New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Homebrew Discussion III: Grievous Imbalance Is A Feature

Thought I would give some commentary on the Teramach in terms of one of the characters from my campaign (which I have now placed on indefinite hiatus due to extremely slow posting by players).

Okay, what you need to know about my campaign is "that the forces of Good" are SCARY. Fight them "clean"? They will kill you unless you surrender (no surprise there). Fight them "dirty"? They will take you alive and then force one of your allies who lawfully surrendered to torture you to death (or else share your fate at the hands of TWO MORE lawfully surrendered allies).

So when TwentyFold wanted to play a Lawful Good Teramach, I decided that his character would need a new Excellency to allow him to deal subdual damage, regardless of what his other Mythos and Excellencies said. Otherwise it would have been too easy an out from one of the central philosophical conflicts of the setting. I called it "Cruel Mercy" although TwentyFold apparently picked different names for it.

Here is his character sheet if anyone cares.
    Tzunzaku (Non-Raging)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakman217 View Post
    Your link goes to an "edit" not a "view"...
    EDIT: And you have fixed it now.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-12-12 at 07:15 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Epifovian and Mythic Clone have been added

http://mythos-compendium.wikia.com/w...mpendium_Wikia

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

So I stared the Mythic Bard a little while ago, in terms of exalted he's heavily inspired by the rahksha. Any way I can get it added to the WIP list?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-quot-(Mythos)
    Last edited by Rogthnor; 2015-12-14 at 10:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Rogthnor View Post
    So I stared the Mythic Bats a little while ago, in terms of exalted he's heavily inspired by the rahksha. Any way I can get it added to the WIP list?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-quot-(Mythos)
    I can put on the wiki if you want.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Jakman217 View Post
    I can put on the wiki if you want.
    I'd appreciate that. Thank you!

6. - Top - End - #66

Beholder

If you want to one up me and work on it there yourself, go ahead. It should be open to you.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Thanks. I won't be able to get to it until after finals, but I plan to start working on it again next week

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

So me and xefas were talking about how it would be nice to do the wiki thing but how the formatting would be a pain a few months ago. So I'm glad your interested in starting it. Ima try to put the Agios in but feel free to update formatting cause i don't know it very well.

Feel free to add any of my content.

Also I need some inspiration for fantastic Agios Mythos as is there are too many weapon focused ones and not enough generic. What level should a mount be?
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2015-12-14 at 06:19 PM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    What level should a mount be?
    Don't even recall what the Agios is supposed to be, so take it with a grain of salt when I note that a Druid can have a horse as their animal companion from first level, and a Paladin gets their special mount at 5th. You could use those as your reference points.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-12-14 at 11:09 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #70

MindFlayer

Agios is the Mythic Defender/Protector/Guardian take your pick but part of his stick is "Knight in Shining Armor" other part is tyrant that protects his property jealously but i think the latter one is mostly overlooked as the class sounds so goodie to shoes.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hey, I'm working on a Mythic Commoner class. It's pretty bare bones right now, but I'll take any criticism and advice offered.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post20196988

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

I've been having a little extra free time at night lately, so I'm doing a choose your own adventure thread. Exalted setting, no setting/rules knowledge needed. Because of Exalted's influence on Mythos classes, I figured some of you might be interested in participating.

Doing my Dresden Files one was hella fun. I considered starting it up again but I think the thread was auto-scrubbed due to age or something. I can't find it. Anyway... this'll be fun, too. Probably.

13. - Top - End - #73

MindFlayer

Started paying a tinker character so I'll be doing some more random work on the tech system and when I get everything nailed down ill update the Efev̱réti̱s with mechanics based on the new system. For everyone interested in looking at where I'm at/keeping an eye on how they shape up. Click here

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneShadow View Post
    Hey, I'm working on a Mythic Commoner class. It's pretty bare bones right now, but I'll take any criticism and advice offered.

Interesting concept, but I think calling it the Mythic Commoner is misleading.

Spoiler: Expansion on this explaination, cross-posted from the class's thread
    Show
    When I saw "mythic commoner" I was thinking of something somewhat paradoxical with the concept of "mythic"... a character somehow able to weather any storm, but at the same time locked into never strongly influencing events and DEFINITELY never taking center stage except in very specific "lower deck episode"/"lets see the drama of one of the people just trying to avoid being incidentally stepped on by Godzilla"* sorts of circumstances.

*I think the movie "Cloverfield" might have worked this way? Maybe also the more recent "War of the Worlds" movie? Not sure...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-12-16 at 11:10 PM.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #75

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneShadow View Post

I'm with DracoDei here. A mythic commoner isn't quite the right name. It would be like making a mythos class based on The Fool from the Mythos Lore, a character who never got anywhere. I think it would be more accurate to call it a mythic rogue, though that name is already taken.

How about mythic everyman? I can't really think of a better name of it but its would be based more around luck and a humble air rather than how super awesome you they are. More in line with you idea I believe. Calling it the Common Mythos sounds about right though.

16. - Top - End - #76

MindFlayer

Been working on my fantastic mythos for the agios as there seems to be too few options for things that have nothing to do with swinging a weapon. Bolded information is new or modified. Line through is deleted

Spoiler: Leadership mythos
    Show

Shining Shield Legionnaires
    Prerequisite: -

Standing avast the bastion word of the demon horde came catapulting down the causeway as the forward scout returned. Young Sigmund's face turned grim. "Why so glum?", the mountain of a man beside him inquired. Sigmund looked to Zio, "We stand no chance against the demons we have to few men." Turning with warmth in his smile Zio declared "But you have me their is no need to worry." Sigmund looked to the massive dragon man, "You are but one man you cannot possibly hold against their entire army." Zio bellowed out a mighty laugh, "Who ever said I was alone?" his tone shifted as he pointed at the horizon. A great peel of a horn broke the silence of the country side as glare caught a shield. Then an entire wall of gleaming knights clad it silver plates. Banners waving above denoting allegiance to Zio. "I am never alone." he replied looking down upon young Sigmund

The agios gains Leadership with no limit on cohorts. However, they take a -2 to leadership score for determining cohort level. They may not have a effective leadership socre less than 2 If the agios's effective leadership score for determining level is 2 or less they may not gain any more cohorts.

Advanced
    Defenders Boon: The agios grants each cohort access to either Ardent Shield Aegis or Adroit Blade Parry. The agios may not grant a mythos they do not know. The cohort does not actually know the mythos and must still take it to meet any requirements.
    Guardsman's First Lesson: The agios grants each cohort access to the constant guardian and dutiful guardian feats. The feats are bonus feats that are only available for use they do not actually have these feats unless they purchased them with their own levels or through their own class features.
    Teaching The Masses: The agios grants each cohort access to Golden Rule Reciprocation. The agios must have Golden Rule Reciprocation. The cohort does not know the mythos and must still take it to gain anything that requires the mythos.
    "Peel of the Guardian": The agios gains the ability to call any number of followers and cohorts to him, regardless of distance. Calling them takes 1 minute and they appear out of line of sight of the agios, no closer than 1 mile away. Upon completion the determined cohorts and followers are teleported to the nearest location in a direction the agios specifies, in formation fully equipped. Specified cohorts and followers may deny the call, but the agios instantly knows if they do. This ability may only be used once per month initially. When the agios gains access to Legendary Mythos this becomes usable once per month. When the agios gains access to Exalted Mythos they may use it once per day.

Spoiler: New Fantastic Mythos
    Show

Still working on it ill remove this line when done

Steadfast Fortification
    Prerequisite: -

The agios can as a standard action create a Aura of Impairment 30ft. Enemies cannot magically enter the Aura of Impairment, and all attempts to do so end with the enemy landing in the nearest legal space between them and their target space.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hey!

So does anyone watch One Punch Man here? Particularly looking to see if Xefas jumped on that bandwagon yet.

You know how a big thing with the Bellator class was difficulty adapting it to the higher tiers of powers?

Essentially, it was hard to imagine what an "Exalted" Bellator meant because the idea of "Conflict" was just harder to grasp. Things like Anger or the Elements or Perfection lend themselves easily to grand powerful abilities with flavor attached. For a while the Bellator didn't even have a Shintai ability. And even the one it has now, while very flavorful, is hardly a match for the other Shintai abilities that exist. Most importantly, the flavor of the Shintai mentions that it is tainted - not really a pure spirit of Iron, but one that is tainted with too much blood. That's great flavor but it falls short of a "pure" Shintai that encapsulates the meaning of being a "Bellator".

Trying to extend Conflict into the higher levels ran into problems - it either ran too close to Teramach (being overall violence and anger) or ran too mundane (being the Mythic Fighter ultimately limited it in some way). After all, what does it mean to be the narrative equivalent of all Conflict, everywhere? How does that lend to interesting abilities that can affect the world as a whole? Even the Random Mythos document honestly does not have a lot in terms of "unique" takes on this idea. There's only one working Exalted Mythos (based off of Unlimited Blade Works from Archer in the Fate series). There are some Legendary Mythos, but they are just Fighting Style Plus (improvements on previous fighting styles). None of this is really breaking new ground here or introducing ways where Conflict can change the landscape.

Solution: One Punch Man.

Now if you have not watched the anime, I won't spoil anything here. But the protagonist has the remarkable ability to defeat anything in a single punch. And he despises it - he hates how powerful he is.

In fact, he doesn't really want to save the world (he even comments how he has had negligible impact on the world as a whole, and has not changed anything for the better). More than anything, he wants someone to represent an actual challenge to him. He craves the type of fight where he can go all out and just barely win by the breadth of his hair (incidentally, he has none). He spent years training to be strongest, but now he regrets how strong he has gotten. Nothing challenges him anymore, and he feels as if his emotions are all draining away. Anger, happiness, terror, elation - he starting to lose access to those feelings.

In the first episode (minor spoilers), he has a dream sequence where 70% of the world population is destroyed by terrible invaders. That's a scary amount of people dead. You would have to wipe all of the populations of the top 25 countries to get that death toll.

It was the best possible dream for the our protagonist because it meant he finally had something worth fighting against. Sure he wasn't exactly happy that so many people died, but he was very happy to finally meet opponents that he could be challenged by. Because he was getting bored.

Wouldn't that be the best exemplification of Conflict? Not someone who ever wants to stop fighting. Not someone who wants to fight for something. But someone who just wants to fight....for the sake of feeling that rush. They don't even want to win easily - because if they do win too easily, it wasn't a real conflict at all. Therefore, I think it would be possible to use One Punch Man as a sort of inspiration for a Legendary Shintai ability for the Bellator.

Not something that is tainted by blood (the protagonist kills things, but he finds no inherent joy out of it, and shows mercy when needed). But a Shintai that forces someone to always look for the greatest challenge - always looking for the next fight. Always looking to perpetuate Conflict on a grand scale.

Maybe they attract enemies of a higher CR, as the Mythos of the Bellator itself demands tougher and tougher enemies to overcome. Or maybe it drains the Bellator of all emotions and personality outside of battle, so that the Bellator only really feels alive when they are fighting with every fiber of their soul. Something to that effect?

~~

What do you guys think? And apologies if I haven't explained One Punch Man thoroughly enough - it really is something you have to see for yourself.
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2015-12-20 at 11:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ding ding ding! Have you discovered the Tiger-General Sovereign by 7th son of sons? It's on the compendium page, under Bellator additions. In particular, the final advanced manifestation of "Flowering Ubiquitous Body-of-Conflict Edification", an Immemorial Mythos, is "Insurmountable One-With-The-Eternal Eclipsement of Existence", and it might be what you are looking for. But read the whole thing. It is a nice piece Mythos. Someone should light the Xefas-signal, see what his opinion of it is, but I really like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I wonder how big something has to be before it gets its own weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymme
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    What do you guys think?.
    You're on to something. One thing I like about every Shintai is how crazy gamechanging they are, and this... this is gamechanging.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Could be good?
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #81

Chimera

So, um... what IS a shintai? I keep seeing them referenced and for people asking the creator to make one.
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Spoiler: Internets
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Defiantnight View Post
    So, um... what IS a shintai? I keep seeing them referenced and for people asking the creator to make one.
    Game-changing Mythos. Usually have an extraordinary benefit, matched by an extraordinary downside, both linking to the core concepts the class conveys. My favorite is the Teramachs 'Untamed Apocalypse Shintai'. When you kill something, you gain Regeneration/- for 1 turn, rendering you immune to lethal damage, but the only actions you can take must be related to murder and destruction. It's that limitation that makes it a Shintai.
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

23. - Top - End - #83

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by spwack View Post
    Game-changing Mythos. Usually have an extraordinary benefit, matched by an extraordinary downside, both linking to the core concepts the class conveys. My favorite is the Teramachs 'Untamed Apocalypse Shintai'. When you kill something, you gain Regeneration/- for 1 turn, rendering you immune to lethal damage, but the only actions you can take must be related to murder and destruction. It's that limitation that makes it a Shintai.
    Ah, that makes more sense now. :smallgrin:
    Thank you for the quick response!

I'm trying to get a DM for a (probably evil-aligned) Mythos game, and I've never played or seen played a Mythos class because they're so world-wrecking. Any tips, either on the proper way to chant for Summon DM or for using Mythos classes in general?
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Defiantnight View Post
    Ah, that makes more sense now. :smallgrin:
    Thank you for the quick response!

I'm trying to get a DM for a (probably evil-aligned) Mythos game, and I've never played or seen played a Mythos class because they're so world-wrecking. Any tips, either on the proper way to chant for Summon DM or for using Mythos classes in general?
    Tell me when you find one. Also, have you tried O-negative blood sacrifices? Worth a shot.

25. - Top - End - #85

MindFlayer

I can DM a game, I run off roll20. The fair warning is I'm almost 100% off the cuff so don't expect anything pre-planed. I will have a few major events that happen in the background if you don't purse them. But my general DM style is welcome to the world what are you doing. Generic explanation ask for clarification. Open Sat, Mon, Wed, Fri.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2015-12-21 at 10:07 AM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

GIB GIB GIB. How many slots do you have open? A friend and I tried to join a game as Mythic characters, but that seems to have flopped. We have a Teramach and a Jagannatha both at level 11, but any level is fine.

27. - Top - End - #87

Chimera

Sent you a PM about the game, Lanth.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, we should probably move on
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2015-12-21 at 01:10 PM.

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    -Snip-
    If anyone's read the marvelous web serial Worm, the whole One Punch Man idea gives me a thought

Spoiler: MASSIVE Worm Spoilers
    Show
    "You needed a worthy opponent." The idea is like the same thing as Eidolon's inadvertent creation of the Endbringers. He created massive, city-breaking kaiju to challenge his massive powers.
    Last edited by pieman2945; 2015-12-21 at 05:12 PM.
    Player Registry and games Here

29. - Top - End - #89

MindFlayer

Nor worms for me.

So one person brought up a couple of classes that seem to lend themselves to Mythos classes not made yet. One that was brought to my attention kinda fits with the Archikos but is basically Elsa from frozen as a 12 lvl class. But i could see equal value in making a separate "Ice Witch" class for it having equal merit. What do you guys think?

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

30. - Top - End - #90

I can't say that 'Ice Witch" feels like it is capable of supporting a full mythos class. 'Witch' might, but 'I wanna play Elsa using the mythos system*' sounds like either a supplemental mythos like the races or templates. Can you even come up with 7 other characters that count as an 'Ice Witch'? Sure, there is whats-her-name from The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, but thats just two characters. I guess you could throw in the Unseelie Queens from the Dresden Files, but 'Ice Witch' still feels too narrow.

Maybe put together some mythos for the Kathados? The Kathados already can do ice manipulation, so the main thing that Elsa did that I don't think the Kathados could do yet would be dressmaking, weather manipulation, and building that castle.

*The desire to play Elsa in DND is pretty well served by the Frostwind Virago monster class.
    Last edited by Vauron; 2015-12-22 at 03:51 PM.