New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Homebrew Discussion III: Grievous Imbalance Is A Feature

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Hmmm... Three ideas in the original (non-mythos) class I'm basing this on, actually.
    1.) Buffs
    2.) AoOs (to screen the rest of the party), note that this becomes entirely optional for the Phileotheysia, since I turned it into a mythos due to its semi-offensive nature.
    3.) Healbot

"Conflicting" might or might not apply. This is the guy who lays himself down for the party. The Sacrifice. In extreme cases (especially when deaths revolving door is well greased) The Martyr. I've extended that to "its a dirty job but someone has to do it" type of things such as healbotting. It has a Divine sort of feel to it I think by default, and that goes with healbot. I COULD drop that, but then I wouldn't know what to give them for basic features beyond Charisma to AC I don't think. And, again, Mythos needs a healbot, right? Nobody wants to play the healbot traditionally, and I think this is a good class to tag it onto where it DOESN'T end up being offensive necessarily, and thus mess up the flavor (as I see the healbot flavor).
    Spoiler: Other things I've done that go along with the general flavor I'm going for:
    Show

1. The aforementioned AoOs (Defensive Strike Mythos and its sequels), and a Disarm/Sunder option. IE the attacks that prostect your allies, rather than being directly offensive.
    2. A lot of the Excellencies are useful for not being the one to drag the party down.
      ---In a stealth campaign alongside rogues, illusion-loaded wizards, and a cloistered cleric with the trickery domain? There is an excellency (Quiet Mother Betrays Not Her Brood) that adds Hide and Move Silently to your skill list, grants you Darkstalker (at class level 3), and gives you extra skill points as if your Int was 2 points higher for your Phileotheysia levels. The sequel EEver-Silent Unseen Guardian Spirit), means you never need a separate hiding spot or Invisibility spell when staying close to the party.
      ---Need to physically keep up? Try Omega-Wolf Keeps the Pace excellency (Dash, Endurance, and bonuses to forced marches... including letting you Sacrifice to help other people keep up. Not enough? How about Wherever You Go, I Shall Not Fail To Follow (Exceptional Mythos) that lets you copy your allies movement modes at half their speed and, for flight, also reduced maneuverability.
      -Some miscellaneous "dirty job" type of excellencies.
      ---One that lets you "trap monkey".
      ---The one that makes you excellent at standing your watch when resting in dangerous locations (Dutiful Watchman Alertness). And its sequel(s) just make you even better at that.
      ---Alignment checking.
      ---Social skills such as speak language, gather information, etc. To smooth the way and avoid trouble. The players having to "do their homework" rather than just hack and slash can be a good thing, but spending the skill points is a "dirty job" (although to a certain extent all the characters need to have investment depending on how the GM is ruling diplomacy and maybe bluff work).
    I think I understand your intent with this class, as to fill in the various roles that other *players* don't necessarily want to play. I appreciate that sentiment, as it is one I often find myself filling when I'm a player (which is also why I enjoy DMing). I think making a defensive support character, whose purpose is to get into the thick of battle and shut down the opposition while inspiring and supporting their allies, is a great concept.

Were I to tackle that, using a lot of your existing framework, I would make the defensive strike into a core class feature, I think, and make the nature/benefit of that strike become something that is modified by your mythos and situations. Maybe rename it to a defensive reaction? Have the class feature be that you, a number of times per (day/encounter/other thing) equal to maybe your Charisma modifier x 1/4 class level, can declare yourself to have retroactively readied an action to respond to a situation that has just occurred.

The Mythos then would apply templates and situations/reactions to those that you can apply, such as your Defensive Strike. You can add in things like your Bardic Music ability, but as a reaction instead of a pro-active thing. This could turn into a really elegant class that could potentially have the answer to nearly everything, in the moment. Diplomancer situations could be that you had a secret about the person you are talking to in the back of your mind, or a clutch piece of information that affects the outcome of the interaction be that through Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate.

Healing could be done the same way, or added in as a separate Mythos chain that adds some healing utility to the class. Different, non-reaction Mythos could be used to add non-reaction utility.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

New Magic fiction got me thinking about my old Luminarch idea again. I may actually end up using alignment somehow, if only because it might go well with this new stuff about Avacyn.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulOak View Post
    I think I understand your intent with this class, as to fill in the various roles that other *players* don't necessarily want to play.
    Well, among other things.

The original seed of the idea was to create a character whose primary challenge in combat was simply to survive, but who was also effective in combat just by being there. A character for whom Total Defense would be as common an action as the stereo-typical fighter's full-attack. I've moved away from that into focusing on "Sacrifice" (both IC and on the meta-level of "dirty jobs"), but there you go.
    I appreciate that sentiment, as it is one I often find myself filling when I'm a player (which is also why I enjoy DMing). I think making a defensive support character, whose purpose is to get into the thick of battle and shut down the opposition while inspiring and supporting their allies, is a great concept.
    Glad to find another person who would want to play it. This may be less niche than I was lead to believe, although your later comments make me wonder.
    Were I to tackle that, using a lot of your existing framework, I would make the defensive strike into a core class feature, I think, and make the nature/benefit of that strike become something that is modified by your mythos and situations.
    Well, as I said, its semi-offensive nature means that it is something I want to keep strictly optional, although with what you say below this could cover the buffs as well.
    Maybe rename it to a defensive reaction? Have the class feature be that you, a number of times per (day/encounter/other thing)
    That doesn't jive with most mythos abilities, but I could perhaps be talked into it?
    equal to maybe your Charisma modifier x 1/4 class level, can declare yourself to have retroactively readied an action to respond to a situation that has just occurred.
    Hmmm.... so instead of swift actions they use readied actions?

At first I was going to say that that cuts into the "Sacrifice" theme, but then again there is no particular reason why that would HAVE to be true.,

I see about three potential issues with this idea:

It does mean that you spend a shorter period of time vulnerable (from the attacker's turn until your next turn rather than starting from your turn), unless I make it go longer than that which would be even more of a game-slower than the class already is (it tends to end up with a lot of options you have to sort through every turn to find the relevant ones).

The other thing is if you decide what form of protection and to whom you are providing it when the attack actually occurs, then it takes a lot of the tactics out of the class in that your choices become basically no-brainers usually, rather than trying to anticipate the flow of battle. You still need to decide if you want to use your effect, or save it for a threat between now and the start of your next turn, but that isn't nearly on the same level.

Thirdly, there was a very good reason why I gave them swift-action abilities, rather than standard. The class needs to be vulnerable for a lot of the "sacrifice" mechanics to mean anything. If you could stand 100 feet back and give away things like AC and saves to your allies, that would be pretty silly. Thus most of the abilities have fairly short ranges (Carry the Burden and the "for when the party gets split" type abilities being the major exceptions). This, in turn, requires a fairly mobile character who can move around the battlefield to get to where they anticipate being most needed. Light armor and Tumble help, but in order to keep up with a meleeist ally who is charging, you can't be using up standard or move actions to do thing.

This isn't to say that I'm rejecting the concept. You may have suggestions for how these things could be addressed, or I may have misunderstood what you are trying to describe.
    The Mythos then would apply templates and situations/reactions to those that you can apply, such as your Defensive Strike. You can add in things like your Bardic Music ability, but as a reaction instead of a pro-active thing. This could turn into a really elegant class that could potentially have the answer to nearly everything, in the moment. Diplomancer situations could be that you had a secret about the person you are talking to in the back of your mind, or a clutch piece of information that affects the outcome of the interaction be that through Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate.
    Sounds more like a chronomancer thing, and, as I said, either game-slowing or pretty mindless to play.
    Healing could be done the same way, or added in as a separate Mythos chain that adds some healing utility to the class. Different, non-reaction Mythos could be used to add non-reaction utility.
    My gut reaction is that the healing should remain out of combat, so as to keep the focus on prevention, rather than curative stuff, but you might have something there. The closest to effective in-combat healing they currently get is taking 10 to stabilize and Gift of Aegis to split damage taken by a target. That second is probably more relevant.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2016-03-11 at 03:13 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Bear in mind that I am only one person offering only one point of view.

The concept of the "reaction ability" feature was to use swift actions, and to keep your rules around not committing directly offensive actions.

My concept would make it so you have the ability to react to situations affecting your allies on an ad-hoc basis. To add to your planning/strategy preference, you could make it so that you have to declare the targets covered by your reactions before-hand, and that they would have to be within a certain range.

In any case, if my suggestions have offered nothing more than another perspective and a different angle from which to view your class, then my work has been a success. :)

In a similar, if very different thought.... has anyone ever created/considered creating a rageless Teramach?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

In a similar, if very different thought.... has anyone ever created/considered creating a rageless Teramach?
    Red Fel started a thread to that effect about 8 months ago. But, sadly, Mythos classes aren't popular and wide spread enough that you can just make optimization threads about them in the d20 forum (well, you can, they just won't bear fruit).

Personally, I don't see the appeal.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Red Fel started a thread to that effect about 8 months ago. But, sadly, Mythos classes aren't popular and wide spread enough that you can just make optimization threads about them in the d20 forum (well, you can, they just won't bear fruit).

Personally, I don't see the appeal.
    Funny that you invoke My Name, given that I was thinking of positing a question here, myself.

I was wondering if anybody had laid claim to the idea of a Mythos Monk. I had a few ideas on that point, but having no class-building experience to draw on, I was rather reluctant to start anything myself. And while I've seen a few classes that could do something along that line with unarmed combat (e.g. Bellator, Teramach) or the mystical flow of energy (e.g. Kathodos), I saw nothing quite where I saw a Mythos Monk going. I see something with various ways to train the body and spirit, with a distinctly wuxia feel to it, and I'm not sure that it's been quite captured yet.

If somebody was interested in the idea, I'd be glad to offer my suggestions to someone more able to build a class. Otherwise, I'm a bit reluctant to design something this big from scratch, but... I dunno. Kinda depends on what goes into it, I suppose.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Be careful when using... "that" name.

I once said it three times in front of a mirror and "he" appeared. We ended up knocking back a few beers and having a discussion on the necessity of holding dominion over lesser men.
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2016-03-11 at 10:42 PM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    I once said it three times in front of a mirror and "he" appeared. We ended up knocking back a few beers and having a discussion on the necessity of holding dominion over lesser men.
    I won't turn down a good conversation on totalitarianism.

Or a good microbrew.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I was wondering if anybody had laid claim to the idea of a Mythos Monk. I had a few ideas on that point, but having no class-building experience to draw on, I was rather reluctant to start anything myself. And while I've seen a few classes that could do something along that line with unarmed combat (e.g. Bellator, Teramach) or the mystical flow of energy (e.g. Kathodos), I saw nothing quite where I saw a Mythos Monk going. I see something with various ways to train the body and spirit, with a distinctly wuxia feel to it, and I'm not sure that it's been quite captured yet.
    I think the closest thing on the current roster would be a mid-level Epistemian, whose powers are derived from burgeoning, psyche-shattering enlightenment. They know kung fu, but Union's Mythos doesn't believe in Ex-only, if its banner is any indication.

But if you'd like to make a Wuxia Mythos, well I for one look forward to it! Sounds more like the kind of thing best handled with supplemental Mythos for pre-existing Mythos classes, but I'm not sure. .02$ and so on.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooPaladin View Post
    I think the closest thing on the current roster would be a mid-level Epistemian, whose powers are derived from burgeoning, psyche-shattering enlightenment. They know kung fu, but Union's Mythos doesn't believe in Ex-only, if its banner is any indication.

But if you'd like to make a Wuxia Mythos, well I for one look forward to it! Sounds more like the kind of thing best handled with supplemental Mythos for pre-existing Mythos classes, but I'm not sure. .02$ and so on.
    Well, it wasn't designed to be specifically wuxia - although making wuxia expansions for existing classes would probably be easier - so much as it was intended to invoke the same atmospheric style and concept.

The idea I had was basically personal refinement - refine the body, senses, spirit. Much like the Kathodos, I would have different Mythos tags (Body, Mind, Spirit) that would give progressive bonuses to different areas of character development. The guy who trains to have an indestructible gut, for example, versus the guy who can pick a fly out of the air with chopsticks, or the guy who can sense malice in the heart of his opponent. I would also have weapon groups available based on how you specialized your Mythos, because while I love a capable unarmed combatant, I'm not going to pretend that classic-style Monks got by on their fists and good looks alone.

I just have to figure out what I'd have to rip off adapt to get started.

I should probably look at the Epistemian first, though, to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes.
    Last edited by Red Fel; 2016-03-12 at 12:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I should probably look at the Epistemian first, though, to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes.
    I suppose I should save you some trouble? The Epistemian is one of those ideas he threw on this Mythos Classes scrapbook. It's nothing but a banner and some descriptive text, seventh down from the top.*

With the official position towards Mythos material re: 'toe-squishin' being complete acceptability, you're fine. Hell, there's a chance you'll inspire others to make some more material, which we could all use. The Mythos system both runs on and is made of inspiration, after all.

*Well, I do remember some ideas being thrown about Union (the Mythos in question) being the origin of the Lady of Pain. That was kind of neat.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooPaladin View Post
    I suppose I should save you some trouble? The Epistemian is one of those ideas he threw on this Mythos Classes scrapbook. It's nothing but a banner and some descriptive text, seventh down from the top.*

With the official position towards Mythos material re: 'toe-squishin' being complete acceptability, you're fine. Hell, there's a chance you'll inspire others to make some more material, which we could all use. The Mythos system both runs on and is made of inspiration, after all.

*Well, I do remember some ideas being thrown about Union (the Mythos in question) being the origin of the Lady of Pain. That was kind of neat.
    Ahh, I remember seeing this. It sounds like the Epistemian is basically the character who becomes aware of the rules (i.e. the narrative) and therefore how to exploit them. Which actually sounds super awesome, but not quite what I was thinking of pursuing.

Well, then, I suppose I can pursue this idea... I'll have to sleep on it...

Is there an official list of Titans, or is it just sort of evolving as things go? It's all a bit daunting, still.

Also, I was thinking of "Autogen" as the class name (i.e. self-creating). Is that a good name, do you think, or too plain?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

@Draco sorry haven't got back about the fluff. Totally ADOSed(attention deficit ooh shiney) that I have several days off I'll get that done. Also do you have any issues with the guardian being the Titan the martyr was born from?

@red fel there is no list of all Titans just some of them the idea is make the Titan that fits you class idea.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    @Draco sorry haven't got back about the fluff. Totally ADOSed(attention deficit ooh shiney) that I have several days off I'll get that done. Also do you have any issues with the guardian being the Titan the martyr was born from?
    I forget who The Guardian is? The Empyrean's (AKA Sol Invictus equivalent's) bodyguard?

I wasn't aware that Titans could be born from eachother, but it sounds right. I guess almost anything goes with Titans, right?

Just to be clear in light of my recent discussion with PeacefulOak: I still think a mergence with a Healing Titan (or lesser entity) is indicated, but I'll leave that up to you.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #285
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

The agios's Titan was the guardian and the end of his story is that of sacrifice protecting the first sentient beings from the ravages of the chaos.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    The agios's Titan was the guardian and the end of his story is that of sacrifice protecting the first sentient beings from the ravages of the chaos.
    Sounds good based on that.

Poke me if I forget to credit you for your work, okay?
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, Xefas, I'd post this in the Olethroflex thread but I don't want to get it locked, but I have a question:

Does Seal-Shattering End of Days Invocation provoke an Attack of Opportunity?

Not gonna lie, when I first thought about this, I was giggling like mad.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

18. - Top - End - #288

NecromancerGuy

I've got another few aditions to the Chrimatia, posting them here for the running PEACH, just figuring its peatter to get things smoothed out before the whole thing is posted.

First I now have Manifistations for Sign of Success:

Sign of Success
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any creature who possesses less money than you (spread across all their and your possessions) naturally has their attitude towards you begin one step closer to Helpful, and you gain an additional +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks to convince them to preform a specific course of action. Most Chrimatia with this Mythos also have their features subtly shift so that they look like a ‘successful’ individual according to their home society and personal outlook, which can include appearing more physically fit from a rugged lifestyle, putting on weight as if from years of decadence, or gaining features that would be recognized as ‘noble’ and such.

Advanced Manifestations
    Golden Ward

Against the attacks of beings who possess less money than you (identified as per the method above) you increase your natural amour by +2.

Gleaming Distraction
    At the cost of 1d6 GP per use, you may toss a handful of coins to distract creatures. To do this you target a 5ft space within 30ft you can see and that is not in mid air. All creatures within 30ft who could see that space or who pass a DC10 Listen check must take a will save. On a failed save they are Blinded for 1d4 rounds and must move by whatever means possible towards the space you targeted as they are distracted by the tossed coins and try to take them. Should more than once creature reach the targeted space there is a 50% chance they will attack and be aggressive towards any other creature who attempts to take the tossed coins.

Ignorance of the Impoverished
    Against beings who possess less money than you (identified as per the method above) you gain a +4 bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. Additionally against such being you do not take a penalty of Hide checks for moving over half speed and no not require cover or concealment to use the Hide skill.

And the Land-owning Mythos (Advanced Manifestationss not yet written), and the power trading Mythos which I feel could use some better wording if anyone has any recommendations under the 'power' heading. I based it on the Kathodos's Steam-and-Dust Showdown for internal consistency, pre-existing balancing and mechanics (even if shifted around somewhat), and being lazy.

Lord of the Land
    Spoiler
    Show
    You may pay 2000GP in order to gain a connection to an area of land measuring a complete circle with a one mile diameter as a Full Round action. Should this land be owned by an individual, organization, or government, the being with the greatest overall authority of this location may make a will save to prevent this. Should the being making the will save personally live within that location they gain a +4 bonus to the save. Should they have never been tot hat location they take a -2 penalty to the save. All land you personalty own is effected by this Mythos’s effects for free. Land you are connected to via this Mythos is known as claimed land.

When you are on claimed land you gain a +2 bonus on spot, Search, Spot, and, Listen checks. Additionally you can call to mind a list of all creatures and items worth over 1000GP within a specific 1-mile claimed area, and the direction to all listed things, and have an intuitive understanding of the area, meaning that you always know your relative position to the center of a patch of claimed land and are unable to become lost. You do not however know the distance to listed things, or any other details. Finally you are treated as the complete controller of all of your claimed land, and may change laws and act as you see fit (this does not however prevent people from disobeying laws and reacting oddly to your behavior).
    Basic Manifestations:
    Gap in the Market

When you have two or more regions of claimed land that are less than half a mile apart, determine the center of where these regions lie. The limit of the area of claimed land extend by 5ft per day towards this region, this is measured from the widest point of one patch of claimed land to the widest point of the nearest other, and continues inward so the whole area extends. For example three patches of land placed into the corners of a triangle would grow into a complete straight edged triangular shape.

Step 3: Profit
    Once per week the creature with the greatest total ranks of Profession per mile of claimed land, who has inhabited a part of claimed land for at least 48 hours makes a special Proffesion roll as a free action in which no actual work is done or time taken. You gain the gold the creature would have earned. One such roll is made per each individual mile of claimed land.

Universal Omnibroker
    Spoiler
    Show
    You gain the ability to trade in anything. You or and the the other creature (referred to as either the buyer or the seller as appropriate) may offer anything that they own (as defined by the GM, but generally determined by anything in whose existence that they are the ruling entity) in the exchange, mechanics that should cover most circumstances are below. The seller/buyer must make this trade willingly without magical compulsion (the creature does not however have to know they seriously did so, a trade made in jest is still a trade made). Once agreed upon the agreed trade immediately follows through. Selling something you gain via this Mythos is treated as trading it away. You may not trade this Mythos to others.

Spoiler
    Show

-Magical Items. When a magic item is traded all its magical properties cease to function for its prior owner (unless possession is given back to them), and merely carrying it voluntarily imposes a -1 penalty on all d20 rolls, and if it is a weapon or a suit of armor, they treat the item as if they were not proficient with it.

-Services Rendered. During the trade specify a particular course of action that the ‘seller’ to take, they are bound to perform that course of action. This Mythos enforces the spirit of the agreement, not the letter, so it is largely impossible to trick someone into agreeing to something they didn't intend to with clever wordplay. Once someone is bound to perform the specified duty, they will do so, to the best of their ability, without attempting to directly subvert their agreement, although they need not enjoy doing so.

-Power. The participants of the trade may stake some amount of their own power, to be given to the other. Examples of ‘Power’ that may be traded include Mythos Points, Mythos, Invocations, Soulmelds, Vestiges, Spells Known, Spells per day, Class Features, Ability Score points, individual +1s of saving throw bonuses, BAB, Feats, Ect. The being trading their power looses what they traded, while it is gain by the other individual who is treated as having whatever class features and knowledge needed to make those abilities function. For example were a Sorcerer to trade a 1st level spell per day, the new owner of that spell per day may use that spell per day as if they were a sorcerer (they may not however know any Sorcerer spells). Any ‘power’ the Chrimatia gains via this Mythos and sues personally instead of trading it onward to another being may only be used once and after which it is lost, unless they pay an amount of GP or Mythos Points (in any combination) equal to the number of HD of the source of the ‘Power’ at the time it was gained x10.

For non-physical item traded via this Mythos a token is created that represents the trade for as long as that item is retained, and is given to the new owner of the traded thing in question.

And a quick little excellency:
    The Finest Things in Life
    Spoiler
    Show
    The benefits offered by any masterwork item you use are improved by +1. Should the item have an effect applied that would replace the bonuses of a masterwork item while having the item itself continue being masterwork, +1 of the masterwork bonus it retained. Additionally any positive effects granted by any anything you eat or drink are improved by +1, and the effectiveness of any mundane services (e,g, servants, tailors, ) you hire/purchase are improved. Such improvements are represented by any skill checks that are required in the process gaining a +2 bonus and the time it would take is reduced by 25%.

Also, a brainwave I had for another mythos class whose idea I am just tossing out their for opinions sake (I will probably pick it up at some point is nobody uses it). The idea is a 'Mythic institution/Fortress/Genius Loci' sort of thing, possibly coming from the titan of duty or something? those of the class will start as paragons of their institution, who slowly merge with it and become a Genius Loci/embodiment of it. example characters wise, I'm thinking of Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean, the playable character from Dungeon Keeper, Rook from Demigod, and the like.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Gleaming distraction should still allow them to see the coins, the terrain between them and the coins, and others trying to grab the coins IMHO.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #290

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Gleaming distraction should still allow them to see the coins, the terrain between them and the coins, and others trying to grab the coins IMHO.
    Good point, I meant to word it so that they were treated as blinded, which was representing their single-minded seeking of the coins.

Later Edit:
    I just finished the Background on the 'Mythic Mothing' idea of mine. Dubbed the Tipoparchi, named from a combination of the Greek works for nothing and exists, creating a double meaning that will foreshadow a pair of Shintais
    Spoiler
    Show

The Titans were living stories, each defined itself by a legend of their own writing before being stuck into the cosmic foundation of existence. The Young One was not like this. It didn’t -couldn’t- define itself. In a fit of desperation one day, desperate to be something, tore itself open to pull something out. It failed. It kept going, tearing deeper and deeper inside until it ran out of more to tear free and so continued to wrench apart its hollowness thirsting for something to live by. One time when it again failed to pull something out, it did not fail. It found nothing. It was Nothing. The Nothing would have been born this instant if it existed.

In the primordial storm of chaos before law their was a space, more a precipice, where nothing happened. This void was the full stop at the end of the legend, the all consuming singularity that was ‘The end.’ that spread into one tale after another as more began and grew. In the end the final fate of the Young One who became Nothing was ever in question, was it consumed by the nothing within and undone?, or did it truly achene its one dream of becoming and mark its legend on the universe?

In mechanical terms the class will be on the passive side in the effects of its Mythos, and each will have an additional manifestation that may be taken at any point at the cost of taking on a limiting 'curse' of sorts, like a mini-Shintai (the idea behind these ideas is that nothing should be a passive thing generally, and each mythos represents giving something up).

Also I've wound up with yet another Mythos class idea, the 'Mythic Godslayer' of the titan of vengeance. In terms of example characters I'm thinking the Hunter from Bloodborne, Kratos form God of War, and Ghost Rider. Opinions?
    Last edited by ThreadNecro5; 2016-03-17 at 06:00 PM.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

I got the heads up for this a little while ago, and for some reason never posted it here.

Godbound (kickstarter here) is a d20 game with a similar kind of mythical Exaltedesque-inspired 'Reach Heaven Through Violence And Punch God In The Face' kinda theme as my Mythos stuff. Not quite the same, but similar.

The creator has made a 'beta' pdf of the rules freely available (link), without any images and missing some layout stuff, but with pretty much the entire ruleset if you want to check it out.

At first glance, it looks to me like it still doesn't have everything I would want in a "Mythos RPG" of its very own, but I feel like simply lacking all of (3.x) D&D's baggage would make it a lot easier to realize some of the classes I've been having trouble creating.

So, check it out. I'm interested to know what y'all think. I'm going to take a second, more in depth look over it soon, and see if my initial impressions of things I liked/disliked hold up.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like xefas's baby become a compleate setting of its own as for reviev looks good

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I got the heads up for this a little while ago, and for some reason never posted it here.

Godbound (kickstarter here) is a d20 game with a similar kind of mythical Exaltedesque-inspired 'Reach Heaven Through Violence And Punch God In The Face' kinda theme as my Mythos stuff. Not quite the same, but similar.

The creator has made a 'beta' pdf of the rules freely available (link), without any images and missing some layout stuff, but with pretty much the entire ruleset if you want to check it out.

At first glance, it looks to me like it still doesn't have everything I would want in a "Mythos RPG" of its very own, but I feel like simply lacking all of (3.x) D&D's baggage would make it a lot easier to realize some of the classes I've been having trouble creating.

So, check it out. I'm interested to know what y'all think. I'm going to take a second, more in depth look over it soon, and see if my initial impressions of things I liked/disliked hold up.
    It's a lot more focused on playing God of a Thing than Resonant with a Mythic Structure.

Spoiler: I got my fangasm all over the place. Oh dear.
    Show
    For the latter, you want Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, where I'm reasonably sure I could assign each Mythos class to the existing Miraculous Arcs without any real effort.

Any of Them: Generically, a rank or two of Knave of Hearts or Become Somebody might feel appropriate. Go for it.
    Anakitos: Ooh, funky. But they are pretty much just The Ace plus Creature of the Light.
    Bellator: The Ace, pretty much. Dash some Self-Made on there to taste.
    Jagannatha: Wounded Angel and either Called Away or A Keeper of Gardens, depending on whether you're focusing on "Prince of Hell" or "General of Demons".
    Kathodos: Spiritual (The Four Elements) at low levels, Primordial (The Four Elements) at high levels.
    Olethrofex: You're drawn a few directions with this one. I'd go with the safe bet and get Reality Syndrome, with your "cheat code" being killing. Add a sprinkle of Magical Hero based around some sort of necromancy skill and you're cooking with gas.
    Syntrofos: Accursed and Sentimental look really appropriate here. The whole "I are a weapon" is an Affliction.
    Teramach: Straight-up Indomitable based around Superior Rage-Filled Murder, Specialist based around Superior Rage-Filled Murder.

If I could remember where you have the banners for the other ones, I'd do those too.

I want to actually write up the Arc Abilities for the Teramach now. Especially the Specialist ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Since we are discussing alternative methods for playing Mythos, thoughts on learning Exalted 2e?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I wonder how big something has to be before it gets its own weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymme
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spwack View Post
    Since we are discussing alternative methods for playing Mythos, thoughts on learning Exalted 2e?
    No need to learn xefas basicly made much better system than exalted

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ok, a few things immediately stick out to me as excellent on a first skim. "When the Rules Don't Matter", "When Not to use Attribute Checks" (as well as Failed Checks), Fray Dice and Morale, to name a few. The first two and a bit are really important parts of every game, and I think these sections portray it quite well. I find games like Apocalypse World treat "failure", as more of "time for the DM to do something really cool", rather than "time for the players to do absolutely nothing" as DnD is wont to do.

Fray dice are just really clean and neat. Mythic characters, sorry, Godbound, are really dangerous to be around. I know that if my Teramach were to kill someone with Fray dice, they would just stare at the offending mortal until it had a heart attack. Speaking of Fray damage, a new Gift for the Alacrity/Sword Words:

QUANTUM EXECUTION CHARGE
    On your turn, you can choose to forgo your Fray dice and instead place a Charge on a target you can see. 5 turns after this, each Charge detonates dealing your normal Fray damage, even if you couldn't normally apply this damage. If you invest Effort [daily? not sure], the first Charge on each target adds your STR in damage. Any enemy with fewer or equal hit dice to your level also takes this damage straight.

Morale is just something that works. I'll be using it. For bonus points, a player can make an appropriate check to add whichever ability they would like to the Morale roll, so long as they have the means necessary and take an action or two. Mythic characters are scary.

The Words of Power translate nicely (ha, get it?) into Mythic powers. Any Mythos that says "You can now do this" will convert really smoothly. Mythos says "You can now do this, but only by spending this resource, or doing it once per day", will be smooth likewise. Mythos that give a straight bonus to something that is solely a 3.5e thingy? Not so much. Either ignore it, or work it out with the DM.

Finally, the inside-out AC is interesting (literally just add everything, less than 20 is a miss), and having every saving throw and ability check written directly in front of each player all the time would speed up play nicely. The different damage types... eh... my first thought would be printing out dice that have the conversions pre-done, but because you add your relevant modifier... hurrumph. My one real nitpick. It works. It's just messy.

Spoiler: Really actually finally:
    Show
    XEFAS CAN YOU DO A PLAYTEST OF THIS AND LET ME PLAY PLZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I wonder how big something has to be before it gets its own weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymme
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Where do you find the cross class mythos feats? I've seen people talk about them but cannot find them for the life of me.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    It's a lot more focused on playing God of a Thing than Resonant with a Mythic Structure.

Spoiler: I got my fangasm all over the place. Oh dear.
    Show
    For the latter, you want Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, where I'm reasonably sure I could assign each Mythos class to the existing Miraculous Arcs without any real effort.

Any of Them: Generically, a rank or two of Knave of Hearts or Become Somebody might feel appropriate. Go for it.
    Anakitos: Ooh, funky. But they are pretty much just The Ace plus Creature of the Light.
    Bellator: The Ace, pretty much. Dash some Self-Made on there to taste.
    Jagannatha: Wounded Angel and either Called Away or A Keeper of Gardens, depending on whether you're focusing on "Prince of Hell" or "General of Demons".
    Kathodos: Spiritual (The Four Elements) at low levels, Primordial (The Four Elements) at high levels.
    Olethrofex: You're drawn a few directions with this one. I'd go with the safe bet and get Reality Syndrome, with your "cheat code" being killing. Add a sprinkle of Magical Hero based around some sort of necromancy skill and you're cooking with gas.
    Syntrofos: Accursed and Sentimental look really appropriate here. The whole "I are a weapon" is an Affliction.
    Teramach: Straight-up Indomitable based around Superior Rage-Filled Murder, Specialist based around Superior Rage-Filled Murder.

If I could remember where you have the banners for the other ones, I'd do those too.

I want to actually write up the Arc Abilities for the Teramach now. Especially the Specialist ones.
    Banners.

That's cool. I've had Chuubo's on my radar since the kickstarter but haven't really gotten into it. Maybe I shall.

Quote Originally Posted by spwack View Post
    Spoiler: Really actually finally:
    Show
    XEFAS CAN YOU DO A PLAYTEST OF THIS AND LET ME PLAY PLZ
    Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoli View Post
    Where do you find the cross class mythos feats? I've seen people talk about them but cannot find them for the life of me.
    Legends say that they were so powerful that their creator sealed them behind a wall of text beyond which none dared venture.

29. - Top - End - #299

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoli View Post
    Go to the compendium, look at the bottom of the first post, and you should see a link marked 'Fluff on Titans'. Go to that page and the feats are in a spoiler box at the bottom of the first post.

Edit:
    Ha! Ninjaed by the brains of the operation themself.
    Last edited by ThreadNecro5; 2016-03-23 at 03:15 PM.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

So I decided to do the Teramach thing:

(Superior) Rage-Filled Murder
    0 - You get mad sometimes. Sometimes you lash out in anger. This is a thing you do.
    1 - You have a mean streak the size of Kentucky. Sometimes, you stare at people so hard they have heart attacks.
    2 - You don't have an anger management problem, your anger management problem has you. You can beat veteran warriors into the ground with your bare fists once you get going.
    3 - You have literally surpassed the Rage Limit - anyone else that tries to get angrier than you is going to blow a vein. You could probably handle a small brigade by yourself if you got going.
    4 - People tend to explode when you get your hands on them - the "danger zone" (as the radius of death around you is called) is approximately a mile or two.
    5 - Angry. Angry enough to reach down the throat of someone's corpse, strangle the fact that they're dead, and then strangle them. Angry.

OK, that's a good starting point. What does Indomitable look like for the Teramach?

Indomitable
    Your "Curse" is your boiling, never-ending anger. It seems to be working out pretty well for you.

Arc 0
    You have the inherent ability to strike Paralyzing Fear into the hearts of people.

Arc 1
    Keen (Sense) - That's right, any one sense gets the "make Superman look like he needs glasses" treatment.
    Rage-Filled Murder Bonus - You get (Superior) Rage-Filled Murder as a free Skill at your Arc rating.

Arc 2
    Inhuman Rage-Filled Murder - Mundane actions cannot oppose your ragemurder. You need a pretty serious Miracle to knock you out of the murderin' mood.
    Tribulation - You get to spread the boiling, never-ending anger around! Sharing is caring!
    Inconspicuous Form - You have some way of getting around in a form that isn't just a murder-blender. Like hell if you ever use it.

Arc 3
    Purification - You can be so angry that it unbreaks people. You can murder their death.

Arc 4
    Garden Perk - A world inside your soul is now yours for free!
    Oh, and Paralyzing Fear and Tribulation can now be used on a city-wide scale.

Arc 5
    Forge - You can take an object and give it a new destiny. Knowing you, it's probably going to be "killing that doofus over there", but this lets you to take a folding chair and use it to beat up God.

Now for a less straight-forward (but more hilarious) one:

Specialist

Arc 0
    Initiate of a Hidden World - Your "world" is the truth that people are meat, buildings are splinters, and that the world exists to be destroyed. At Arc 1, you can open the minds of others to this truth.
    Speciality - Shift one or two points into (Superior) Rage-Filled Murder, as well as another at Arc 2 and Arc 4, to a maximum of 5.

Arc 1
    Understanding - Use this to automatically know all the relevant stuff for how do I anger-kill. Weapon locations, fragile parts of the body, that kind of thing.
    Mind over Body - You are really, really tough, and have a nasty habit of growing more arms to murder more people with.
    Basic Moves - Define the kind of stuff that anyone that buys into your Hidden World can do, like smell fear or gib people like they were made of plasticine. You can teach this stuff to people - probably through face-punching.

Arc 2
    Plot Devices - You have secret murder moves; this makes damn well sure that you can kill stuff. As your Arc goes up, the number and variety of murder tricks you can pull off escalates.
    Activate - Use your secret murder moves. Use them hard.
    Implausible Skill - Let's you use (Superior) Rage-Filled Murder in ways orthogonal to actual, you know, murder. Like explaining to a small child that the reason why Santa didn't bring her presents is because Santa is made of meat. We're all made of meat.
    Counter - Oh, someone thinks they're clever? Use your secret murder moves to counter their silly trick, and then kill them.

Arc 3
    Epic Move - You can get a bonus on your rage-murder actions by describing how the thing you are trying to kill is hard to kill, so you have to kill it harder.
    Wondrous - Make someone or something important. Like the corpse of the person you just tore apart with your bare hands.

Arc 4
    Barrier Break - You make it so that working out an idea or emotion as guaranteed physical effects. So rage lets you solve all problems.
    Conceptual Skills - Your murder is now a Miracle.

Arc 5
    You get a stronger version of Activate that lets your Plot Devices do even more.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2016-03-23 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!