earlier.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I still count a deranged serial killer and the guy she violated off the top of my head. I swear there was something else but I can't think of it right now.
    I thought those were wrapped up? Or as wrapped up as they need to be at least?

13. - Top - End - #913

Moonshadow is dead if I didn't misunderstood and/or misremember.

The guys she violated, there are a few, but most of them posed a 'philosophical' problem, like "how to prevent rape" and "freedom of will vs. objectively greater good". The last one of these was a possible clue to the conspiracy, but I think he has outplayed his role.
    Being who Alison is, she solved these problems with excessive force and arguably within the bounds of Kant's categorical imperative. So...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I thought those were wrapped up? Or as wrapped up as they need to be at least?
    Think so.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post

The guys she violated, there are a few, but most of them posed a 'philosophical' problem, like "how to prevent rape" and "freedom of will vs. objectively greater good". The last one of these was a possible clue to the conspiracy, but I think he has outplayed his role.
    Being who Alison is, she solved these problems with excessive force and arguably within the bounds of Kant's categorical imperative. So...

Think so.
    I was under the impression Moonstone got away. I’ll reread it after work. Also I still feel there is a lot of talk left to be done on the Max issue even if he is likely out of the story for now.

Oh god anything but discussion about Kants Categorical Imperative I can only hande one of those in a week.

15. - Top - End - #915

Oh god anything but discussion about Kants Categorical Imperative I can only hande one of those in a week.
    I said 'arguably' and mean that if it applies there, it's sketchy. I won't press the point because nobody would get anywhere with that discussion restarted.

16. - Top - End - #916

Think so.
    Moonshadow is not dead. Her story is pretty much wrapped up, though.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I think part of why people, me included, expect there to be more with Max and Moonshadow is because the scenarios were left with really unsatisfying conclusions. Moonshadow will keep murdering people and Al learned nothing. Sure "We got this" as she said. Except no, not really. Because in the Max chapter she manages to botch THAT up by charging on ahead, refusing help from others and deciding that "we" don't got this. "I got this and you should all sit down and do as I say" is what happens instead.

So you're left wanting refinement and retuning. For these issues to be revisited with a better thought out examination of it's implications.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Honestly, I think part of why people, me included, expect there to be more with Max and Moonshadow is because the scenarios were left with really unsatisfying conclusions. Moonshadow will keep murdering people and Al learned nothing. Sure "We got this" as she said. Except no, not really. Because in the Max chapter she manages to botch THAT up by charging on ahead, refusing help from others and deciding that "we" don't got this. "I got this and you should all sit down and do as I say" is what happens instead.

So you're left wanting refinement and retuning. For these issues to be revisited with a better thought out examination of it's implications.
    I've also been of the general opinion that the comic ends in a way that pretty much condoned Moonshadow's madness and that was also pretty disturbing to me.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh it definitely did. At least if you judge by the cast page.

Lately (Moonshadow has) struck out on her own and has been fighting a different kind of evil.
    So yeah... I'd say the comic states that Moonshadow's murder spree is a good way to fight the evils of rape.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    So yeah... I'd say the comic states that Moonshadow's murder spree is a good way to fight the evils of rape.
    Considering she used sodium pentathol for her torture sessions she is just as likely fighting the evils of confirmation bias.

21. - Top - End - #921

So, we're finally getting to see the guy Patrick has been using as a figurehead. Without Patrick there, he seems reasonably sane at first glance. But that might not mean much in this comic.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So, we're finally getting to see the guy Patrick has been using as a figurehead. Without Patrick there, he seems reasonably sane at first glance. But that might not mean much in this comic.
    Patrick can read minds, least you forgot. He is also skilled enough at manipulation that a sane person would be a much better pick for a figurehead than an insane one.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    It isn't the first time we see him, but it sure is a long time since he was introduced back in chapter 3.

24. - Top - End - #924

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    It isn't the first time we see him, but it sure is a long time since he was introduced back in chapter 3.
    Thanks, I’d forgotten about that.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, that was unexpected. Looks like the plot just kicked into gear in a big way.

26. - Top - End - #926

I'm calling "illusion", ready to be proven wrong on Friday. Possibly a trap to lure Menace out of hiding.

Also, Duval has lied there, has he? Or have there been clues to Patrick actually being a russian agent? For Bratstvo, I could only find that it means "fraternity" in russian.

And the "closed" document folder looks similar to the one that Patrick showed Allison when they met. So Duval wasn't ever shown that folder - or he lied again.
    Finally, I wonder about the golden-eyed woman who is an associate of Mr. Hippo but either observes the scene with or without his approval.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm calling "illusion", ready to be proven wrong on Friday.
    My first thought was a (possibly induced) nightmare.
    But yeah, I doubt this is really happening.
    The whole sequence has felt kinda... off and the sudden hippo-maw is just too weird.

I guess it's either a trap for Pat or some form of enhanced interrogation.
    Or maybe a test of his loyalty?

On the other hand if that is that Bond villain's face* some of those could still apply.
    And it would imply some interesting things about the conspiracy and why they knew about powers.

But real or fake, those are some really impressive teeth.

*or he created the illusion I guess...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #928
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Patrick's true identity could be an elaborate lie he created in case Duval betrayed him.

I'm thinking this is the conspiracy Patrick has been playing cat and mouse with, finally coming to remove him from the board.

By appearances, we have a shapeshifter and probably a power nullifier. Their motive is pretty mysterious at this point, but their next move is likely replacing/impersonating Duval.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So is part of the conspiracy covering up the fact that biodynamics existed before the storm or did they figure out a way to give people biodynamic powers?

Hippo-man even said that Duval is too old to be menace.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    So is part of the conspiracy covering up the fact that biodynamics existed before the storm or did they figure out a way to give people biodynamic powers?

Hippo-man even said that Duval is too old to be menace.
    Duval is too old, sure. Why would Duval be biodynamic?