New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Lightbulb How To: Full Wizard Casting and 16.5 BAB!

Greetings, all!

I was pondering Wizard gishes lately and discovered a way to get full Wizard casting and 16+ BAB in 20 levels! This requires early entry tricks, flaws, and writing a background where you're probably more of a hero than you already are mechanically at level 1. Still, it's at least theoretically possible!

I assume for this build that Heighten Spell + Metamagic School Focus works more than once per spell, thereby allowing me to cast level 4 spells at character level 1.

Any Good LA0 Aasimar Transmuter1 (0.5 BAB)/Ruathar3 (2.75 BAB)/Raumathari Battlemage3 (5 BAB)/Dragonslayer1 (6 BAB)/Spellsword1 (7 BAB)/Abjurant Champion 5 (12 BAB)/Sacred Exorcist6 (16.5 BAB)

1: Combat Casting, Heighten Spell, Metamagic School Focus, [Scribe Scroll OR Fighter Bonus Feat]
    3: EWP: You Bastard! Sword
    6: Dodge, [Iron Will from O Hole]

(Take what you want from here feat-wise.)

Build Requirements
    -13 STR: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
    -13 DEX: Dodge
    -Fractional BAB stacking
    -A willing GM
    -Some LA0 source of martial weapon proficiency (I went with LA0 Aasimar, AKA 'Savage Aasimar')
    -Good Alignment: Sacred Exorcist

Build Negatives
    -Your martial abilities bloom late. You're basically a Wizard who minors in martial prowess. Even a single level of Crusader or Warblade would help you tremendously at level 1 or 2 just to get you some noteworthy martial abilities.

-Despite taking a feat for Exotic Weapon Proficiency, you're probably better off as an archer and caster until polymorph et al.

-You're more MAD than most Wizards. You, for some odd reason, absolutely require 13 STR for EWP: BS.
    Build Positives
    +You're a frickin' Wizard with a base caster level = to your character level! You could light all your feats on fire and still be awesome!

+You have more skill points and a broader skill list than most Wizards. You also have more HP (larger hit dice on most levels) and higher base saves
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How To: Full Wizard Casting and 16.5 BAB!

You know Wizard 10/Rainbow Servant 10 has full 20 levels of Wizard casting and 20 bab right?
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    You know Wizard 10/Rainbow Servant 10 has full 20 levels of Wizard casting and 20 bab right?
    Or just arcane disciple for any of the domains that have divine power, and then just craft a wand and put it in your sword with a wand chamber. Or just ahve high UMD.

Then get some levels in incantatrix and persist it.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Or just arcane disciple for any of the domains that have divine power, and then just craft a wand and put it in your sword with a wand chamber. Or just ahve high UMD.

Then get some levels in incantatrix and persist it.
    Or, since you're already a Sacred Exorcist, just switch your race to Illumian (naenhoon) and persist it that way.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Awww, I was going to say that!
    Actually, it's slightly better than that: Wizard 1/Rainbow Servant 10 has full Wizard casting and full BAB from 11th level onward. Fill the other levels to taste.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Yup. Full BABies and CL 20 on a wizard is pretty easy.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pine View Post
    Actually, it's slightly better than that: Wizard 1/Rainbow Servant 10 has full Wizard casting and full BAB from 11th level onward. Fill the other levels to taste.
    How are you going to get into Rainbow Servant, requiring the ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells, at level 2?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    How are you going to get into Rainbow Servant, requiring the ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells, at level 2?
    Earth Sense, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, and Earth Spell: heighten a Sanctum cantrip inside your sanctum. Voilà, 3rd level arcane spells.
    I also heard about aa way to do it with taint, but I'm not familiar with it because my group doesn't use taint rules.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, divine power works. My version still grants 16 BAB (at L20) even without magic. So there.

The race (LA0 Aasimar) is mostly locked in for this build due to needing proficiency with martial weapons for Raumathari Battlemage.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're interested, the local gish handbook provides a bunch of other standard gish builds, most of which don't require spells to work.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Yes, divine power works. My version still grants 16 BAB (at L20) even without magic. So there.

The race (LA0 Aasimar) is mostly locked in for this build due to needing proficiency with martial weapons for Raumathari Battlemage.
    If by 'LA0 Aasimar' you mean lesser aasimar, that doesn't work. Lesser planetouched are humanoid, not outsiders. If you mean you just used LA buyoff, carry on
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "Whatever the plot requires" is the most pointless argument anyone can make. Yes, we know that--we know this is a story, not a strangely-presented history lesson. However, if we just say, "There's no point in discussing this because what will happen is what the plot demands" then there's no point in having *any* discussion on these boards, and Rich might as well close down the OotS part of the forum now!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thing is, any wizard spellcasting level above 17th is just gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samalpetey View Post
    If by 'LA0 Aasimar' you mean lesser aasimar, that doesn't work. Lesser planetouched are humanoid, not outsiders. If you mean you just used LA buyoff, carry on
    He means the Savage Progression version here, which is a legit outsider.

Tiefling or Neraph would also work.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Male

A single level of ardent with the Magic Mantle, Supernatural Transformation (Psionics), and lots of StP erudite/Psychic Chirurgery abuse can net you full psionic manifesting, full arcane casting, and full divine casting all three. You just need to boost the hell out of your Wisdom score to get lots of power points to manifest with.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-11-13 at 06:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    A single level of ardent with the Magic Mantle, Supernatural Transformation (Psionics), and lots of StP erudite/Psychic Chirurgery abuse can net you full psionic manifesting, full arcane casting, and full divine casting all three. You just need to boost the hell out of your Wisdom score to get lots of power points to manifest with.
    What is this "Psionics" ability you're taking Supernatural Transformation for? Ardents don't have any such class ability, as far as I'm aware. Their class abilities are Power Points/Day, Powers Known, Mantles, and Assume Psionic Mantle, none of which are valid choices for Supernatural Transformation.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    What is this "Psionics" ability you're taking Supernatural Transformation for? Ardents don't have any such class ability, as far as I'm aware. Their class abilities are Power Points/Day, Powers Known, Mantles, and Assume Psionic Mantle, none of which are valid choices for Supernatural Transformation.
    Every sample psionic character and monster has their manifesting listed under "Psionics," which is a Psi-Like ability, by definition. Magic Mantle equates that with Spell-Like ability, qualifying it for use with Supernatural Transformation.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-11-13 at 07:37 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Every sample psionic character and monster has their manifesting listed under "Psionics," which is a Psi-Like ability, by definition. Magic Mantle equates that with Spell-Like ability, qualifying it for use with Supernatural Transformation.
    I just checked Complete Psionic and the Expanded Psionics Handbook. The sample Ardent has no such ability listed, nor do any of the sample prestige class characters. Some of the monsters have "Psi-like abilities", but that is obviously plural, AKA multiple abilities, and Supernatural Transformation requires you to choose just one. Some of the statblocks in EPH have "Powers known", but again, we already knew Ardents have that as a class ability, and it's not marked as (Sp) or (Ps). The only statblocks I can find with "Psionics" as an ability are ones like the Mind Flayer, for whom it consists of several different spell-like abilities, not just one.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Earth Sense, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, and Earth Spell: heighten a Sanctum cantrip inside your sanctum. Voilà, 3rd level arcane spells.
    4 feats at level one? That works well assuming the variant flaw rule is in place.... otherwise....
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    4 feats at level one? That works well assuming the variant flaw rule is in place.... otherwise....
    And, for that matter, much more complicated than becoming moderately depraved and getting Eldritch Corruption as a bonus feat for free, which takes no feat slots at all.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

And, for that matter, much more complicated than becoming moderately depraved and getting Eldritch Corruption as a bonus feat for free, which takes no feat slots at all.
    Dammit, beat me to it. Though I would like to note, Moderate depravity only gives you one bonus feat, so it does still require a feat to meet Eldritch Corruption's prerequisite (or just dive into Severe Corruption for yet another bonus feat, covering the whole cost of early entry).

That being said, 4 feats at first level is doable.

1: Base feat at 1st everyone gets.
    2: Human bonus feat.
    3: Bonus from selling your soul (you an extra if you lease it instead, I believe, but that's more of a pain).
    4: Bonus from being moderately corrupted or depraved.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2015-11-13 at 03:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I always wondered is there any rules saying you may start with corruption, or start the game having sold your soul. Of course any DM can say that you did as part of your backstory, but in the vein of a full RAW theoretical discussion...
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

While it is more complicated, it does have the advantage of not turning your character into a crazy depraved murderhobo, which is especially useful if you're trying to enter a PrC like Rainbow Servant that requires non-Chaotic and non-Evil alignment.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

While it is more complicated, it does have the advantage of not turning your character into a crazy depraved murderhobo, which is especially useful if you're trying to enter a PrC like Rainbow Servant that requires non-Chaotic and non-Evil alignment.
    Moderate Depravity doesn't turn you into a crazy murderhobo either, and there's nothing that forces tainted characters to be evil. If anything, the vast majority of Depravity symptoms are more a danger to yourself than anyone else. And anyway, you only need it for a couple levels. Once you're in Rainbow Servant it self-qualified from its casting advancement in soon enough time, so you can have your taint cleansed at level 5.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Taint registers as evil to a Detect Evil spell, but it doesn't necessarily represent an alignment change, although it might. Heroes of Horror notes (on page 67) that characters with moderate depravity generally won't be Good, but they may be Neutral, which is good enough for Rainbow Servant.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Psi-Like Abilities (Ps)
    The manifestation of powers by a psionic character is considered a psi-like ability
    I think this may be what he's referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'm confused why 16 BAB is such a common goal, as if it were the main thing you needed on the melee side. You really want that attack at a -15 to hit that badly? I'd be more concerned about the -4 to all my other attacks. And yeah, high optimization can do almost anything including 20 BAB.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I'm confused why 16 BAB is such a common goal, as if it were the main thing you needed on the melee side. You really want that attack at a -15 to hit that badly? I'd be more concerned about the -4 to all my other attacks. And yeah, high optimization can do almost anything including 20 BAB.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 4 swings
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 4 swings
    Which can be done via medium BAB and Snap Kick. Also Two Weapon Fighting. Also Cleave. Also a bite attack. Also Combat Reflexes.

There are much better ways to get additional attacks than 16+ BAB, and so long as you have a good enough attack bonus to make them hit, you're just about as well off.

The one and only thing is Power Attack bonuses, but so long as you kill what you're hitting, anything more is overkill.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Which can be done via medium BAB and Snap Kick. Also Two Weapon Fighting. Also Cleave. Also a bite attack. Also Combat Reflexes.

There are much better ways to get additional attacks than 16+ BAB, and so long as you have a good enough attack bonus to make them hit, you're just about as well off.

The one and only thing is Power Attack bonuses, but so long as you kill what you're hitting, anything more is overkill.
    Hence the shruggy. It's just something people aim for, regardless of how effective it is.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Hence the shruggy. It's just something people aim for, regardless of how effective it is.
    Power comes wherever you find it, and BAB is one of the least effective forms of it. Sacrificing BAB for something more powerful is worth it, because it is, by far, one of the easiest to make up for.