New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Wight Out

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Wight Out

What ways exist at low level to prevent the creation of a wight while killing things via negative levels? For instance Fell Draining Sonic Snaps or Clerics with Death Devotion are relatively simple ways of unintentionally making wights that can be achieved by 1st level characters, so what means are there to prevent accidental Wightpocalpyses?

Wights are corporeal so destruction of corpses might be sufficient to prevent them rising, DM willing, but ideally I'm looking for solutions that wouldn't require DM consultation/fiat.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Wight Out

Consecrate stops the creation of undead.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, anything that permanently kills a vampire seems workable. Burning the body and dousing it in Holy Water (get a Sacred Vessel, BoED) seems like it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nolongerchaos View Post
    What ways exist at low level to prevent the creation of a wight while killing things via negative levels? For instance Fell Draining Sonic Snaps or Clerics with Death Devotion are relatively simple ways of unintentionally making wights that can be achieved by 1st level characters, so what means are there to prevent accidental Wightpocalpyses?

Wights are corporeal so destruction of corpses might be sufficient to prevent them rising, DM willing, but ideally I'm looking for solutions that wouldn't require DM consultation/fiat.
    Find a Hallowed place to bury them. Explicitly stops things from rising as undead, and you only need to worry about the one day. Yes, it requires a highish level spell, but it's Instant, and so lasts until specifically undone.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The rule to which you are referring (DMG page 293) states that by default a character slain by negative levels rises the next night as a wight. The 'next night' part gives you a small window of opportunity to do one of the following which will prevent the creation of a wight.
    • Destroy the body. (Which would be a common practice where undead are found.)
    • Bury the body on Hallowed ground. (You don't have to create it if there are existing Hallowed graveyards and the like available.)
    • Consecrate the area holding the body for the duration of the 'next night'. (Since consecrate has limited duration you need to focus on the 'next night' window, after which you should be fine.)
    • Bring back the dead in some other way. (Raise, Resurrect, and Reincarnate of course, but also turning them into another form of undead.)
    • If you have access to 3.0 spells then Burial Blessing (Defenders of the Faith p.83) is a 1st level cleric spell with permanent duration that prevents a corpse from coming back as undead.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Spawn screen is a level 2 spell from SpC that prevents the target from rising as an undead.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards