New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How to Rend Fiends and Immolate People: A Guide to Sorcery

I must have missed something somewhere, because there's one thing that's still not clear to me and I'm hoping someone can answer this question:

How do I determine the Sorcery Points used for a Twinned Spell? The PHB says it's equal to the "Spell Level" but I'm not sure if that means the original spell level, or the level of the slot used when casting it. For example, if I Twin a Ray of Sickness spell (which is 1st level) and cast it using a 3rd level slot, does that require 1 Sorcery Point or 3 Sorcery Points?

This is really bugging me cuz it's got me wondering whether to take the Twin Spell option or not.

Many thanks.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

2. - Top - End - #152

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JakOfAllTirades View Post
    For example, if I Twin a Ray of Sickness spell (which is 1st level) and cast it using a 3rd level slot, does that require 1 Sorcery Point or 3 Sorcery Points?
    The latter. PHB 201: "When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting."
    Ur-member and coffee caterer of the fan club.

I wish people would stop using phrases such as "in my humble opinion", "just my two cents", and "we're out of coffee".

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are out drinking coffee and, like, whatever.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JakOfAllTirades View Post
    This is really bugging me cuz it's got me wondering whether to take the Twin Spell option or not.
    Yes.

I'm kind of joking but not really though clearly biased. It of course depends on what spells you plan to take. I've heard twinning is best for buffs but I honestly use it for a lot of attack or control spells and just feel a lot more effective with my action economy. It's a cheap way to make a cantrip into practically a first level spell. A twinned Firebolt is often (depending on context) better than Burning Hands or even Scorching Ray, especially if you're a draconic fire sorcerer. Twinned Dissonant Whispers can be nuts if you can get that spell from a dip. Twinned Tasha's is a lot of bang for the buck in terms of crowd control. When it's appropriate for the situation, you're basically getting a second spell fast and for cheap. It's like you cast two spells but you didn't use an extra action.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2016-12-01 at 08:43 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee_Dragon View Post
    The latter. PHB 201: "When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting."
    Okay, thanks for the reference. That makes sense, and I'll plan accordingly.

My next character is going to be a Sorcerer, definitely of the "blaster" variety due to his back-story, and I'm trying to decide whether to take Twin Spell at 3rd level or 10th level. It matters because I'll be playing him in Storm King's Thunder, which I'm told will end around 10th or 11th level.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Any plans to rate the races in Volo's? Really curious to see your thoughts on Tabaxi, and especially the new Aasimar.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Any plans to rate the races in Volo's? Really curious to see your thoughts on Tabaxi, and especially the new Aasimar.
    Sure. The moment I get Volo's Guide, I'll start rating them. Unfortunately, I am forbidden from making any purchases for myself until after Christmas, lest I face wifely wrath.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You mention that Thunderwave uses Draconic Rider. I am assuming you are referring to using a Lightning Dragon as your Draconic Bloodline. If I am wrong please correct me, but either way the spell generates thunder damage and there are no bloodlines that use that type. I would appreciate clarification because in general I have found your guide very useful, but I have found no support for Thunder Damage receiving any Elemental Affinity from any dragon type.
    Last edited by Felslayer; 2017-01-02 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Wrong title

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

The happiest moment was when I realized that tides of chaos could get you to reroll on the wild magic surge table

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

too bad i need 10 posts to post links

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Because i clicked on your i am the tactician

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quixim View Post
    I haven't seen this in a cursory google search, but since Delayed Blast Fireball has a casting time of 1 minute, and Extend spell will add an extra 10d6 damage for one spell point, which seems pretty handy to me?
    That is, indeed, a good use for it. Turn your Sorcerer into a demolition man. Really, how many structures can take 20d6 damage without collapsing?

The best use of extended spell I've ever seen is by coupling it with Aura of Vitality (Paladin 9 or Lore Bard 6). 40d6 of healing? For an average of 140 points? Yes please.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miffles View Post
    The happiest moment was when I realized that tides of chaos could get you to reroll on the wild magic surge table
    it really can't. tides of chaos works on one ability check, saving throw, or attack roll. rolling on the wild surge table doesn't really have an explicit name for the type of roll (so it's probably just a "wild surge table roll" or possibly just a "wild surge roll"), but it definitely 100% is not one of those three types of rolls, because those three types of rolls are always d20 and the wild surge table uses a d100.

of course, if the DM allows it, it works anyways, but that's because the DM can change anything.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    Sure. The moment I get Volo's Guide, I'll start rating them. Unfortunately, I am forbidden from making any purchases for myself until after Christmas, lest I face wifely wrath.
    Thank you for updating with the Volo's monster races! I am seriously considering playing a Yuan-ti Pureblood Draconic Sorcerer during the next AL season. I am currently debating metamagic choices.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hello, I'm new to posting here so I'll try not to sound foolish. I really like the guide, but I wonder if you took into account the fact that the Blink spell isn't a concentration spell. The 50% percent part does suck, but when you factor in that it can be used offensively as well as defensively for 1 casting that lasts 10 rounds without concentration, it seems like an even more useful spell than Mirror Image, and of course Mirror Image is another useful non concentration spell. And as a sorc, you can always create a 3rd level casting again with points.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulhedd View Post
    Hello, I'm new to posting here so I'll try not to sound foolish. I really like the guide, but I wonder if you took into account the fact that the Blink spell isn't a concentration spell. The 50% percent part does suck, but when you factor in that it can be used offensively as well as defensively for 1 casting that lasts 10 rounds without concentration, it seems like an even more useful spell than Mirror Image, and of course Mirror Image is another useful non concentration spell. And as a sorc, you can always create a 3rd level casting again with points.
    purple is situational. it can be good in the right situation, but otherwise is usually not that great. a 50% miss chance is certainly nice, but level 3 spells can be used for things like fireball, hypnotic pattern, counterspell, etc, and every slot you create with sorcerer points is less of you doing the one thing you have that makes sorcerer worth anything at all. creating spell slots is an act of desperation (or something you do at level 2 before you get metamagic as an option), not something you should plan on using regularly.

also not sure how you plan to use it offensively.

it isn't a bad spell or anything. it's just situational. if you're fighting a ton of powerful AoE nukes and few enemies that use attack rolls, i could see it being worth a pick, but it's got a lot of competition for those level 3 spell slots, and there's a lot of stuff that is just really good in a lot more situations.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Are you going to rate the UA Sorcerer Bloodlines?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaphaelDHD View Post
    Are you going to rate the UA Sorcerer Bloodlines?
    Maybe. I'm a bit busy in real life at the moment, but now that the torrent of new archetypes has slowed I'll get around to it.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

New to this whole post thing... But Tempestuous Magic under Storm Sorc might need a higher color value... that 10 feet of fly speed includes movement that does not incur opportunity attacks - so like a get out of jail free card in a pinch - does have the cost of a 1st+ level spell, but that can help in a pinch.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elabama View Post
    New to this whole post thing... But Tempestuous Magic under Storm Sorc might need a higher color value... that 10 feet of fly speed includes movement that does not incur opportunity attacks - so like a get out of jail free card in a pinch - does have the cost of a 1st+ level spell, but that can help in a pinch.
    I think it's very helpful in a pinch, but I also think it's only helpful in a pinch. That quick escape is very nice, and it means you don't necessarily have to grab Misty Step, but it lacks versatility. 10 feet of movement is just not that useful under most circumstances, with the notable exception being escaping imminent danger.

Since it's very useful in some common, but limited situations, black fits it best.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    I think it's very helpful in a pinch, but I also think it's only helpful in a pinch. That quick escape is very nice, and it means you don't necessarily have to grab Misty Step, but it lacks versatility. 10 feet of movement is just not that useful under most circumstances, with the notable exception being escaping imminent danger.

Since it's very useful in some common, but limited situations, black fits it best.
    It does let you use your bonus action to disengage and move a total of 40' (assuming your normal move is 30') each round you cast a spell. It also let you move 10' before the spell, so you don't have the disadvantage of casting in melee.

21. - Top - End - #171

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by SirGraystone View Post
    It does let you use your bonus action to disengage and move a total of 40' (assuming your normal move is 30') each round you cast a spell. It also let you move 10' before the spell, so you don't have the disadvantage of casting in melee.
    Casting in melee isn't a problem unless you're for some reason casting a ranged attack roll spell, which would be a generally silly thing to do when you likely have a lot of other spell options. It's a handy thing to have when you want to disengage, but I really think EvilAnagram's rating is right on the mark.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirGraystone View Post
    casting in melee has no disadvantages most of the time. maybe if you were about to cast firebolt, but if you were about to cast firebolt, odds are good you could afford to disengage anyways, making it nice... but not really that critical.

it isn't bad. it just isn't that great, either.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

This is awesome! You should add pyromancer from Khaladesh Plane Shift and races from the Plane Shift stuff.

24. - Top - End - #174

GnomeWizardGuy

I really dislike that this guide rates subtle spell as poor. Considering how unique, flexible and cheap it is to use as well as gamebreakingly strong for sneak mages I'm a bit taken aback that it's not rated higher.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheUser View Post
    I really dislike that this guide rates subtle spell as poor. Considering how unique, flexible and cheap it is to use as well as gamebreakingly strong for sneak mages I'm a bit taken aback that it's not rated higher.
    it isn't rated poor. black is good. it isn't as good as blue or (cyan?), but it is still good.

26. - Top - End - #176

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    it isn't rated poor. black is good. it isn't as good as blue or (cyan?), but it is still good.
    ehh
    careful spell is not compatible with web for instance it's actually only fully compatible with like...3 spells?

Hypnotic Pattern, Fear and Reverse Gravity.

If the saves occur on another turn it doesn't work (thanks Jeremy Crawford....) and only half effective with things like fireball/cone of cold. I don't see it being that great anymore.

EDIT: to the point where I see subtle as being vastly superior to careful
    Last edited by TheUser; 2017-07-21 at 02:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

ehh
    careful spell is not compatible with web for instance it's actually only fully compatible with like...3 spells?

Hypnotic Pattern, Fear and Reverse Gravity.

If the saves occur on another turn it doesn't work (thanks Jeremy Crawford....) and only half effective with things like fireball/cone of cold. I don't see it being that great anymore.

EDIT: to the point where I see subtle as being vastly superior to careful
    he can intend it all he wants. until he issues errata, it works on all saves, regardless of what turn it is.

now, i might give more weight to clarifications in some cases, but simply put, metamagic is the only thing sorcerers get. so in this case, crawford can take his intended rule and shove it where the sun don't shine. i'm not going to ruin something that is worth picking sometimes just because someone intended for sorcerers to be crap.

28. - Top - End - #178

GnomeWizardGuy

he can intend it all he wants. until he issues errata, it works on all saves, regardless of what turn it is.

now, i might give more weight to clarifications in some cases, but simply put, metamagic is the only thing sorcerers get. so in this case, crawford can take his intended rule and shove it where the sun don't shine. i'm not going to ruin something that is worth picking sometimes just because someone intended for sorcerers to be crap.
    Careful Spell:
    When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make
    a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures
    from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery
    point and choose a number of those creatures up to your
    Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen
    creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw[singular]
    against the spell.

It's not RAI, it's RAW. One saving throw and only when you cast the spell (e.g. the same turn).

If you're making a guide the assumption is that people are playing by the rules....
    Last edited by TheUser; 2017-07-22 at 06:08 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Careful Spell:
    When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make
    a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures
    from the spell's full force. To do 50, you spend 1 sorcery
    point and choose a number of those creatures up to your
    Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen
    creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw[singular]
    against the spell.

It's not RAI, it's RAW. One saving throw and only when you cast the spell (e.g. the same turn).

If you're making a guide the assumption is that people are playing by the rules....
    when you cast a spell, yes. but not when you cast a spell, they automatically pass their save. when you cast a spell, you choose creatures to protect.

then, when those creatures have to make a saving throw against the spell (which they only ever need to make one at a time), they automatically pass. no limitation to one saving throw. no limitation to on your turn. it isn't RAW, and if it's RAI then it's a steaming pile of turds, and as i said they can take their stupid RAI and shove it where the sun don't shine, because that's where it belongs.

30. - Top - End - #180

GnomeWizardGuy

when you cast a spell, yes. but not when you cast a spell, they automatically pass their save. when you cast a spell, you choose creatures to protect.

then, when those creatures have to make a saving throw against the spell (which they only ever need to make one at a time), they automatically pass. no limitation to one saving throw. no limitation to on your turn. it isn't RAW, and if it's RAI then it's a steaming pile of turds, and as i said they can take their stupid RAI and shove it where the sun don't shine, because that's where it belongs.
    I get that you're upset but it dictates you protect the creature when you cast the spell. Read the first sentence again.

Whether or not you or I like the ruling (I don't) is of no consequence; when you write a guide you stick to the rules, not what you want the rules to be. Heck I wrote an entirely new sorcerer guide because of how much errata and JC tweets changed / clarified. My first guide assumed it worked with Stinking Cloud, and Web rating it very highly. Since Evil Anagram can update his in realtime he should be honest with players instead of misleading them.

Does it make careful spell a steaming pile of crap? Yep. And if you go into standard play or AL the DM is forced to consult the rules they will make the same ruling. Guides are for standard play and the assumption you adhere to the rules.

You don't write guides based on homebrew right?