New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What to Take Next (CORE 3 BOOKS ONLY)

Current Build:
    Fighter 2/Cleric 1 (Magic and Destruction Domains)/Ranger 2/Horizon Walker 2 (Underground and Desert)
    Str: 18
    Con: 10
    Dex: 15
    Int: 12
    Cha: 14
    Wis: 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What to Take Next (CORE 3 BOOKS ONLY)

I say keep taking horizon walker to 6, and get the shifting terrain mastery for dimension door every 1d4 rounds.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3

What are your feats, and what's your character's schtick?

Even without knowing that, I'm guessing that the one level of cleric was just a dip, so I'm thinking since this is a core melee build that it's kinda hard to beat sticking with Horizon Walker to get the Planar terrain mastery and its sweet, sweet 1d4 Dimension Door.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    What are your feats, and what's your character's schtick?

Even without knowing that, I'm guessing that the one level of cleric was just a dip, so I'm thinking since this is a core melee build that it's kinda hard to beat sticking with Horizon Walker to get the Planar terrain mastery and its sweet, sweet 1d4 Dimension Door.
    With Wis9, unless there are some Wis-boosting items involved (admittedly cheap to get a +2) he's not going to be casting anything directly. The domains do give some nice powers though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

He can use cleric wands too. Just not cleric scrolls. Magic domain brings the wizard side. I suggest cure light wounds, invisibility and augury. For scrolls he can get every 1st level utility sor/wiz spell, since you have the int for that.

I don't understand the appeal of high level dimension door spamming except in a low wealth campaign. A wand can cover 95% of applications and lets him get 6 levels of other classes that don't have 5 weak levels. Hustling phantom steeds cover travel, or simply teleporting. But anyway he's already in for 2 levels, might as well go for 6 and save some gold.

Cain, what are your current feats? With your high strength and low con you might make a good reach tripper. Or a thrower transitioning into high level melee later on.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2015-11-05 at 10:47 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I say keep taking horizon walker to 6, and get the shifting terrain mastery for dimension door every 1d4 rounds.
    +1 to this. You might as well go all the way to 9, to get tremorsense and the resistances. After that... There's honestly not much that's worth jumping at. More Ranger, probably. Maybe Barbarian for some rage.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

How does one even become a cleric with a wisdom of less than 11 why not ranger 3 before going into horizon walker so you at least don't have to waste a feat on endurance. I would second getting the Dimension Door ability of Horizon Walker. Probably go for more fighter levels after that for weapon specialization or blackguard for a saves boost if you are evil. Your con is so low for a melee build though. What is your primary form of combat? ranged/melee?

Heck, take a level of sorcerer or assassin then go Dragon Disciple.
    Last edited by Yogibear41; 2015-11-05 at 11:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

You'll find lots of answers in this thread.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    He can use cleric wands too. Just not cleric scrolls. Magic domain brings the wizard side. I suggest cure light wounds, invisibility and augury. For scrolls he can get every 1st level utility sor/wiz spell, since you have the int for that.
    Scrolls require that you have the minimum ability score to use it that the spell in the scroll would normally demand. With Wis 9 he cannot use any cleric scrolls without UMD.
    Good news is he has access to all Wizard and Cleric spell trigger items. Wands ahoy!
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-11-05 at 12:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Ya more Horizon Walker, The next three levels won't be super strong, but nothing you could take is worth delaying Horizon Walker 6 for.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

May as well go HW 8 for
    • NI Dim Door
    • Immunity to alignment based spells and abilities (e.g. Blasphemy)
    • TremorSense

I wouldn't worry about the energy resistances — though you can grab them if you want with the final two levels.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook