New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Strong Female Protagonist II

So, I read this comic for the first time! Actually, I read issue 5. I tried opening a previous chapter, but it didn't look very attractive to me.
    It's nice. I like the protagonist. However, I feel like the writer seriously needs some exercise in synthesis. It's also strange how much difficult the protagonist found to find counterarguments to the Invisible Knifer's, and how meek she was - people I know would get seriously pissed off if all that garbage logic were thrown to them. I also found that the human torch was simply too stupid as a character to have any meaning, at least in that chapter.
    Issue 6 looks very promising, however. And, in general, I like how relaxing this comic is.

The Bad Webcomics user who made the review of the comic completely misread it, but, well, that's normal business for the BWW.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think you miss some interesting parts of the story if you skip the earlier Issues.

Anyway,
    The thing is that Moonshadow (the invisible killer) is a old friend and sister-in-arms from Alison’s hero days, so being shaken by what she said (and did) is kinda understandable.

Besides, something that comes up from time to time in the comic is that Alison‘s worldview is a bit... naive/dealistic and has a hard time when those ideals are challenged.
    She is not good with this stuff, but she tries because she can't punch the world into a better place and tries to find a better, a „perfect” solution.

I think she put it pretty well in Issue one (or was it two) when she visits an old enemy (Daniel, the guy in Issue six) in prison. At this point Alison said how hard it is for her not to break stuff and people every day, how much restraint she needs to get through the day. My favourite part of the rant was how she should get parades and holidays for every day she doesn't kill someone.

But yeah, Furnace was an idiot. In all of his appearances.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #153
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, the old art isn't as good as the current art, but it sets of a lot of the backstory and characterization - without it, stuff you're reading now will make a lot less sense.

4. - Top - End - #154

Reading the previous chapter. The idea that organ donation doesn't solve problems was the weirdest I've ever read, otherwise, all fine.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Reading the previous chapter. The idea that organ donation doesn't solve problems was the weirdest I've ever read, otherwise, all fine.
    The conflict there was micro versus macro. Feral's sacrifice meant individual people would be saved and specific problems fixed. To single out one small example, someone has kidney cancer, they can get a new kidney, but other people could and would develop kidney cancer in the future - a micro solution. Allison looks for macro solutions, the 'perfect answer' - she would want to develop a cure for kidney cancer so that no one ever needs a non-cancerous kidney again and Feral doesn't have to sacrifice to give them hers. Now extrapolate that to world hunger, rapists, whatever - Allison looks for sweeping macro solutions to this issues, regarding micro solutions as temporary palliatives rather than true answers.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2016-05-18 at 07:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The conflict there was micro versus macro. Feral's sacrifice meant individual people would be saved and specific problems fixed. To single out one small example, someone has kidney cancer, they can get a new kidney, but other people could and would develop kidney cancer in the future - a micro solution. Allison looks for macro solutions, the 'perfect answer' - she would want to develop a cure for kidney cancer so that no one ever needs a non-cancerous kidney again and Feral doesn't have to sacrifice to give them hers. Now extrapolate that to world hunger, rapists, whatever - Allison looks for sweeping macro solutions to this issues, regarding micro solutions as temporary palliatives rather than true answers.
    Yeah its an interesting argument. While feral isnt solving the underlying problem, people get cancer, she is helping people out right now. Whereas allison isnt helping anyone right now because she is busy looking at the long term solution. Or at least trying to create one. While laudable, the reality is, you need both. Until a long term solution for kidney cancer can be thought up and implemented, there are a lot of people suffering NOW who need help too. Even if she DOES have a way to wipe out kidney cancer, that wouldnt really help the people who already have it. Just like how a vaccine for mumps doesnt do any good for people already ill with it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #157

From my perspective, an universal donor is a sweeping solution, as it means many different organs available, each one of whose can be an answer to different conditions, but I get that, seen from ex Mega Girl, the sweeping solution would be if everyone could become like her. I actually like the way in which her view of the world and of what people need changes. It's quite human, she's just 20!

I also appreciate webcomics because they make me discover unexpected things, like the strange culture were Volta (the guy from whose name the volt was named) has been forgotten by the masses, or where you need to pay money to have the chance of a transplant. Some revelations from other comics were the fact that there are places where calamari are exotic food, boars are a novelty, greeting a girl with a kiss on her cheek can reasonably put you in conflict with your girlfriend, and knowledge of a foreign language is unusual.

BTW, we have a word for Ali's view as described by Traab: Benaltrism, which can be translated as "It takes much more, much else"-ism: the idea that any project which doesn't solve everything immediately must be discarded. It's a paralyzing force and a big problem, when the wrong people start using it to impede positive change while feigning to promote it.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2016-05-18 at 08:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Heh, Alison and her perfect solution, her one punch victory...
    Didn't Patrick observe that they both have this flaw? That they would rather accept setbacks/take a beating until they can find one of those than use a „lesser” method to deal with a problem?

Of course Alison wouldn't accept Feral’s plan, it goes completely against her nature, her believes, her very ideals*. And I think we established already that Al doesn't really get that other people might think/act differently from her because their perspective is incredibly different.
    Okay, to be fair, I think she is learning- even if the philosophy lesson shows that she has a long way to go- and has been thinking how she could incorporate the goals/methods of others in her plans.

*not to mention the whole „good friend suffers unspeakable pain 24/7 as all her organs are harvested repeatedly” business

9. - Top - End - #159

For that matter, I think it was mentioned in the comic itself that even at maximum donation/regeneration speed, Feral would still only be a drop in the bucket of total people needing one transplant or another. All the difference in the world for the lucky ones who got said transplants, but little actual impact on the world itself.

10. - Top - End - #160

For that matter, I think it was mentioned in the comic itself that even at maximum donation/regeneration speed, Feral would still only be a drop in the bucket of total people needing one transplant or another. All the difference in the world for the lucky ones who got said transplants, but little actual impact on the world itself.
    I honestly think that might depend. I mean, most people are on the donor list for weeks or months before getting their match. Feral couldnt help the entire world, but I bet she would GREATLY reduce the wait time on transplants because there could be two waiting lists running at the same time. The Feral list, and the matched transplant list. They put you on the much longer feral list while searching for a match. if you get a match you are taken off the feral list. But that depends on how many times she can be "harvested" per day. Can she regrow her heart say, 10 times a day? More? How about her other organs?

Hell, I could see her having a massive effect on medicine overall. Wherever she is held would become THE location for training up and coming surgeons. They have a regenerating patient where mistakes arent fatal and you have to learn to move decisively and accurately because of her constant healing. Plus with the need to rotate surgeons who will get tired constantly removing organs and such there would be plenty of room for students and masters to work at a steady rate. Not only that, but obviously there would be a need for a lot of beds to transfer patients in and out for their transplants. They could turn the entire area into transplant town. A town, or a city full of people adjusting to their new organs and such, with a massive hospital complex at its center. Her "small" solution could have untold amounts of effect on the medical field in addition to what she was there to do.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Run it down, she likely does two separate lungs, 1 heart, 2 partial livers, all of her bone marrow, two kidneys and both retinas, likely over the course of 18 or so hours (this doesn't include things like all her blood as well), and the real big limitation is her body's tendency to heal over itself. if you figure most people get a partial or a single organ and her healing is such that she can give multiple organs of the same type in a session you're talking about personally saving ~1500 people a year on both kidneys and livers if they take a single kidney each or partial liver transplants.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Run it down, she likely does two separate lungs, 1 heart, 2 partial livers, all of her bone marrow, two kidneys and both retinas, likely over the course of 18 or so hours (this doesn't include things like all her blood as well), and the real big limitation is her body's tendency to heal over itself. if you figure most people get a partial or a single organ and her healing is such that she can give multiple organs of the same type in a session you're talking about personally saving ~1500 people a year on both kidneys and livers if they take a single kidney each or partial liver transplants.
    Dont forget skin grafts for burn victims, and possibly her nerves to help the paralyzed walk again. Intestinal tract for those using colostomy bags maybe? Ovaries for those young women who have lost their ability to have children through accident, really, the potential is huge. Of course the downside is driving her utterly insane from the never ending agony, but that was going to happen anyways, so might as well harvest as much as you can.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ovaries for those young women who have lost their ability to have children through accident, really, the potential is huge. .
    Somehow I don't think this specific one would go over so well. That's basically using all those young women as surrogates, not the other way round - the ovaries+eggs she donated would be contributing half the child's genetic material, after all.

14. - Top - End - #164

Somehow I don't think this specific one would go over so well. That's basically using all those young women as surrogates, not the other way round - the ovaries+eggs she donated would be contributing half the child's genetic material, after all.
    Maybe, I was just throwing random body parts at the wall to see what sticks. the main point was, Feral could help with just... SO MUCH. Vital organ transplants are just the start. Hell, got diabetes from a malfunctioning pancreas? We can fix that!

15. - Top - End - #165

Maybe, I was just throwing random body parts at the wall to see what sticks. the main point was, Feral could help with just... SO MUCH. Vital organ transplants are just the start. Hell, got diabetes from a malfunctioning pancreas? We can fix that!
    Yeah, but ultimately it's still a micro solution - treating the symptoms, but not curing the disease, which is why Allison didn't like it (besides her friend suffering in horrific agony for the rest of her extremely long life, at least).

Though interestingly, that whole arc can now be contrasted against current-day Allison, showing her evolution as a character; her founding of Valkyrie is also a micro solution to the problem of abused/battered women - but for the people it helps, it makes a literal world of difference.

16. - Top - End - #166

Yeah, but ultimately it's still a micro solution - treating the symptoms, but not curing the disease, which is why Allison didn't like it (besides her friend suffering in horrific agony for the rest of her extremely long life, at least).

Though interestingly, that whole arc can now be contrasted against current-day Allison, showing her evolution as a character; her founding of Valkyrie is also a micro solution to the problem of abused/battered women - but for the people it helps, it makes a literal world of difference.
    Thats because there is no macro solution short of hiring her mind bending buddy to brainwash the world into being decent human beings to each other. And as I said earlier, yeah its a micro solution, but its one that feral can do, and its one thats needed, because even if allison DID discover a magic method of instantly making it impossible to be sick or injured or have lousy genes, that wouldnt help all the people who are already dealing with the issue. You need both. Dont spend all your time scanning the sky for dragons or else you might find yourself stung by scorpions. Or something to that effect.

17. - Top - End - #167

Thats because there is no macro solution short of hiring her mind bending buddy to brainwash the world into being decent human beings to each other. And as I said earlier, yeah its a micro solution, but its one that feral can do, and its one thats needed, because even if allison DID discover a magic method of instantly making it impossible to be sick or injured or have lousy genes, that wouldnt help all the people who are already dealing with the issue. You need both. Dont spend all your time scanning the sky for dragons or else you might find yourself stung by scorpions. Or something to that effect.
    Yeah, and that's why I mentioned Valkyrie - she's learned that micro solutions are, sometimes, better than macro ones, particularly since they're far easier to implement and more immediate.

18. - Top - End - #168

Well, given that there are couples who pay thousands of dollars to have the woman be pregnant of a child conceived through another woman's eggs, I don't think it would be a problem for everyone. There also are countries which will actually pay you to "donate" your eggs (I don't know how the words donation and payment manage to sit together in this case).

Of course, there is the fact that donating eggs means about a month of preparatory treatment. I wonder how this would work, if ovaries could be directly donated, which would be Feral's strong point. As it turns out, ovarian tissue can be donated, but it normally is a process restricted to strict family members. The problem is, of course, how special Feral is, and whether everyone would be happy about having a kid like her.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thank you very much for that particular image.

Wasn't part of the reason that Feral is a perfect universal donator that the transplanted organs adapt to the new body to some degree? Making (almost) all parts of her viable for transplantation?
    All I definitely remember is that they don't use her eyes because they are visibly different and they don't want that a patient gets targeted by Biodynamic-haters.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2016-05-19 at 06:55 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Thing is, just at few hundred people per year, Feral's sacrifice can and will have huge ripple effects over larger society. Reason: most of those people will live for more than a year, so they add up, and will make contributions of their own they otherwise wouldn't.

If Feral ends up saving f.ex. one specialist doctor, that doctor might go on to help dozens of people themselves. There's potential for a positive feedback loop there.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

21. - Top - End - #171

Now I am wondering how it would go with using her brain for transplants. I know, it is a faulty concept, because our identity is more connected to what is in our brain than to anything else in our body, but I also could see someone (more or less misguided) wanting a cerebrally dead body on life support to get back to walk. Normal standards for death don't seem to apply to her. If someone were to extract her brain, would a body grow around her brain, or a new brain grow in her skull? She can survive brain injuries without memory loss or anything.

Beside the somewhat creepy idea of Feral losing her body waking up in someone other's, and a new Feral with the same memories inhabiting her original one, I wonder, if her body regenerates from her brain, whether she could be used for a full body transplant. It would, in a certain sense, be a waste, because dozens of organs would be used for a single person, but I can think of a few situations in which saving a single person can mean saving thousands because of the stability this single person can bring. I can imagine a few bodies kept in freezers until someone needs them.

I suppose I am heading off from a socially interested superhero webcomic to a "let's take realistic implications to the extreme" comic, but these are interesting things to think about.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    If Feral ends up saving f.ex. one specialist doctor, that doctor might go on to help dozens of people themselves. There's potential for a positive feedback loop there.
    What if, among the countless thousands saved, there are some exceptionally unscrupulous folks? A serial killer, corrupt politicians or business leaders, and such?

edit: for brevity.
    Last edited by Shalist; 2016-05-25 at 01:24 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Shalist View Post
    What if, among the countless thousands saved, there are some exceptionally unscrupulous folks? A serial killer, corrupt politicians or business leaders, and such?

edit: for brevity.
    Eh, I think the positive people outweigh the negative. After all, the world is still running, and mankind is a rather sociable lot. Besides, you could say that of any doctor or paramedic, right here, right now. Their problem is keeping people alive, how they are going to live is a matter for other people, like policemen, judges, legislative assemblies...

24. - Top - End - #174

So no chit chat on the last few comics? Dang, the feels are strong on the previous update. Poor cleaver has to accept that his little coping mechanism of believing everyone is evil, therefore its not so bad that he killed them, was likely false and he was hurting a lot of decent human beings. As for the latest update, meh. I will wait till something actually happens before commenting on it.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Allison's problem with Feral's actions aren't only (or primarily) that they aren't a "one-punch" solution to the world's problems. Her issue is that her friend is going to be in horrible, torturous pain, almost every hour of every day, for the rest of her life, and that sacrifice isn't going to fundamentally change the world. It will save lives - and Allison herself acknowledges that it is incredibly heroic - but she hates the idea of Feral having to go through that. Especially since what Feral is doing doesn't have an endpoint where Feral has succeeded and can then stop and go on and live her life.

In short, Allison's doesn't have a fundamental objection to anyone doing things to help the world without changing it - she just feels that the price her friend is having to pay for that is far too high.

And it seems like there ought to be a better answer. In the world of SFP, we know there are plenty of biodynamics who are absolute geniuses in a specfic area. There should be someone, or a team of someones, somewhere who could use Feral's cells to develop cloned organs that can be transplanted, without Feral having to be tortured continually.

(Also, if we go back to the beginning of the comic, and to Allison's conversation with Patrick in the previous chapter, it seems like Allison's initial goal was not "fix the world" but "find something that makes a major enough contribution to the world that this mysterious conspiracy targets me, and I can root it out". {Also, based on the TV interview that prompted her to quit superheroism, another objective was "prevent the government for weaponizing me for foreign wars" - which would have been a good enough reason on its own.} It was only after discovering what Feral was doing, and then learning that her father had cancer, that Allison became absorbed in the need to do something - because terrible things were happening to people she cared about, and she couldn't do anything to fix them.)

The objective of dealing with the conspiracy seems like one better suited to Allison's skills (being incredibly difficult to harm is an asset when dealing with mysterious conspiracies), as that would preserve the lives of other biodynamics whose abilities are more suited to achieving major socioeconomic change. But Valkyrie doesn't seem like a large enough effort to make her a target. Pintsize's new project is another matter - we haven't seen hide nor hair of the conspiracy since pretty much the beginning of the comic, and it's about time for them to show up.

On another subject: the recent comics showing Allison and Daniel's interactions have been fantastic. As much as Allison wants to make a major difference, it's her interactions like this, with individuals, that show her heroism best. And Cleaver's a truly tragic and sympathetic character at this point.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2016-05-25 at 09:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

Yeah, here is the fun part. Do you feel sympathy for him? Dude horrifically murdered a lot of people over the years. Yeah NOW he may be understanding he was wrong, but that doesnt change what he did. His life is a tragic mess, but he caused so much tragedy to others, its hard to decide what to feel for him. Repentance is a thing sure, but dang man.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't need to pick one emotion to feel about Dan, though. I can judge him and also feel bad for him.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New Comic

Alison has a date. With the underwear guy. I hope nothing terrible happens.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, here is the fun part. Do you feel sympathy for him? Dude horrifically murdered a lot of people over the years. Yeah NOW he may be understanding he was wrong, but that doesnt change what he did. His life is a tragic mess, but he caused so much tragedy to others, its hard to decide what to feel for him. Repentance is a thing sure, but dang man.
    Feeling sympathy for others is not mutually exclusive with judging them by their actions, and in a person of integrity it does not affect said judgement.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New Comic

Alison has a date. With the underwear guy. I hope nothing terrible happens.
    Terrible things are happening to Clevin already. Not that he's blameless...but I kinda expect the comic to dump on him more than he deserves.