New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Strong Female Protagonist II

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It just goes to show you how irrational people can be. "I have it worse than you therefore your problems arent" Pain is pain. Someone doesnt have to suffer as much as you to still be suffering.
    Can be? That implies (most) people are usually rational (about stuff they care about).

But yeah, the rant- and especially the tone -was a bit out of line. It is understandable, but it is still out of line. Shows that these guys are all still pretty young. Not that being older means being more reasonable.

"I know an airbrush and a can of paint solves all of your problems." is still a amusing line. Absolutely wrong, incredible insulting, but kinda amusing.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Can be? That implies (most) people are usually rational (about stuff they care about).

But yeah, the rant- and especially the tone -was a bit out of line. It is understandable, but it is still out of line. Shows that these guys are all still pretty young. Not that being older means being more reasonable.

"I know an airbrush and a can of paint solves all of your problems." is still a amusing line. Absolutely wrong, incredible insulting, but kinda amusing.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ile-paint.html

When life beats art.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post

The can in question was referring to how far away from rationality people can go. He was all set to start a freaking fist fight over his pity party of "who has it worse"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

I really want to feel with Tina and it is great that this group tries to accommodate her, but there is a point where it gets absurd.
    I mean okay, being a sapient cloud of gas must be horrible, but one of the problems dynamorphs have are their bodies, or rather the difference to those of boring* people and those biodynamics that can pass as one so visiting this meeting and then feeling unsafe because others talk about said problem using the word „body” seems a bit silly.
    Well, maybe they can talk around it by talking about their appearance or the way others see them, but then the permanently invisible person will be offended about that word choice.
    At some point you have to use words to communicate and while being polite and avoiding the use of insulting/offensive language should be avoided that shouldn't be taken to the point of parody.

*read „normal”
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Definitely have to agree that it was taken to the point of being absurd. It was almost physically painful to read.

6. - Top - End - #216

I agree, and I wonder if thats actually the point. Its being exaggerated to the point where nothing can be done or even discussed without offending someone else. And this is a freaking SUPPORT GROUP. Also, love how they are making the green gal feel like crap for not being as horrifically disadvantaged as they are. She has to practically crawl to them to avoid being attacked over her "privilege"

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, this has turned from a somewhat potentially realistic depiction of a support group into some sort of weird parody of a Tumblr support group, and I'm glad I'm not the only person picking up on the weirdness here.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, this has turned from a somewhat potentially realistic depiction of a support group into some sort of weird parody of a Tumblr support group, and I'm glad I'm not the only person picking up on the weirdness here.
    One thing that is interesting though is the way things are unfolding. Like you said, this is supposed to be a support group, and at its most surface level, it makes sense. Its a place for people who look visibly different to talk about it and try to cope. But the problem is, unlike most support groups where everyone is pretty much the same, as an example, cancer is cancer, while it can be broken down into specific TYPES, pretty much anyone with say, colon cancer can relate to anyone else with a similar stage of it. But as we see here, everyone is so different from each other, that they cant even relate through that. And the worst part is, there arent enough of them to break down into segments like a breast cancer versus lung cancer setup. And even if there WAS I bet there arent enough dynomorphs willing to get into psychology or whatever to be the group leaders, because there is no way in hell any of them are going to be comfortable talking to a "normy" therapist.

So they all are trying to share experiences and you have one end of the spectrum, a girl who looks totally normal, except she has green skin, versus a bell jar of intelligent GAS. How can you really understand how the other feels? Its like they tried to follow the standard route of dealing with mental and emotional issues, and didn't realize how unhelpful it would be in this case due to the gulf separating them into various subsets of the group.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wow those people sound insufferable. It's like the most vicious caricatures of "SJW"s came to annoying life in comic form.

I just had a terrible/awesome thought. Imagine if this comic turns out to be a very detailed and brutal analysis of why Allison's philosophy, and by extension the whole social justice movement, is at best misguided and at worst actively harmful? it would be the greatest trolling ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

I think with this the comic is moving away from drama and into comedy. Well, maybe not from the comic itself, but the comment section on the comic is pure hilarity.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Imagine if it were possible to recognize misguided and/or harmful dynamics within a philosophy or movement without painting the whole thing with that brush.

Yeah, no, too unrealistic. My mistake.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Imagine if it were possible to recognize misguided and/or harmful dynamics within a philosophy or movement without painting the whole thing with that brush.

Yeah, no, too unrealistic. My mistake.
    I'm a bit curious what you're saying here, because us here are mostly talking about how incredibly warping and selfish Tina's demand is, and how weird it is for the group to bend themselves over backwards to accomodate this social bullying.

If you're talking about the comic itself, it's not really done with it's argument on what a support group is (I hope) so it's a bit unfair to judge the comic on these two comics alone.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm talking about thorgrim's comment. Should have quoted. Or should have simply left what was probably a joke alone.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-07-11 at 06:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Mostly a joke.... It would be masterful trolling and I would get a huge laugh out of it but I don't think it's likely or that the amount of sheer bile that would require is justified. Hell most of the people who make a living criticizing social justice probably wouldn't go that far. So that part was a joke.

The serious part is that I think a big part of this comic is an examination of the flaws of that whole ideology/movement without throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It's a laudable effort though I think at the end of the day it's probably going to fail because the people the author is trying to reach (as in the more dogmatic subset of social justice people) ignore everyone who doesn't pass their ever-stricter purity tests (apparently disagreement is triggering or something) so they'll probably check out if individualism guy or the professor don't turn up to be horrible people for daring to disagree with a teenager's understanding of morality and society but hey, at least we get a good read out of it right?
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2016-07-11 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep. :thumbsup:

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah yeah. Fair 'nuff.

Also, the author would probably reach some of the more dogmatic individuals if he had someone else argue against Al. Because the main problem the comic has with presenting counter-points to Al is that they're done by individuals whose arguments will be dismissed out of hand because they're male. Mary is the exception and she's... well, Mary. And the comic stuttered so badly around Feral, I'm not even sure it was trying to properly explain and elaborate on Feral's choice.

Honestly, after this sene I want to see one of the girls there step out, and potentially discuss with Al why they left later on. If they found the atmosphere to be stifling, intellectually dishonest, or just regular plain old dishonest. The exact reasoning isn't so important, as the argument that such aggressively accomodating "safe spaces" can be just as unsafe and repulsive for people in need of help is an argument I feel needs to be made.

At the very least, I have a personal desire to see Tina verbally cuffed. That aggressive discourse domination makes it incredibly difficult to participate in such support groups.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

The sentiment expressed in today's update reminds me a lot of this article. It's probably impossible to say anything else about that article within forum rules. Um. I guess my point is that today's update makes a lot of sense to me, and is the sort of intellectual/emotional grappling with validation I would expect to find in this environment.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for sharing. That was a very well-written and articulate... well, article.

It was enjoyable to read, and I'm most certainly seeing the paralell.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I wouldn't call it enjoyable, exactly, but it certainly was enlightening.

And as for the comic...we're mood whiplashing back to something genuine and realistic again.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the absurdity of last few pages is not a parody, exactly, it's an illustration of what happens when you try to stretch arguments meant to apply between different to humans to cover genuinely non-human creatures. I think that rather than taking this as a straight metaphor of real-life support groups, it should be taken as a subversion and viewed through the lens of actual superpowers challenging the scope and validity of several common arguments.

Which is not too different from Feral's case. Imagine if Feral was just a normal person who could donate her organs just once. Then Alison's rant of how it's not a real solution would've hit much closer to home.

Or when Alison stopped Miles. If Alison had been a normal girl, her acting aggressive towards Miles would've likely gone unnoticed. It's her superhuman strength and status which make others take it especially seriously.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

21. - Top - End - #231

This latest comic, its hard to put into words. I agree with her, there seems to be this unnatural pressure to make everyone think of themself as beautiful, to FEEL beautiful, and in many cases, it just feels like an attempt at self delusion. You can talk about being beautiful on the inside or whatever phrasing you prefer, but its not wrong to be unhappy with how you physically look while still finding reason to like yourself.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes, these are people who don't even look remotely human anymore. And they didn't grow up like that, for the first 14 years they had a human body, so for them, at some point they just turned into freaks.

I can fully understand that they hate it. And really no matter of talking will change it. And the only people who'll even get close to understanding will be others with a similar condition.

23. - Top - End - #233

Heh, so now we are back to the mystery man, and we learn he is one of the ultra rich.

24. - Top - End - #234

50 Shades of Max?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Before reading the latest SFP, I recommend you bring a pillow to place on your desk. Y'know. So you don't break your face when you headdesk at the sheer whatness.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I'm glad we're not taking Underpants Gnome seriously, because he's had no value-add anyway, but is it sheltered of me to consider that extraordinarily clueless even for the stereotype?

27. - Top - End - #237

When it comes to me, this is the only comic in which suspense isn't due to emotional involvement in the destiny of characters, but to the concrete fear of something massively stupid or clichéd making recent developments meaningless &/or enraging. Let's see how it's rolled - was it a joke? Is it better than it looks? Is Ali going to learn something new?

EDIT: rereading, I am pretty sure it's a joke.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2016-07-29 at 04:52 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say it's not just clueless. It's aggressively stupid. So far, Max has been sly, clever, charming, and able to say the right things for the most part. There was a bit of a faux pas with Clevin, but I doubt he even knew Clevin had just invited Al to the movies.

But this? If you're flaunting your wealth, you don't say "oh and by the way the workers here are being mistreated economically". No one is impressed by that.

29. - Top - End - #239

MindFlayer

+1 to Marying's remarks. This whole thing feels painfully un-subtle in terms of how the character is being written. When Max first showed up a lot of people, myself included, thought "Oh he's going to turn out to be some villainous scumbag because he's being too nice and there's got to be a catch" despite the fact that he hadn't really done anything wrong. Either he was going to be a red herring and turn out to be a decent person that Allison pushed away due to her own similar fears of "nice" guys, or he'd set up for a big betrayal down the road and the aforementioned concerns would be proven valid. But this is just...obvious? There's no ambiguity here anymore, it's 100% clear he's spoiled and thoughtless, which is exactly what the previous characterization would have us think he was good at denying. So what's even the point here?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Swinging rapidly between nuanced, realistic, and interesting and cartoonishly exaggerated black and white seems to be an increasingly common occurrence in the comic.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2016-07-29 at 09:35 AM.