New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Runequest 6 Combat and Rules; Help Requested

So, I recently picked up Runequest 6 to run for my group. I have very limited experience with Runequest (I've played Runequest 2 for one sitting, and Runequest 6 for around 45 minutes past character creation) and I have a couple questions about running it. Normally I'd just run it as-is, and make up the fixes as I can, but with finals approaching I don't have a lot of time to devote to reading, interpreting, and adjusting rules.

1: Weapon reach. Is the only method to close the distance one of the two actions? Is it possible to start the engagement at a range shroter than the longest weapon one cahracter holds?
    2. Movement on a grid and simulating said weapon reach. I am thinking just representing Long and Very Long weapons as having "reach" and set their range to two squares, with each square being one meter. The only reason I want to use a grid is because my group is mostly new to tabletops (they have a little over a year experience) and they still prefer the grids.
    3. Am I correct in assuming the Quarterstaff, a 1d8 weapon with L reach, becomes a 1d6 weapon at M range? And is incapable of parrying at S range, but is still a 1d4 weapon?

4. I am short of ideas that does not end with the players dying. The 3 of them that were there for the first session (out of 5) nearly died to 2 bandits with a 45% chance to hit/parry.
    5. Are endurance rolls to resist wounds harder to resist as time goes on? The way I read it, it's a flat check. A 100% endurance would just require never rolling 100 to never die, even when you are missing both legs.

Thank you, anybody who takes the time to read this wall of text and respond.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Runequest 6 Combat and Rules; Help Requested

I’m sorry I can’t reply specifically to the RQ6 questions as only played (and run) older RQ2

However re Question 4 – Lethality

RQ is one of the most lethal systems out there
    Players esp if they are D&D type players need to be re-educated (as do DM’s)

1. Numbers matter.
    Even a small excess of enemies over players can (will) be lethal
    Always gang up on enemies
    2. Missile Weapon’s / spells are your friend
    3. Assuming spirt magic is still in RQ6 then everyone needs the following
    Protection
    Healing
    Bladesharp (or range equivalent)
    Disruption (or similar)
    In original RQ background taking prisoners / hostages was common and many a PC has survived by surrendering and having a ransom bond that their local cult will pay ( as has none chaos enemies – and made the PC’s some money)
    4. Running away is a totally valid tactic and should be encouraged
    5. Fudge – I know there is a thread of Die fudging elsewhere but fudging damage is required (sometimes) – this turns a killing blow to a wound or one that just bounces off their armour

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Runequest 6 Combat and Rules; Help Requested

Quote Originally Posted by Lawleepawpz View Post
    So, I recently picked up Runequest 6 to run for my group. I have very limited experience with Runequest (I've played Runequest 2 for one sitting, and Runequest 6 for around 45 minutes past character creation) and I have a couple questions about running it. Normally I'd just run it as-is, and make up the fixes as I can, but with finals approaching I don't have a lot of time to devote to reading, interpreting, and adjusting rules.

1: Weapon reach. Is the only method to close the distance one of the two actions? Is it possible to start the engagement at a range shroter than the longest weapon one cahracter holds?
    2. Movement on a grid and simulating said weapon reach. I am thinking just representing Long and Very Long weapons as having "reach" and set their range to two squares, with each square being one meter. The only reason I want to use a grid is because my group is mostly new to tabletops (they have a little over a year experience) and they still prefer the grids.
    3. Am I correct in assuming the Quarterstaff, a 1d8 weapon with L reach, becomes a 1d6 weapon at M range? And is incapable of parrying at S range, but is still a 1d4 weapon?

4. I am short of ideas that does not end with the players dying. The 3 of them that were there for the first session (out of 5) nearly died to 2 bandits with a 45% chance to hit/parry.
    5. Are endurance rolls to resist wounds harder to resist as time goes on? The way I read it, it's a flat check. A 100% endurance would just require never rolling 100 to never die, even when you are missing both legs.

Thank you, anybody who takes the time to read this wall of text and respond.
    1. You can close the distance by taking the appropriate action or by chosing the appropriate combat special effect (open and close range). Usually when to fighter engages they are at the optimal range of the longest weapon, but logic can dictate that this may not be the case: Exemple: they are fighting in a small closet, the fight starts abruptly at very close range, or the engagement is the result of a successfull charge (obviously if the charge has success and the charger hit with his weapon, the two foes are now in the range of the smallest weapon.

2. I suppose it could work.

3. I dont' think so. By the rules differences in reach count just if they're at least of two grades, so a quarterstaff works just fine at very long, long and midium reach. At short range, all weapon of long reach and above are considered to beused with the hilt or in other unoptimal way, dealing just 1d3+1 regardless of the original damage. In addition to that, they are considered a size smaller for every range level below the optimal, so the quarterstaff will be considered a small weapon for the purpose of the interaction of attack and parry (but this has no effect on damage).
    You could also just skip the rules for weapon reach, at least untill you and your players are more familiar for the system. They're optional for a reason!

4. There are numerous way- I limit myself to some suggestion. - a) Make your players learn to pick your fight b) Don't always go for the kill- there are many ways of ending a fight without killing the enemies and many reason to do so: Just look at the special effect you can choose: A bandit may very well try to Disarm the enemys and use compell surrender to rub them or their gold, or kidnap them for a ransom. Just slaughtering may have unpleasent consequences, depending on the campaign: They can draw more unwanted attention from the law, or risk a vendetta from the slaughtered's clan. Or they may simply just not be cold blooded murderers just because they're bandit. 3) Keep in mind that look points are an actual life saver. If everything else fail, just consider giving more of them to the players in your campaign.

5. Remember the difference between standard and oppsed rolls (It's one of the reason dodging, even for characters who have the ability to not fall prone after the dodge, are more risky than parrying) You don't have just to made the roll, you have to beat the atacker original roll (that means rolling higher than him, if both of you get the same level of success (ie, both rolled a normal success, ot both rolled a critical: The higher result wins. )