New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Hero Academy #2: Whodunit

Leshii considers the question for a moment before answering in her own voice.

"There's really not that much to tell. Midwestern girl, found out I was a mutant when I was twelve. General shapeshifting powers, mostly. My father was a cop, so I figured I'd follow in his footsteps. I turned 18 not too long ago, and I moved to Hollywood to follow my other dream at the same time. I had a, well, I guess you could call it an epiphany, and I ended up here to do the hero thing full time. Of course, full time heroing wasn't entirely my intention, but there's no openings here for my of line of work."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Powerhouse simply shrugged "Not much to tell. I found out about my powers kind of late, after my brother..." he paused and shook his head "At any rate, I started this whole super hero-ing thing sometime in high school, and went to college..." he said pausing

"I tried doing the solo thing for a while, I feel like I can do more with a group rather than just by myself..."
    he said pausing "This city needs all the help it can get" he shook his head , turning towards the gadgeteer "I've got super strength by the way...And Techno paladin named me the team leader" he said looking towards FX, then back towards Improv "For all that means"
    My Science Blog
    Current: Weight Loss: The Honest Truth

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sekhmet shrugs a little at the question, finding the looks she gets from others on public transit a little disconcerting but nothing she isn't used to. She also has to keep her tail dancing, thanks to a small boy of around the age of four who keeps trying to grab it.

"Myself... Well... My old name was Mary Jackson. I was born on a dig site in Egypt, moved all over the world with my parents... Fairly normal until a few months ago when I suffered some sort of seizure. Turned out it was a divine essence fusing with me. I was in hospital for a week or so, and throughout, my hands were clutched on an idol of Sekhmet I kept in my room. I guess... Somehow... It had an effect on me. I kept changing until... Well... This. And with that, she directs a motion along herself. "The doctors couldn't explain it, and I kept having fits of random anger, and kept smashing hospital beds and stuff. My Dad then remembered the old myths, gave me some of the pomegranate juice I carry about, and I calmed down. I got registered, I recovered, I went back to school. I... Had an incident... And found myself a lot of free time. Then, I got an invite to this place." She shrugged. "I can throw fireballs, I can punch holes in walls, I can see through them first, I can fly, I'm not hurt by fire or cold, I don't need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe..." Sekhmet listed off, counting her powers on her fingers, looking up at the roof as she thought, staring at nothing, and then suddenly jumped and yelped, her tail swiftly moving into her hand, the fluff on it standing on end, the child behind her having caught it and yanked on the hair. "Yow! Hey, watch it kid!" She yelled, eyes flashing red as she growled, wringing the wounded appendage. With a sigh, she shakes her head and finishes her tale. "Anyway... I never really got into being a superhero. I only ever really caused problems before now. I figured this was a good way to get this thing under control."

((Didn't check it recently, no, but I read the bit about Reaper. And I hope the bit with the child in this post is alright))
    Last edited by Axelgear; 2007-11-05 at 06:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_the_Rogue View Post
    "And Techno paladin named me the team leader"[/COLOR] he said looking towards FX, then back towards Improv "For all that means"
    "Look at it this way. It's not so much that I'm letting you be team leader as you being team leader makes you most likely to be shot at! And I have a very bad allergy to intravenous lead injections..."

5. - Top - End - #155

Powerhouse simply shrugged "Not much to tell. I found out about my powers kind of late, after my brother..." he paused and shook his head "At any rate, I started this whole super hero-ing thing sometime in high school, and went to college..." he said pausing

"I tried doing the solo thing for a while, I feel like I can do more with a group rather than just by myself..."
    he said pausing "This city needs all the help it can get" he shook his head , turning towards the gadgeteer "I've got super strength by the way...And Techno paladin named me the team leader" he said looking towards FX, then back towards Improv "For all that means"
    "So the rumors of Techno opening a 'hero school' were true, huh? Hope it'll work out."

"Myself... Well... My old name was Mary Jackson. I was born on a dig site in Egypt, moved all over the world with my parents... Fairly normal until a few months ago when I suffered some sort of seizure. Turned out it was a divine essence fusing with me. I was in hospital for a week or so, and throughout, my hands were clutched on an idol of Sekhmet I kept in my room. I guess... Somehow... It had an effect on me. I kept changing until... Well... This. And with that, she directs a motion along herself. "The doctors couldn't explain it, and I kept having fits of random anger, and kept smashing hospital beds and stuff. My Dad then remembered the old myths, gave me some of the pomegranate juice I carry about, and I calmed down. I got registered, I recovered, I went back to school. I... Had an incident... And found myself a lot of free time. Then, I got an invite to this place." She shrugged. "I can throw fireballs, I can punch holes in walls, I can see through them first, I can fly, I'm not hurt by fire or cold, I don't need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe..." Sekhmet listed off, counting her powers on her fingers, looking up at the roof as she thought, staring at nothing, and then suddenly jumped and yelped, her tail swiftly moving into her hand, the fluff on it standing on end, the child behind her having caught it and yanked on the hair. "Yow! Hey, watch it kid!" She yelled, eyes flashing red as she growled, wringing the wounded appendage. With a sigh, she shakes her head and finishes her tale. "Anyway... I never really got into being a superhero. I only ever really caused problems before now. I figured this was a good way to get this thing under control."
    Improv gets pensive. "So...what, you're an actual Egyptian goddess? And if Brick called you 'one of them', does that mean I should be worried about fighting Seth somewhere down the road?"

((Techno-Paladin has his sources and access to secrets that may be relevant to Sekhmet's background. Improv...doesn't, so he relies on guesswork.))

((Didn't check it recently, no, but I read the bit about Reaper. And I hope the bit with the child in this post is alright))
    ((No prob. And I hope the bit with Reaper wasn't too much - I was trying to show him as truly, deeply EVIL with capital letters.))
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarthrax View Post
    "Look at it this way. It's not so much that I'm letting you be team leader as you being team leader makes you most likely to be shot at! And I have a very bad allergy to intravenous lead injections..."

"Your confidence in me is truly awe inspiring"
    he said, not sounding entirely annoyed, but a little amused "Luckily, I've developed a tolerance to those sort of injections"
    My Science Blog

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by sun_tzu View Post
    "So, guys, could you tell me about yourselves? Especially you" he points at Sekhmet. "I know I'm the fast-thinking gadget guy, I know you can fly, I know you are elastic, and unless I'm mistaken you're Francis Cross, but other than that, what are your abilities and stories?"
    "Actually, I'm both Francis Cross AND the fast-thinking gadget guy. Other than that, you know the jist already. My life's an open book."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Improv gets pensive. "So...what, you're an actual Egyptian goddess? And if Brick called you 'one of them', does that mean I should be worried about fighting Seth somewhere down the road?"

((Techno-Paladin has his sources and access to secrets that may be relevant to Sekhmet's background. Improv...doesn't, so he relies on guesswork.))

((No prob. And I hope the bit with Reaper wasn't too much - I was trying to show him as truly, deeply EVIL with capital letters.))
    ((No worries. I've run games with decapitated infants appearing so often that they could be a form of currency. Too much really doesn't apply to me anymore))

Sekhmet shakes her head slowly, thinking about what she said and trying to tack on something further. "Uh... Yes... And no. See, I'm a goddess, of sorts, but not Sekhmet. Not the original Sekhmet, anyway. Techno-Paladin explained it to me and I don't really remember how he said it, but he explained that, yes, I am a goddess and that my powers haven't fully developed yet. I've got to ask him more on that... But I suppose it's just a matter of the right trigger or something." She shrugs, sipping more from her bottle of water and looking at her claws.

((Are they on a subway or bus?))
    Last edited by Axelgear; 2007-11-06 at 06:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

"Actually, I'm both Francis Cross AND the fast-thinking gadget guy. Other than that, you know the jist already. My life's an open book."
    "Well, no, not really. I kinda remember you became a superhero recently - what was the codename again? FX or something like that? - but I don't know what you can do. I'm guessing those gauntlets aren't just ornamental?"

Sekhmet shakes her head slowly, thinking about what she said and trying to tack on something further. "Uh... Yes... And no. See, I'm a goddess, of sorts, but not Sekhmet. Not the original Sekhmet, anyway. Techno-Paladin explained it to me and I don't really remember how he said it, but he explained that, yes, I am a goddess and that my powers haven't fully developed yet. I've got to ask him more on that... But I suppose it's just a matter of the right trigger or something." She shrugs, sipping more from her bottle of water and looking at her claws.
    "Ooookay. I'll ask Techno about it." Improv doesn't really seem satisfied with the explanation.
    As the subway reaches another stop, he adds: "We're getting off at the next one. The Triade hangout ain't far."

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sekhmet nods and just sways with the train as it moves. After a moment, she frowns, and tilts her head, soon just hanging from the bars, hovering off the ground ".... So is this normal? Do all superheroes take the subway or something?"

((Yes, I have played CoH))

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Axelgear View Post
    Sekhmet nods and just sways with the train as it moves. After a moment, she frowns, and tilts her head, soon just hanging from the bars, hovering off the ground ".... So is this normal? Do all superheroes take the subway or something?"

((Yes, I have played CoH))
    "I know I usually do" says Improv. "Global Champions got their teleporters, Vigilance can fly...Depends, really."

((Heh. To quote from PvP: "Go go justice mass transport!"))

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

"So, what can we expect at this hangout, anyway? Are we looking at a bunch of guys with guns, or something a little harder to crack?"

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    "So, what can we expect at this hangout, anyway? Are we looking at a bunch of guys with guns, or something a little harder to crack?"
    "Guys with guns are pretty much a given. I wouldn't be surprised too find a metahuman enforcer or two, especially if Abe Lam is there - their 'mountain master', or gang boss if you will."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

"So is this Abe guy we're looking for a metahuman too? I mean, with all of the hero teams and rival gangs in this city, the only way you're going to survive is if you're really smart, or really powerful."

15. - Top - End - #165

"So is this Abe guy we're looking for a metahuman too? I mean, with all of the hero teams and rival gangs in this city, the only way you're going to survive is if you're really smart, or really powerful."
    "True enough. The police suspects Abe is meta, but it's unconfirmed. He's not the smartest mobster in town, I think - not stupid, but not that smart either. Triad politics can be complicated, especially since they're less unified than, say, the Italian Mafia - in fact, the Triads spend more time fighting each other than fighting non-Chinese gangs. Abe controls one of the Big Apple's Triads, not all of them.
    I know he's got a very deadly enforcer, though - goes by Lady Sting. Dangerous girl with some kind of magic sword. I've seen her cut through omni-metal."

((omni-metal - created by the world-spanning Omnicorp with reverse-engineered alien technology - is a silvery metal about twice as strong as steel, and somewhat lighter. Becoming increasingly common, and used en mass for the buildings in Megalopolis.))

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ouch! I can see why it would be a good idea to avoid fighting."

17. - Top - End - #167

"Ouch! I can see why it would be a good idea to avoid fighting."
    "And I'm sure you can see why I thought it'd be best to bring several people" adds Improv as the subway reaches your station.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

"Good point," Leshii says as she steps out into the station. "Lead on."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

"All the more targets..." said Powerhueunder his breath, looking ahead "So what do you guys prefer? A stealthy approach? Or should we just bash our way in?" he said with a slight laugh at the second option

Stealth until necessary would be best, if they were smart they'd already know we're here however....
    My Science Blog

20. - Top - End - #170

"All the more targets..." said Powerhueunder his breath, looking ahead "So what do you guys prefer? A stealthy approach? Or should we just bash our way in?" he said with a slight laugh at the second option

Stealth until necessary would be best, if they were smart they'd already know we're here however....
    "Well, considering we want to ask them questions, I was hoping to go for the 'walk in like we own the place and hope to high heaven they'll be intimidated' approach."

21. - Top - End - #171

"Well, the gauntlets can either blast things or help me punch things. I gotta portal generator that helps out for stuff. That's about it. Not counting the datalink, of course. With regard to the intimidation plan, I'll let you guys handle that part. I'm about as intimidating as oatmeal. Also, if we run into the girl, dibs on the sword."

22. - Top - End - #172

"Well, the gauntlets can either blast things or help me punch things. I gotta portal generator that helps out for stuff. That's about it. Not counting the datalink, of course. With regard to the intimidation plan, I'll let you guys handle that part. I'm about as intimidating as oatmeal. Also, if we run into the girl, dibs on the sword."
    "Yeah, that'll happen" Improv rolls his eyes. "If you can arrest and convict her, then the sword probably goes to the FBSA. Otherwise, she keeps it. Besides, since it's a magic sword and all, there's a fifty-fifty chance it's bonded to her or some other mystical thing like that.
    Anyway...Here we are" he points at a large building - some kind of Chinese restaurant/club hybrid. "Abe's triad owns this joint. Ready to walk inside?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Leshii nods as she makes a final check of her disguise. "Let's do this."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I know he's got a very deadly enforcer, though - goes by Lady Sting. Dangerous girl with some kind of magic sword. I've seen her cut through omni-metal."
    Sekhmet pauses at this, and has to think long and hard on some formulating idea. She finally voices it when they're getting off the train. "Lady Sting... Kanojo wa watas-hitachi wo korosu..." Sekhmet states in flawless Japanese. She then just continues to follow the group, hovering along behind them. "Sheesh, I forgot how much I used to walk..." She mutters, looking at her feet along the way.

((Just fyi, translated, it means "She's going to kill us". As for how she knows it, Sekhmet knows a few key phrases in Japanese, including asking directions to the bathroom, saying she doesn't speak Japanese, and other minor phrases picked up from travel books and various animes. And the hyphen is there because of the ruddy swear-filter.))
    Last edited by Axelgear; 2007-11-09 at 07:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Axelgear View Post
    Sekhmet pauses at this, and has to think long and hard on some formulating idea. She finally voices it when they're getting off the train. "Lady Sting... Kanojo wa watas-hitachi wo korosu..." Sekhmet states in flawless Japanese. She then just continues to follow the group, hovering along behind them. "Sheesh, I forgot how much I used to walk..." She mutters, looking at her feet along the way.

((Just fyi, translated, it means "She's going to kill us". As for how she knows it, Sekhmet knows a few key phrases in Japanese, including asking directions to the bathroom, saying she doesn't speak Japanese, and other minor phrases picked up from travel books and various animes. And the hyphen is there because of the ruddy swear-filter.))
    "That was Japanese, right?" asks Improv. "Avoid using it in there - those guys hate the Japanese."

As your group enters the building, all eyes turn to you. The place is richly decorated - a combination of Chinese tradition, modern America, and a lot of money.
    There is a group of several men and one women Improv seems to be leading you toward. The woman has a beautiful sword by her side.

26. - Top - End - #176

FX's eyes widen at the sight of the sword. "Definately a pre-emptive dibs call..."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Powerhouse shakes his head at FX and in a hoarse whisper says "You could make one..." he said before turning himself back towards the people at hand. He unhooked one of the hypermass balls and began to toss it up and down idly in his right hand

He then looks around with a half hearted shrug at the place turning towards Improv briefly "Rather gaudy isn't it?" he said very audibly before turning back towards the front, looking at the group and men and the women. He was silently glad he had a helmet on, because he was definitely looking Lady Sting over

No...no more super powered dates, especially not a villain...not again anyway...still
    he pondered shaking his head before turning ahead back towards the Triad, bowing slightly towards them when he got closer

"I'm not much for formality..." he said tossing the hypermass ball up again "But...I suppose I should say it's an honor to meet you...if I were polite...luckily I'm not"
    he said with a shrug "We have a common problem...or rather, had a problem..." he said looking towards Improv briefly "You wouldn't happen to remember a fellow named Brick would you?" he said his voice dripping with sarcasm on the last statement
    My Science Blog

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Leshii is content to let Powerhouse do the talking for now. She amuses herself by mirroring Improv's movements an instant after he did, as if she were a particularly advanced hologram.

29. - Top - End - #179

The triad members seem confused at first, especially by the twin Improvs...Then Powerhouse speaks up.

"I'm not much for formality..." he said tossing the hypermass ball up again "But...I suppose I should say it's an honor to meet you...if I were polite...luckily I'm not" he said with a shrug "We have a common problem...or rather, had a problem..." he said looking towards Improv briefly "You wouldn't happen to remember a fellow named Brick would you?" he said his voice dripping with sarcasm on the last statement.
    Improv gives you a memorable look. You can't tell if it's shock or admiration.
    The look the thugs give you seems more like a mix of shock and anger. Only the woman with the sword - Lady Sting? - remains almost impassible, merely raising an eyebrow. She doesn't look friendly, but her expression seems more curious than angry.
    "You have quite some nerve, cape" says the one at the far end of the table. "Barging deep into the Triad's home to show its members disrespect is not a smart move."
    "Want us to teach them respect, Mr Lam?" one of the other thugs asks him; the look on his face, right now, is a mixture of eagerness and plain meanness.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Powerhouse shrugged and looked towards the eager man

"Respect is only given if it is received...For instance...I currently respect, the one Mr. Lam there more than you. He's willing to see a business opportunity that would be beneficial to him and doesn't speak out of turn...nor does your better with the sword either...so please, be silent" he said turning towards Lam

"You'll forgive me, I'm far more used to dealing with your Sicilian counterparts, and with them, I wouldn't hesitate to throw down this hypermass ball" he said tossing it up into the air again "Which would then probably destroy the building...nor would I waste my breath trying to speak with them, they're less...refined that you are" he said looking around the room briefly, tossing the ball in the air again Not in fashion sense perhaps though...

"Besides...If I came in kissing your ass, you'd not trust me at all, I'm being honest with you, a rarity. I'd much rather someone be honest to me, than to kiss my ass in a false display of respect and honor, merely waiting for a moment to strike"
    he said with a glance towards the prior man, taking a deep breath before continuing, his voice reverberating slightly from his own helmet

"You talk of a smart move...you're an intelligent man...I highly doubt you'd want another Brick to come in and ruin your facilities...let alone the creature that spawned him"
    he said looking back towards the eager man

"We could, of course, fight, and even if you should win, you'll have a lot of losses and collateral damage, and publicity, never a good thing for a crime boss...Or we could arrange a deal. One that gives us information about Brick, and gives you a little more...breathing room shall we say?"
    he said, throwing the hypermass ball up in the air again "A win for you on two fronts...assuming you're willing to forgo a moment of disrespect...and more trouble than either of us want right now" the ball falling back down into his hand Though I am curious to see what the sword would do...
    Last edited by Mick_the_Rogue; 2007-11-12 at 07:15 PM.
    My Science Blog