New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Need an Earth based boss battle.

This is a big misdirection. He wants to see his players shoot arrows at a mountain while there is just a vampire (and then a lich) in the cavern.

Makes me want to redo that "3 white mages" playthrough. Solo fighter is way to easy.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrakan View Post
    Gosh, it's almost like he expects his players to engage with the scenario the DM gives them instead of deliberately doing everything they can to avoid it. But who ever heard of people playing D&D because they like to battle monsters in interesting ways using thematically appropriate abilities of characters they created instead of trying to break everything because they can.
    Someone who only plays wizards, and as soon as possible, hides in a demi-plane and only sends out projections and summoned minions to do their adventuring for them. IE: Someone that takes part in TO far too much, and not in actual gameplay.

And if any of my players are reading this without having told me, then they're fully capable of not metagaming this in the first place.

Also, yes. You have caught on, Bessa. I am, indeed, very loosely basing the concept for the bosses on FF1.
    Not any of the rest of the game, though, and especially not the BBEG. Chaos was always a somewhat boring final boss, both as a fight and as a villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I INSPIRE AWE IN MY ENEMIES BY SERVING THEM TEA.
    Awesome Avatar courtesy of Ava. Adopt an Avatar today!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

have you decided, or are you still open to suggestions?
    Arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshyo ka?

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    have you decided, or are you still open to suggestions?
    If the party rushes, they could, in theory, hit the encounter in question in 3 weeks.
    Any reasonable suggestions are still entirely welcome.

Heck, if you guys want to make suggestions to the other fights too, that'd be fine.
    Last edited by TheifofZ; 2015-11-14 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I INSPIRE AWE IN MY ENEMIES BY SERVING THEM TEA.
    Awesome Avatar courtesy of Ava. Adopt an Avatar today!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheifofZ View Post
    If the party rushes, they could, in theory, hit the encounter in question in 3 weeks.
    Any reasonable suggestions are still entirely welcome.

Heck, if you guys want to make suggestions to the other fights too, that'd be fine.
    In that case, I think alot about the different phases of matter. Earth doesn't just mean dirt or rock. It can also be metal (ty toph) or lava. Water can be steam or ice.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wind Waker has got you covered. Whenever I'm hurting for boss battle ideas, I just look over Zelda games.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Throw them a curveball and use Scarmiglione, Cagnazzo, Barbaricia and Rubicante. That will be way more original.

I think Cerberus, 2-headed dragon, Echnida and Arhiman were supposed to be that too, but I was never able to tell what element each boss represented. The magnetic cave with a dark elf sorcerer could be cool for an earth based dungeon.

As long as you don't have a bishounen sneak-attack-skewer the party chick with a 2 meter katana, you're pretty safe. No one will ever know were you got those ideas. (Avoid anything with only one wing to be safe, that and underwater football.)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi there! I saw the thread some time ago,but didn't have the to write a proper response. I'll try to do that now.

I'd like to make a suggestion- From your plans forth other elements, it seems that your focus on the elemental battles and aspects, is purely a physical one. But, if you take a bit of a look at the traditional Greek elements, and their more elaborated meanings- be they physical, spiritual, and more, you might be able to create a more engaging experience, a fuller experience. I'll try to detail what I know of these, and some common related themes, and possibly how these can be used...

So... Earth, Water, Air and Fire... Why these 4? Well, in the ancient world, these were actually a very simple, and very basic grasp of basic states of physics/ chemistry: Solid, Fluid, Gas and Energy. The 3 basic states of matter (Yes, I know there are more, but that wasn't apparent then. This won't be an exact physics class) and energy, which is basically- a power of change. These elements were however greatly connected to various themes, concepts, and beliefs. There s an intriguing duality between Earth and Air which act as sort of opposites, and Water and Fire, which can seem opposite, but also share some linked themes.

I'll start with what you've asked about...

Earth
    The earth is the Solid. It is hard, but seldom changes. As such, it is seen as dependable, unchanging, safe, but at the same time, resolute, final, stern. It is in many ways, the force of the inevitable, of things staying the same. (It is no great leap to understand the traditional depicted dwarf culture from this for example). As such, Earth has a few linked themes:
    - The Earth doesn't change: The earth retains it's shape for most times. It is solid, and changes in occur in time gaps longer than we can grasp, so it appear unchanging. It is a certainty. For the most part, this is good, as you can depend on the earth- you can travel on it, you can farm it, you can build upon it. But the changeability can also be problematic, as when you want to change something, it is difficult.
    - The Earth is Safe: This is exceptionally made clear when compared to the other elements: Air, Water and fire, who all change shape, and who seem to be far more dangerous than the Earth. You can stand on the earth ("Both feet on the ground") You can farm on it, you can build on it, you can DEPEND on it.
    - The Earth is Stern, emotionless: The Earth is passive, it does not care, for good or bad, it is just THERE. In many of the myths, forces of the other elements show much more involvement in mortal life, aiding or hindering, they show they care. The Earth does not. It looks on mortals, with it's ancient and unchanging demeanor, and does not care. It is emotionless, in any way that we grasp it.
    - The Earth is the realm of Death: Nothing is more unchangeable than death, so the earth is their realm. We put our dead in the earth, and in many myths, especially the Greek ones, the realms of the dead lie deep under the earth. The Earth is heavily linked with the afterlife, and many attribute undeath and such to it.
    - The Earth holds Secrets: This is less well known, but the earth in many old myths was a sort of repository of secrets, both good and bad. And it was their guardian. I think this came from it also being a realm of the dead, and the fact that people discovered riches in it (Mines), strange geological features (Which were seen as secret portents), and so on... The Earth is the holder of secrets, though it is a silent keeper)
    - The Earth sleeps, yet in awakening it's rage is terrible: Quite a few myths consider the earth a sort of a living dormant creature, but when you wake it, terrible things happen. This came from natural disasters- earthquakes, avalanches and the like. Even D&D I think was influenced by it, with it's myth of the Tarrasque. (Not fully certain here, but I think there is an influence).

Possible ideas for Earth exploration and battles:
    The theme of "Unchanging/ inevitable/ permanent" and so on should be prevalent. Things old as time, be they constructs, undead, or natural phenomena. In the words of agent Smith from the Matrix- " is inevitable". The party is trying to bring change to a place that is it's opposite. Have the party efforts meet with great amount of resistance, but not necessary fights, but just physical hardhips- blocked passges, an impossible climb, and so on... when they do meet guardians, have them be relentless, but also emotionless, feeling timeless, constant, ageless...

As for creatures, I'd suggest to use petrifying creatures (Though I may make the mechanism a bit different, so it's not a Save or Die entirely. I'd look at the PF mechanics, or make petrifying cause dex damage or such). Undead creatures, and "natural" constructs...

Build an atmosphere of "nothing changes", though the exploration may be hard, they are no big surprises, not until... they waken the earth. And when that happens- let all havoc take place! Earthquakes, avalanches, a great roar of a rumble!

Air
    Air is gas, it is the fastest, most volatile, most changing of all elements. It is also unseen, and can be highly destructive. As such, ancient cultures many times linked it with magic.
    - The air is ever changing: Just look at the weather, at a dust devil. The air is the constant force of change, of motion, of movement. It is unpredictable, and has the force to move things. It can be calm as a gentle breeze, it can be horrific like a hurricane.
    - The Air is dangerous: Storms and weather were greatly feared in the old world, due to their unpredictable manner, and their great effect. They could ruin crops, they could cause floods, kill people, drive ships and more. The old world feared the weather, and a lot of old world superstitions and religions focused on appearing the weather.
    - The Air is the realm of the Gods: The sky looked majestic, and the weather was powerful. Many linked the abode of supernatural beings to the sky, and their power to weather (Heaven, Zeus and more). The power of the sky was at many times seen as the gods power, and many leading gods had control over the weather. The very ability to fly, to get INTO the air, was seen as a sign of either powerful magic, or deities, or most likely- both. Even look at depictions of angels and more... wings and being able to fly is important.

Possible ideas for Air exploration and battles:
    Where the earth was predictable, unchanging, the Air is it's exact opposite. Things can quickly change from round to round, and change rules the scene. have random effects, changing conditions, and more. Things should feel fleeting, all the time.

The Air is feared, and as such has great destructive power. Burstf of violent energy or enemies should be common. Whether you'd liek to link it to great magic, or divine beings, is up to you, but angelic beings or such are greatly connected in myth to Air.

Water
    Water is a very intriguing element, and is greatly connected to both the life giving rain, and wells, and to the dangerous sea. While it is the fluid, it is not merely a state between Earth and Sky, but holds it's own concepts.
    - Water is Life: A person can go without food for a long time, but not without water. The connection of this element to life has logn been proven. Fire is similar in this respect.
    - Water is horrible death: Suffocation is one of the worst way to die, and drowning was (and still is) considered horrible. Mostly to sailor, and adventurers at sea, this was a never present awareness, and threat. Again, Fire is a bit similar,only with burning.
    - Water changes: Water is more akin to Air than Earth in this regard, and is seen as a force of change, rather than stability. Again, mostly due to the sea. However, water can be used to travel thoguh less dependent than the Earth.
    - Water is daring, is adventure: Many of the old legends, in many cultures, revolve around sea exploration. A lot of tales of adventure revolve around them, and courage is a great requirement for any who would dare water. Water is exploration, the unknown...
    - Water engulfs: matter can dissolve in water, and even great animals can be engulfed by the sea. Water take things into itself, and make it part of itself. For good, or bad...
    - Water can transform: many alchemical processes are related o solution, to changes of water content (Potions anyone?). As such, it is considered a great changer. It can carve the earth, to make rivers...

Possible ideas for water exploration and battles:
    This should require some great sea/ ocean exploration, and traveling by ship at least for sometime. The unknown, the dangers of traversing water should be clear, as well as their changing nature. In water battles, the possibility of engulfment, fluid enemies who can change shape, and drowning should be prominent.

Fire
    Fire ispwoer stolen from the god. As such, it is soemwhat magic. It can transform meat, it can burn enemies, it can give warmth in the cold, it can change ore to tools, and more, much more. Fire is the energy.
    - Fire is life: Fire as helped lfie so much, it is deeply connected to it.
    - Fire is mortal, human: Out of all the elements, fire is the one that most connects to humanity- it is short lived, it consumes, it flickers and changes, it adapts, it fights, it shines brightly, and then fades away quickly, and it changes... Fire is the tool of humanity, for better or worse, and symbolize the mortal experience.
    - Fire is dangerous: it burns, and that is one of the most terrible pains a person can experience.
    - Fire transforms: the term "A trial by fire" comes from an old belief that matter changes through fire, and so can mortals. Changing hurts, burns, but makes you into something new.
    - Fire is community: The hearth, the bonfire, the tribal council. All of these feature fire in their center, as a place of warmth, of protection, of food. Fire brings people together.
    - Fire is technology: It was one of the basic inventions/ discoveries of humanity, and enabled so much more. Fire is advancement, progress... "Fire of the forge" and all that...
    - Fire consumes: Through all ofi t's benefits, in it's nature, fire is a taker- it consumes wood, flesh, forests and crops, whatever it needs in order to keep on going. Just like mortals...

Possible ideas for fire exploration and battles:
    As the most mortal of all elements, I'd suggest that exploring this elements will not be like the others- not like exploring mostly supernatural or mostly geographical wild locations. Rather, I'd make it about exploring a civilized place, or ruins, with the main opponents be some sort of a community that revers fire, to an extreme. They will be great forgers and inventors, and their combatants passionate, fast moving, fast lived. Fire as a tool for shaping the world, and for shaping life. You can make their power focused on consuming and burning- consuming their own health/ hit points to whatever to burn more brightly, more fiercely for a time.

The theme of transformation, of changing by fire could be made prevalent as well, as fire changes people, or scenes. make them feel the ENERGY!

I hope this helps. Good luck!

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

9. - Top - End - #39

SwashbucklerGuy

Its really quite simple. Take a page from Greek Mythology. Build an NPC with PC class levels of whatever seems appropriate. Have said NPC claim to be the child of Mother Gaia or an Earth based god or similar. Give him Earth Glide at will , as well as Fast Healing and bonuses to his physical ability scores, both of which only apply when he is in contact with earth or rock.

Want to make it more challenging? Change out the Fast Healing for Regeneration, so the only way they can actually beat him is to basically juggle them in midair

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I remembered an encounter I did ages ago for my players, it's mildly relevant to your mountain idea.
    They were on acheron investigating a sudden explosion in the steel predator population.
    Upon arrival they noticed one of the floating steel chunks was literally pouring them out of cave structures.
    A long time of killing preds later, they discovered that the chunk was actually a giant hive like structure. After collapsing the caves, the hive rotated, revealing it was a gigantic crab-like being, the queen with the hive growing on its back.
    Encounter, combat, yadayada.
    Anyway, you could do something like termites or ants, given your earth theme, with the mountain being both hive and queen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I was working on some earth themed encounters for a campain. the most earthy one was as below.

2 Minotaur great horns (MM4 page 100) CR 7 each. Abilities of note:

(ex) earthglide (The thematic ability)
    (ex) tremorsense 120ft (its like xray vision but not)
    (ex) natral cunning, (no flat foot for the rouge)
    (ex,feat bonus) awesome blow knock back 10ft (AoO lock down build maybe?)
    (su) warp earth, (**** over charger builds with no access to fly)

consider swaping the great fortitude and track feats out (why track on a creature with +3 survival. ftw WotC)

Their hammers were use activated items of wall of stone (smash hammer into ground as a standard action to activate and cast Wall of stone at cl what ever)

the fight took place in a large underground arena (my game was a 5 bards game so the fluff around the fight isnt reusable for you really)

The Minotaur's used their hammers in the first round to put walls around the pcs trying to trap and separate them.

Then they would take their time to set up devastating double charges, charging through the walls via earth glide.

This encounter is technically a CR 9 by the book so feel free to dial up with templates (looking at you mineral warrior) minions like mineral warrior goblins. and class levels in runescard beserker.

whats the CR on a CR 7 11HD Minotaur with barbarian 1/runescard berserker 10 ontop? then add the mineral warrior template?

other options include dungeon-crasher fighter and shock-trooper for wall and the throw them into walls.

build them as a king of smack combo pair?

I dont know the level of op for your party but the base encounter can be scaled up thematically to deal with most direct damage style parties. ****ing with LOS with wall gives them options against most

one of the big things would be finding a way to force the pcs to touch the ground all the time. wizards teleporting at mid op shouldn't be a huge issue cause its still costing them action economy. If your in a high op game this encounter might not be suitable without significant metabuilding.
    Last edited by gawwy; 2015-11-26 at 05:47 PM.