1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Homebrew Discussion III: Grievous Imbalance Is A Feature

I think this is relevant to the current topic of Mythic Hoarder
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    That would be terrifying. Also I strongly agree that Fate Stay Gilgamesh embodies greed, he also embodies royalty, king of kings.

What would be defined as the bases for magic, I have; Air, Water, Earth, Fire, Cold, Acid, Electricity, Sound, force, charm, Compulsion, Foresight, far-sight, Identification, Summoning, Teleportation, Creation, Destruction, Shaping, Reconstruction, Enhancing, Animation, Reanimation, Healing, Repairing, necrotic infusion(inflict spells), Restoration(non +/- energy based), Figment, Phantasm, Emotion, Protection, Purging(dispel), Calling, Shadow, glamer, Pattern, Polymorph.

Right now for Magos I'm thinking Van Hohenheim(FMA), Xerath(LOL), Aegwynn(Warcraft), Doctor Strange(Marvel), Caster(Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works), Nethys(Pathfinder God of Magic), still working on the roster.
    Very modern. No Circe or Merlin; no book based characters either.

I wouldn't make a mythic wizard using the spell system to be honest, that defeats the point of making a mythos class. I'd probably try to create at will/limited abilties that emulated the feeling of fictional magic without using spells.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooPaladin View Post
    Well, to be fair, the Moon as described is the Moon. A Somnari is merely an Anthol of the Moon's Mythos. As an adult, fully-matured Titan, the Moon will have attained Sempiternal Mythos, and is thus at minimum almost level 30. A Titan is a microcosm, and therefore need not expend wealth to innovate Mythos; one can assume she has every Mythos that a Somnari can qualify for. The difference is a matter of raw scope.

I've actually thought about this before. Still have notes for a Lunar Mythos of a different sort, right here. Not very good, but eh, whatever. The big thing about Somnari is that they're sold as dreamers, but all we got was sleep. I actually think I remember coming up with a neat quote to help refocus it. Something like...

The Moon does not cast illusions. She is illusion. But you can't look away: what right have you, when lies tell truth?
    I'm trying to get an idea for what an Anthol for the Moon should even be. If the Sun embodies Narrative-Ending-Perfection, a literal Mary Sue character, than what does the Moon represent?

Beyond the idea of sleeping and dreaming, I'm trying to brainstorm what an Anthol would even be capable of doing. Most of the stories and fluff surrounding the Moon emphasize her cleverness. The quote I like best about the moon is this one:

- a challenge delegated to the one among the Lawgivers that they feared most, not their most powerful champion, in the form of the Sun, but to the one whose truthless nature allowed her to darken the Sun's unstoppable light, to melt his unbreakable heart, and to turn aside his unimpeachable valor. The Moon was never the smartest god, but she approached her problems from angles that greater minds had never even considered, she was not the strongest, but her victory conditions rarely required her to be, and rarely aligned with her opponent's.
    I know that obviously allows for Illusions (and the whole Sleeping aspect is pretty nice too). But the Moon isn't the smartest (or the most creative, which might be Design or something). The Moon is....the trickiest? What other aspects might fall under "Trickster" aside from Illusions?

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    I'm trying to get an idea for what an Anthol for the Moon should even be. If the Sun embodies Narrative-Ending-Perfection, a literal Mary Sue character, than what does the Moon represent?

Beyond the idea of sleeping and dreaming, I'm trying to brainstorm what an Anthol would even be capable of doing. Most of the stories and fluff surrounding the Moon emphasize her cleverness. The quote I like best about the moon is this one:

I know that obviously allows for Illusions (and the whole Sleeping aspect is pretty nice too). But the Moon isn't the smartest (or the most creative, which might be Design or something). The Moon is....the trickiest? What other aspects might fall under "Trickster" aside from Illusions?
    If the Sun is the Protagonist, then the Moon is that weird koan-spouting monk who deliberately twists definitions just to make a point.

A mythos associated with the Moon might give benefits for abusing Exact Words, or for glibly lying through your teeth. No benefits that might lend themselves toward actually succeeding, but lots that prevent failure. She doesn't have to make you lose, only ensure that you don't win.

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    She doesn't have to make you lose, only ensure that you don't win.
    This. Both of the moon vs sun challenges were won/forced to a draw by abusing the rules of the game. Fights against a moon Anthol should be decided before they start, frustrating, and/or inconclusive. Or the Anthol just gets what they want without needing to win. Changing, twisting, and abusing the rules of the game is a given.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    This. Both of the moon vs sun challenges were won/forced to a draw by abusing the rules of the game. Fights against a moon Anthol should be decided before they start, frustrating, and/or inconclusive. Or the Anthol just gets what they want without needing to win. Changing, twisting, and abusing the rules of the game is a given.
    "Talking with Rin is like playing chess with a supercomputer who does seemingly random moves as if to mock everything you know about chess. It's like that, but with human interaction. And even if I win, it feels like losing."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anthols don't just do things, they become those things. A Somnari, therefore, does not merely become able to inflict and manipulate illusions, but actually cedes portions of her literally reality, and in turn projects dream-like unbeing into the world around her. Think Lewis Caroll's Red King, who dreams Wonderland into being. Think Azathoth, Lovecraft's Blind Idiot God that must never be allowed to wake. Think Inception or Total Recall, where the line between fantasy and reality is not just blurry, but intentionally impossible to determine.

There was a thing Xefas said, during the early discussion between him and Primal. Something to the effect of "if you looked at the Moon with a True Seeing effect going, I don't think you'd see anything at all". That's what I based my idea on. She's not only the trickiest - she is a literal walking, talking trick upon your every sense and perspective, both real and hypothetical. Her words are no more manipulations than statements of the obvious. She really is only as cruel as you would be to yourself. She really is only as kind as you would be to your worst enemy.

I don't see the Sun as Narrative-Shattering perfection. Perfection is the Empyrean's job description. The Sun's nature is one of never backing down, never letting oneself be bested or broken. Never allowing 'you' to be redefined, corrupted, or otherwise be made less real or meaningful. That's why I see the Moon as being less real, less solid and pure, but somehow no less true. Like the silvery sea she turns, carelessly and yet like clockwork, she doesn't fight - not because she has a brilliant plan, but because she honestly has no ego to defend. No purity to question. No true self to unmake. She just... is? I think?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

So I remade my thread for my class to make it easier to access for people. It should be relatively clean.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post20393871

9. - Top - End - #219

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    I think this is relevant to the current topic of Mythic Hoarder
    Indeed it is. thank you for posting this, I can use some of it as the opening quote for the class. Also the guy may have found a place on the banner.

in other news of the class, I have put the 'GP=EXP' class feature into working order, just need advice on weather the GP cost for the buffs are right. for reference the class has wizard BAB, all bad saves, and is only proficient in light armour and simple weapons.

Money is Power
    Spoiler
    Show
    From 1st level a Chrimatia ceases to gain experience points and instead whenever they would they instead gain an equal quantity of GP. Similarly when they would lose Experience points they instead loose GP. Functionally for all purposes the Chrimatia uses their total GP as their Experience points. Additionally a Chrimatia gains a natural amour bonus to AC equal to their Charisma modifier. Should the character gain a level of Chrimatia, their current total of experience points are immediately converted into GP.

At 1st level a Chrimatia may use gold to increase the BAB, AC, bonus on initiative rolls, and saving throw bonuses. For saving throws and BAB, it costs 500 GP per +1 until the bonus equals half your Chrimatia level, after which point it costs 1000GP per +1. Exceeding your Chrimatia level costs 2000GP per +1. Increasing the bonus on initiative rolls and raising AC costs 1000GP per +1 until the total raises equal your level, after which it costs 2500GP per +1.
    At 3rd level a Chrimatia may ‘invest’ their GP into providing a permanent untyped bonus to their Ability Scores. For an Ability Score that is lower than their Chrimatia level it costs 1000GP per point. To increase a score so that it is beyond double your Chrimatia level it costs 3000GP per point, until you have done so a number of times equal to your level, at which point the cost increases to 6000 per point. When increasing Ability Scores with this class feature do not take temporary changes such as ability damage/drain, or temporary spells, into account.

At 5th level a Chrimatia may turn any item they own into a masterwork version of itself for half that items cost. Additionally they may then enchant their equipment as if they had the Craft Magic Arms and Armour feat, and they may craft magic rings, staffs, and Wondrous items as if they met all the prerequisites to do so. Items enchanted/created this way do not have any magical properties when used by a non-Chrimatia, appear more ornate and embellished than normal, and may be completed with only a minute of work which must be preformed inside the Chrimatia’s vault. You are automaticly proficient with any weapon or amour that is given an enchantment bonus by you.

Gold expended any manner originating form this Class Feature does nor visibility disappear from the quantity that appears within your vault but is otherwise unavailable to you and is not treated as existing. In order to ‘invest’ GP using this class feature, you must spend a minute of work which is preformed inside the Chrimatia’s vault.
    Last edited by ThreadNecro5; 2016-02-09 at 06:41 PM.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

10. - Top - End - #220
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I've been looking over the Archikos and the Eoteras trying to work the two myths together in and I noticed one key thing while one seems to be about innocence destroyed the other is immortal embodiment of nature. So I'm trying to update the banner for the Archikos and running into a brick wall. I have Orb(Incarnations of Immortality), Iceman(X-Men), Thrall(Warcraft), Maleficent(really she fits both classes well)

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

11. - Top - End - #221

Chimera

So I've been looking over the Archikos and the Eoteras trying to work the two myths together in and I noticed one key thing while one seems to be about innocence destroyed the other is immortal embodiment of nature. So I'm trying to update the banner for the Archikos and running into a brick wall. I have Orb(Incarnations of Immortality), Iceman(X-Men), Thrall(Warcraft), Maleficent(really she fits both classes well)
    Poison Ivy? Kinda? In some versions she fits that, she has a lot of retcons.
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Spoiler: Internets
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I've been looking over the Archikos and the Eoteras trying to work the two myths together
    They are actually pretty different Mythos. Best of luck. Also: Thrall is already in the Kathodos banner, so you're kind of cheating there.
    Last edited by VoodooPaladin; 2016-02-10 at 04:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223

MindFlayer

I just re read the fluff for the Eoteras and realized it was basically natures son who was the patron titan. And Thrall is just the best example of communing with nature out there. Totally forgot but Poison Ivy is on the roster.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just re read the fluff for the Eoteras and realized it was basically natures son who was the patron titan. And Thrall is just the best example of communing with nature out there. Totally forgot but Poison Ivy is on the roster.
    Thrall isn't even the best example from Warcraft. Malfurion Stormrage is. Nor would either of those be my first choice. That title goes to DOTA 2's Rooftrellan, followed by my second choice, Disney's Tarzan.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Thrall isn't even the best example from Warcraft. Malfurion Stormrage is. Nor would either of those be my first choice. That title goes to DOTA 2's Rooftrellan, followed by my second choice, Disney's Tarzan.
    sorry mate but jerkfurion is really bad choice only think he did is act like lawful idiot while trall reforms all of horde from top to bottom

16. - Top - End - #226

Planetar

Not Nature's Profit Prophet/Furion?

17. - Top - End - #227

MindFlayer

Thrall is basically the pinnacle of becoming being both one with nature and the legendary warrior. Malfurion seems like a natural choice but he just seems to fall short of what i intend. Previously i had Ysera and Malfurion i think Ysera will stay.

Tarzan is nothing but a feral child with no special abilities hes just the weird kid that grew up in the jungle. So if you were pitching barbian that became one with the land in the hunter sense or something of that nature hed be right up that ally but this is one with nature not though modern means but truely becoming nature itself.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    sorry mate but jerkfurion is really bad choice only think he did is act like lawful idiot while trall reforms all of horde from top to bottom
    I never said he was a good person, or a good leader. (or that anything post-Vanilla WoW is well-written) I only said that he is the greatest druid who ever lived, who trained at the foot of the Demigod of Nature, Cenarius, and whose guidance is implied to be the source of all Night Elven druidism. His 10'000-years of pilgrimage within the Emerald Dream can speak for itself.

But those are all excuses, I suppose. Lots of characters have a list of accolades that could be attributed to them. The real reason I picked him is because his command of nature is clear and ever-present. This is a guy who tells the trees what to do, and they just get up and do it. If he stumbles across a ten-millenia-old magic bridge, he doesn't fumble around looking for a key. He just tells it 'Do you know who I am!?' and it activates itself. That kind of rule over natural forces is what I think of when I think 'Mythic Druid,' so I'll admit my position's subjectivity.

Tarzan was picked for much the same reason. 'King of the Jungle' and all that.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

One with Nature AND a Legendary Warrior? Off the top of my head: Kraven the Hunter (Marvel), San (Princess Mononoke), Udyr (League of Legends), Toph (Legend of Korra), The Na'Vi (Avatar).

20. - Top - End - #230

MindFlayer

I guess I don't know how to say what I mean. I'm not looking for druids, as i see druids they are simultaneously discovering nature while they interact with it and protect it. This feels more in line with the proteans story. What I want are examples of nature, that are nature, they don't need to learn about nature because they are it inherently. This is why Yesra is a better choice over Cenarius, Thrall, or Malfurion. Looked up ROOFTRELLEN but he doesn't seem to quite fit the fantasy of the class to me. The Nav'hi are close but feels like they are missing a key element.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2016-02-11 at 06:39 PM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

What I want are examples of nature, that are nature, they don't need to learn about nature because they are it inherently.
    Well. You're going to need all of the luck, then, because that isn't exactly common. But I'll see what I can do.

Okay. The Scion of Mana is the final boss of Children of Mana. Anise might also fit, but I'd need to look more into it. It's possible the Mana Goddess at the end of Legend of Mana would fit better, but all I have to go on is this Youtube video.

Captain Planet and whichever Gaia-expy you prefer are just about the only others I could dig up. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Firbolg in the Playground

DC's Swamp Thing
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

How about Omnath?

24. - Top - End - #234

MindFlayer

Well. You're going to need all of the luck, then, because that isn't exactly common. But I'll see what I can do.

Okay. The Scion of Mana is the final boss of Children of Mana. Anise might also fit, but I'd need to look more into it. It's possible the Mana Goddess at the end of Legend of Mana would fit better, but all I have to go on is this Youtube video.

Captain Planet and whichever Gaia-expy you prefer are just about the only others I could dig up. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Thanx for the mana suggestion it would filled my last slot, but i cant find a pic of the goddess..

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    DC's Swamp Thing
    If I didn't have poison ivy he would be on there.

I pulled my old roster back up and updated it. Currently I have Cernunnos(Celtic God), Marah(Dawngate), Maleficent, Ysera(Warcraft), Poison Ivy(DC), Gaia(Marvel), Hanna(The Tithe: penny arcade), Orb(Incarnations of Immortality)

Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2016-02-12 at 12:43 AM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Xefas (or anyone), I'm very keen to paly with Mythos characters, but less keen to deal with all the baggage that is 3.5e. Would you recommend Exalted? Which edition? And how difficult would it be to port back the classes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I wonder how big something has to be before it gets its own weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymme
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

26. - Top - End - #236

Back again with some progress report on the Setgetzen.

I ended up going along with the idea of branching Mythos paths, eventually settling on tagging Different Mythos with the [Growth] and [Burn] tags. [Growth] tags tend to indicate a Mythos that aids the Setgetzen's entire Collective in some way, or that help expand the story of the Mind Flower's original tale. Mythos with the [Burn] tag indicate more offensively-oriented, self-targeting abilities, or ones that branch off to explore the searing madness that has haunted the Celosia since it was assaulted.

I also finally settled on a solution to my Shintai problem, and there are now two of them for the Setgetzen, one for both [Burn] and [Growth].

Spoiler: Roots Ingrained in Thought Shintai
    Show
    Roots Ingrained in Thought Shintai

Prerequisites: Telepathic Talent Transferal, Space-Transcending Cerebral Positioning, Boundary-Dissolving

Collective Cognition, 2 other Mythos with the [Growth] descriptor.

[Growth]

The Celosia was a part of all things’ minds, and never needed to be separate from them, for it was them. You too gain this ability.

Firstly, the number of creatures that you may have in your collective is doubled. Secondly, you are aware of all information that the creatures in your collective are aware of; they cannot keep secrets from you, and you have access to all of their memories. Thirdly, you share the senses of every member of your collective, and experience all emotions and sensations that they do simultaneously.
    However, taking this Mythos renders your physical body immobile, and you become rooted the spot you are standing at when you acquire this Mythos. You no longer require food, water, sleep, or any other such petty mortal needs. Your body never ages, and is effectively immortal – you can be killed, but you will never contract illness or die of natural causes. You may continue to utilize class features, spells, psionic powers, and any other ability that does not require you to physically move in any way other than speaking.

Spoiler: Rise From Rosen Ashes Shintai
    Show
    Rise From Rosen Ashes Shintai

Prerequisites: 4 other Mythos with the [Burn] descriptor, Psychometabolic Regeneration Hideaway

[Burn]

Found in the minds of all living things, the Celosia retreated deep into the collective unconscious when it was seared. You have a similar ability, though you turn it to a different purpose.
    Upon taking this Mythos, your body bursts into flame and evaporates. Your consciousness then occupies the nearest target of your choice. Your feats, mental ability scores, class features, skills, and all other powers overwrite those of your new host. For all mechanical purposes, this character is you with a new body. However, every week, your host makes a Will save with a DC equal to your Setgetzen level + your Intelligence modifier.

Should they succeed on this save, your mind is immediately expelled from their body, and they become immune to possession in this fashion. You are also expelled from their body should they die. In order to possess a new host, you must choose a target to make the same Will save as a target who is attempting to expel you. Should they fail, you gain control of their body. You may only spend a number of days equal to your Intelligence modifier without a host, or your consciousness will dissipate and you will die.

In addition to all of the above, should you use Consciousness-Consuming Conflagration while possessing somebody, you may choose to take Con drain or burn instead of Int.

Also, in case I never included it with any of my earlier posts, the Celosia's story.

Spoiler: The Mind Flower's Story
    Show
    What is a story but an idea, a thought given room to run and leap and bound away from its own restraints? Even as the earliest Titans came to be, their very essence, the very idea of thought made flesh, was the seed of yet another idea. As the Titans multiplied and minds echoed raucously throughout existence, that seed grew, and eventually bloomed into the Celosia. Rooted in the thoughts and minds of all of creation, the Celosia flourished, and spread its branches across the collective unconscious of the universe, drinking deep of the ideas and emotions of all living things.

Some, however, felt as though the Celosia was an invader, a parasite which infected the minds of others, instead of the offspring of flourishing minds through the cosmos. And so they dared to cut at its tendrils, and in response the Celosia struck back, lighting their minds ablaze and tearing them asunder. The Celosia’s roots were still ingrained in the minds of these maddened creatures, and the Titan trembled, for such brokenness was unknown to it, and was as poison to it. The Celosia retreated then, hiding itself away, the bitter taste of scorching insanity still fresh on its tongue; a taste from which it would never escape, not truly.

The children of the Celosia partake of their mother’s fruit, tapping into not just the minds of others but also themselves, honing their thoughts into roaring pyres of psionic power and amassing the might of the collective unconscious. Master mentalists, tacticians, and psychic warriors, Setgetzens are a living testament to the strength of mind over matter.

27. - Top - End - #237

Chimera

Quite interesting... a shintai in which you choose immobile immortality or possession-hopping with a chance of death if your host is in the middle of nowhere.

Edit: Is that literally rooted, or can people carry you around?
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2016-02-17 at 04:02 PM.
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Spoiler: Internets
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238

I was thinking literally rooted. However, they're still able to influence events through their Collective. One of the Setgetzen's Excellencies will allow it to learn a psionic power, and I intend to give the class the ability to manifest powers through members of their Collective, meaning they'll be able to use their Collective members as conduits for their psionic powers even though the Setgetzen itself will be locked into a single physical location.

29. - Top - End - #239

MindFlayer

All it makes me think of is the leader of namek

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slawth13 View Post
    I was thinking literally rooted. However, they're still able to influence events through their Collective. One of the Setgetzen's Excellencies will allow it to learn a psionic power, and I intend to give the class the ability to manifest powers through members of their Collective, meaning they'll be able to use their Collective members as conduits for their psionic powers even though the Setgetzen itself will be locked into a single physical location.
    All it makes me think of is the leader of namek
    or from warhammer emperor of moronkind