Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Re: Mythos Homebrew Discussion III: Grievous Imbalance Is A Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanix View Post
    My experience of 5e D&D is that we have to struggle to get casters into the group because everyone loves Battle Masters and Paladins. Out of a 20-person pool we use to form 5-men parties, people are fighting over our single underleveled wizard and our two clerics because this is Fifth Edition now, and Martials Are Cool.
    This deserves emphasis, I'm afraid. Comments like "... a Fighter's greatest achievement of learning to hit a bugbear slightly harder." give me the impression Xefas is still working off of a distinctly 3.5 esque mindset where caster supremacy is undeniable and pure martial classes are both underpowered and dull as dishwater. But that's not the case in 5e. Martial classes are powerful and versatile now. They can Do Things. And a Swordbearer... kind of can't, sadly.
    Last edited by Imrix.; 2017-08-31 at 07:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, so, Mechanix, I did read your whole post. I'm not going to respond to the whole thing, point by point, or anything, not because I don't want to, but just because I quite literally don't have the time to get everything done that I want to get done in the day. I feel bad about that, because you clearly put a lot of time into writing it. But I did read it.

I will say this, and hopefully it will suffice for now. Since finishing the Adversary, I've had a '2.0' revision of the 5e Mythos stuff in mind, and partially in writing, that I just haven't had time to get done. If it ever comes to fruition, I think it will address some of your concerns. Others, it may not, not because I think you're incorrect about anything, but because I think I have a different framing in mind for the kind of game I'd put these classes to use in.

Of additional note:

*Iím fully willing to test this out and see if Iím wrong, I love white room combat.
    This may actually be helpful to me in the making of the next revision, if you'd like to do that.

edit:
    And, like, one petty addition. "Myth" and "Mythos" I can get behind. But "Anthol"? I don't know where that's from. A friend dug around to find out and the only thing they found was an abreviation for "anthology," which comes from a French word for "collection of flowers." Where did you dig that up?
    It's meant as an abbreviated form of Anthology, which is a collection of stories (or poems, songs, etc).
    Last edited by Xefas; 2017-08-31 at 09:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    It's meant as an abbreviated form of Anthology, which is a collection of stories (or poems, songs, etc).
    As the friend in question who did the looking up, I should clarify. I assumed you meant anthol as an abbreviation of anthology, I was just sharing the etymology of the Greek anthologia, meaning a flower collection, from anthos (flower) and legein (to gather). This was transmitted through medieval French and eventually made its way to its modern English definition after a transitional period of meaning a collection of flower pressings.

I know this is a popular long time homebrew and I don't want to suggest messing too heavily with a successful formula, but if you are by any chance in the market for a replacement word I suggest "agonist". The modern word refers to one who engages in a struggle, the Greek root refers more directly to an athlete or champion, and it is also the root word of many derived terms for characters who hold narrative focus (protagonist, deuteragonist, antagonist, etc).

4. - Top - End - #544

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Alright, so, Mechanix, I did read your whole post. I'm not going to respond to the whole thing, point by point, or anything, not because I don't want to, but just because I quite literally don't have the time to get everything done that I want to get done in the day. I feel bad about that, because you clearly put a lot of time into writing it. But I did read it.

I will say this, and hopefully it will suffice for now. Since finishing the Adversary, I've had a '2.0' revision of the 5e Mythos stuff in mind, and partially in writing, that I just haven't had time to get done. If it ever comes to fruition, I think it will address some of your concerns. Others, it may not, not because I think you're incorrect about anything, but because I think I have a different framing in mind for the kind of game I'd put these classes to use in.
    Well, thanks for reading, anyway. Happy to hear about your 2.0 and I hope my comments can be at least a little bit helpful there.
    Of additional note:

This may actually be helpful to me in the making of the next revision, if you'd like to do that.
    Sure thing.

I'm aware, it's just a weird choice of term for a person, which doesn't really pan out etymologically.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

I think part of what is being missed/lost here is one of the core concepts of the Mythos system and mythology. The Titans, from whom the mythos classes are derived, are narrative concepts. The Monster - a concept of pure violence. The Sun - a concept of conquest and pride. And so on and so forth. Mortals who access some part of a Titan's power, whether by practice (class) or by bloodline (race feats), become a part of that narrative, contributing to the nature and power of the Titan.

Personally, I feel that the term Anthol has a good relation to the overall concept of the Mythos setting.
    My Homebrew (current):
    Mythos Class - Eoteras

Games I'm Running:
    No Longer in Kansas (3.5, Mythos): IC OOC
    Hell's Rebels (Pathfinder): IC OOC
    Survivng the Corruption (3.5): IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Still considering making that mentor-like class (think Gandalf, Donnie Darko's Frank, or Merlin), but somewhat at a loss for what kind of features to give it.

Wisdom-based features are pretty obviously a must, maybe with some secondary intelligence and charisma, but I'm having trouble differentiating it from the various commander Mythos classes already out there. I want this class to guide, not lead, if that makes sense.
    Gold: the color of lawful neutrality.

Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #547

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Still considering making that mentor-like class (think Gandalf, Donnie Darko's Frank, or Merlin), but somewhat at a loss for what kind of features to give it.

Wisdom-based features are pretty obviously a must, maybe with some secondary intelligence and charisma, but I'm having trouble differentiating it from the various commander Mythos classes already out there. I want this class to guide, not lead, if that makes sense.
    What system were you planning on using? I had some ideas concerning a Mythic Mentor a while ago, but that was for 3.t and Pathfinder.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    What system were you planning on using? I had some ideas concerning a Mythic Mentor a while ago, but that was for 3.t and Pathfinder.
    3.5, most likely. The 5e design is pretty neat, but I want it to work with the majority of the material that's already out here.

Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #549

Alright then, this might work. One of the core abilities was the use of Teamwork Feats. Usually, these types of feats require those who wish to use them to take them together; the Daskalos waived this requirement, allowing him/her to grant their allies the use of any teamwork feat they had without needing to have it themselves.

They also granted a scaling bonus to Aid Other actions. I think it was... Hey, I found it. Have a look.

Guiding Light: The Lodestar had no interest in achieving primacy over the other gods. His only concern was helping his brethren improve their mastery over their respective purviews; in truth, he was already far too old to be bothered with anything else. This propensity for assisting others manifests as a change in how your Aid Other actions work. Rather than simply adding +2 to an allies attack roll or skill check, you make the same roll using your own bonuses and/or penalties. If your roll would have succeeded, you add +1d4 bonus to all to your ally's attack or skill check for each tier of the Lodestar's Mythos that you have access to (+1d4 for Exceptional, +2d4 for Fantastic, etc); if your roll would have failed, then you simply add the normal +2. When improving an allies AC, add the normal +2, plus an additional +2 for each tier of the Lodestar's Mythos you have access to. Additionally, for every age category you are beyond your ally, you grant them an additional +1 bonus with Aid Other actions. It must be noted that this is consistent across all races. A young elf will benefit from an elderly human's wisdom; the real-world experience of the latter trumps the likely limited experience of the former, despite the fifty year difference between the two. This ability only uses age modifiers that would actually cause you to take penalties, such as those listed in the Player's Handbook, not other age modifiers entirely dependent upon the creature's race, such as draconic age categories.

Additionally, any Teamwork Feats you possess no longer require an ally to have them in order to reap their benefits. For example, if you possess the Back to Back feat, you and an adjacent ally benefit from the +2 bonus to AC against flanking opponents without your ally needing to possess the feat as well.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Ooooo, nice! You mind if I use these abilities, perhaps with some slight tweaking?

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #551

It's all yours.
    My Homebrew