New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE2!-CWBG-II-Cultural-Identity-Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by ZakThar View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't understand. Should we be saying empire(s) instead?
    As Dark indicated, I mention it mostly because of the podcast, where Pepper made the mistake of asking me about the term "nation" and it derailed the whole conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I attribute this largely to the region system (though I've tried to introduce the idea that the regions in question have opinions and identities of their own, even if they're ruled by someone else... I think I've failed miserably at that so far) and the fact that each of our respective sides or nations or whatever you wanna call them get controlled by one person.

Though in E1, I tended to think of Sycia's territory in terms of where the Doctrine was present more than I did her actual territorial bounds. I spent most of the Sunset War converting rather than fighting.

EDIT: And I'm thinking of fluffing Primus' religion as the warrior culture that's been built up rather than an actual religious faith.
    I can certainly understand the need and desire to differentiate regions from a player's whole domain, although it's worth mentioning I think that one of the reasons regions were made smaller for E2 compared to E1 was so that a single culture, or "nation" if you will, could spread comfortably across several regions, and avoid the weird patchwork that E1 sometimes threw up with completely different peoples living in regions right next to each other and all being ruled by the same government. So while you're free to write up your regions however you like. A region doesn't necessarily have to have a pre-existing government, even; if it's not run by a NPC or another player the chances are that whoever is in charge there has nominal authority at best.

With the above said, it's one of the open secrets of Empire's game design that it was originally inspired by Crusader Kings II, and while we've moved away from that with every rules development, that's a game which has a region-based system and yet conspicuously avoids the idea of nationhood (which, given its setting, is appropriate). A player there can have a realm spanning several different culture, language and religious groups, and although there are some de jure niceties, regions can change hands without serious regard to who their "natural" ruler is or should be.

That kind of attitude is something which has often been absent from Empire! but I think is worth bearing in mind. While obviously if a region you don't control contains some of "your" people you'll probably want to get your hands on it - and they might want to be reunited with their fellows (but equally, might not!) that doesn't necessarily have to be a barrier to other people getting hold of it and using it as a buffer region or seizing useful resources in it or whatever, or just taking it because they can and want to enhance their own prestige.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    He has, from his own admission, been spoken with by Quinton regarding his absence last round. This occurred when I managed to see him online via Skype, and offered my own friendly reminder.
    You make it sound like he's on the naughty step!

I wonder if some of the people who don't post aren't active in this thread, and thus miss the reminders. Assuming the list of outstanding players is not too long, I'll aim to send out last-minute reminder PMs on Friday or Saturday to people who haven't posted (and who I would have expected to post by then - Elemental, for instance, has been posting on Sunday morning for months, and has yet to miss a round I'm aware of, so I figure he knows what he's doing and doesn't need me to prod him). If that list is too long though it becomes tedious as one runs into the limit on PM recipients and/or the cooldown period between PMs. Also if I'm busy at the end of the week I might forget, or not have time. So don't count on that either. But I'll try to do it, anyhow.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Note to self: look up Crusader Kings 2

And to be clear: I intend for these cultures to clash with and occasionally shape Primus' own culture and behavior. Since Primus is setting out to conquer these regions, it'll take time for the various groups and ideas to intermingle into a cohesive whole. I'm actually kinda excited to see how it plays out.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-11-25 at 02:08 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

• BladeofObliviom
    *cough*

I've been spending the week dead for tax purposes.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Alright, cool. I thought I remembered that but I didn't see Federating actions on their part and I didn't have the time to dig for them.
    Heh, yeah.. As the one who suggested it it's not good for me to have postponed it. It will be starting this round though. Redemption?
    Last edited by Zayuz; 2015-11-25 at 03:17 PM.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinton, in the current situation with the Summer invasion of Geshemfar, could Rando roll tactical maneuvering to intercept murgen's units before they crossed the border to force an engagement in Geshemfar?

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Havanand
    Aedilred Havanand is approved.

Quinton, in the current situation with the Summer invasion of Geshemfar, could Rando roll tactical maneuvering to intercept murgen's units before they crossed the border to force an engagement in Geshemfar?
    With 17 being their only possible route by land to 16 (or 14 but with 13 being Summer controlled they could push in from that border and keep them in 17) I'll allow it. On that note.

Murgen while self defenses can be lumped under a single action, each individual attack action requires a distinct action. Also, unless I missed uncovering it on the map I don't believe Region 22 has been explored.

Reminder to all warring parties try to have war actions locked in by Friday, Midnight US Central time. I'm willing to entertain some extensions with the US holiday on Thursday but I don't want to be dealing with Saturday night/Sunday morning edits to get an advantage or I'll distribute your troops however I damn well please.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2015-11-25 at 10:06 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

I got round to doing a map for Nand. I'm not totally happy with it but I think in order to fix the remaining issues I'd have to re-do a lot of it from scratch: I made the mistake of starting at a small scale (by my standards) so it's hard to shrink the text much further and in order to include more icons I'd have to find space for a lot more text.

I am however quite pleased with it if only because this is the first map I've done which is entirely original to me, not making use of any third-party brushsets or textures (although, of course, I didn't design the typeface).

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #278

Goblin

I got round to doing a map for Nand. I'm not totally happy with it but I think in order to fix the remaining issues I'd have to re-do a lot of it from scratch: I made the mistake of starting at a small scale (by my standards) so it's hard to shrink the text much further and in order to include more icons I'd have to find space for a lot more text.

I am however quite pleased with it if only because this is the first map I've done which is entirely original to me, not making use of any third-party brushsets or textures (although, of course, I didn't design the typeface).
    I like it a lot. Well done I wish I could make maps half as good as this.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2015-11-26 at 01:00 PM.
    total-cluster**** of yogurt, drugs and sheep in EMPIRE!
    The rodent tribes of the Ruby Legion in EMPIRE2!
    The goblin kingdom of Jauder in EMPIRE3!
    The sailors of Izbefe in EMPIRE4!

9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well done!
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

10. - Top - End - #280

That's a really good map of your nation country, region, empire, whatever you want to call it...
    Last edited by DimpleLoamsdown; 2015-11-26 at 04:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Changed my military actions Psilulz, decided to just continue crusading.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

12. - Top - End - #282

It looks like I've (roughly) got the next two weeks to myself, so I can finally do stuff like flesh out the new Dhulciran clans brought to heel by the might of the one true boqorka.
    "Everyfing I see is mine. All da uvver bits are mine too - I just ain't got there yet." - Grimgor Ironhide

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woolli264 View Post
    I like it a lot. Well done I wish I could make maps half as good as this.
    Thanks. It's not too difficult, to be honest, but it is time-consuming. If you don't mind using predefined elements and brushsets, as I did for pretty much all my maps last game I think, it's possible to reduce that time significantly, though (and the artistic standard of the elements may be higher - although depending on the type of map you're going for that might not necessarily be a good thing...). The downsides of that are that the maps can often end up looking a bit samey and/or digital if you're not careful and it's more difficult to introduce original elements (if you can't find an appropriate one, for instance) without it looking out of place; obviously there are also theoretical issues about IP if you want to do anything else with the map afterwards, though it's probably not a problem for personal or most non-profit use if the original artist has made their brushes freely available anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Sue View Post
    Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by DimpleLoamsdown View Post
    That's a really good map of your nation country, region, empire, whatever you want to call it...
    Thanks guys! I think "kingdom" would be appropriate in this instance

Quote Originally Posted by ZakThar View Post
    If exploration bonus is applied, add 2 to the roll listed. (Still not sure if this applies, so I'll keep it here :P)
    Exploration bonuses don't count towards claims: it's an entirely separate procedure from colonisation. However you're well clear of the necessary TN for a second-round claim anyway (although I'm not sure you technically cleared it the first time, but it seems to have counted).
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2015-11-27 at 05:27 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #284

Region 42 for approval.

Nogr
    Region 42

Population: 582.000 Himinn, Hylli and Whansis

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Nogr (Meaning Abundance) is a warm region, strewn with deserts and vegetation that can handle the heat. Due to the mountainous areas near its eastern border the areas more inland are very dry, with forests only occurring at the few lakes and at the coastal deltas. A big terrain feature of Nogr is its coast. It is composed almost entirely of sheer cliffs, creating a series of waterfalls spanning many miles where the river deltas enter the sea. This phenomenon is thought to have been created by volcanic activity and earthquakes, raising the land far above the sea. These cliffs are also home to the Hylli people. Due to the slight elevation at the coast, multiple lakes have formed a few miles inland. It’s at these lakes that most Himinn and Whansis live.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Nogr’s coast is home to a subspecies of the serpentine folk that have adapted to life in the water, called the Hylli. Their physiology is quite similar to those of the Whansis, but they have thicker tails, thicker scales on their extremities and they have a greater lung capacity compared to both the Whansis and Prevaz. Finally, they possess a special eye membrane that allows them to see underwater. This membrane covers their eyes when they dive underwater, protecting it and giving them a clear vision. Above water, this membrane is not used. The Hylli can stay underwater for up to 60 minutes with a single breath of air. The Hylli live in homes carved into the cliff-faces, high enough to not get swallowed by the tide, but low enough to get to the water safely. They also buy Himinn and Whansis services by selling the gold found inside the cliffs.

The Himinn of Nogr are cousins of those in Blarhiminn, and have many villages lining the river delta. They trade with the Hylli for gold and services. They often work together with the Whansis that also inhabit the region. The same war that went on in Aneth and Blarhiminn 300 years ago, also raged here and was ended the same time the war in Aneth ended, the locals chosing not to follow the choices that would later fail with their eastern neighbours. The Hylli were also involved in this war, but choose the side of the Whansis, as they shared the same problems.

The Whansis of Nogr are fewer than those in Aneth and Blarhiminn, but lining the coast and lakes, they can still be found living in the forests. Due to the geography of Nogr, they tend to be found close to the mountains as well, which sparked the conflict in this area. Not for Bronze, not for Silver, but in this case, for Gold.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    Gold: Minor In Nogr, Gold can be found in decent quantities in the local mountains and in the cliff faces. The mines aren’t that developed yet, due to lower local demands. However, that might be changed when the demand for it rises.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    Due to their proximity to both Skianz and the Raphid Dynasty, the majority population follows the Doctrine of the Nine Candles. Due to the lack of suitable large ports, other religions didn’t really have the chance to take root in the nation. There are still some remnants though of the same sect that took hold in Aneth, that worships the serpentine earth gods. Doctrine of the Nine Candles (Majority), Earth Serpents (Pagan, Minor)

Region 41 is coming soon.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2015-11-28 at 03:55 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

15. - Top - End - #285

Regions 268 & 269 for approval!

--Stiljord--
    Reg: 269
    Pop: 696,000

Show
    Stiljord is a region split roughly in two: the large frozen tundra in the north, and the forested mountains in the south. Most of the population resides scattered in small villages and hamlets to the north, or the large city on the eastern border, Blekstad. Most stay away from the south; superstition drives folks away from the eerily quiet forests and hills.
    Drakk'tann: On the southern border of the region lies Drakk'tann, said to be the ancient tooth of a unimaginably large dragon, and the source of the Thaumium in the realm. Many tales are told of the great peak all around the realm, each village with their own spin on the origin of the mountain. The location is home to the largest concentration of the metal in the realm.

Show
    Life in Stiljord is cold, rough, and difficult. Many lack the amenities that city life tends to provide, Blekstad being the prime exception. The races are widely mixed, although northern races tend to be the most common (Noorden, Dwarves, and Humans). The primary unifying identity in the region is the fact that everyone follows the Pale Lady. This is becaues much of the population consists of pilgrims, wanting to live closer to the House.

Show
    (Great) Thaumium: a faintly luminescent, mirroring metal. Mined primarily in the south of the region, many speculate that it is actually the vast abundance of this metal that is the cause of the unnatural quiet of the area. Some speculate that Thaumium actually wards against spirits, or that they simply dislike its presence, thus avoiding it. Others say that it has anti-magical properties. Some preistesses of the Pale Lady adorn themselves in equipment made of Thaumium to test the strength of their connection to the Godess.

(Needed) Food: The lands of Stiljord lack the ability to support large localized populations. Even so, many of the smaller towns struggle to produce food each cycle to sustain themselves, as they have to rely primarily on hunting, fishing, and gathering from various tundra vegitation.

Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    The Pale Lady is the thread that ties everyone together in these lands. Everyone who lives here is a follower, at least to some degree, and much of the population reside in this miserable cold so that they may be closer to the center of the faith.

--Kulderust--
    Reg: 268
    Pop: 768,000

Show
    A large stretch of mountainous terrain covers the southern half of the realm. In the north stretch a large tundra and a permafrosted lake. The bulk of the population is focused in the south, where people in the mountains are able to survive within numerous cave systems. Water is constantly ran through the caves to provide heat to denizens.
    Deeprun: An underground lake that gets its water from the ancient precipitation that travels through the rocks above it. The lake is cut off from other sources of water, and this isolation has produced some unusual creatures that have adapted to life in the lake. Many locals are wary of the waters, saying that it is unnatural and those that linger are cursed, just as the wildlife that it sustains.

Show
    The most common peoples are Noorden and Dwarves. Otherwise there is a healthy minority of mixed races from all over. The population resides almost entirely in the southern mountain cities, where tunnel networks provide safe shelter from the inhospitable cold. Snow is harvested and brought into the tunnels, where it is ran over Agnite, a stone commonly found in the region. This process produces steam, which allows for the cities to survive.

Show
    (Great) Agite: a rough stone noteworthy of it's stark coloring: it has been seen to be deep orange or red usually with a hue of dark brown or black. When water is in contact with Agite, it somehow heats the water to boiling. Locals use this to create steam to help heat the city. It is not uncommon for folks wandering the realm to find deposits of Agite by first finding the steam clouds that they produce.

(Needed) Timber: while most make their homes up in the mountains and live semi-subterrainianly, there is a serious lack of wood in the area. This is needed as locals generally lack materials to construct furniture, buildings, or other goods. No one wants to sleep on a stone bed, after all.

Show
    Like the neighboring regions to the north and west, Kulderust's population is exclusively that of the Pale Lady. As far back as anyone can remember, it has always been like this. Priests and priestesses of the Lady also play an important role in society as teachers and educators.

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Changed my military actions Psilulz, decided to just continue crusading.
    Cool, good to know. Sorry for not posting something earlier; holidays have been hectic.
    Last edited by Psilulz; 2015-11-28 at 07:42 AM.
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my awesome alhoon avatar!

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Region 42 for approval.

Nogr
    Region 42

Population: 582.000 Himinn, Hylli and Whansis

Show
    Nogr (Meaning Abundance) is a warm region, strewn with deserts and vegetation that can handle the heat. Due to the mountainous areas near its eastern border the areas more inland are very dry, with forests only occurring at the few lakes and at the coastal deltas. A big terrain feature of Nogr is its coast. It is composed almost entirely of sheer cliffs, creating a series of waterfalls spanning many miles where the river deltas enter the sea. This phenomenon is thought to have been created by volcanic activity and earthquakes, raising the land far above the sea. These cliffs are also home to the Hylli people. Due to the slight elevation at the coast, multiple lakes have formed a few miles inland. It’s at these lakes that most Himinn and Whansis live.

Show
    Nogr’s coast is home to a subspecies of the serpentine folk that have adapted to life in the water, called the Hylli. Their physiology is quite similar to those of the Whansis, but they have thicker tails, thicker scales on their extremities and they have a greater lung capacity compared to both the Whansis and Prevaz. Finally, they possess a special eye membrane that allows them to see underwater. This membrane covers their eyes when they dive underwater, protecting it and giving them a clear vision. Above water, this membrane is not used. The Hylli can stay underwater for up to 60 minutes with a single breath of air. The Hylli live in homes carved into the cliff-faces, high enough to not get swallowed by the tide, but low enough to get to the water safely. They also buy Himinn and Whansis services by selling the gold found inside the cliffs.

The Himinn of Nogr are cousins of those in Blarhiminn, and have many villages lining the river delta. They trade with the Hylli for gold and services. They often work together with the Whansis that also inhabit the region. The same war that went on in Aneth and Blarhiminn 300 years ago, also raged here and was ended the same time the war in Aneth ended, the locals chosing not to follow the choices that would later fail with their eastern neighbours. The Hylli were also involved in this war, but choose the side of the Whansis, as they shared the same problems.

The Whansis of Nogr are fewer than those in Aneth and Blarhiminn, but lining the coast and lakes, they can still be found living in the forests. Due to the geography of Nogr, they tend to be found close to the mountains as well, which sparked the conflict in this area. Not for Bronze, not for Silver, but in this case, for Gold.

Show
    Gold: Minor In Nogr, Gold can be found in decent quantities in the local mountains and in the cliff faces. The mines aren’t that developed yet, due to lower local demands. However, that might be changed when the demand for it rises.

Show
    Due to their proximity to both Skianz and the Raphid Dynasty, the majority population follows the Doctrine of the Nine Candles. Due to the lack of suitable large ports, other religions didn’t really have the chance to take root in the nation. There are still some remnants though of the same sect that took hold in Aneth, that worships the serpentine earth gods. Doctrine of the Nine Candles (Majority), Earth Serpents (Pagan, Minor)

Region 41 is coming soon.
    Waylander, region approved

Quote Originally Posted by Psilulz View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Regions 268 & 269 for approval!

--Stiljord--
    Reg: 269
    Pop: 696,000

Show
    Stiljord is a region split roughly in two: the large frozen tundra in the north, and the forested mountains in the south. Most of the population resides scattered in small villages and hamlets to the north, or the large city on the eastern border, Blekstad. Most stay away from the south; superstition drives folks away from the eerily quiet forests and hills.
    Drakk'tann: On the southern border of the region lies Drakk'tann, said to be the ancient tooth of a unimaginably large dragon, and the source of the Thaumium in the realm. Many tales are told of the great peak all around the realm, each village with their own spin on the origin of the mountain. The location is home to the largest concentration of the metal in the realm.

Show
    Life in Stiljord is cold, rough, and difficult. Many lack the amenities that city life tends to provide, Blekstad being the prime exception. The races are widely mixed, although northern races tend to be the most common (Noorden, Dwarves, and Humans). The primary unifying identity in the region is the fact that everyone follows the Pale Lady. This is becaues much of the population consists of pilgrims, wanting to live closer to the House.

Show
    (Great) Thaumium: a faintly luminescent, mirroring metal. Mined primarily in the south of the region, many speculate that it is actually the vast abundance of this metal that is the cause of the unnatural quiet of the area. Some speculate that Thaumium actually wards against spirits, or that they simply dislike its presence, thus avoiding it. Others say that it has anti-magical properties. Some preistesses of the Pale Lady adorn themselves in equipment made of Thaumium to test the strength of their connection to the Godess.

(Needed) Food: The lands of Stiljord lack the ability to support large localized populations. Even so, many of the smaller towns struggle to produce food each cycle to sustain themselves, as they have to rely primarily on hunting, fishing, and gathering from various tundra vegitation.

Show
    The Pale Lady is the thread that ties everyone together in these lands. Everyone who lives here is a follower, at least to some degree, and much of the population reside in this miserable cold so that they may be closer to the center of the faith.

--Kulderust--
    Reg: 268
    Pop: 768,000

Show
    A large stretch of mountainous terrain covers the southern half of the realm. In the north stretch a large tundra and a permafrosted lake. The bulk of the population is focused in the south, where people in the mountains are able to survive within numerous cave systems. Water is constantly ran through the caves to provide heat to denizens.
    Deeprun: An underground lake that gets its water from the ancient precipitation that travels through the rocks above it. The lake is cut off from other sources of water, and this isolation has produced some unusual creatures that have adapted to life in the lake. Many locals are wary of the waters, saying that it is unnatural and those that linger are cursed, just as the wildlife that it sustains.

Show
    The most common peoples are Noorden and Dwarves. Otherwise there is a healthy minority of mixed races from all over. The population resides almost entirely in the southern mountain cities, where tunnel networks provide safe shelter from the inhospitable cold. Snow is harvested and brought into the tunnels, where it is ran over Agnite, a stone commonly found in the region. This process produces steam, which allows for the cities to survive.

Show
    (Great) Agite: a rough stone noteworthy of it's stark coloring: it has been seen to be deep orange or red usually with a hue of dark brown or black. When water is in contact with Agite, it somehow heats the water to boiling. Locals use this to create steam to help heat the city. It is not uncommon for folks wandering the realm to find deposits of Agite by first finding the steam clouds that they produce.

(Needed) Timber: while most make their homes up in the mountains and live semi-subterrainianly, there is a serious lack of wood in the area. This is needed as locals generally lack materials to construct furniture, buildings, or other goods. No one wants to sleep on a stone bed, after all.

Show
    Like the neighboring regions to the north and west, Kulderust's population is exclusively that of the Pale Lady. As far back as anyone can remember, it has always been like this. Priests and priestesses of the Lady also play an important role in society as teachers and educators.

Cool, good to know. Sorry for not posting something earlier; holidays have been hectic.
    Psilulz regions approved

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Round 4 ends in roughly 14 hours or so, by Gengy-estimation. This is an updated list from previously.

Haven't posted: (Red means close to NPC)
    • Berrium
    • Grand Principality of Anceris
    • Hess Tannan
    • Luska
    • Petravolan
    • The Brey-An

Still have actions 'unspent' or needs to roll (could be that rolls aren't linked):
    • BladeofObliviom
    • DurkBlanston
    • The Blue Guard
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Elemental, for instance, has been posting on Sunday morning for months, and has yet to miss a round I'm aware of, so I figure he knows what he's doing...
    You keep believing that Aed.

Edit: My attempts to colonise out from under Melrakki-ey are going well as always. I might have to invent some guns, put them on a boat and sail it over there to see if that works better.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2015-11-28 at 08:11 PM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    You keep believing that Aed.

Edit: My attempts to colonise out from under Melrakki-ey are going well as always. I might have to invent some guns, put them on a boat and sail it over there to see if that works better.
    I'm going to be making crossbows.

Because crossbows are best.

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I like this map very much. It is cute!
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

The existence of crossbows can probably be assumed at this stage, given that they're ancient weapons, although it might be worth checking, before you get too stuck into any technology plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I like this map very much. It is cute!
    Thank you!
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

The existence of crossbows can probably be assumed at this stage, given that they're ancient weapons, although it might be worth checking, before you get too stuck into any technology plans.
    And if crossbows are already a thing, you could also do something special with them. ie,

"Primus Crossbows" (able to fire multiple bolts before re-loading).
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Crossbowboat diplomacy doesn't have the same ring to it I'm afraid.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Aesthetically speaking, yes. However, if push comes to shove then James Bond Beats an Uruk-hai* any day.

*This is the first thing that comes to mind when crossbows are discussed. I don't know why.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2015-11-28 at 10:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Crossbowboat diplomacy doesn't have the same ring to it I'm afraid.
    Artillery size would be ballistae. How about Boatistae diploma... wow that doesn't even work as a word.

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    Aesthetically speaking, yes. However, if push comes to shove then James Bond Beats an Uruk-hai* any day.

*This is the first thing that comes to mind when crossbows are discussed. I don't know why.
    WHOA WHOA WHOA, I'm talking medeval here.

You want modern era/slightly futuristic, nothing beats a jetpack.

(also, Uruk-Hai can probably survive bullet wounds, but a tuxedo ain't surviving a sword)

And if crossbows are already a thing, you could also do something special with them. ie,

"Primus Crossbows" (able to fire multiple bolts before re-loading).
    I was actually gonna have them be a giant crossbow that fires bolts so hard it counts as a form of artillery.

... okay not really, I'm not that stupid. But yes. I'm planning for repeating crossbows to be a thing.

(as a side note, I'm not going to name everything I make after Primus )

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

WHOA WHOA WHOA, I'm talking medeval here.

You want modern era/slightly futuristic, nothing beats a jetpack.

(also, Uruk-Hai can probably survive bullet wounds, but a tuxedo ain't surviving a sword)
    I was speaking generally.

Also, James Bond is the center (or centre) of a franchise, he cannot die. The Uruk-hai is alone and a mook. He's pretty much doomed.

27. - Top - End - #297

Ballistaboat sounds better than crossbowboat. Arbalestboat? Gastraphretesboat? The possibilities are endless!

James Bond vs Uruk-hai: how many uruks/other orcs are we talking? Any wargs? The forces of shadow are most formidable in numbers. Mind you, this is Bond. He'd probably circumvent the problem by A. Sleeping with it, B. Special wristwatch, or C. A pithy one-liner.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Apropos of crossbows, while Aed is correct that they are ancient weapons the term "crossbow" is almost as useless for our purposes as "guns". As with any weapon with centuries of development, a proto-crossbow will bear as much similarity to a high medieval or renaissance crossbow as a musket does to an M4. I think something replicating the Chinese repeating crossbow would be a very appropriate tech.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

If there are no objections, I'm thinking of inventing the Greek Fire* equivalent for this universe as a military technology. I'm a bit uncertain as to how the new tech rules work, especially in relation to prerequisites and resource requirements. In this instance I'm particularly wary of ascribing a required resource given that Greek Fire is a mixture of unknown components and none of the theorised components is really something that would make sense as a region's primary export, save for perhaps sulphur, though that really only became especially useful with the advent of gunpowder and later the modern chemical industry so I'd be hesitant to place it as a resource either.

*It will naturally be a state secret and Aedilred will steal it.

Dragons!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

And the twin to Silverwood for approval.

Silverlake
    Region 16

Population: 696,000 Geshem

Show
    Silverlake is largely rolling hills and hardwood forests of walnut, beech, and pecan. Smaller stretches of cherry and apple dot the landscape. The . The climate has a long growing season followed by a dry, cool winter. It is well stocked with small game- rabbits, foxes, otters, grouse and pheasant. Numerous songbirds and hummingbirds compete with falcons and hawks. Domesticated chickens and goats are common. Trout spawn in the Lake of Argent in season. The area lacks larger predators such as wolf and bear, or larger herbivores like deer or bison.

The area is dominated by the massive freshwater Lake of Argent, with most settlements located on the shores, or on one of the lake's numerous islands. To the east and north, along the coast of the Great Ocean, stretch the Glittering Mountains, an ancient, weathered buttress between the land and the sea. Only a brief span of 20 miles or so at the very northern end of the region has navigable beaches.

The region's southern border is marked by the innumerable Silver Falls which create the Argent River. Fed from the highlands further south, this roaring barrier produces a constant fine mist that suffuses the southern forests. Meanwhile, the north-eastern border is defined by the Wandering Strait, a deep, narrow depression running from the sea to the Argent river. Some believe that at one time the ocean was higher, and the Wandering Strait was just another passage of the Labyrinth to the south.

Show
    Another group of Geshem make this area home. Most are quiet fisher-folk, navigating the Lake of Argent on small rafts. Others move amongst the forests, collecting nuts and berries. A small contingent pan for silver in the numerous streams cascading down the Glittering mountains, floating their bounty back to the capital on sturdy barges every fortnight. These Geshem enjoy the lake, but fear the ocean. It is terrifying to them in its vast size and power. They considered anyone who sailed upon it to be fools, until the Winter Fleet appeared from the roaring waves and sailed up the Argent River to lay siege to the capital.

On a large island in the Lake of Argent lies the nominal capital of Silverlake, Zilbertun. Here a large clan of Geshem smelt the silver into coins and bars which are used in currency and trade. The clan's leader was long regarded as the region's King for his control of the city and its wealth, and was indeed held in high esteem before the siege in 105. King Hersh was the elder of the two Geshem that lead the Wars of Defiance, but for his stature he was spared the crucible of conquest forced on his brother. He and his people were woefully unprepared for the Aeldir attack, as black clad giants assailed Zilbertun's picket wall and brought battle into the streets.

The chieftain king did not die in battle, spared on the order of Lord Winter that he might be made an example of. The citizens of Zilbertun were gathered in the main square before the smelting furnaces, and King Hersh was forced to kneel upon a makeshift platform before Lord Winter and his war leaders. To the chieftain king's credit, he refused Lord Winter's last offer of surrender. In recognition for his bravery, and the righteous nature of his cause, Lord Winter spared King Hersh the attentions of the Dullahan, instead granting him the honor of a swift death. Lord Winter unlimbered his black runesword Ewinrhew and took the chieftain king's head, before preserving it forever in molten silver for shipment to his gallery.

In the wake of their king's execution, the Geshem of Silverlake feared the worst was yet to come. Yet in contrast to the brutality of the killing there was no pillage, no chaotic rampage by the triumphant army. Rather, the dead were gathered in mournful silence, the Aeldir anointed with Boreal Nectar for return to Tir Amser, the Geshem interred in a long line of stone barrows along Lake Argent's northern coast. The treasury of the chieftain king was distributed amongst the citizens of Zilbertun to pay for the repairs necessary to their homes, and for their labor in constructing a simple stone tower that still dwarfed even the silverworks. This tower would become the home to the Winter Court magistrate, who would oversee the continued repair of the town and appoint a new mayor from those Geshem deemed most capable.

Show
    Silver: Poor The Geshem's method for gathering silver from the Glittering Mountains is slow and labor intensive, resulting in a modest amount of ore. Still, it is enough to provide coinage for the region and its neighbors, coinage that now bears the triple ravens of the Winter Court.

However, the natural methods of gathering silver are mirrored in the Geshem's other endeavors, and their unwillingness to take axe to their beloved forests has lead to a dearth of usable wood for their boats, barges, buildings, and fuel. This need is part of what spurred the chieftain king's brother to seek his fortune in the timber-rich west.

Show
    The Gesh of Silverlake practice a simple form of animism and ancestor spirit worship. This was, until recently, focused on the hero-spirits of Zilbertun's rulers, but has begun to shift in favor of the spirits of wood and water since the chieftain king's death and his brother's disgraceful retreat.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-11-29 at 06:41 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.